• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Varna

tomedo said:
Can't get it to work either, doesn't work when I try to force AA for dcgame.exe from nvidia control panel.

Yeah. Game looks alright. But being able to tweak it a bit is what made me choose this over the ps3 version. I got 60 FPS to work by disabling the in-game option and using D3DOverrider. There are a lot of good tweaks in the ini, but none of them stick either. :(

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mercury Fred said:
All right, actually got to team up with someone last night.

One thing we couldn't quite figure out is how individual missions work if you team with other people. We couldn't get him to see my objectives-- is there any way to do that?
No way to see other peoples objectives. All you can do right now is group up and communicate via chat which mission to do. If you both have it in your journal, you'll both get credit for what the other person does.

Hopefully they figure something out soon cause it gets quite annoying having to coordinate everything via chat.

I'm literally hovering over Steam "checkout" with this game. Not sure if I can justify buying it right now, but the game looks fun...

Kind of put off that there is still no official GAF PC PvP server, is Zero Hour only PvE and everyone is joining that? Why are people steering away from PvP?

Also, I asked a page back or so but it never got answered: Is there any way to respec skills/abilities in this game?

tomedo said:
I don't seem to have SaveData under DCGAME. There CONFIG dir which has bunch of ini files but Im not sure which one of these would be useful for you.

Check your "my games" folder in "my documents" then. It should be in the same place. I have managed to figure out why settings do not save proper (and steam is to blame) so at least made some progress.

Nightz

MisterAnderson said:
I'm literally hovering over Steam "checkout" with this game. Not sure if I can justify buying it right now, but the game looks fun...

Kind of put off that there is still no official PC PvP server, is Zero Hour only PvE and everyone is joining that? Why are people steering away from PvP?

Also, I asked a page back or so but it never got answered: Is there any way to respec skills/abilities in this game?
Zero Hour is PvE, but there are areas where PvP is turned on. I actually have a mission in Metropolis right now where my objective is to defeat 5 human villains. Also, there is a PvP flag that you can turn on to enable you to fight other people.

As for respeccing...I was in the Watchtower looking at the map and I did see a couple of stations to respec. I didn't think about going to them to see if they were functional yet, but I can check on that later.

Nightz said:
Zero Hour is PvE, but there are areas where PvP is turned on. I actually have a mission in Metropolis right now where my objective is to defeat 5 human villains. Also, there is a PvP flag that you can turn on to enable you to fight other people.

As for respeccing...I was in the Watchtower looking at the map and I did see a couple of stations to respec. I didn't think about going to them to see if they were functional yet, but I can check on that later.

Are PvP servers grief central? Are there any safe areas at all? What are the penalties for dying?

hermit7

Just created a new character on Redemption. It is a Villain, sorcery and am planning on using her as a healer.

Ice tank is awesome and kicks ass btw.

Randy

Name: Seeker
Villain
EU PvE: Reality Lost
(In desperate need of AA... ATI CCC just doesn't seem to force AA in this game.)

35jvxuv.jpg

2iu8e87.jpg

LFG

Neophyte
thinking about picking this up sometime this week or maybe next. still undecided. does it require a huge time sink to gain any real progress? i love the idea, but don't want to feel like i must play nonstop to be competitive.. though i guess that's the nature of mmos :lol

Nightz

MisterAnderson said:
Are PvP servers grief central? Are there any safe areas at all? What are the penalties for dying?
Not sure about PvP stuff since I never tried it in the beta. I'm sure others will be able to chime in on that.

hermit7 said:
Ice tank is awesome and kicks ass btw.
Yessir! Doing that with my Sub Zero wannabe character. :lol

Killthee

metamonk said:
thinking about picking this up sometime this week or maybe next. still undecided. does it require a huge time sink to gain any real progress? i love the idea, but don't want to feel like i must play nonstop to be competitive.. though i guess that's the nature of mmos :lol
Leveling is pretty quick and the cap (30) isn't that high. If you play on the PvE servers you can completely go at your own pace.

LFG

Neophyte
Killthee said:
Leveling is pretty quick and the cap (30) isn't that high. If you play on the PvE servers you can completely go at your own pace.

nice! last question, for pvp arenas and dungeons/raids, can you queue like wow?

Killthee

metamonk said:
nice! last question, for pvp arenas and dungeons/raids, can you queue like wow?
I don't know how wow does it, but there's queues for instances, pvp arenas, raids, and duos.

tomedo

ChronicleX said:
Check your "my games" folder in "my documents" then. It should be in the same place. I have managed to figure out why settings do not save proper (and steam is to blame) so at least made some progress.

SaveData was generated sometime between my last post and this one (I've been doing multiple restart trying to get aa to work) but settings.xml only contains video resolution setting and .dcoprofile file is unreadable.

Whats the install size? I'm wondering how it will be handled after so much time and so many patches and potential future content updates. I would imagine a 20gb ps3 would not be a good idea for this?

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Whats the install size? I'm wondering how it will be handled after so much time and so many patches and potential future content updates. I would imagine a 20gb ps3 would not be a good idea for this?
Box says 16GB's are required, but hopefully their not capped so low. Initial install is just over 11GB's and the first patch is 2.2GB's so it's totaling at ~14GB's right now.

MisterAnderson said:

There are safe houses and a base where the opposite team cant enter, also there are usually 2 npc's outside the safehouses that instantly blast enemies away so they can't camp the exit and kill people when they leave.

The penalty for dying is that your equipment degrades and you have to pay to get it repaired.

Will hopefully have my european PS3 copy tomorrow, get some major playing on my days off in.

Dreohboy

Only real complaints...

1) Lack of customization. I understand why it is, but only having 3 body types that are mirrored through all characters is very disappointing. Where is the thin, but fit hero, or the slightly heavy (non-HULK like) hero?

2) Maybe later on there won't be as many heroes hangin in the same place, but I'm going to want to solo a lot of stuff...don't want to see a whole lot of other heroes within throwing distance.

3) The DC Universe. Brainiac as an antagonist is as boring as the get IMHO.

Complaints aside...

Game looks better than most MMOs I've seen, and it plays better than ANY MMO i've played. (LOTRO, WOW, Everquest, Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies).

I hope they plan on adding more body types moving forward.

So I'm more of a PvP server kind of guy simply because I enjoy the realism and the danger of venturing forth and having to possibly deal with random villains (after all, I think it would seem odd just seeing some villains flying by with no possible conflict happening) but I'm worried that I'm going to pick a PvP server, and EVERYONE on GAF will choose the one I'm not on...lol. I just know that that will happen.

Edit: Are there any issues with the Steam version vs. Retail PC? Does anyone know if I might have issues forcing AA or anything like that using the Steam version? (ATI)

Sqorgar

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So before I take the plunge and because Champions is on the way, what exactly sets the games apart outside of the setting?
CoX - Most missions are indoor instanced missions using the same six tilesets, leading to running down the exact same hallways fighting the same guys over and over again. A good game, but slow and repetitive. Every time I've tried to play City of Heroes, I've walked away hating the game even more.

Champions - Set in the Champions universe. A faster game with customization up the wazoo. Most travel options (some of them very fun), power choices, costume pieces. Very solo friendly. Has equipment, but they don't show on your character. Doesn't have very many instance mission with identical hallways.

DCUO - Just started this one last night, but has the faster combat. Very actiony. Has fewer costume options up front, but you get equipment in the game that permanently unlocks that's item's visible look that you can continue to use even with different equipment. Set in the DC Universe. Only three travel options (flight, super speed, and acrobatics, which is half flight/half super speed). Has tons of things to collect - too many, maybe. Seems like it might not take long to reach max level (I've heard 40-50 hours) and with only two main environments, I'm concerned that it won't have much lasting power.

Basically, Champions and DCUO don't seem that different. So far, Champions seems a little deeper and with more to do, but that may be because I'm more familiar with it, and DCUO seems a little more actiony. I like both of them and I'm considering a lifetime for DCUO - just depends on what their future plans for game are.

And what was so bad about Champions?
I actually love Champions. Have a lifetime subscription and play it fairly frequently. Since I don't dislike it, I'm going to take a guess at why people don't like it:

- Was headed by Bill Roper in the beginning. People don't like Bill Roper.

- It was developed by Cryptic. People don't like Cryptic.

- It wasn't City of Heroes 2. Some people wanted City of Heroes 2.

- Had a day one patch which fundamentally shifted the power balance, upsetting a lot of the beta players (myself included, but I got over it... eventually).

- Had a cash shop in addition to paid subscription.

- Development apparently stopped for about four months with absolutely no word from the community relations or dev team. This happened around the launch of Star Trek Online, which was so popular that people couldn't even connect to CO, and it was VERY frustrating to players. Devs eventually showed back up, well after everybody was beyond hostile, and then announced a paid expansion, which only pissed everybody off even more. They eventually released Vibora Bay for free and fired the community manager and seem to have regained some trust here, but it was a dark period for the playerbase. The free to play change seems to have taken focus right now, and there has been a lack of new content for a few months now (it's not as bad as, say, Vanguard, but it's a bit frustrating).

Champions Online is a good, fun game - the only MMO I've ever reached max level in - with some really creative environments you don't typically see in MMOs (Lemuria is awesome). But the game came with a lot of baggage and it has not been smooth running. My hope is that going Free to Play will make it successful enough to put the kind of development resources Star Trek Online seems to be getting.

Jas

Up to level 13 now, game is addicting! Encountered one freeze so far when playing a Legends PVP with Robin. Sent out a few invites to PS3 users, hope to see see you guys online.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
This has been worth the price of entry for (the looks of) Gotham alone, as close as I'm ever likely to get to my dream Batman/Catwoman/Huntress/whoever open-world game.

What a beautiful nightmare of a city it is.

Just took the plunge. Downloading on Steam now. Just can't pass up experiencing Gotham and Metropolis and making a bunch of cool looking heroes.

I just hope that this game has a lasting community, but that's a risk you take with any MMO at the beginning. So is anyone up for making a character with me on a PvP server (PC)? I am still hesitant to just pick a server for fear that after I level up my hero a bunch and come back to this thread, that the majority of GAF PvPers will have all claimed a server that I didn't end up going with...lol

yencid

in game version:

Wonder woman>Batman> Supes

Metropolis>Gotham (even tho gotham is waayyy more fucked than metropolis is)

in DC media:

Gotham > Metropolis

Batman>Wonder woman>supes

I really like traveling through metropolis >.<

Killthee said:
Box says 16GB's are required, but hopefully their not capped so low. Initial install is just over 11GB's and the first patch is 2.2GB's so it's totaling at ~14GB's right now.

Eek I don't think I can do it then with my 20gb PS3. Even cleaning it out some, I don't see how I can keep the game going with future patches and updates.

FredFish

D2M15 said:
This has been worth the price of entry for (the looks of) Gotham alone, as close as I'm ever likely to get to my dream Batman/Catwoman/Huntress/whoever open-world game.

What a beautiful nightmare of a city it is.

Yeah Gotham has excellent "atmosphere". Interesting that Metropolis is always daytime and Gotham always night. There's a lot of nice touches in the game, whoever did the Booster Gold dialogs should get a bonus and the collectible announcements by the guy that always ends with "...if you think THAT my friend then you are WRONG!" are entertaining

spats

thuway said:
I wonder where the professional reviews are for this game.

Aren't they supposed to play the game before reviewing it?

edit: nvm, this is videogame journalism we're talking about.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Eek I don't think I can do it then with my 20gb PS3. Even cleaning it out some, I don't see how I can keep the game going with future patches and updates.
Upgrade the drive when you run out of space. It's very easy to do, it shouldn't take that long to backup and restore the data off your old drive, and $50 will get you a 500GB drive.

AMUSIX

Played beta, but so far haven't signed up...

My biggest concern was lack of content. With a single character, playing casually, when I had reached level 15, I had played through all of WW's missions, played through the Bane, Harley, and Scarecrow storylines for Batman, played through Queen Bee for Supes, and had done a number of the Booster Gold tours and about 10 races. It really didn't give me confidence in how much content the game has...are my fears unfounded? Is the game worth a monthly?

AMUSIX said:

My biggest concern was lack of content. With a single character, playing casually, when I had reached level 15, I had played through all of WW's missions, played through the Bane, Harley, and Scarecrow storylines for Batman, played through Queen Bee for Supes, and had done a number of the Booster Gold tours and about 10 races. It really didn't give me confidence in how much content the game has...are my fears unfounded? Is the game worth a monthly?

That is how I felt, but I was doing the Green Corps missions during the BETA. Very hard missions to pass.

hermit7

How do you add people to your friends list. Where is it exactly, I was looking through the options and I was seemingly unable to find it.

AMUSIX said:

Do you think if I favor making multiple characters and switching often, would I get a lot of replay value by having each character have a different mentor? Or are "story missions" not really determined by mentors.

icechai

MisterAnderson said:
Just took the plunge. Downloading on Steam now. Just can't pass up experiencing Gotham and Metropolis and making a bunch of cool looking heroes.

I just hope that this game has a lasting community, but that's a risk you take with any MMO at the beginning. So is anyone up for making a character with me on a PvP server (PC)? I am still hesitant to just pick a server for fear that after I level up my hero a bunch and come back to this thread, that the majority of GAF PvPers will have all claimed a server that I didn't end up going with...lol

I made a character last night on Death & Glory, it seems like that's where quite a bunch of other communities are starting their PVP characters up. Although the only other PC PVP GAF guy just got listed on the other one :(. Either way my impressions of this game is it plays unlike any of the normal MMOs I'm used to, and that's a good thing (Aion, WoW, SRO). Looking forward to moving on up in the world :p

Sblargh

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Do you think if I favor making multiple characters and switching often, would I get a lot of replay value by having each character have a different mentor? Or are "story missions" not really determined by mentors.

Given that the game has 6 characters slots, 6 mentors and 6 trophies for being level 30 for each mentor, I would say the devs kind of want you having different mentors.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
How do you add people to your friends list. Where is it exactly, I was looking through the options and I was seemingly unable to find it.
Via the Social menu. If they're nearby you can select they're name and add them. If they're not but you know the character name, you go to the Who drop down menu and select Friends for the Add Friend option to appear.

hermit7

Killthee said:
Via the Social menu. If they're nearby you can select they're name and add them. If they're not but you know the character name, you go to the Who drop down menu and select Friends for the Add Friend option to appear.

Thanks they seem to have made that a lot more difficult than they should have.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Is this game fully voiced for quests and such? Or only generic grunts and etc.?

Finally got to play the game for a couple of hours, can't wait to get home and start some serious play.

Initial impressions are good. Graphics are nice. I like the customization options (although I wish they had some of the stuff Star Trek Online did for body types). Its cool you can unlock more styles for vanity slots as you progress through the game, I wish more games had that level of customization.

Leveling seems pretty quick, In a couple of hours of just bashing my way through quests as fast as I could I got to level 6.

Combat is fast and rewarding. Actions are responsive and for as much movement as there is in the game the camera works quite well. I've been using Mouse + Keyboard. You are usually taking on multiple mobs at once, so you actually feel like action hero/villian. Quests so far have been variations of Kill/Collect X of X, but more satisfying. For villians working for the Joker you get to plant car bombs and bribe rookie cops.

The game was definately made with consoles in mind, something about the menu system seems clunky to me. Not used to not having a mouse cursor on-screen at all times (like WoW and most other non-FPS games) which means you need to learn your hotkeys and chat commands.

Every time your character levels you seem to get a point you can spend on skills or abiltiies. So you get that feeling of constant progression.

I chose a PvP server, some high level hero was running around the villian lowbie areas, but a call for help including some directions resulted in a quick response of high level villians to drive him off. I think it helps both that the lowbie areas are close to the main base and that characters can travel so so fast with the movement modes.

Basically my biggest complaints right now are interface related, which is just something I need to adjust too. If I only play the game for the free 30 day trial I will walk away feeling it was worth the 50$ investment, we'll see if its worth a subscription at that point as I have no idea what end-game is like.

I'll be picking a PvP server to stay on tonight as well, I'll add myself to the list then.

Top Bottom