• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goooooooooooooooooood. Hold it until Spring.

Pffffft, motherfuckers aren't gonna make it to February. People are already crying in Johns' mentions on a near daily basis.

Well, you have to remember the argument. It wasn't being spoiled on what happens so much as it was being shown any of it in the trailers. Every one with even a smidgen of intelligence knew the movie was going to end up with Bats and Supes working together but they didn't want it to be shown in the trailers. It negates the title of the movie.

I know the argument, and months later it's still not a good one. What difference does it make not being shown it if you already know it's coming?

Loxley

Not all-that surprising. A bummer, but there's no reason for them to release it now and have it get drowned out by the other big trailers and the attention for Rogue One. The film is still as a ways out, so early 2017 makes more sense.

Effect

Well, you have to remember the argument. It wasn't being spoiled on what happens so much as it was being shown any of it in the trailers. Every one with even a smidgen of intelligence knew the movie was going to end up with Bats and Supes working together but they didn't want it to be shown in the trailers. It negates the title of the movie.

That argument still makes no damn sense at all. However it could have been seen as an example of the stupid that was to come from people in regard to how they would complained about that film.

WB could always just decide to drop the trailer at any point and make as big of a deal about as they want. It doesn't actually have to be attached to a film.

a916

Collider Movie Talk brings up a good point today... pushing back Justice League 2 and talk about a Harley Quinn spinoff is just more reactionary haphazard planning for WB... almost like they don't have a plan. (leaving Batman off the roadmap is one of the dumbest things they did when announcing the original slate)

Patty Jenkins hasn't made a major motion picture in 10 years. Monster was her only theatrical release, everything else was (good) TV stuff. You make it sound like she was Landis-ing this shit, dicking around making mediocre trash.

I am a firm believer that if she wanted to be in charge of 3 movies a year from now until the bank breaks on this super hero stuff, it's not the person who's last movie was 13 years ago. I'm not saying she's terrible but she's not right for the role either.

Goooooooooooooooooood. Hold it until Spring.

Agreed. In their attempt to keep topping the last BvS trailer, they kept showing more and more, the Doomsday and Wonder Woman reveals being a little too much

Ross61

Collider Movie Talk brings up a good point today... pushing back Justice League 2 and talk about a Harley Quinn spinoff is just more reactionary haphazard planning for WB... almost like they don't have a plan. (leaving Batman off the roadmap is one of the dumbest things they did when announcing the original slate)

I am a firm believer that if she wanted to be in charge of 3 movies a year from now until the bank breaks on this super hero stuff, it's not the person who's last movie was 13 years ago. I'm not saying she's terrible but she's not right for the role either.

Agreed. In their attempt to keep topping the last BvS trailer, they kept showing more and more, the Doomsday and Wonder Woman reveals being a little too much

Things were bound to change regarding character reception and sequels. What part is reactionary haphazardly planning?

J_Viper

ben-affleck-sad-smoke-002.nocrop.w670.h446.jpg

Oh well. I think Live by Night is the next wide WB release, so we might see it in late January.

Or maybe we'll all be dead by then.

ryan299

Patrick Wilson to play Ocean Master in Aquaman via Deadline

Patrick Wilson has been set by Warner Bros and director James Wan to costar in Aquaman. Jason Momoa plays the title character, and Wilson will play the fish whisperer’s super-villain half brother ORM, also known as Ocean Master, in the DC film that Warner Bros will release October 5, 2018.

a916

Things were bound to change regarding character reception and sequels. What part is reactionary haphazardly planning?

Announcing a Flash director... then realising months later it's not a fit... then doing the exact same thing again. I'm not sure how you realise months down the road, twice now, there's a fundamental creative difference.

Floating a Batman movie somewhere in the schedule but not knowing how it fits... when that should be the highest priority along with the two other trinity members.

Justice League being re-written while on set reacting to BvS and then SS reception.

6 weeks to write a Suicide Squad movie, then massive editing problems reacting to BvS reception. (that was a rushed mess).

I mean the narrative changes when they start consistently dropping quality films, but until then, it's an issue. Being able to adapt and being reactionary is a fine line... and usually that judgement comes with hindsight.

Patrick Wilson to play Ocean Master via Deadline

Good casting. Aquaman along with Batman are my biggest hopes for DC to make a critical hit. (I say this even though BvS is my favorite movie of the year)

There are two ways I can see it going down: Orm is the villain in Aquaman. Or Orm as villain is saved for the sequel and helps Arthur with Black Manta in 1. Personally, I'd rather have the second option, if only to get Manta sooner than later.

In other news, Wonder Woman isn't a UN Ambassador anymore 'cause people whined about it.

Ross61

Announcing a Flash director... then realising months later it's not a fit... then doing the exact same thing again. I'm not sure how you realise months down the road, twice now, there's a fundamental creative difference.

Floating a Batman movie somewhere in the schedule but not knowing how it fits... when that should be the highest priority along with the two other trinity members.

Justice League being re-written while on set reacting to BvS and then SS reception.

6 weeks to write a Suicide Squad movie, then massive editing problems reacting to BvS reception. (that was a rushed mess).

I mean the narrative changes when they start consistently dropping quality films, but until then, it's an issue. Being able to adapt and being reactionary is a fine line... and usually that judgement comes with hindsight.

Good casting. Aquaman along with Batman are my biggest hopes for DC to make a critical hit. (I say this even though BvS is my favorite movie of the year)

It seems that Rick and WB had the same idea for Flash until he wanted to dig deeper into racial and social political themes. They both wanted a fundamentally fun film, just disagreed on it being a socially conscious film.

And a director wasn't know for some time when Batman was first chosen. They literally had to be begging for Affleck to direct it. Without a director, any date on the slate is temporary.

The only JL rewrites known at the time has to deal with The Batman movie.

And Ayer has written better in scripts in less time, he really doesn't have an excuse.

a916

It seems that Rick and WB had the same idea for Flash until he wanted to dig deeper into racial and social political themes. They both wanted a fundamentally fun film, just disagreed on it being a socially conscious film.

And a director wasn't know for some time when Batman was first chosen. They literally had to be begging for Affleck to direct it. Without a director, any date on the slate is temporary.

And Ayer has written better in scripts in less time, he really doesn't have an excuse.

Going into production with a bad script is setting yourself up to failure.

To make a great film you need three things – the script, the script, and the script. - Alfred Hitchcock

Comments like this have me wary that Batman will be ready in time for a 2018 release

They apparently delayed JL2 for batman anyways so 2019 is the new slot for it. Likely because of this. I imagine WB wants to handle batman with the kid gloves since it's batman and just let him take his time

J_Viper

They apparently delayed JL2 for batman anyways so 2019 is the new slot for it. Likely because of this. I imagine WB wants to handle batman with the kid gloves since it's batman and just let him take his time

It'd just be crazy for WB to only have Aquaman in 2018, while Marvel will bring Black Panther and Infinity War

Though I suppose trying to copy Marvel is what got them into this mess anyway

EDIT: Never mind, WB will crush Marvel with this

Comments like this have me wary that Batman will be ready in time for a 2018 release

Ben will continue to say shit like this until they officially put a date on it. Joe let the cat out of the bag when he said it starts filming in April/May of next year. I can't see WB sitting on Batman for 18+ months just cause. Aquaman vacated July 27th, 2018 for a reason. Ben is picking up that Nolan Batman release window.

Penguin

It'd just be crazy for WB to only have Aquaman in 2018, while Marvel will bring Black Panther and Infinity War

Though I suppose trying to copy Marvel is what got them into this mess anyway

EDIT: Never mind, WB will crush Marvel with this

The Flash can still make summer 2018

Won't make March, but June-Aug if start production early next year. Have a script and a cast

Effect

The Flash can still make summer 2018

Won't make March, but June-Aug if start production early next year. Have a script and a cast

I do wonder how solid they feel or will feel about Tomb Raider. That's suppose to be released in March 2018. No reason why that couldn't do well. There is nothing wrong with translating that material to film and it was done before to decent success. If they're confident about that and can remove the "game" aura around it they could just let that have the March date to itself. Problem is that's not completely WB's film so they'd likely want to push something that was 100% theirs given the chance.

Nothing else could be pushed into the slot unless they have something no one knows about that is superhero related but doesn't require a lot of special effects. Possible but unlikely. They'll just have to give up the slot if they don't move Aquaman up but I don't think that should be rushed to just fill the gap.

Bleepey

End of Watch I believe was written in like a week. If I recall.

Also: back from my one month ban, so I guess I better go back to defending BVS! I didn't realise an I told you so thread was against the TOS but hey it's something you learn. I now know how Cassandra in Greek mythology felt. For shits and giggles I made a flowchart of Lex's plan in BVS looking at how he manipulated everyone in the movie. There is a pretty logical progression to everything he did.

a916

“We still have to get a screenplay and get it together,” Affleck explained. “I’m a real believer in not reverse engineering projects to meet a window or a date, but rather when you get the right story, the right idea, the right thing, then you make the movie. That’s what we’re doing, and I’m hoping to get that done. I’m spending a lot of time working on that, but also working on other stuff.”
- Comments like this is are what we NEED to be hearing.

Especially after that hot mess that was Suicide Squad and the 4-6 weeks it took to write the script.

J_Viper

Especially after that hot mess that was Suicide Squad and the 4-6 weeks it took to write the script.

It's for the best, absolutely. But...jeeze man, I'm gonna be 25 by the time it comes out.

Speaking of age, Ben's gonna be close to 50 once the solo flick hits. He's already looking pretty damn old. I wonder how much longer he'd play the role afterwards.

Ross61

Ayer is directing and producing Gotham City Sirens make of that what you will.

Personally thought it should go to a female director.

Boke1879

I personally thought SS was a more coherent film and straight forward. Yea you saw the difference in tone, but they made their money. Their happy.

Hopefully with Gotham City Sirens they let Ayer and Margot do their thing.

mooncakes

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...robbie-reteam-all-female-dc-villains-project-

The filmmaker, who directed Warner Bros.’ all-bad guy comic book movie Suicide Squad, is reuniting with that film’s star, Margot Robbie, for Gotham City Sirens, a feature project that will showcase the top female villains from the DC stable, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Ayer will direct and produce the project with Robbie reprising her role as Harley Quinn.

The studio is still developing a Squad sequel as well as looking into a spin-off featuring Deadshot, the assassin character played by Will Smith.

a916

Hopefully he's given more time to figure out a good story before being tossed into the fire again.

Nice to see WB didn't give up on him but this isn't a film I care about... WB's priorities are so out of wack it's not even funny... how is Sirens getting a push but not a damn Superman sequel? Or Green Lantern... or that Shazam movie while the Rock stars in one new movie a week?

THR

Geneva Robertson-Dworet Is writing the script.

That's a no name... she has Tomb Raider, Dungeons and Dragons, and Sherlock 3 under her credit but none of those are out.

Hopefully he's given more time to figure out a good story before being tossed into the fire again.

Nice to see WB didn't give up on him but this isn't a film I care about... WB's priorities are so out of wack it's not even funny... how is Sirens getting a push but not a damn Superman sequel? Or Green Lantern... or that Shazam movie while the Rock stars in one new movie a week?

That's a no name... she has Tomb Raider, Dungeons and Dragons, and Sherlock 3 under her credit but none of those are out.

Because harley Quinn is more popular right now than those characters for licensing and media. Strike while the iron is still hot. Superman is forever. Can make that another time.

Also they're clearly scared shitless of doing green Lantern again for a little while haha

Boke1879

Because harley is hot Iron right now, The fans want more

I'm surprised that Ayer is back, in that WB asked him to come back AND Ayer agreed. I always assumed that Ayer would be harboring some silent rage that WB edited the film to hell but I guess the final version being Ayers cut wasn't just PR talk. Even though I'm one of the people that enjoyed it and didn't think it was near as bad as everyone says, I still think it could have been so much more. The movie made bank though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're happy.

a916

Because harley is hot Iron right now, The fans want more

Because harley Quinn is more popular right now than those characters for licensing and media. Strike while the iron is still hot. Superman is forever. Can make that another time.

Also they're clearly scared shitless of doing green Lantern again for a little while haha

So is Batman... give her as much screentime as Joker in SS and make a Batman movie. Focus on the Batman before they focus on a Deadshot spinoff and a Harley spinoff... and The Rock is probably one of the biggest draws right now and WB is just sitting on their hands with that.

I, for the record, don't think Harley can carry a film and she breaks down the closer she get's pushed as a lead.

Boke1879

So is Batman... give her as much screentime as Joker in SS and make a Batman movie. Focus on the Batman before they focus on a Deadshot spinoff and a Harley spinoff... and The Rock is probably one of the biggest draws right now and WB is just sitting on their hands with that.

I, for the record, don't think Harley can carry a film and she breaks down the closer she get's pushed as a lead.

Which is why she's in a film with Catwoman and Ivy. It's essentially another teamup movie. I bet that Deadshot movie isn't even fucking close to being a reality. You know why Batman isn't being pushed because Affleck wants to do it at his own pace.

and TBH we don't really know what's going on with Rock or Shazam. Margot and Ivy are hot right now. This is probably something all sides agreed to relatively quickly especially with Ayer coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom