• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

IconGrist

It's probably too soon to be asking, but does this mean Snyder is off JL or that he's just taking a leave for awhile? The article isn't really clear on him coming back which makes me think final cut duties will rest on Whedon.

I've taken it as Whedon is finishing Justice League. In the article it says that WB was willing to delay Justice League so Zack could take time off but he was against that idea. Props to WB for even considering a delay for Zack.

And WB is still on board for Zack to direct two passion projects when he returns and is ready to work.

It's probably too soon to be asking, but does this mean Snyder is off JL or that he's just taking a leave for awhile? The article isn't really clear on him coming back which makes me think final cut duties will rest on Whedon.

Whedon is closing it out. Warners offered to delay the movie to accommodate for Snyder's schedule, but the Snyders were against it. Warners was gracious enough to extend their first-look deal with Snyder when he's ready to work again.

Chances are he'll do a smaller, more personal project like The Last Photograph than another DC project.

Good on the guy for stepping in to help out, but I'd rather they wait on Snyder for JL 2 in a few years than give the sequel to Whedon.

or hand the sequel to another director in a couple years.

It's doubtful Whedon wants to do a Justice League sequel. He got majorly burned out with Avengers AoU. He'll likely continue with Batgirl because it is a smaller project.

Ahasverus

I'd think Zack will be better suited to MoS2 than JL2, given the intimate nature of the film and the lesser pressure.

Joss can direct JL2 for all I care, as long as Terrio has input and he shoots on film.

Loxley

Jesus, my thoughts go out to Snyder for his family's loss :( I can;t imagine what it must feel like to lose a child, much less in such a horrible way.

And props to Whedon for stepping in. Coming in on a project this huge and this late in the game has got to be daunting, even with his Avengers experience. Also credit to WB for being willing to straight-up delay their biggest tentpole release to accommodate Snyder, that was a pretty huge gesture.

Ross61

Whedon is closing it out. Warners offered to delay the movie to accommodate for Snyder's schedule, but the Snyders were against it. Warners was gracious enough to extend their first-look deal with Snyder when he's ready to work again.

Chances are he'll do a smaller, more personal project like The Last Photograph than another DC project.

It's doubtful Whedon wants to do a Justice League sequel. He got majorly burned out with Avengers AoU. He'll likely continue with Batgirl because it is a smaller project.

Yeah, the superhero fim biz has likely put a strain on him that he most likely doesn't want to deal with anymore. He's probably gonna stick to smaller projects for a long while. I wish for the best for him.

Wow, shocking news. Mad respect and props to Snyder for prioritizing whats most important to him.

I guess Whedon can now say he has worked on movies for the two biggest superhero teams.

Effect

I've taken it as Whedon is finishing Justice League. In the article it says that WB was willing to delay Justice League so Zack could take time off but he was against that idea. Props to WB for even considering a delay for Zack.

And WB is still on board for Zack to direct two passion projects when he returns and is ready to work.

I was surprised to read this. Good on Warner Bros for being willing to delay the film so the Snyders could have more time for themselves and their family and for extending his contract as well.

Maddocks

I really don't want to deter from the tragedy but I'm not sure why Whedon is getting so many props. He's a huge geek who probably loves JL and is getting paid (i assume) to shoot just a little bit of material. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he accepted the offer and all but just not sure he's necessarily stepping up or anything.

he is stepping up when he is off doing his own thing trying to write a batgirl movie, and instead of focusing on that he has to take a break from it and help out. To say he is not stepping up is a disservice to him.

IconGrist

I really don't want to deter from the tragedy but I'm not sure why Whedon is getting so many props. He's a huge geek who probably loves JL and is getting paid (i assume) to shoot just a little bit of material. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he accepted the offer and all but just not sure he's necessarily stepping up or anything.

Well it's not just the few scenes he's shooting. He also has to finish the Justice League. All the post-production work is on him at this point and it's long and tiring work. To step away from what he was doing to juggle that responsibility is commendable work.

Ahasverus

He's gonna have to assemble the final cut of a film he didn't make, on a genre he was tired of, with the pressure of a million suns.

Ninjimbo

I hope the love and support that is coming out is getting to them. It's a shitty situation and words from strangers probably won't amount to much, but it's something. It was nice to see the gestures from fellow directors too.

IconGrist

I hope the love and support that is coming out is getting to them. It's a shitty situation and words from strangers probably won't amount to much, but it's something. It was nice to see the gestures from fellow directors too.

You'd be surprised how much positivity and love even from strangers is worth.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
9Ii7hZr.jpg

Love Gal so much

I'm heartbroken by this news. My deepest condolences go out to Snyder and his family.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for this man, he's beared a ton of shit thrown his way for his work which I think in hindsight will grow in esteem. He doesn't make films that please everyone but he makes movies you wouldn't mistake as anyone elses. I'll always have love for him for his unmatched visual eye and his boldness to tackle things no other director would even attempt.

I hope he and his family takes this time to heal and when he and his wife come back to work I'll be ready to take my seat and appreciate what they bring to the table as I always have.

This is probably way too soon and will seem heartless to even bring up but I really hope that between this awful news but Wonder Woman seemingly being of quality, that this is kind of a 'reset' on the DCEU discussion going forward so it will be less plagued by negativity from the jump.

This is probably way too soon and will seem heartless to even bring up but I really hope that between this awful news but Wonder Woman seemingly being of quality, that this is kind of a 'reset' on the DCEU discussion going forward so it will be less plagued by negativity from the jump.

Eh. It sucks, but if WW and/or JL is anything less than decent, it'll continue. Only I'd hope any JL critique would be less…uh, targeted towards Snyder's creative decisions.

Lothars

Joss Whedon is amazing. The Avengers and The Justice League

Joining the ranks of JJ Abrams --Star Trek and Star Wars. Insane
Agreed.

Good on the guy for stepping in to help out, but I'd rather they wait on Snyder for JL 2 in a few years than give the sequel to Whedon.

or hand the sequel to another director in a couple years.
Considering how good Whedon is, I would rather have him do JL 2, that being said I don't think he will.

BadAss2961

Damn, that sucks. Zack could use a rest. Hope everything works out for his family.

Not too thrilled about Whedon finishing JL, but it's probably mostly polishing at this point. Bet some idiots will want to give him all the credit when this thing slays.

Damn, that sucks. Zack could use a rest. Hope everything works out for his family.

Not too thrilled about Whedon finishing JL, but it's probably mostly polishing at this point. Bet some idiots will want to give him all the credit when this thing slays.

its post production work with Snyder's notes. while Joss definitely deserves credit for helping out at the end of the day its very much Zack's movie thankfully.

the pickups seem like they won't be too big.

Mario007

Not to sound cold, but I wonder how the credits on JL will go. Will it be directed by Zach Snyder and co-directed by Joss Whedon or will it be simply directed by Zach Snyder and Joss Whedon.

Ashhong

Unless it's some kind of WGA rule, I bet it would be Directed by Zack Snyder

with some kind of acknowledgement for Whedon on the side or after. I don't think they would combine it

BadAss2961

its post production work with Snyder's notes. while Joss definitely deserves credit for helping out at the end of the day its very much Zack's movie thankfully.

the pickups seem like they won't be too big.
A couple months ago, I never thought i'd be pulling hard for Joss Whedon. Things should be alright. Big props to him for being a team player and taking this much responsibility so fast. To Zack for going home while also handing over the reins to avoid a delay, and the studio for giving him the option to do whatever.
Not to sound cold, but I wonder how the credits on JL will go. Will it be directed by Zach Snyder and co-directed by Joss Whedon or will it be simply directed by Zach Snyder and Joss Whedon.

I imagine it'll be a Zack Snyder film in the credits. Don't know if Whedon wants his name there given the circumstances. We found out today that he's written some additional scenes, so he'll get some story credit. Maybe some sort of producer credit too if he's not listed as a director.

bryanee

Zack directed the vast majority of the movie. He'll more than likely be credited as the sole director and like what was said above Joss would get an acknowledgement.

I'm pretty sure they filmed huge chunks of Superman 2 from scratch so Lester could get full credit as director. I think he had to film over 51% of it which included redoing stuff already done by Donner. But maybe rules have changed since then but probably not.

edit-

Oh on a side note. Superman in Supergirl is a fucking scrub.

Calm down. Its the first time I've made that mistake and considering its past 6am here and I haven't slept maybe take a chill pill.

I am calm. I don't need to take a chill pill. Also, you are not the only one on this page who made that mistake, take a chill pill - it isn't personal.

duckroll

Unless the movie completely changes by November, JL will be a Zack Snyder film, and he will no doubt dedicate it in his daughter's memory. Whedon isn't stealing his job here, he's helping a friend out.

SJRB

Gold Member
Unless the movie completely changes by November, JL will be a Zack Snyder film, and he will no doubt dedicate it in his daughter's memory. Whedon isn't stealing his job here, he's helping a friend out.

Nobody's seriously thinking Whedon is stealing Snyder's job now, are they?

...are they?

...are they?

I am sure there are some places on the internet, places nobody really cares of. My impression was that everyone felt saddened by this news and wishes him and family good healing.

duckroll

...are they?

Not stealing in a malicious way, but people were wondering about the credits. I don't think it is likely at all that Whedon filling in for overseeing a few pickup shots and helping with the final edit will result in any change of directorial credits.

Man, that is terrible. I'm glad Zack is taking the time for him and his family to heal. No parent should have to bury their child.

Big props to WB for giving him the option delay it and to Whedon for stepping up to the job. It must have been a very difficult choice to make for Zack. The negative posts about this and Whedon's involvement are super lame.

IconGrist

If you've been fortunate enough to avoid seeing certain comments from certain comment sections at certain sites continue to avoid them. Don't make my mistake.

ReiGun

I am sure there are some places on the internet, places nobody really cares of. My impression was that everyone felt saddened by this news and wishes him and family good healing.

I've seen some shitty stuff on Twitter.

As much as we'd like to think the kind of people who would find joy or a silver lining in a story like this are tucked away in some dark corner of the internet on some shitty, 45 member message board, there are many who rush at the chance to show the world just how hearltess they are.

Theorry

Crazy to hear Whedon stepping in tho. First Avengers. Then big news he is going to do Batgirl and now steps in to finish JL. Great he is doing it to help out. Nothing is gonna change much i think. Just some extra scenes who need to be in the same style and i doubt Whedon is going to do something complety different when he is helping out a friend.

Top Bottom