• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Been good reading impressions of the game, makes me feel like perhaps I should buy it now, instead of waiting a month to see 'how it goes'. :lol

If anyone has a spare 10 day trial, I'd be very grateful. :D

Medalion

Banned
Not sure why this was never on my radar but I saw this thread and watched some trailers... Very curious to try this out...

Will this game require a separate monthly subscription fee, even on the PS3 version or wut?

Xamdou

Some questions about the game:

1. Is there a party system?

2. Loot consist of gear? Is there a marketplace to sell gear?

3. For PVP, is there heroes vs villains?

Sblargh

Banned
Xamdou said:

Based on beta knowledge.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. (not available on beta)
3. Yes.

Xamdou said:

Yes to all 3. The game has an AH in the Hall of Doom/Justice though I have yet to use it. However I have done my first dungeon run, was kinda fun. Instead of it being a linear corridor followed by boss battles it was massive open areas with quest objectives we had todo to move on, with boss in between. The bosses were "meh" overall and did not do much except the last one, which was really good. It ported around, summoned mobs and all sorts. Apart from the last boss there was hardly much of a challenge if you stuck together, but was fun stuff.

I also have tried the legends PvP but since it is early days everyone only has 1 hero/villain unlocked, everyone was the same. Like 8 Robins vs 8 Harleys :lol

daebo

Okay, I must be dumb. How the hell do I enable the 360 controller to be used? I went into options to enable it and it says it is on... but no dice.

daebo said:
Okay, I must be dumb. How the hell do I enable the 360 controller to be used? I went into options to enable it and it says it is on... but no dice.

If you mean inside the game itself you got the option to turn it on, then it should work. If you only get it in the launcher then you have the same problem I have. There seems to be a problem with gamepads on x64 bit systems with this game that none of the dev's are owning up to :lol

tomedo

Wired 360 pad worked for me without touching anything (Win 7 64). I can switch between keyboard and pad without disabling the pad from options.

daebo

tomedo said:
Wired 360 pad worked for me without touching anything (Win 7 64). I can switch between keyboard and pad without disabling the pad from options.

I'm on the old vista... I'm all plugged in and it's not working. Decided to play with kb & m but would rather play with controller. Can't find anything either where anybody else is having this issue.

daebo

Worlds down.

I go to log back in and it says my character is level 1 again... Hope I just didn't waste that hour :lol

tomedo said:

Mind posting the contents of your config file here? It should be in dc universe online\UNREAL3\DCGAME\SaveData

Once I know what settings to put in, mine should work also. The part that is not working for me is the damn thing saving the settings.

Jas

Only up to level 5 so far but the game seems to be running well on PS3. The technical issues during beta were my only concern about buying it on day 1 and so far so good.

I'll start adding some of you guys playing Heroes on Redemption when the world comes back up. I'm pretty much snowed in right now so I'll be on all day :D

bill0527 said:
I'll add a bunch of you from the PS3 spreadsheet tomorrow.

Seems like a pretty cool game, that will get very hectic as the levels come. The controls aren't as bad as they could have been.

One problem I had already is that somebody, on night 1, already decided to grief us on the Redemption server. He positioned his toon in a doorway at the safehouse, such that nobody could get around him and he just stayed there. People needed to get through the doorway to get to the email station. He wouldn't move and nobody could get around him.

Not sure how this is possible as there are 2 entrances to the mail station area (the safehouses are designed so there are 2 entrances to anywhere to stop this from happening)

I've read the whole thread, but didn't find anything: as I understand the two versions are separated, does that means that PC players just play with other PC players, or both versions share the same servers?

If it's just PC-PC and PS3-PS3, did they mention anything as a future plan on sharing servers for both versions?

I'm asking it because I'm planning on getting it on the PC, but considering how almost every mmorpg past WOW bombed in a way or another (Or just shrinked to a tiny community/went f2p, see LotRO, D&D, Champions Online etc..) I don't know if it's worth the commitment+the money.

serotonina said:
I've read the whole thread, but didn't find anything: as I understand the two versions are separated, does that means that PC players just play with other PC players, or both versions share the same servers?

If it's just PC-PC and PS3-PS3, did they mention anything as a future plan on sharing servers for both versions?

I'm asking it because I'm planning on getting it on the PC, but considering how almost every mmorpg past WOW bombed in a way or another (Or just shrinked to a tiny community/went f2p, see LotRO, D&D, Champions Online etc..) I don't know if it's worth the commitment+the money.

Separate servers mate, never going to be joined

Hows the game look on the PS3 and run? I'm not huge into DC universe but a MMO on console is perfect for playing while I ride my exercise bike daily.

Nightz

demonkaze said:
Zero Hour Gaf, do we have a guild yet?
Not that I know of. You're Astraer, right? We talked a little bit about you creating the league...did you get around to doing it? I mentioned yesterday that I tried creating 'GAF Justice League' yesterday but the name was already taken. :lol If needed, I can set the league up later today after work.

demonkaze

Nightz said:
Not that I know of. You're Astraer, right? We talked a little bit about you creating the league...did you get around to doing it? I mentioned yesterday that I tried creating 'GAF Justice League' yesterday but the name was already taken. :lol If needed, I can set the league up later today after work.

Haven't got around to it yet, i logged shortly after we talked.

Have they reduced the pop in when flying around the cities?

They played around with it to fix the crashing issue in beta and it got pretty bad, that was my only complaint, the textures didn't load on buildings till you were going past them.

Nightz

demonkaze said:
Haven't got around to it yet, i logged shortly after we talked.
No worries. I'll set it up later today then. In the meantime, I'm open for name suggestions for our league. :D

tomedo

ChronicleX said:
Mind posting the contents of your config file here? It should be in dc universe online\UNREAL3\DCGAME\SaveData

I don't seem to have SaveData under DCGAME. There CONFIG dir which has bunch of ini files but Im not sure which one of these would be useful for you.

jogarrr

Extra (Sorcery/Flight/Staff) :
Extra.png

Nightz

dejan said:
How big is the Steam download incl. all patches? Are we talking 10, 15 or 20GB?
The Steam download was around 12 gigs, 2.2 GB patch after, and I think another small one. It should come in around 15 GB or so.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kyo_daikun said:
Have they reduced the pop in when flying around the cities?

They played around with it to fix the crashing issue in beta and it got pretty bad, that was my only complaint, the textures didn't load on buildings till you were going past them.
It was still pretty terrible last night on PS3. It starts out good, but a couple of hours after playing it begins to crap out and you're able to fly through most of the ground because of the lack of textures. Going back to the character select screen and logging in again fixes it temporarily.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Does the PC/PS3 versions also have separate subscription fees? I.e. - I would need to pay $30 a month to play both versions?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
IPoopStandingUp said:
Does the PC/PS3 versions also have separate subscription fees? I.e. - I would need to pay $30 a month to play both versions?
Yup. PC uses SOE's Station platform while PS3 uses PSN.

Big Chungus

AgentOtaku said:
Ah I see, thanks!

why?
It takes a few seconds for the menu option to appear...feels laggy and unresponsive at times and you can't use the dpad for some menus to move left/right only the L1/R1 buttons.

Ok damn, I think I'm actually going to take the plunge on this.

Who wants in on the Just Ice League with me? I don't even care if it's hero/villain, nor what server it's on.

fna84 said:
It takes a few seconds for the menu option to appear...feels laggy and unresponsive at times and you can't use the dpad for some menus to move left/right only the L1/R1 buttons.

Gotcha, thanks

How are the loadtimes in general?

All right, actually got to team up with someone last night.

One thing we couldn't quite figure out is how individual missions work if you team with other people. We couldn't get him to see my objectives-- is there any way to do that?

So before I take the plunge and because Champions is on the way, what exactly sets the games apart outside of the setting?

I enjoyed COH/COV but the genericness of the content and repetitive missions turned me away. What was different about Champions? Seems like alot of people had negative feelings about Champions but never knew why though it sounded like it was same game as COH.

What does DC Universe do that is different? I know the combat is apparently real time which seems interesting so far, but anything else unique/better than those other games.

And what was so bad about Champions?

Varna

GAF on any PVP server yet?

Any way to get to AA working on nvidia cards? Can't force it. :(

None of the .ini tweaks work either.. including the one to remove the 30 FPS cap. :(

Top Bottom