• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what the conversation was. If they went behind his back and butchered his movie I could understand he'd be pissed. If they were in agreement that the movie needed a lighter spin due to BvS's poor reception then it's possible he's still on board and even happier that the movie made money despite it's worse than BvS reception.

Agreed.

I was just implying it's easy to see how Ayer would not want to come back for another film based on the stuff tossed around about the overall production of Suicide Squad. Unlike Snyder, Ayer doesn't work at one studio exclusively. He could easily take that $700M+ box office total and the rumored turmoil surrounding SS and land a good gig directing somewhere else citing he could do better if he gets to execute his vision.

Busty

Banned
Aquaman's release date is October 5, 2018.

I have to be honest and say this date, early October for an expensive, VFX heavy, James Wan directed event film, sets off all sorts of alarm bells for me.

I bet this is some kind of placeholder and the studio will see how the fall line up for 2018 shakes out what with Avatar 2 supposed to be launching in December to see when and where they move it. Especially given that they have Fantastic Beasts 2 for November of that year.

But moving Aquaman makes me think that WB are going to out Affleck's Batman film in its old release slot. That's prime scheduling real estate and they won't let it go to waste.

BadAss2961

Why wouldn't he be? He made a successful movie.
Just that nothing's guaranteed, even after success. Deadpool has another director.

Ayer could've left for any number of reasons. Differences with Warner, or even just wanting to do something else. Squad apparently went through a suspect production after all.

So thanks to some always scary fans, Armie Hammer was followed by several folks from DCEU recently including Geoff Johns and David Ayer.

Which usually means something

To be fair, it happened once with Rick Famuyiwa. Jury is still out with John Cleese. Not a trend quite yet.

J_Viper

I have to be honest and say this date, early October for an expensive, VFX heavy, James Wan directed event film, sets off all sorts of alarm bells for me.

I bet this is some kind of placeholder and the studio will see how the fall line up for 2018 shakes out what with Avatar 2 supposed to be launching in December to see when and where they move it. Especially given that they have Fantastic Beasts 2 for November of that year.

But moving Aquaman makes me think that WB are going to out Affleck's Batman film in its old release slot. That's prime scheduling real estate and they won't let it go to waste.

Getting Battfleck earlier than expected would be awesome, but I don't know, Affleck being coy about the whole thing makes me think we won't see it till '19.

Getting Battfleck earlier than expected would be awesome, but I don't know, Affleck being coy about the whole thing makes me think we won't see it till '19.

Joe let it slip filming starts next spring. It's coming 2018 come hell or high water.

Also, if we're getting a Justice League teaser for Rogue One, shouldn't it be classified by ratings boards soon?

Joe let it slip filming starts next spring. It's coming 2018 come hell or high water.

Also, if we're getting a Justice League teaser for Rogue One, shouldn't it be classified by ratings boards soon?

Would have heard something by now I feel. That being said, I also haven't heard about Spider-Man or any other big trailer being rated either. They might have wised up.

a916

I don't get it... we all cheered that Batman (another VFX heavy and their best card up their sleeve) had a month all to itself except horror films. And we're questioning this? I don't get that thinking at all... the "summer blockbuster" window has been expanding to encompass more and more weekends lately as every crams in their own tentpole film.

Nah, we've seen trailers be rated a few days before dropping. Sometimes they get caught early sometimes they don't. For the record, it's way too early to get a trailer. It's utterly useless at this point save for the die hards which will be there for the next trailer anyways.

Nah, we've seen trailers be rated a few days before dropping. Sometimes they get caught early sometimes they don't. For the record, it's way too early to get a trailer. It's utterly useless at this point save for the die hards which will be there for the next trailer anyways.

Well someone who seems to have connections over at those Nolan forums said one is coming very soon.

Busty

Banned
I don't get it... we all cheered that Batman (another VFX heavy and their best card up their sleeve) had a month all to itself except horror films. And we're questioning this? I don't get that thinking at all... the "summer blockbuster" window has been expanding to encompass more and more weekends lately as every crams in their own tentpole film.

Batman was never scheduled for that 'October 2018' release slot. It was just speculation that it would come out at that time.

Unless Warners were inspired by Dr Strange's release in the middle of October I'm still not certain about this.

Ninjimbo

Agreed.

I was just implying it's easy to see how Ayer would not want to come back for another film based on the stuff tossed around about the overall production of Suicide Squad. Unlike Snyder, Ayer doesn't work at one studio exclusively. He could easily take that $700M+ box office total and the rumored turmoil surrounding SS and land a good gig directing somewhere else citing he could do better if he gets to execute his vision.
Do we know if these directors are getting residuals? Because if Ayer can get some for Suicide Squad 2, that could definitely make him come back. I don't know if I like Ayer for a sequel. I'm still kind of mixed on the overall direction of the movie. Technically it was very good with great costumes and a strong grimy look.

I just don't know what happened with those action scenes. The CG was kind of wack too.

What about Raven?
Underrated post.

Do we know if these directors are getting residuals? Because if Ayer can get some for Suicide Squad 2, that could definitely make him come back. I don't know if I like Ayer for a sequel. I'm still kind of mixed on the overall direction of the movie. Technically it was very good with great costumes and a strong grimy look.

I just don't know what happened with those action scenes. The CG was kind of wack too.

Underrated post.

I'd like to see Ayer given a proper production cycle if those rumors regarding SS were true. Sounds like he pitched the idea and hit the ground running with no chance to really think or reconsider anything. However, Ayer is pretty hit or miss as a director.

a916

Batman was never scheduled for that 'October 2018' release slot. It was just speculation that it would come out at that time.

Unless Warners were inspired by Dr Strange's release in the middle of October I'm still not certain about this.

Hitting Strange's numbers would be a dream goal for them.

If we're talking about The Batman, if it hits those numbers, this entire cinematic universe gets blown up.

If we're talking about Aquaman, I think they would be thrilled with Strange numbers.

All depends on which movie he was referring to in his post. I think he's talking about Aquaman though.

Litan

If we're talking about The Batman, if it hits those numbers, this entire cinematic universe gets blown up.

If we're talking about Aquaman, I think they would be thrilled with Strange numbers.

All depends on which movie he was referring to in his post. I think he's talking about Aquaman though.

Ah, yes.
He meant Aquaman. In which, yeah, Strange numbers would be awesome.

I'm really surprised they didn't have character designs and tests in the hands of a select few like Snyder, Wilkerson, and co at the time. The fact Ayer had a say in these designs shouldn't have been allowed to happen to be completely honest.

a916

I'm really surprised they didn't have character designs and tests in the hands of a select few like Snyder, Wilkerson, and co at the time. The fact Ayer had a say in these designs shouldn't have been allowed to happen to be completely honest.

I strongly agree with this. Ayer should not have been able to make this big of a stamp on it. Something like the Joker or Harley costumes is something that should be seen from well above him. Someone who's overseeing the entire thing.

It didn't bug me before but it does bug me now. It's so strange that they have a guy (Wilkerson) who's just nailed the JL costumes out of the park and they didn't use him again for this.

What's the problem? Those concepts are awful, but his outfits in the movie were great.

I feel the Joker is garbage both in terms of design and who they cast. I was willing to give it a chance before and I even defended it, but after seeing the execution, it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Killer Croc is another example. You almost need to introduce the Titan formula or something to reboot the character IMO.

J_Viper

Scrap Leto's Joker and just recast/revamp. We can pretend it didn't happen like Norton Hulk

I think Leto still has potential, he just needs a script that isn't hot garbage.

That said, if recasting is an option, my choice is Walton Goggins.

Man that'd be tight.

Kibbles

Didn't Ayer say that Leto played a key role in figuring out the Joker's look?

*edit - As for the previous page, oh man, Armie Hammer would make a great Hal Jordan.
I think Ayer has only said Jared's contribution was shaving his eyebrows. Jared said in a few interviews the design was all David Ayers imagination.

To be fair the final was a lot better than those shit tests and maybe that's what he meant by figuring out Jokers look once they got a dose of reality of how shitty those looks were. Still smh @ all this really would've liked to see Snyder's interpretation.

tumblr_ohnd2uyids1uwii26o1_r1_540.gif

There are moments in Suicide Squad that sell me on Leto Joker, two of which are in the extended cut. They cut and reshot so many of his scenes that what's there in whole is quite a mess.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I know you guys realize that they do HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of concept drawings for these movies, right? We never see all of them. Even in the art books, they're taking a select few which they consider "finished art" to show you. Every artist will do tons of drawings for every costume with slight tweaks here and there and you'll never see them. We had so many for our characters in our game that it was mind boggling. I wish we could show them all, but for reasons above my pay grade they don't release them.

a916

I think Ayer has only said Jared's contribution was shaving his eyebrows. Jared said in a few interviews the design was all David Ayers imagination.

To be fair the final was a lot better than those shit tests and maybe that's what he meant by figuring out Jokers look once they got a dose of reality of how shitty those looks were. Still smh @ all this really would've liked to see Snyder's interpretation.

tumblr_ohnd2uyids1uwii26o1_r1_540.gif

He does look good, but he doesn't necessarily look like he fits in the BvS/MoS... I feel like there's something special about the JL costumes... and there's something very street level about SS. It's a different aesthetic.

Leto is such a talented actor, however you need a director to come in and guide that talent.

He does look good, but he doesn't necessarily look like he fits in the BvS/MoS... I feel like there's something special about the JL costumes... and there's something very street level about SS. It's a different aesthetic.

Leto is such a talented actor, however you need a director to come in and guide that talent.

Street level is pretty much Ayer's thing. Only movie he's really got away from it was Fury and the setting kinda forced his hand.

BadAss2961

This is good. Different visions from different directors. I much prefer it this way over a uniform approach across all movies.

Whenever Affleck takes Leto's Joker into a Batman film, whatever adjustments needed to make things work will be made. But I like the thought of these different aesthetics coming together... Like just thinking about how this Batman and this Joker will interact is very interesting. Had Suicide Squad been more akin to Snyder's movies, or Joker was more of what you'd expect, these encounters wouldn't be quite as interesting. They'd be more predictable.

Different visions coming together keeps the novelty fresh. Marvel lost that a long time ago with their uniform approach.

firelogic

This is good. Different visions from different directors. I much prefer it this way over a uniform approach across all movies.

Whenever Affleck takes Leto's Joker into a Batman film, whatever adjustments needed to make things work will be made. But I like the thought of these different aesthetics coming together... Like just thinking about how this Batman and this Joker will interact is very interesting. Had Suicide Squad been more akin to Snyder's movies, or Joker was more of what you'd expect, these encounters wouldn't be quite as interesting. They'd be more predictable.

Different visions coming together keeps the novelty fresh. Marvel lost that a long time ago with their uniform approach.

I agree completely. I look forward to a director bringing their own vision to a movie, whether it turns out well or badly. A completely uniform styles makes for a boring experience. Especially over a lengthy series of 14+ movies

Ninjimbo

Aquaman pulling in Strange numbers would definitely be fantastic, that would put it on par with Man of Steel.
I just can't see a character like Aquaman putting up numbers the like a Marvel movie. Even if the movie ends up great, I just don't know if the audience is there. A lot is riding on Snyder's take on the character, actually.

Cross your fingers guys.

James Wan
Horror influence
Hueg marketing
Coming off the heels of a fantastic Justice League appearance (prays)
Neverbeforeseen superhero concept and technical wizardy (Atlantis)

It'll be fresh. It'll be fine. It'll be fish.

a916

James Wan
Horror influence
Hueg marketing
Coming off the heels of a fantastic Justice League appearance (prays)
Neverbeforeseen superhero concept and technical wizardy (Atlantis)

It'll be fresh. It'll be fine. It'll be fish.

It all depends on Justice League, IM3 was terrible, but that push it got after Avengers was crazy.

kmfdmpig

Iron Man 3 was a bit divisive, but audiences and critics, for the most part enjoyed it. It's also very accessible to mass audiences as it's a fun/funny movie and the one complaint about Mandarin (of all things to care about) matters only to die-hard comic fans, not mass audiences.
Personally, I loved IM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom