• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

X-Men movies, despite their poor quality, make bank so I think it'll make some money.

They have as many misses as hits, the performance of Logan will be very interesting. The trailer looks great and they are taking a risk making it R, but we'll see if it resonates

LionPride

Banned
They have as many misses as hits, the performance of Logan will be very interesting. The trailer looks great and they are taking a risk making it R, but we'll see if it resonates

Hits: First Class, The Wolverine until the last part of the movie fell apart, Deadpool if you wanna count it

Misses: Everything else

Ninjimbo

X1, X2, and Days of Future Past are critically acclaimed along with First Class. Xmen is a fine franchise. It practically birthed the superhero craze.

Don't disrespect it.

LionPride

Banned
X1, X2, and Days of Future Past are critically acclaimed along with First Class. Xmen is a fine franchise. It practically birthed the superhero craze.

Don't disrespect it.

There would be no MCU no DCEU without X-Men in 2000. It created the modern super hero craze.

Okay, they ain't good movies. X2 is aight. DOFP is garbo, X1 is garbo, X3 is garbo, Origins is garbo, and Apocalypse is garbo

I don't care what they did in the past, watching them now they are bad. Terrible, terrible X-Men movies. That's why the best X-Men movie is the one that feels the least like an X-Men movie.

X2 is one of the GOATs. And dofp was the best comic movie of 2014 which happened to be the strongest year for the mcu to date.

Logan looks so good too. I hope it's just him vs the reavers. Please no big scale superpower fuckery.

LionPride stays being wrong about it all.

LionPride

Banned
TDKR is awesome. I still don't know why Icon and other people hate it so much lol

The trilogy is great. It had it's high as a Batman film with Begins, as a fantastic film with TDK, and as a good end with TDKR

I just wanna know what would've happened if Ledger didn't die

Dead

well not really...yet
TDKR is awesome. I still don't know why Icon and other people hate it so much lol
literally impossible to watch without laughing uncontrollably throughout the flick IMO

edit: internet bane shitposting may have made it worse in retrospect. but its comical in many areas aside from that.

I still believe I came across an interview where Jonathan talked about turning over a 300-400 page first draft for Chris to shape into the final product. If I wasn't having a fever dream and the interview actually exists, I'd love to see what was first handed over cause the movie comes across as something that was a lot bigger but got boiled down to the bullet points.

I think it's clear Chris wanted to get out of the Batman game ASAP and the thought of having something that could span a two part film is something he wanted nothing to do with.

Dead

well not really...yet
That scene with the cops running towards the bane mercs outside the courthouse

good lord one of the worst things ever filmed haha

Yeah its pretty disappointing but god damn did I grin during that finale montage. And Selina Kyle > any other female character in comic films since. Just speaking from a performance standpoint. She's so sly.

BadAss2961

Yeah its pretty disappointing but god damn did I grin during that finale montage. And Selina Kyle > any other female character in comic films since. Just speaking from a performance standpoint. She's so sly.
She was good under the circumstances, but could've been a lot better in a smaller scale movie that could give her more focus. The costume and Nolan's vision of her weren't the best either.
yeah TDKR is rough in spots (the fights) but Bane was a terrific villain, very charismatic. and the ending was beautiful. so I think it's always worth a rewatch.

Agree with all this.

LionPride

Banned

When I think Catwoman, that isn't what I think. I'm all for different takes...if they're good. That wasn't good

Ninjimbo

One day, just for you Ninji, I will go into great detail everything I hate about TDKR.
I'm down to read it, or watch your livestream of you watching it.

I still believe I came across an interview where Jonathan talked about turning over a 300-400 page first draft for Chris to shape into the final product. If I wasn't having a fever dream and the interview actually exists, I'd love to see what was first handed over cause the movie comes across as something that was a lot bigger but got boiled down to the bullet points.

I think it's clear Chris wanted to get out of the Batman game ASAP and the thought of having something that could span a two part film is something he wanted nothing to do with.
I remember those details too. The movie does feel like it was really, really big and we got a truncated version of that story. I think Nolan cut it down simply because he had to. There was no way he was going to go three hours though that's what everyone probably wanted. I know I did.

One thing Nolan does consistently great are his ending. It's a strange this to praise, but while I have my issues with Rises, it has such a strong ending that I leave it on a positive note.

So many blockbusters just peter out to the credits. Even ones I really like. I'd put BvS in that camp, too. The little dirt rising tease did very little for me. Had they ended it on Bruce's men are still good speech, it'd be better.

Ninjimbo

One thing Nolan does consistently great are his ending. It's a strange this to praise, but while I have my issues with Rises, it has such a strong ending that I leave it on a positive note.

So many blockbusters just peter out to the credits. Even ones I really like. I'd put BvS in that camp, too. The little dirt rising tease did very little for me. Had they ended it on Bruce's men are still good speech, it'd be better.
Nolan is strong with his endings. Inception might be his weakest but that one had so many people talking. You can say it did its job.

BvS tho, watching the dirt rise as the Krypton theme kicks into full blast still gives me chills. Superhero movies tend to have derivative third acts. There's nothing really surprising about them and you kind of know that they're just going to set up shit for the next movie, but BvS has one of the stronger ones. It does a few things different and it remains graceful while doing it. The music when it's funeral time and the accompanying montage of everybody mourning. Badass stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet

The whole BvS ending sequence works for me thanks to the way the dirt rising syncs with the ethereal Krypton theme right as the credits roll. Super memorable credits transition to my eyes and ears.

IconGrist

Nolan's action is his weak point, but that scene with Bats getting wrecked in the sewer by Bane was excellent.

That is honestly my least favorite part. I hate just about everything about it. The dialog. The choreography. The framing. I always have this weird look on my face when people praise it and I have a moment where I say to myself that I must be the weird one.

LionPride

Banned
That is honestly my least favorite part. I hate just about everything about it. The dialog. The choreography. The framing. I always have this weird look on my face when people praise it and I have a moment where I say to myself that I must be the weird one.

Yeah, you are. That scene is one of my favorite scenes in a comic book movie. Just everything about it is brutal and in your face about it. There is no doubt that you just saw this character who has fought valiantly against any threat god absolutely destroyed by Bane.

Ninjimbo

Actually Icon, I think I'm with you there. Bane is supposed to be a beast in combat and so is Bats, but both of them in that fight look like they're having trouble moving. Bane is beating down Batman and none of his punches look like they could put a dent in that suit. I've always thought it looked weak. It didn't help that I had already seen The Raid by this point.

Compare that shit to what Snyder gave us in BvS. That shot of Batman continuously punching that dude near the end. Snyder doesn't cut away, instead he just lets it linger on Batman as he hurls away and you feel all the force of each individual swing. You never see the aftermath of that little sequence and yet you come away knowing Batman fucked up that bad guy big time. Snyder is leagues ahead.

TDKR was fine seeing it for the first time and there are parts that are good. However, when you watch it again, it starts to fall apart. Nolan desperately needed a second unit director for the fight scenes. I think he handles the vehicles stuff well.

It doesn't help that leading up to the film, they talked about wanting a physical threat for Batman, but failed to realize that is Chris' biggest weakness as a director IMO.

BadAss2961

TDKR was fine seeing it for the first time and there are parts that are good. However, when you watch it again, it starts to fall apart. Nolan desperately needed a second unit director for the fight scenes. I think he handles the vehicles stuff well.

It doesn't help that leading up to the film, they talked about wanting a physical threat for Batman, but failed to realize that is Chris' biggest weakness as a director IMO.
Bane was a physical threat to Batman though. Made Baleman look like Ronda Rousey in that sewer fight. Spared his life to make him suffer more.

Fight quality aside, it is what it is.

Nolan's masterful ditecting ability was on full display in that Sewer Bane fight. On the big screen, the tension and emotion masked the poor action completely

He couldnt do that for every action scene though, but it worked where it mattered

Firemind

Nolan's action is his weak point, but that scene with Bats getting wrecked in the sewer by Bane was excellent.
Nolan made a mockery of Knightfall and I will forever despise him for that.

Yeah, you are. That scene is one of my favorite scenes in a comic book movie. Just everything about it is brutal and in your face about it. There is no doubt that you just saw this character who has fought valiantly against any threat god absolutely destroyed by Bane.
That's the thing. Batman wasn't even exhausted or anything and he got destroyed. He isn't a newbie anymore. The "But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!" line doesn't even make sense. Batman can't see shit or something? And the way Selina led him to an obvious trap. Just terrible Batmanners all around. #notmybatman

LionPride

Banned
Nolan made a mockery of Knightfall and I will forever despise him for that.

That's the thing. Batman wasn't even exhausted or anything and he got destroyed. He isn't a newbie anymore. The "But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!" line doesn't even make sense. Batman can't see shit or something? And the way Selina led him to an obvious trap. Just terrible Batmanners all around. #notmybatman
So did you forget that it was nearly pitch black or something?

Raptor

X2 is one of the GOATs. And dofp was the best comic movie of 2014 which happened to be the strongest year for the mcu to date.

Logan looks so good too. I hope it's just him vs the reavers. Please no big scale superpower fuckery.

LionPride stays being wrong about it all.

X2 Nightcrawler sequence is one of the GOATS.

The rest is up there with Apocalypse as pure garbage mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom