• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambrez_

To talk about something else, saw a rumor about Jeff Bridges playing Darkseid.
I'm waiting for an official word before hyping myself, but I'd love the choice.

guek

Banned
It's the industry standard, you see it in tv spots now. Even just very casual filmgoers refer to it when deciding to see a movie. It is pretty universal these days.
The Dead Sea is the saltiest body on Earth next to Badass2961. You're talking to a guy who will happily stan for Suicide Squad while calling the MCU superficial garbage with the same breath, all without a hint of irony.

The Dead Sea is the saltiest body on Earth next to Badass2961. You're taking to a guy who will happily stan for Suicide Squad while calling the MCU superficial garbage with the same breath, all without a hint of irony.

Is this true? The bolded. Not touching the rest lol..

Much of the mcu and Suicide Squad both suck. SS just sucks the most. I don't care for RT, but at the same time I think its absurd to expect general audiences to be more scrutinous and follow certain critics opinions. They don't got time for that.

Also at the end of the day we can be mad about some movies getting shit RT and others being too high etc. But really franchises like marvel and now the DCEU I believe are immune to its effects. The next sub 20 percent DC movie will make bank.

BadAss2961

It's the industry standard, you see it in tv spots now. Even just very casual filmgoers refer to it when deciding to see a movie. It is pretty universal these days.
And it's sad because there's a culture around it that uses the score to decide on movies before they ever see them, if they ever see them. The line between critical and general approval is vanishing since a growing number of people are only getting behind what critics tell them is okay to like. Live By Night isn't even out yet, but GAF has already decided. Same thing happened to gaming, review culture hit it a long time ago.

Plus it doesn't take much to be a 'critic' and have your grade count these days.
The Dead Sea is the saltiest body on Earth next to Badass2961. You're taking to a guy who will happily stan for Suicide Squad while calling the MCU superficial garbage with the same breath, all without a hint of irony.

You're no better. Everyone here has witnessed myself and others legit hurt your feelings numerous times over some MCU tripe. I'm the DC stan, you're the MCU stan, and somehow you're here more than I am.

guek

Banned
Much of the mcu and Suicide Squad both suck. SS just sucks the most. I don't care for RT, but at the same time I think its absurd to expect general audiences to be more scrutinous and follow certain critics opinions. They don't got time for that.

Also at the end of the day we can be mad about some movies getting shit RT and others being too high etc. But really franchises like marvel and now the DCEU I believe are immune to its effects.

That's reasonable, though of course I don't agree about some of your movie assessments. The only other caveat is I don't believe any movie is truly immune to reviews. Not that that's a testable theory since no matter what, you have a sample size of one.

You're no better. Everyone here has witnessed myself and others legit hurt your feelings numerous times over some MCU tripe.

LOL. Sure, buddy.

Ninjimbo

Is this true? The bolded. Not touching the rest lol..
It's true. Like 98% salted water or something like that.

RT is the movie version of the Metacritic score bs that pervades videogames nowadays. It's so weird seeing that metascore being thrown around like it's gospel. Whatever tho. Mankind Divided was my GOTY.

It's true. Like 98% salted water or something like that.

RT is the movie version of the Metacritic score bs that pervades videogames nowadays. It's so weird seeing that metascore being thrown around like it's gospel. Whatever tho. Mankind Divided was my GOTY.

Shit..that's a lot of salt!

As for RT..I really don't understand why folks get so hung up on that shit. Just like you mentioned with Metacritic, I never understood how some friends would straight skip a game based on what some folks opinion was. My dude Discotheque and I have extremely different taste for certain things, but can agree on a few others. For that reason alone, I'd rather go myself and judge for myself, because what he calls garbage might just end up being something that touched me in a different way completely and one of my favorites.

Don't get me wrong, tho..I love those threads. I just laugh at folks getting angry about a number. lol..Who gives a shit? That's not gonna change your enjoyment. You're still grabbing that bluray on release day. Like what you like. You obviously feel different and only adding fuel the harder you argue about it. Trust me. I'm an expert..😉

Yager

Banned
giphy.gif

Cheebo

Banned
Shit..that's a lot of salt!

As for RT..I really don't understand why folks get so hung up on that shit. Just like you mentioned with Metacritic, I never understood how some friends would straight skip a game based on what some folks opinion was. My dude Discotheque and I have extremely different taste for certain things, but can agree on a few others. For that reason alone, I'd rather go myself and judge for myself, because what he calls garbage might just end up being something that touched me in a different way completely and one of my favorites.

Don't get me wrong, tho..I love those threads. I just laugh at folks getting angry about a number. lol..Who gives a shit? That's not gonna change your enjoyment. You're still grabbing that bluray on release day. Like what you like. You obviously feel different and only adding fuel the harder you argue about it. Trust me. I'm an expert..��
I think a lot get upset about it not being well received not about how they themselves view the movie but because it impacts how others perceive it, how willing others are to go see it.

In theory a Deadpool movie should not make more than a movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But it did. And it also happened to have much much better reviews.

The RT score doesn't change how you may see it but domestically it has a significant influence on how the movie is received and its box office intake.

Penguin

I think a lot get upset about it not being well received not about how they themselves view the movie but because it impacts how others perceive it, how willing others are to go see it.

In theory a Deadpool movie should not make more than a movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But it did. And it also happened to have much much better reviews.

The RT score doesn't change how you may see it but domestically it has a significant influence on how the movie is received and its box office intake.

O_O

BvS 872 million
Deadpool 760

Even if you remove China, BvS still made more money

Yes, I know you're talking about domestic, but usually people compare worldwide gross.

Cheebo

Banned
O_O

BvS 872 million
Deadpool 760

Even if you remove China, BvS still made more money

Yes, I know you're talking about domestic, but usually people compare worldwide gross.

Domestic yes, because that is where RT scores are significant and I was talking about RT's relationship to boxoffice gross. Although lets be honest Deadpool losing to a Superman and Batman team-up movie only 100 mil worldwide is insane.

BvS didn't gross elite tier super hero $ like the Dark Knight films, Iron Man 3, Avengers, or Civil War.

Batman vs. Superman was more a B tier super hero film worldwide in the camp of Guardians of the Galaxies, Deadpool, Days of Future Past, Spider-Man

Cheebo

Banned
Domestic box office is a boring stat. Da gawd James Cameron made worldwide grosses look more eye popping after titanic

Worldwide doesn't really help the DCEU as BvS didn't gross like the big MCU movies, and no one would argue Justice League is going to gross anywhere near films like Avengers or Iron Man 3. Or The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises.

In all honesty Spider-Man: Homecoming is a far safer bet to gross over a billion than Justice League at this point.

Domestic box office is a boring stat. Da gawd James Cameron made worldwide grosses look more eye popping after titanic

I love that we live in a world where only two directors have ever pulled off two billion. JJ Abrams and James Cameron.

I think the dark knight rises level gross could perhaps happen for justice league

I don't see spiderman passing it in numbers despite how huge the character is (with stark to boot)

International audiences love their bombastic spectacles more than anything else

Cheebo

Banned
I think the dark knight rises level gross could perhaps happen for justice league

I don't see spiderman passing it in gross despite how huge the character is (with stark to boot)
Iron Man is the most bankable super hero there is worldwide, him with Spider-Man assuming the movie is well received is going to be hard for Justice League to beat.

jrush64

Banned
If Justice league is received well with a good RT, it will gross more than homecoming. if not, then homecoming will beat it easily.

Ninjimbo

I don't see spiderman passing it in numbers despite how huge the character is (with stark to boot)

International audiences love their bombastic spectacles more than anything else
It doesn't help that Spider-Man Homecoming looks derivative as hell. You'd think a reboot of Spider-Man would look a hell of a lot more different than the spidey films we've seen before but that trailer was familiar territory all over the place.

I honestly don't know what its potential is.

guek

Banned

Maybe so, but it's still the most important figure for studios since that's where they make the most money. That said, China and other markets are definitely changing the game.

No doubt some are definitely in that camp. I can see how that number hanging over these movie's heads can have an ill effect. Although to be fair, myself and others (foolishly) went and watched Fan4stic because of the numbers and there was no way they could muck that movie up with the talent they had. Whoops. Laughably, there's also those that really seem to take it personal. It'll never make sense to me, but hey..the creators wouldn't make threads without them lol.

Really curious how well the second Deadpool will do..not thinking they'll pull that off twice. Hope I'm wrong.

If Justice league is received well with a good RT, it will gross more than homecoming. if not, then homecoming will beat it easily.

I dunno. That's a lot of supers no one has seen on screen before going against a character with 5 previous movies..

IconGrist

I still have no idea how IM3 made a billion. I always just brush it off as being the first MCU movie right after the very successful Avengers but it seems like that can't be the only explanation. Especially when the much better Winter Soldier that followed didn't crack a billion.

LionPride

Banned
It doesn't help that Spider-Man Homecoming looks derivative as hell. You'd think a reboot of Spider-Man would look a hell of a lot more different than the spidey films we've seen before but that trailer was familiar territory all over the place.

What familiar territory? I'm just excited to see Peter Parker played by someone who just seems like the Peter Parker in high school. Something not seen in the movies at all. No, the three seconds in the two ASM movies and the two scenes in the first trilogy don't count as being in high school

J_Viper

Idk about Spidey hitting a billion

Is the high school-hijinks angle gonna be appealing world wide?

That, and the trailer wasn't all that mind blowing. I'm sure the movie will turn out fine though.

IconGrist

What familiar territory? I'm just excited to see Peter Parker played by someone who just seems like the Peter Parker in high school. Something not seen in the movies at all. No, the three seconds in the two ASM movies and the two scenes in the first trilogy don't count as being in high school

What a weird post. Of course they count.

Idk about Spidey hitting a billion

Is the high school-hijinks angle gonna be appealing world wide?

That, and the trailer wasn't all that mind blowing. I'm sure the movie will turn out fine though.

Ironman 3 was bad (that's subjective, though) and hit 1.3 billion. So, after Civil War, with RDJ, Spidey being the most famous marvel hero and in case of being a good movie, I think it will hit one billion easily. In the worst case, I think it will hit 900-950 million dollars.

Cheebo

Banned
The dreadful ASM 2 made 700 million. Coming off the massive hit and pretty universally well liked movie Civil War and adding in Iron Man? Shouldn't be too difficult to do a billion.

Cheebo

Banned
Prediciton:

Homecoming will make at the worst only 20 % less than Wonder Woman + Justice League, World Wide BO.

That is going too far. It will make more than both, for sure.

Worldwide for the year I am going to say:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 1.1 Billion
2. Guardians of the Galaxies Vol. 2 - 1 Billion
3. Justice League - 875 million
4. Thor: Ragnarok- 725 million
5. Logan - 650 million
6. Wonder Woman - 600 million

LionPride

Banned
That is going too far. It will make more than both, for sure.

Worldwide for the year I am going to say:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 1.2 Billion
2. Guardians of the Galaxies Vol. 2 - 1 Billion
3. Justice League - 875 million
4. Thor: Ragnarok- 750 million
5. Logan - 700 million
6. Wonder Woman - 600 million

Unless Thor: Ragnorak is a major hitter, it ain't making more than Wonder Woman.

I fully expect it to be a hit, but I also kinda expect Wonder Woman to make more than Thor. Not much more, but more. Like it has to right?

Cheebo

Banned
Unless Thor: Ragnorak is a major hitter, it ain't making more than Wonder Woman.
I fully expect it to be a hit, but I also kinda expect Wonder Woman to make more than Thor. Not much more, but more. Like it has to right?
Thor and Hulk road trip movie, so not a typical standard Thor. It will be more appealing than the last 2 for sure. They are going for a more Guardians of the Galaxies space adventure style with it.

It's essentially a Hulk Thor team-up movie in the vein of a 80's road trip movie but in space. A LOT more appealing of a concept than just another Thor movie.

It'll make more than Wonder Woman, would be a shock if it didn't.

BadAss2961

It actually is kinda different in that it looks like an MCU movie now. The action shots in the trailer look worse than the original run of Sony movies.

J_Viper

Ironman 3 was bad (that's subjective, though) and hit 1.3 billion. So, after Civil War, with RDJ, Spidey being the most famous marvel hero and in case of being a good movie, I think it will hit one billion easily. In the worst case, I think it will hit 900-950 million dollars.

Well, I think that IM3 bump was due to how much of a massive phenomenon the first Avengers was.

CW is the better film, but it kinda of came and went, despite easily hitting a billion. So, I'm not sure if the CW-bump will be anywhere near as strong as the post-Avengers bump.

As far as Stark goes, there's no way he has any more screen-time than what has been shown in the trailer, and I bet that shot of IM and Spidey together is the final shot of the movie. I highly doubt we'll see IM help fight Keaton. RDJ ain't cheap.

I'm sure it'll do very well, I just don't know about 900 million-1 billion

This'll be the first Thor movie I see in theaters because of the Hulk team up..got a good feeling. That said, lol..nah. Just don't see it performing better than Logan an WW..

Cheebo

Banned
The Wolverine made 400 mil with almost no hype, Logan has far more interest already. It would be surprising if it did less than 600 mil.

IconGrist

Seems a bit off to be low-balling Wonder Woman. If that movie is at worst just competent it will do a lot. And calling JL is a bit early without having seen a proper trailer. And some no one saying JL is a mess possibly being the reason to call less than a billion is nuts. With BvS you had Drew McWeeney who had legitimate claim and even Faraci. There's nothing like that on JL right now.

guek

Banned
Well, I think that IM3 bump was due to how much of a massive phenomenon the first Avengers was.

CW is the better film, but it kinda of came and went, despite easily hitting a billion. So, I'm not sure if the CW-bump will be anywhere near as strong as the post-Avengers bump.

As far as Stark goes, there's no way he has any more screen-time than what has been shown in the trailer, and I bet that shot of IM and Spidey together is the final shot of the movie. I highly doubt we'll see IM help fight Keaton. RDJ ain't cheap.

I'm sure it'll do very well, I just don't know about 900 million-1 billion

IM3 was absolutely held up by the Avengers hype, no question about it.

Disney treated their Marvel films a little different last year. They usually go for a late stage theater expansion to push a last minute run. Instead, they opted not to for both Civil War and Strange. In the case of Strange, the theater count dropped drastically right before Rogue One hit as well. They didn't maximize the gross on either film but maybe they don't feel like they have to at this point.

Ninjimbo

It actually is kinda different in that it looks like an MCU movie now. The action shots in the trailer look worse than the original run of Sony movies.
At least the MCU movies have a polished look to them. Homecoming doesn't even that going for it. There's nothing about trailer that looked visually interesting and it doesn't look like they want to try anything either. They're playing it super safe which I guess they have to.

IconGrist

Cross post from The Batman thread-

Mark Hughes weighs in on The Batman and Justice League.

Here's the bit about JL. The rest is pretty much about what is going on with Affleck and production of The Batman.
Rumors about Justice League have also been swirling on and off for weeks and months, but here are the facts: nobody has really seen a full cut of the film yet, there haven't been negative reactions or worries about the quality, there is no feeling that it's in trouble or disappointing, and there's no truth to rumors suggesting Justice League has a troubled production. The early stages of production saw Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck step up their involvement to do rewrites on the screenplay, and the addition of a desire to ensure the film achieved a more fun, uplifting tone (which, as I've reported repeatedly, was always the plan and was confirmed in interviews I published as long ago as the lead-in to Batman v Superman's release). After the early weeks of getting all the ducks in a row and making the desired changes to the project, Justice League's production was on schedule and on point.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...s-not-ready-to-begin-production/#2438b5517e01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom