• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medicom MAFEX Deadshot figure. Available March 2017 for around $55.
S1YkCNp.jpg
6jR1Ikv.jpg
Hhcz7IK.jpg
MfaFlGX.jpg
4LXFYe0.jpg
qFAyYaa.jpg
iJ7NWnl.jpg
BwDuWcI.jpg
coXQUCs.jpg
BgNevBB.jpg

IconGrist

Oh I've watched the extended cut, but I don't think it was his ploy all along and that's why he was eccentric.
I think he was eccentric because that's who he is. And once he get's caught he was probably like "if I cop the crazy plea I'll get out"

Having watched that scene I got the impression
he was just stating what had been determined. Not so much that that's the defense he was going for. I mean, he did mutate an alien being into a creature of death and set it loose. No one's going to believe he was of sound mind.

guek

Banned
There is definitely a "definitive" Luthor. The DCAU version or Smallville version get name dropped all the time. A lot of the arguments against Eisenberg were that they hoped because he was a Jr. that meant the DCAU style Luthor would emerge at some point to be Superman's true foil.

For fanboys, sure, but Eisenberg's portrayal was divisive among general audiences and critics as a whole. Lex Luthor as a character has orders of magnitude less pop cultural presence compared to Superman, Batman, and Joker. For your argument to hold water, Eisenberg would have had to have turned in an unquestionably stellar performance that was rejected solely because it didn't fit preconceived definitions of the character. That didn't happen and pretty much never happens outside of fanboy circle jerks. Hardcore fans pick apart Baleman for example for not feeling enough like the Batman they have in their heads but few made those complaints when those movies were initially released and few people outside of nitpicky Batman fans make those kinds of comparisons at all.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Eisenberg as Luthor, did not love it. Hammed it up a bit too much, but him on the helipad was such a great villain scene. Him walking away and his theme playing just made it perfect.

Ahasverus

It's obvious Jessie was having the time of his life playing Lex, even if that meant it came out being a bit over the top. He just said this week he hopes to play him for many, many years, I love it when actors fall in love with their characters.

IconGrist

For fanboys, sure, but Eisenberg's portrayal was divisive among general audiences and critics as a whole. Lex Luthor as a character has orders of magnitude less pop cultural presence compared to Superman, Batman, and Joker. For your argument to hold water, Eisenberg would have had to have turned in an unquestionably stellar performance that was rejected solely because it didn't fit preconceived definitions of the character. That didn't happen and pretty much never happens outside of fanboy circle jerks. Hardcore fans pick apart Baleman for example for not feeling enough like the Batman they have in their heads but few made those complaints when those movies were initially released and few people outside of nitpicky Batman fans make those kinds of comparisons at all.

We'd have to disagree. Eisenberg never got a fair shake to begin with. He was hated right from the beginning before a single frame of footage had been released. His treatment was no different than Affleck or Ledger (Leto didn't actually get a whole lot of push back). If Luthor as a character didn't matter he wouldn't have been given as much shit. Mix that with a divisive performance and here we are. Your argument would hold more merit, at least with me, if there was a large "wait and see" response to his casting. He got more shit than Amy Adams did and she's playing frikkin' Lois and there's absolutely nothing special about her performance.

I liked Eisenberg as Luthor, did not love it. Hammed it up a bit too much, but him on the helipad was such a great villain scene. Him walking away and his theme playing just made it perfect.

Agreed. If we can get more rooftop Luthor I'd be more than pleased moving forward.

yeah that's a fantastic scene. i loved everything about it.

it takes some getting used to but after an adjustment period he's great, still they could have done with another take on that final scene of his. it's when he went from eccentric to just plain goofy and overdone.

Disagreed on the bolded. It being a factor doesn't mean it's the ONLY factor. With a movie like BvS, where the general audience critique doesn't seem any deeper than "ewwww" (thus the slew of wildly divergent reasons for disliking it), you can't really say that audience desire for a DCAU esque Luthor didn't play a role in how Jesse's performance was perceived.

I appreciated how malicious Lex is and the conviction behind his actions. Shows a god pictures of his mother gagged with witch written on her, threatening to burn her alive. Yet he played Superman so hard, in the face of getting his head ripped off, Lex knows he'll be fine and continues screwing with him. Guy carries himself like he's got everything figured out, and he does...until he doesn't, and you see him have a melt down. It's not 1:1 but it reminds me of Lex Luthor Man of Steel. In many ways I believe BvS would've been better suited taking more from that story than TDKReturns. But what's done is done and I'd like to see Eisenberg Lex return in the future films.

i don't think people appreciate (or just underrate) the mousy contrast of eisenberg opposite cavill and affleck. he belittles them at that fundraiser scene despite him looking literally like a child next to them. i thought it was an interesting dynamic.

i think that's what george miller was going for when he cast freaking Jay Baruchel as maxwell lord in his justice league movie haha. i never understood that casting until I saw BvS.

guek

Banned
We'd have to disagree. Eisenberg never got a fair shake to begin with. He was hated right from the beginning before a single frame of footage had been released. His treatment was no different than Affleck or Ledger (Leto didn't actually get a whole lot of push back). If Luthor as a character didn't matter he wouldn't have been given as much shit. Mix that with a divisive performance and here we are. Your argument would hold more merit, at least with me, if there was a large "wait and see" response to his casting. He got more shit than Amy Adams did and she's playing frikkin' Lois and there's absolutely nothing special about her performance.

Just like Ledger though, if he had turned in a great performance, people would have accepted it. Yes, there were preconceived biases but what I disagree with is the idea that they were insurmountable or that those biases are the primary reason his Luthor was divisive. The actor should receive most of the blame for not winning audiences over rather than blaming biases which are only really strong among a relatively small but vocal population.

Disagreed on the bolded. It being a factor doesn't mean it's the ONLY factor. With a movie like BvS, where the general audience critique doesn't seem any deeper than "ewwww" (thus the slew of wildly divergent reasons for disliking it), you can't really say that audience desire for a DCAU esque Luthor didn't play a role in how Jesse's performance was perceived.

True, I didn't mean to suggest it was the only factor at play. I do think there were biases against him but not that those biases are primarily to blame for what amounted to a so-so take on the character. The most common complaint I've seen about Eisenberg as Luthor is that his mannerisms are straight up annoying which has nothing to do with preset ideas of the character.

IconGrist

Just like Ledger though, if he had turned in a great performance, people would have accepted it. Yes, there were preconceived biases but what I disagree with is the idea that they were insurmountable or that those biases are the primary reason his Luthor was divisive. The actor should receive most of the blame for not winning audiences over rather than blaming biases which are only really strong among a relatively small but vocal population.

How much can you blame the actor if they turned in the performance asked of them? Nolan got what he wanted out of Ledger. Snyder got what he wanted out of Eisenberg. It's not like Snyder had one idea and Jesse just went the opposite way and they were like, "fuck it, keep it in." Ledger's portrayal was also very close to what people expect out of Joker. The two would be more comparable if Ledger's strayed from the norm. Like if Ledger came in with a Joker similar to that of Young Justice Joker I don't think it would have been as well received. Eisenberg had a Lex far outside of the norm and as anyone with half a brain could have guessed it was divisive. People wanted a Lex that resembled a pre-established version of the character. That complaint was never lobbied against Ledger because his was. Cavill suffers the same complaint.

IconGrist

While I understand and appreciate what they are (hopefully) doing with Superman in Justice League it does bum me out a bit that he's completely absent from the conversation.

guek

Banned
How much can you blame the actor if they turned in the performance asked of them? Nolan got what he wanted out of Ledger. Snyder got what he wanted out of Eisenberg. It's not like Snyder had one idea and Jesse just went the opposite way and they were like, "fuck it, keep it in." Ledger's portrayal was also very close to what people expect out of Joker. The two would be more comparable if Ledger's strayed from the norm. Like if Ledger came in with a Joker similar to that of Young Justice Joker I don't think it would have been as well received. Eisenberg had a Lex far outside of the norm and as anyone with half a brain could have guessed it was divisive. People wanted a Lex that resembled a pre-established version of the character. That complaint was never lobbied against Ledger because his was. Cavill suffers the same complaint.

At what point can you blame the actor then?

The major issue I have with this line of thought is it defends the actors and their portrayals in a way that minimizes some legitimate complaints people might have with these interpretations. Expectations and preset biases will always be a factor but they're not the end-all be-all of what determines whether or not a portrayal is divisive. Prior to Burton's Batman, the prevailing image of Batman and Joker in the public psyche was based on Adam West's campy portrayal. Yet, despite it all, Burton's darker take was a massive hit. I just don't agree with blaming the audience when it's the responsibility of the actors and director to win them over.

a916

I honestly think that cinematic Luthor was ruined by Donner and consequently Singer. He's been an utter joke (in previous incarnations, this one is a million times more thought out but more divisive) and his comical performance has something that has accidentally seeped into his mythos. Whereas his comic/JLA/Superman TAS counterpart is what fans have demanded.

It was definitely divisive and I liked it, I have a hard time when people say Jesse is just like himself in Social Network. Social Network Jesse was detached cold and inhuman. Also another pet peeve is when people say Eisenberg is terrible in this, he had a vision and he knocked it out of the park. A lot people can't differentiate interpretation or direction between performance.

Lmao I knew that shit was gonna happen when bill simmons had affleck on for his first show

This is the fuckery you get when you have two die hard Boston pats fans with a platform. And booze. It was an entertaining rant tho.

Edit: all movie lex luthors have been great. Never fucked with the opinion that Spacey was bad. And certainly not Hackman

QEdDerG.jpg

Is Wasted Affleck the new Sadfleck?

I just learned Affleck might drop "fuck" in casual conversation more than me.

But man, you can tell he was wasted, just look at those glassy eyes lol -- Simmons looks to be right there with him too based on the look of his eyes. Doesn't help he probably walked off the Justice League set and flew to LA just to do this segment, so sleep was likely limited.

Calling Brady "so fuckin classy and such a fuckin gentleman" is the most stereotypically Boston fanboy thing that has been said lmao. It's practically out of a family guy skit

IconGrist

At what point can you blame the actor then?

The major issue I have with this line of thought is it defends the actors and their portrayals in a way that minimizes some legitimate complaints people might have with these interpretations. Expectations and preset biases will always be a factor but they're not the end-all be-all of what determines whether or not a portrayal is divisive. Prior to Burton's Batman, the prevailing image of Batman and Joker in the public psyche was based on Adam West's campy portrayal. Yet, despite it all, Burton's darker take was a massive hit. I just don't agree with blaming the audience when it's the responsibility of the actors and director to win them over.

You blame the actor when he or she turns in a bad performance. Eisenberg didn't give a bad performance it just wasn't what a lot of people wanted out of Lex. There's a difference between a bad performance and not liking the performance. A distinction I think is lost a lot of the time when discussing these things.

I also don't subscribe to this notion of trying to win the audience. I'm more in the camp of you tell the story you want to tell how you want to tell it and then the audience decides if they like it. If you're trying to make sure they like it first then you may not be doing what's best for the story but what's best for your bottom line. I understand it's a business and winning the audience matters though but I have more respect for putting your work ahead of the profit margins.

As an example, (and I haven't thought about this in a while so my memory is somewhat fuzzy) but the Ancient One in Doctor Strange. I remember reading they changed the character's race and it being due to some country's audience likely boycotting/banning the movie if the race remained as is in the comics. I can't get behind that even if I understand it. Changing a race to get a minority in is okay by me. Changing a race to make sure you make money somewhere doesn't sit well with me.

But like I said, my memory is fuzzy on this so if I'm coming off like an idiot feel free to ignore me.

MisterHero

QEdDerG.jpg

Is Wasted Affleck the new Sadfleck?
He actually sounds insanely smart IMO.

I don't know a lot about The Affleck

I honestly think that cinematic Luthor was ruined by Donner and consequently Singer. He's been an utter joke (in previous incarnations, this one is a million times more thought out but more divisive) and his comical performance has something that has accidentally seeped into his mythos. Whereas his comic/JLA/Superman TAS counterpart is what fans have demanded.

It was definitely divisive and I liked it, I have a hard time when people say Jesse is just like himself in Social Network. Social Network Jesse was detached cold and inhuman. Also another pet peeve is when people say Eisenberg is terrible in this, he had a vision and he knocked it out of the park. A lot people can't differentiate interpretation or direction between performance.
BS. Donner Luthor is one of the earliest versions of Luthor as a businessman. And the business was just a means to fund his mad scientist schemes anyways.

DCAU works but it's hardly defining.

Lmao I don't doubt that he is smart but how in the hell does that clip confirm that being the case?

It's fun seeing the guy be so honest all the time though. I hope that never goes away. Like him being upfront about Armageddon and daredevil. Or when he was defending Muslims on bill Maher. And now this Cheatriots stanning.

guek

Banned
You blame the actor when he or she turns in a bad performance. Eisenberg didn't give a bad performance it just wasn't what a lot of people wanted out of Lex. There's a difference between a bad performance and not liking the performance. A distinction I think is lost a lot of the time when discussing these things.

There is a distinction but most people don't care to differentiate the two and I'm not sure if they really should. Either way though, I'm not willing to die on a hill that says Eisenberg had a good or a bad performance. Put me on the "it was fine" pile.

Bleepey

Oh I've watched the extended cut, but I don't think it was his ploy all along and that's why he was eccentric.
I think he was eccentric because that's who he is. And once he get's caught he was probably like "if I cop the crazy plea I'll get out"

Fair enough. I saw the stuff like him shoving gummi vears in that dude's mouth and his weird speech were there to show the public he was kinda unhinged to help him plead insanity should he need to.

Edit: what would you give the theatrical cut and what would you give the director's cut?

Raptor

There is a distinction but most people don't care to differentiate the two and I'm not sure if they really should. Either way though, I'm not willing to die on a hill that says Eisenberg had a good or a bad performance. Put me on the "it was fine" pile.

What do you mean not sure if they/us really should differentiate a bad performance of a one that we/they dont like?

That makes no sense to me, I dont like a lot of performances but I can safely say the actors have put effort in the acting making a great performance out of it, I dont like Kramer in Seinfeld, does he make a bad performance? hell no lol.

guek

Banned
What do you mean not sure if they/us really should differentiate a bad performance of a one that we/they dont like?

That makes no sense to me, I dont like a lot of performances but I can safely say the actors have put effort in the acting making a great performance out of it, I dont like Kramer in Seinfeld, does he make a bad performance? hell no lol.
I mean that distinction can be incredibly subjective to the point where sometimes it doesn't really matter whether it's the performance or the character itself that's "bad." Eddie Redmayne was eviscerated for his weird expressive character in Jupiter Ascending for example but was it the character that was bad or the actor? And in the end, if it's broadly disliked, does the distinction matter? Actors play a major role in how their characters come across to the audience so when a character is liked or disliked, how do you split the credit or blame between the actor, director, and writer? I don't think it really matters at the end of the day, they're all a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom