• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ashhong

Wait wait wtf?! Was there news of his daughters suicide previously? Holy shit..my prayers to the man. I really hope nobody will take this as an opportunity to talk more shit about his movies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine the hell he must be going through, compounded with all the shit he's been taking over the past 2 years. He needs to step away for a long time and just get his sanity back.

I guess Whedon coming on to help finish up must've been why WB went after him when they did since he has 2 giant blockbuster superhero team up movies under his belt.

Ashhong

It's mind boggling that he just kept this private in this day and age. It's been about two months now.

The article mentions him bringing in Joss to work on a few extra scenes, I wonder if that was before Batgirl talks and how that all went? It doesn't sound like extensive reshoots, so hopefully Joss can handle it well and hopefully Snyder gets the time he needs.

Man this news came out of nowhere. As a big Snyder man I'm kind of in shock. Shit sucks..

Condolences to the Snyders. Have to prioritize the family and truly matters.

And respect to Joss Whedon for taking on the project, knowing he's closing out some else's vision, and after struggling with the pressure of these big productions last time.

J_Viper

I'll be keeping Zack and his family in my prayers. It's a damn tragedy.

Props to WB and Whedon for taking the weight off his shoulders.

Ninjimbo

Terrible. And he's been dealing with this since March? We just saw both Deb and Zack go around promoting WW. Well, I didn't see any pictures of Deb at the premieres so maybe she was dealing with it in private.

Man, seriously. I don't have any words. I just hope they end up alright.

Ashhong

Terrible. And he's been dealing with this since March? We just saw both Deb and Zack go around promoting WW. Well, I didn't see any pictures of Deb at the premieres so maybe she was dealing with it in private.

Man, seriously. I don't have any words. I just hope they end up alright.

Seriously..the guy was just out smiling and promoting WW. And back in March, wasn't that around the time he started teasing JL and the trailer? Damn..

My condolences. He and his family should take all the time he needs and thanks for Whedon keeping quiet and the project going.

Dude was in China promoting WW a week ago.

bryanee

Just read the news and man its fucking heart breaking. And too think he's been going through this while on that WW press tour in China. Much love to him and his family.

Dead

well not really...yet
Genuinely saddened by the news. I can't imagine the pain he and his family have been going through.

Putting aside the bullshit, I hope Whedon is able to complete the film to Zack's satisfaction and that he and his family can get through this.

LionPride

Banned
I'm highkey annoyed that part of the reason he came out with something meant to be in private, was because he knew what theories the internet would create in his abscence. Man. Prayers and condolences to his family in this awful time.

Effect

Horrible news. :( Thoughts with Zack and his family. Stepping away is best to deal with this instead of trying to keep throwing yourself into work.

Ashhong

fuck...

The thought of his daughter’s writing prompts Zack to recall another memory. Autumn had a quote that she included in everything she wrote. (“Every. Single. Thing,” chuckles Zack.) It’s from author Chuck Palahniuk: “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”

“Maybe this helps,” Zack says.

Maddocks

As I have said in the other thread, new respect for the man for carrying on and pushing forward as long as he did.

Also hats off for Joss for stepping up and finishing the movie, no doubt it was not a role he was expecting or wanted and he was tossed into the role. Good for him.

Gleethor

I'm highkey annoyed that part of the reason he came out with something meant to be in private, was because he knew what theories the internet would create in his abscence. Man. Prayers and condolences to his family in this awful time.
Yeah it's pretty sad. But he's totally right, without context the internet would automatically assume the film is ass.

Overall a shitty situation. Only upside is the film is left in capable hands (imo, anyway)

Ashhong

As I have said in the other thread, new respect for the man for carrying on and pushing forward as long as he did.

Also hats off for Joss for stepping up and finishing the movie, no doubt it was not a role he was expecting or wanted and he was tossed into the role. Good for him.

I really don't want to deter from the tragedy but I'm not sure why Whedon is getting so many props. He's a huge geek who probably loves JL and is getting paid (i assume) to shoot just a little bit of material. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he accepted the offer and all but just not sure he's necessarily stepping up or anything.

Ninjimbo

Zack talking about throwing himself into his work to distract himself from the grief, only to realize he couldn't. It's rough. Easy to see why he couldn't fly off to England for additional work.
Yeah, that part gets me. Sometimes you think you can lose yourself in your work. That it can become like a sanctuary. They're incredibly strong people to want to continue working and for sharing with this public.

Ninjimbo

I wonder why Ben couldn't finish post production for him.
He seems to be dealing with his own demons right now. Like Zack says, the production of these things puts a lot of pressure on the individual and Ben is coming off a directorial job himself. He needs some time off and I wouldn't be surprised if WB thought the same thing.

Good on Zack to get Whedon on board. He has the knowledge and experience to see this through. I just wish it wasn't done under such tragic circumstances. Hopefully Whedon can navigate through all the pressure and produce something that is true to what Zack would have wanted.

Ahasverus

Yeah I hope it suddenly doesn't turn into Joss Joss Whedon's Justice League. I want Zack to be honored through the movie. Man deserves it.

Big respect to Joss for being up the challenge.

IconGrist

I wonder why Ben couldn't finish post production for him.

I guess you missed the news that Ben is recovering from alcohol addiction. He's not exactly in a good state either.

I just heard the news. Very sad. As a father of two daughters I can't even imagine how hard the death of either one would absolutely destroy me. How Zack managed to power through for a couple of months and then still fly around promoting Wonder Woman is beyond me. I'm happy that he realized he needed to take a break from the world to grieve with his family. I'm upset he had to publicly define his absence because of some shitheads on the internet.

Agreed. It's incredibly fucked, but also true.

I can't believe he kept it private for as long as he did. Can't imagine how difficult a time he and Deb are having. Fuck... wishing him and his family all the best.

Whedon, for all my issues with his own work, is a good choice for additional filming and post. I'm sure he's not just randomly picking things up, and he likely has notes and discussions to keep things in line with what Snyder wanted, so I'm accepting of it.

Awful news. Couldn't believe the words I was reading at first.

Then came Joss' name thrown in to finish scenes he wrote... Was surprised by that too.

He's also dealing with hard personal and family problems. He didn't step down from Batman for nothing.

Really hoping that doesn't end up being true. Even if it is, he may change his mind later...

re: where Whedon is helping out, Variety helps clarify some of the details

Filming on “Justice League” had already finished, and Snyder was in the throes of post-production in order to meet the film’s Nov. 17 release date. Whedon will now oversee a handful of reshoots that had already been scheduled prior to Snyder’s daughter’s death, as well as the post-production process.

and from Hollywood Reporter,

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home. “The directing is minimal and it has to adhere to the style and tone and the template that Zack set,” says Emmerich. “We’re not introducing any new characters. It’s the same characters in some new scenes. He’s handing the baton to Joss, but the course has really been set by Zack. I still believe that despite this tragedy, we’ll still end up with a great movie.”

Essentially, Snyder worked with Whedon to write some of the planned reshoots. When Zack felt he couldn't handle leaving his family to shoot the scenes in England, Whedon stepped up to help. And it sounds as if Whedon will finish out the post-production efforts as well.

Ninjimbo

It's probably too soon to be asking, but does this mean Snyder is off JL or that he's just taking a leave for awhile? The article isn't really clear on him coming back which makes me think final cut duties will rest on Whedon.

Ahasverus

re: where Whedon is helping out, Variety helps clarify some of the details

and from Hollywood Reporter,

Essentially, Snyder worked with Whedon to write some of the planned reshoots. When Zack felt he couldn't handle leaving his family to shoot the scenes in England, Whedon stepped up to help. And it sounds as if Whedon will finish out the post-production efforts as well.
Whedon is a champ.
It's probably too soon to be asking, but does this mean Snyder is off JL or that he's just taking a leave for awhile? The article isn't really clear on him coming back which makes me think final cut duties will rest on Whedon.
I don't think he's coming back, no.

Good on the guy for stepping in to help out, but I'd rather they wait on Snyder for JL 2 in a few years than give the sequel to Whedon.

or hand the sequel to another director in a couple years.

Top Bottom