• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Barbara was ever intended to be Batgirl
She was never intended to be that Barbara, I don't get why people kept saying that and even complaining about it.

But that isn't the Batgirl im talking about,
Bat-GirlBM141.jpg

They cast a nearly 30 year old to play her(Bette Kane), but cut her scenes from the episode.
Thats just going to far with the mythos and either they ruin the show with her as a vigilante pre-Batman or she serves zero purpose other than a really awful namedrop.

ReiGun

I gotta go back and finish Gotham. That show was pure fuckery.

Well, and rightfully speaking, in S3 everyone's character arc was that everyone was torn between two "identities," so to speak. Oliver Queen or the Arrow; Ray Palmer or the Atom; Diggle being a sidekick or a father (which didn't get nearly as much focus as it should have); Roy Harper as a hero or a murderer; Laurel being true to herself, or just trying to be her sister again; Thea Queen or Thea Merlyn. Very good ideas in theory, but in practice they were shaky. Very shaky.

Felicity's arc was "where do my loyalties lie?" type of thing. Which, again in theory, is a very good arc. In practice it was simply a love triangle with a superhero angle. Upsetting, because part of her arc was that she was also having a rough time taking control of her own life, which was part of the whole "identity crisis" motif going on. Again, in theory it's a good idea, but in practice it didn't pan out as well. The reason why Felicity's arc didn't go so well is that the writers decided to have her take control by playing the victim while trying to basically get everyone to do things for her all the time. She's basically second-in-command of Team Arrow. The thing is her barking orders (in some cases to people she has no association with i.e. Ra's) and then whining that things aren't fair is a poor mentality, and one that she should not have gotten away with. In the end she totally does, and that's what truly pissed me off about Felicity's character this past season.

Totally agreed.

I feel like the love triangle could have worked if 1. Ray weren't clearly a better a choice for her and 2. there was some more actual tension between her and Ray over her flip flopping between him and Oliver. Ray just seemed like he was way too understanding of her situation and too okay with just being the consolation prize. Granted, thematically, Ray was meant to represent the safe, stable choice that would give Felicity the control she needed in her life - hence why his becoming Atom pissed her all the way off at first. But over time, it felt like he was being way too passive and accepting.

The reason Felicity's arc bothered me so much this season goes back to why I compare her to Laurel in Season 1 - early 2. She does so much of the same shit Laurel used to do: the playing the victim, the barking orders and expecting everyone to just fall in line, the moral grandstanding (even while she herself is doing some janky shit), etc. But the difference is that we've seen Laurel dragged through the mud for that kind of behavior while Felicity has come out relatively unscathed and getting everything she wanted. We see her go through a lot of emotional turmoil, yes, but it's usually framed as someone did something wrong to her as opposed to being the result of her actions.

LOL I don't even know how to take this.
"Bonkers" is a more accurate word.

That show is absolutely bonkers.
Totally agreed.

I feel like the love triangle could have worked if 1. Ray weren't clearly a better a choice for her and 2. there was some more actual tension between her and Ray over her flip flopping between him and Oliver. Ray just seemed like he was way too understanding of her situation and too okay with just being the consolation prize. Granted, thematically, Ray was meant to represent the safe, stable choice that would give Felicity the control she needed in her life - hence why his becoming Atom pissed her all the way off at first. But over time, it felt like he was being way too passive and accepting.

The reason Felicity's arc bothered me so much this season goes back to why I compare her to Laurel in Season 1 - early 2. She does so much of the same shit Laurel used to do: the playing the victim, the barking orders and expecting everyone to just fall in line, the moral grandstanding (even while she herself is doing some janky shit), etc. But the difference is that we've seen Laurel dragged through the mud for that kind of behavior while Felicity has come out relatively unscathed and getting everything she wanted. We see her go through a lot of emotional turmoil, yes, but it's usually framed as someone did something wrong to her as opposed to being the result of her actions.
It sort of leads back to another problem I have with this show (and The Flash) is that the writers tend to sacrifice character for the sake of plot. For example: Laurel's lying during S3. While I understand her lying for a short period of time (like, the first 5 episodes), her lying for 2/3 of the season was clearly used as a means to get Lance to get the SCPD to hunt down the Arrow. Since S3 had focus on destroying the Arrow/Oliver. The problem is that it assassinates Laurel as a character, but on top of that it makes everyone else terrible people as well, since they were in on the lie and even helped perpetuate it.

I feel like the writers allowed Felicity to get so ridiculous because they needed the relationships in her arc to progress to certain points and facilitate the plot progression, but also wanted to keep her in the right, since she has been the "moral center" of Team Arrow. At some point you have to sacrifice one of those in order to make a realistic and believable character. You most certainly can't have her try to convince her ex to sacrifice the city for her other ex-but-not-really-ex, then have her pilot the Atom suit in order to save said ex-but-not-really-ex, and then never receive any comeuppance for those actions (reckless, foolish, and blatantly selfish). Or say, grandstanding at the leader of a massive League of Assassins. Stuff like that.

LOL I don't even know how to take this.
Its weird as hell but works the majority of the time.
They actually corrected many problems within the season and it definitely got much better like 6 episodes in.

Literally only thing I wanted going into season 2 was a time jump or a "LOL comics" age up for Bruce.
Of all the comic show last season, Gotham had my favorite scene of all.

ReiGun

I still scratch my head over how Felicity even managed to operate the Atom suit. Ray can barely operate the damn thing and he built it. lol

I still scratch my head over how Felicity even managed to operate the Atom suit. Ray can barely operate the damn thing and he built it. lol

Many people on here argued that Ray piloted it using his remote device from earlier. My big issue is that they never state it nor even allude to that being the case. Granted, it probably is the case, because why else would they have introduced that device in the first place, but there's no indication of that. As far as I am concerned, Felicity climbed into the suit and flew it herself.

Joni

War Machine basically did the same thing, only he immediately took on Iron Man instead of a falling guy. Felicity at least knows how the suit works, considering she worked on it.

Grym

Does anyone know if the CW is planning on re-running Season 3 of Arrow prior to the new season? (when?) I have been pushing through the Arrow seasons to catch up before Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow starts again.

I'm currently about halfway through season 2 of Arrow and am looking forward to continuing on. I have episodes 2-9 of season 3 DVR'ed. But will need season 3 episode 1 first. Is my only option buying the episode on Amazon for $3? Seems like a waste - especially if I end up needing to buy the discs to see the later half of the season anyway . When I started this I figured the first few episodes at least would be available on the CW online, but they aren't. I assume they won't be up on netflix until after the bluray is released. Any other options? Or do I need to just take a break and wait until they re-air the season

Penguin

Does anyone know if the CW is planning on re-running Season 3 of Arrow prior to the new season? (when?) I have been pushing through the Arrow seasons to catch up before Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow starts again.

I'm currently about halfway through season 2 of Arrow and am looking forward to continuing on. I have episodes 2-9 of season 3 DVR'ed. But will need season 3 episode 1 first. Is my only option buying the episode on Amazon for $3? Seems like a waste - especially if I end up needing to buy the discs to see the later half of the season anyway . When I started this I figured the first few episodes at least would be available on the CW online, but they aren't. I assume they won't be up on netflix until after the bluray is released. Any other options? Or do I need to just take a break and wait until they re-air the season

They are re-running Arrow, but think like half way through the season.

War Machine basically did the same thing, only he immediately took on Iron Man instead of a falling guy. Felicity at least knows how the suit works, considering she worked on it.

And I had my issues with that, too, even though it could also be suggested that Rhodes spending all his time around Tony would have learned how, but even then that doesn't really work. Regardless, I have issues with it. It's going to bother me.

Grym

They are re-running Arrow, but think like half way through the season.

That's what I figured since I got episodes 2-9 on DVR. But looking at upcoming recordings there is nothing on my DVR queue for Arrow scheduled so I was really confused. No idea how I missed the first episode though :/ I guess I"ll just buy episode one, continue on with what I have, and DVR the rest of the season as it airs. Thanks :)

Penguin

CLgYuUMW8AA0rvR.jpg

The CW has announced that Falk Hantschel has been cast as Hawkman in DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Falk will play Carter Hall, the latest reincarnation of an Egyptian Prince who is fated to reincarnate throughout time along with his soulmate, Kendra Saunders (played by Ciara Renée). Like Kendra, Carter can access the powers of the Hawk God, Horus, transforming him into the winged warrior known as Hawkman.

Hawkman cometh

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/08/03/casting-news-hawkman-soars-onto-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow

tim1138

Like Kendra, Carter can access the powers of the Hawk God, Horus, transforming him into the winged warrior known as Hawkman

This is a good way to do the Hawks on TV. Much simpler than trying to explain Nth Metal and Thanagar and all that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is pretty nifty, the CW is streaming all episodes of the original The Flash TV series

http://www.cwseed.com/shows/the-flash-classic/

The press release from DC:

71651TTSML_3bdd005c_900_55bfd8c14ad504.50844051.jpg

The Scarlet Speedster's blockbuster CW series starring Grant Gustin doesn’t return until October 6th, but The CW has something for Flash fans that may make the wait a little bit easier. Starting today, you can now stream every episode of the 1990-1991 version of The Flash through their online channel, CW Seed.

Starring John Wesley Shipp in the title role and boasting a title theme composed by Danny Elfman, the ‘90s Flash originally aired on CBS. While the show only ran for one season, it did get a chance to delve into the Flash's comic book mythology, introducing characters like Iris West and Linda Park and villains such as Captain Cold, Mirror Master and the Trickster (played by Mark Hamill).

00309648_e4ab58b4_900_55bfd8ec9ae521.37311871.jpg

This earlier version of The Flash isn’t exactly in continuity with the current CW take, but the newer show often pays tribute to it. Several of the ‘90s Flash actors have been cast in recurring or guest roles on today’s show. Shipp now plays Barry Allen’s father, while Amanda Pays, who played S.T.A.R. Labs’ Dr. Tina McGee on the earlier show, has appeared a few times as the same character in the new one and Hamill reprised his role as the Trickster in a memorable episode last spring.

While the special effects and costumes may seem a bit dated by today’s standards, the 1990’s Flash is still a blast and well worth a look if you haven’t seen it. While you’re at it, you may want to bookmark the CW Seed’s page or download the CW Seed app for iPhone/iPad or Android. Vixen, the animated series set within the Arrow and Flash universe and featuring the voices of Gustin and Stephen Amell, debuts there on August 25th.

This earlier version of The Flash isn’t exactly in continuity with the current CW take

isn’t exactly

t3WBvcS.gif

This is a good way to do the Hawks on TV. Much simpler than trying to explain Nth Metal and Thanagar and all that.
Who's to say that they won't? At least Nth Metal. It's a pretty integral part of the DCU. If they manage to go cosmic, they can go to Thanagar.
I'd love to see them explain their resurrected love throughout time

It didn't make sense within the DCAU. Lawd knows it won't here.

tim1138

Who's to say that they won't? At least Nth Metal. It's a pretty integral part of the DCU. If they manage to go cosmic, they can go to Thanagar.

It didn't make sense within the DCAU. Lawd knows it won't here.

My point is that they've had a hard enough time keeping the Hawks origins consistent in the comics, streamlining it to simply "magic" for TV is a good way to handle it. Plus that opens the door for Dr Fate to show up as well.

I really hope they use Kendra's costume from the Earth 2 comics as the basis for the show. The blue and black color scheme looks great.

Shaanyboi

Banned
My point is that they've had a hard enough time keeping the Hawks origins consistent in the comics, streamlining it to simply "magic" for TV is a good way to handle it. Plus that opens the door for Dr Fate to show up as well.

I really hope they use Kendra's costume from the Earth 2 comics as the basis for the show. The blue and black color scheme looks great.

Such a good costume.

So much better than

latest

I mean god damnit Bruce Timm. You have such awesome design sensibilities, but then for your most badass female character, you just shrug and go with the least interesting costume imaginable? The headpiece is fine, but just the costume. I mean christ.

Now Young Justice Hawkgirl... that was a fucking rad look.

yj-auldacquaintance2.jpg

tim1138

Such a good costume.

So much better than

latest

I mean god damnit Bruce Timm. You have such awesome design sensibilities, but then for your most badass female character, you just shrug and go with the least interesting costume imaginable? The headpiece is fine, but just the costume. I mean christ.

Now Young Justice Hawkgirl... that was a fucking rad look.

yj-auldacquaintance2.jpg

And let's not forget Justice League Unlimited Hawkgirl who ditched her entire costume for a sports bra and yoga pants.

Shaanyboi

Banned
And let's not forget Justice League Unlimited Hawkgirl who ditched her entire costume for a sports bra and yoga pants.

I mean... I get why she would. The 'Hawkgirl' persona is pretty much tainted after the Justice League Season 2 finale.

I should also mention her Thanegarian armor was super cool too.

latest

tim1138

I mean... I get why she would. The 'Hawkgirl' persona is pretty much tainted after the Justice League Season 2 finale.

I should also mention her Thanegarian armor was super cool too.

latest

Yeah plot wise it made sense, but design wise it was just kind of lazy.

Yeah Earth 2 Hawkgirl is cool. I've been reading through Earth 2, and she's a badass.

morningbus

It's unfortunate that the 3 seconds of quick and dirty CGI from the Legends of Tomorrow trailer makes it look like they're using Hawkgirl's DCAU Justice League costume as the reference point. The Earth 2 costume is so much better and would translate into a real outfit better, too.

Hopefully it was just a place holder.

It's unfortunate that the 3 seconds of quick and dirty CGI from the Legends of Tomorrow trailer makes it look like they're using Hawkgirl's DCAU Justice League costume as the reference point. The Earth 2 costume is so much better and would translate into a real outfit better, too.

Hopefully it was just a place holder.

In fairness to her JLU costume; I never saw it as a costume. She's not "Hawkgirl" anymore, so why wear a costume? Especially one that aligns herself with Thanagar, a planet she has forsaken for Earth. At that point, she has no non-human nor uniquely alien characteristics aside from her mace and her wings, and the mace can be taken away. She's just "Shayera" at that point. Just herself. It makes sense that she would wear just regular athletic clothes, given that she wants the world to see her as a person, not a traitorous alien warrior. Pre that, when she was "Hawkgirl," I have no argument for why that design is bad.

Granted, I feel like she should have worn some kind of battle armor. Only would have made sense, granted the counterpoint is Wonder Woman's outfit, though that has the built-in "it's enchanted!" excuse running for it.

I don't think Barbara was ever intended to be Batgirl. I believed from the very beginning that she'd end up dead and whomever Gordon ends up having a child with, that he would name Barbara.

Barbara Keane (Gotham's Barbara) is Jim's first wife in the comics. She's the mother of Jim Gordon Jr (who grew up to be a murderous psychopath), and divorced Jim and took their son out of Gotham.

Batgirl Barbara is the daughter of Jim's wife Roger and his wife Thelma, who died in a car accident. Jim adopted her.

Jim's second wife was Sarah Essen (the Captain on Gotham,) who was killed by Joker in The Killing Joke

Of course, none of this is binding for Gotham. They can (and probably will) go off in an entirely different direction.

munchie64

Barbara Keane (Gotham's Barbara) is Jim's first wife in the comics. She's the mother of Jim Gordon Jr (who grew up to be a murderous psychopath), and divorced Jim and took their son out of Gotham.

Batgirl Barbara is the daughter of Jim's wife Roger and his wife Thelma, who died in a car accident. Jim adopted her.

Jim's second wife was Sarah Essen (the Captain on Gotham,) who was killed by Joker in The Killing Joke

Of course, none of this is binding for Gotham. They can (and probably will) go off in an entirely different direction.
Sarah was killed in No Man's Land.

I did not know any of this. I'll be honest.

morningbus

I did not know any of this. I'll be honest.

I won't pretend to have known any of it beforehand either, but I did go read up on it.

Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Barbara Gordon is Jim's biological daughter.

Post-Crisis, Pre-New 52 Barbara Gordon is Jim's niece whom he adopts when his brother Roger dies.

New 52 Barbara Gordon is back to being Jim's daughter. Her mother is also named Barbara (Kean) Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom