• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MisterAnderson said:
Can you upgrade your movement power as you gain levels?
Yes, at level 9 the Movement skill tree opens up. IIRC, Flight and Speedsters can unlock supersonic while Acrobats unlock the glider.

hermit7

bernardobri said:
Is this game fully voiced for quests and such? Or only generic grunts and etc.?

Yes it is, a lot of the voice actors are veteran DC people. Mark Hamill as the Joker, Kevin Conroy is Batman, Harley's voice actor returns etc.

Nightz

Killthee said:
Yes, at level 9 the Movement skill tree opens up. IIRC, Flight and Speedsters can unlock supersonic while Acrobats unlock the glider.
Yeah thank goodness I went to Metropolis after I got the glider ability. I would probably be pulling my hair out trying to run across that entire map. :lol

hermit7

Nightz said:
Yeah thank goodness I went to Metropolis after I got the glider ability. I would probably be pulling my hair out trying to run across that entire map. :lol

I have been neglecting getting the faster movement power in favor of using those points in my weapon specialty.

May need to choose it next level.

Are you stuck with your color scheme that you choose for your character at the start of the game or is there a way to change it at some point after?

yencid

MisterAnderson said:
Are you stuck with your color scheme that you choose for your character at the start of the game or is there a way to change it at some point after?
Style tab lets you change it.

Sblargh

Banned
So, I was reading the thread about WOW and that showed my ignorance about MMOs; I didn't even knew the so-called trinity (DPS, Tank, Healer) existed and I actually thought that "crowd control" was a DCUO expression.

That said, I didn't noticed how this affect the alerts on the Beta. So, here's the question:
How matchmaking works when looking for a Alert/Raid/Duo?
It always takes the trinity in consideration (the computer always try to put healer, tank and crowd control together) or the players have some to say on this? (apart from, obviously, forming a group before going to the raid)

Weenerz

Banned
Two dumb questions;

1: Are you able to change the type of travel power you have?
2: Are you able to skip the opening tutorial at all? I don't want to do that long horse shit every time I make a toon.

Killthee

Coins said:
Quick question. Is there lots of loot in this game? Rare loot?
Game is filled with loot. From random drops, to collection quest, to special loot boxes, to rare iconic loot (costume pieces from iconic villains/heroes).

Weenerz said:
Two dumb questions;

2: Are you able to skip the opening tutorial at all? I don't want to do that long horse shit every time I make a toon.
  1. No.
  2. Not that I'm aware.

Epcott

I was waiting for LBP2, but caved in and bought this instead... hope it's good (it was sold out at Best Buy).

Epcott.png

(edit: oh my... two hours later and it's still loading :-o )

mileS

another PC game with no options of AA... why does this continue to happen?
I've never had luck forcing AA with the ATI Catalyst before. Well besides Mass Effect 2 after you renamed the .exe

CaLe said:
Yup, forcing AA seems to have worked for me on my ATI.

do you have the steam version? if you can force it how come a couple of other people here that tried can't?

DurielBlack said:
I chose a PvP server, some high level hero was running around the villian lowbie areas, but a call for help including some directions resulted in a quick response of high level villians to drive him off. I think it helps both that the lowbie areas are close to the main base and that characters can travel so so fast with the movement modes.
Same thing happened to me except instead of a higher level villain coming to aide, all of the lower level villains started joining the fray and the high level hero barely made it out alive.

d0c_zaius

What are the PvP server rules?

Level 4, doing my first out of training quest, and some level 7 player comes and kills me in two seconds after stepping foot in gotham.

I'm not complaining though, it was actually cool :lol .

Unrelated but why does everyone ignore my questions :lol, but a question (even as the next post) about capes gets answered twice immediately

If I choose a cape at character creation can I take it off whenever I want?

Edit: Currently making my character. Not sure on the power set, but right now I have "Mental" and "Hand Blaster" chosen. PvP server Death & Glory

Fitz

mileS said:
another PC game with no options of AA... why does this continue to happen?

Because people keep using UE3.

Speaking of AA, I managed to get it working, to a degree, on my Nvidia card if anyone's interested. Created a profile in Nvidia Inspector and added DCGAME.exe from the install directory in my Steam folder, (not DCGAME.START.exe which task manager was displaying as the running application) and set the AA compatibility to 0x200100C5, which is Oblivion/FO3 setting if you do the profile scan. Then just chose AA settings as with any other game.
The results are VERY noticeable, but it's far from perfect, with 32xCSAA there are still jagies, especially at angles closer to the edge of your FoV. You may well be able to get better results with different AA Compatibility settings, but I couldn't be bothered to try a whole bunch of settings, considering how long it takes to actually get into the game from desktop.

EDIT: Just tried with 4x4SSAA and 8xSGSSAA and it was just as jaggy as 32xCSAA, so either a different compatibility setting is needed, or a driver patch is needed.

MisterAnderson said:
If I choose a cape at character creation can I take it off whenever I want?

You sure can, same applies to ANY gear in the game, you can have the looks of anything you picked up, with the stats of what you have equipped.

Weenerz said:
Two dumb questions;

1. Not that I know of.

2. Hold down the ESCAPE key (PC version of course, dunno about PS3).

I know I'm bombarding this thread with questions, but I think this is the last one for a while... can you change hairstyles after character creation? I'm spending too much time being indecisive in the character creation tool at this rate I'll never play :lol

Edit: My name has been taken. AKA I will be sitting here for another hour. FUUUUUU

Nightz

MisterAnderson said:
I know I'm bombarding this thread with questions, but I think this is the last one for a while... can you change hairstyles after character creation? I'm spending too much time being indecisive in the character creation tool at this rate I'll never play :lol
I don't think you can. Only options I have right now are my original hairstyle and none. Not sure if you can 'unlock' the other hairstyles somehow. (Edit: Guess you can buy your hairstyles :lol )

On another note, are there any Hero GAFers on Zero Hour right now? I need to be in a group to create the League.

Fitz

Yeah you can, you can unlock any look you had to choose from at character creation I believe. I saw a hairdresser earlier selling (surprise surprise) hair styles, I think she was in the Hall of Doom.

hermit7

Well just encountered an exceedingly annoying bug. After I would use a move, it wouldn't let me do anything attack, jump I was helpless.

Logged off shortly thereafter.

moop2000 said:
I like your avatar, I just met him the other night.

Awesome, how did you meet him?

And yeah...is it me or is there no option in the settings to switch to the 360 controller? Also I could have sworn I chose "powerful" or some such "attitude/stance" for my character but after a fight my guy always takes the "primal" looking stance...

Killthee

d0c_zaius said:
What are the PvP server rules?

Level 4, doing my first out of training quest, and some level 7 player comes and kills me in two seconds after stepping foot in gotham.

I'm not complaining though, it was actually cool :lol .

Unrelated but why does everyone ignore my questions :lol, but a question (even as the next post) about capes gets answered twice immediately
AFAIK, any hero/villain can go after any opposite faction member. Level doesn't matter, but if you're trying to complete the hero/villain bounty quest you need the fight characters around your level (+-5).

daebo

Okay, I'm having an absolute blast with this. I've beaten Scarecrow and Bane. Then for the heck of it went to Metropolis and beat Queen Bee. This is such a great and mindless fun right now. I've got a good 12 hours in today and I finally feel like I've got a great hold on my character.

I definitely think I'm going to fork out the 200 for a lifetime subscription. Just too much fun.

I've made two heroes so far and am on Death & Glory PvP server. I think there's at least one other who is also on that server as a hero according to the Spreadsheet.

Edit: Am I mistaken or is there no way to create characters on more than one server at a time? When the game boots up it just auto loads the first server I picked with characters on it and I don't see any "back" buttons or anything or server lists.

daebo

MisterAnderson said:
I've made two heroes so far and am on Death & Glory PvP server. I think there's at least one other who is also on that server as a hero according to the Spreadsheet.

Edit: Am I mistaken or is there no way to create characters on more than one server at a time? When the game boots up it just auto loads the first server I picked with characters on it and I don't see any "back" buttons or anything or server lists.

When you hit create new, it'll ask you for the server again like you did when you first made one.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
If this had been released in November as originally planned it might have gotten my vote for GOTY 2010. I think its that damn good. Been rolling with folks from the beta and getting a ton of feats for beating missions without dying, without using items, etc. I already earned enough skill points to max hand blasts (a feat) and now I'm working on maxing flight (another feat). Need 1 more point to max out the destiny tree (yet another feat). After I get the flight and destiny feat I'll respect my character and put the extra points toward passive bonuses.

My character is a level 23 (almost 24) Flight/Sorcery(Destiny)/Hand Blast dude on the Crisis server.

daebo said:
When you hit create new, it'll ask you for the server again like you did when you first made one.

Ah ok, thanks. I just made a martial arts dude. Do you have to use weapons as a martial artists? I was under the impression you could go hand to hand.

Edit: I'm guessing there's no way to change your character's "attitude" after character creation? I'm not a big fan of my guys' standing idle animation...

Killthee

ferr said:
Does the broker work in the watchtower? It doesn't seem to do anything.
Hall of Doom broker in PS3 is also not working for me yet. Either my level is too low or it hasn't been fully implemented yet.

hermit7

Seems like the servers are getting hammered there are all sorts of bugs I am running into. Cut sound people aren't showing up until I am nearly dead etc.

Might go and run an instance if anyone would be up for one.

d0c_zaius

Killthee said:
AFAIK, any hero/villain can go after any opposite faction member. Level doesn't matter, but if you're trying to complete the hero/villain bounty quest you need the fight characters around your level (+-5).

Cool thanks for responding!

I'm also curious if there are PVP free zones or if every area is just fair game.

WoW and the starter zones have coddled me too much :lol .

Ooh we've hit the big time now, login ques!

Killthee

d0c_zaius said:
Cool thanks for responding!

I'm also curious if there are PVP free zones or if every area is just fair game.

WoW and the starter zones have coddled me too much :lol .

Ooh we've hit the big time now, login ques!
Almost every area in the overworld (Metroplis/Gotham) is open to PVP. Safehouses (Police Department for Heroes, Nightclubs for Villains), Headquarters (Watchtower/Hall of Doom), Rally Points (the pink bubbles surrounding the respawn points in the city), and the indoor instanced areas are PVP free.

Safehouses also have guards at the door to prevent gankers from waiting at the exit while Rally Points have a computer that activates a small shock wave.

So, after running through the tutorial level and getting a few gear loot, I wanted to switch back to my original selected gear from character creation. However once doing so, the custom colors I assigned each gear piece was reset. Strangely enough, when I'm in the styles menu, it's how it should be, but in-game my colors are reversed. Pictures to demonstrate:

Wrong (In-game):

2qa8cjn.jpg

Correct (Styles menu):

1zvrfb4.jpg

I can't see any gear specific color options in the styles menu...but maybe I'm blind.

Top Bottom