• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

rocK`

Banned
Does anyone have a site/link to the full set of powers/skills?

I went guns/gadgets and I find it very boring, I'm hoping to pick something else up. I think I'm just going to go straight DPS...

shuri

Banned
i wonder if i'm going to be able to run this on my 20gb ps3.. This sucks :( also how come the game is delayed for Canada? It only seems to come out next week

DrBo42

Chriswok said:
Still so very tempted. I gave up WOW ages ago, and this looks suitably different that I won't get bored of it.
I just got half of my WoW guild to come play it with me. :lol

DrBo42 said:
I just got half of my WoW guild to come play it with me. :lol

:lol

Nice! I'm tempted, but I think I'd need to try it first before spending £30 on it to find out I don't like it, and never playing it again - that's one aspect of MMO's I don't like in general; you have to wait several months before the trials become available.

Nightz

shuri said:
i wonder if i'm going to be able to run this on my 20gb ps3.. This sucks :( also how come the game is delayed for Canada? It only seems to come out next week
Is upgrading your hard drive an option for you? The larger ones come in pretty cheap now and replacing the drive is a piece of cake.

shuri

Banned
Nightz said:
Is upgrading your hard drive an option for you? The larger ones come in pretty cheap now and replacing the drive is a piece of cake.
yeah it is, but i've heard that it's very easy to strip the screws, I wonder if theres a kit online that comes with the right screwdriver to do this..

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Xater said:
So now that people have been playing, how is the PS3 performance compared to the Beta?
A little bit more stable than US beta 1.05 and a little less pop in, but ground/buildings textures have a tendency to stop loading after a couple of hours of playing. Logging out and logging in fixes the issue temporarily and hopefully today's patch fixes it permanently. Freezing is pretty much gone if you play on a local server (people in Asia have been complaining about freezing when playing the US version). I'm level 14 right now and I've only frozen once. Sound bug is still in the game, but it's much less frequent now.

Nightz

shuri said:
yeah it is, but i've heard that it's very easy to strip the screws, I wonder if theres a kit online that comes with the right screwdriver to do this..
Yeah I actually almost completely stripped one screw the first time I did it, but I wasn't being careful. It's not super difficult with a regular screw driver...you just have to make sure to apply the proper amount of pressure so that the screw turns.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Time to jot me down in this universe. Check my profile for my PSNID. Talked to a friend and going into the Crysis realm or whatever you want to call it. Incase anyone wants to hit up some games.

Nightz

spandexmonkey said:
I love that the villain quests are just so villainous. I guess I'm tired of being the good guy in every single other mmo, it's fun to be a cliched villain out to wreck havoc on the innocent and harass the heroes.
I think I'll go with a villain for my second character once I max out my hero. I never got a chance to play villain in the beta so I'm excited to see what it's like working for Lex Luthor. :D

Dyno

I am not jumping into a subscription MMO until there are some stellar reviews. Usually GAF impressions are enough but - forgive me - there is going to be more bias on this one than most games. "I've payed X-hundred dollars on this game, of course I like it!" It's human nature to justify this kind of all-in commitment.

So no reviews yet? I'm hoping that means the reviewers are taking a full measure of the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
shuri said:
Worth upgrading and never looking back. And you only have a 20GB so you don't have to worry about backing up a ton. I have about 100GB to back up when I went from 250 to 500GB. It's worth it. MY drive is packed and I still have 200GB left. Probably a little less after DCU is done installing. I can always delete demos and other filler stuff like music if I ever get that low. 200GB with a stacked drive is great though. Get it and don't look back.

Dyno said:
I am not jumping into a subscription MMO until there are some stellar reviews. Usually GAF impressions are enough but - forgive me - there is going to be more bias on this one than most games. "I've payed X-hundred dollars on this game, of course I like it!" It's human nature to justify this kind of all-in commitment.

So no reviews yet? I'm hoping that means the reviewers are taking a full measure of the game.
The beta made great progress. This one is definitely as fun as people say it is.

gsnyder

shuri said:

It should be available in Canada, picked up my copy yesterday.

No45

Dyno said:
I'm not sure too many people are jumping in for the full lifetime subscription yet. I know I won't commit to any more than a month at a time when I start off.

That said, the beta cost me nothing and I still had a lot of fun.

Xater

Killthee said:
A little bit more stable than US beta 1.05 and a little less pop in, but ground/buildings textures have a tendency to stop loading after a couple of hours of playing. Logging out and logging in fixes the issue temporarily and hopefully today's patch fixes it permanently. Freezing is pretty much gone if you play on a local server (people in Asia have been complaining about freezing when playing the US version). I'm level 14 right now and I've only frozen once. Sound bug is still in the game, but it's much less frequent now.

Still doesn't sound like a great technical experience. That's disappointing.

Ok been putting off posting this until I found some items that I liked the look off. Took me ages to get a good looking headpiece that hides the bloody Lion ears :lol

a10m6p.jpg

If anyone wants to hook me up I'm Anubis on BloodStorm.

Nightz said:
I think I'll go with a villain for my second character once I max out my hero. I never got a chance to play villain in the beta so I'm excited to see what it's like working for Lex Luthor. :D

I did a villian under the joker, really enjoyed it, think im going to do a hero under superman for my first retail character.

Just hit 54% of this 2 gig patch...

Hixx

Err, what the fuck? You don't get a free month if you order through Steam?

edit: nvm, looks like you have to put your CC details in just to get the free month which is shit.

edit 2: oh god 8 gig patch :lol

Done ~3 gig in 20 mins though, so not all bad.

darkwing

are the patches in the PS3 download resume? i mean i can stop then resume, don't want to run the PS3 for 2 days to download the 17+ GB patches :lol

Salz01

Im on the fence on this one... I dont know if I should go PC or PS3. I want to support the PS3 version since its the first MMO for it, but then I normally play MMO's on the PC...

hmmm

Killthee

darkwing said:
are the patches in the PS3 download resume? i mean i can stop then resume, don't want to run the PS3 for 2 days to download the 17+ GB patches :lol
The first 11GB 40 minute "download" is actually just the disc installation. The real patches are only ~2.5 GB's and yes, you can auto resume them.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok so here are my thoughts based on 4 hours of gameplay last night. I ran through the tutorial area and played through a couple of the first city missions.

I grabbed DC Universe Online for the PS3. So far I'm having a blast ... it plays like a cross between Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which I loved), Diablo/Dungeon Siege and World of Warcraft.

Almost no grinding, the game is based on hack and slash style traditions but with the customization of WoW. So you've got loot drops (which drastically change the look of your character), WoW bar with abilities (kind of similar to Guild Wars), and combat that's straight Marvel Ultimate Alliance style. Doesn't feel grindy.

The game world itself is nice looking and very quest driven, with big xp bonuses for completing. Servers are PvE or PvP ... PvE servers you can toggle on or off a PvP flag or go into instanced PvP areas (which are a tonne of fun). The full on PvP servers are also available (very few safe areas in the game, but it seems that the grief factor is alot less than other titles because of the hack and slash type gameplay). Oh and the controls are custom made for consoles ... it feels very much like Marvel Ultimate, but with alot more complexity and an awesome loot/customization system.

The best part about the game though is the atmosphere ... it really does appeal to comic fans, and fighting alongside Superman was a stupid but awesome thrill last night in the tutorial sequence. I'm impressed so far, for a console MMO it seems like they did it "right".

I've been looking to get into something like this for awhile ... Haven't really been playing much games lately, completely burned out on FPS's, and also have a serious lack of time to play much thanks to my schedule.

Anyways check out the opening cinematic (one of the best I've been treated to in a long time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXt7hKDz1-0 )

So far I really like the game (only invested 4 hours so far so YMMV) ...

Not too worried about the subscription fees ... either I'll get bored a month in and move onto something else (like almost every other game we play), or really get into the game and subscribe which to me is the equivalent of paying for monthly DLC.

If any of you get in on this I currently have a character on a PvE server (redemption I think it's called but will double check). Also plan on making a character on a PvP server.

Really want to get back into gaming .... life's become too hectic I need mindless entertainment.

DrDogg

A few questions for GAF before I determine if I want to pick this one up.

- It looks like the PC and PS3 versions are on completely separate servers and can't play together. Is this true? Seems like FFXI would've set the standard on how to do this properly.

- If they are on separate servers, it also looks like you've got separate PvE and PvP servers. Does this divide the player base even more? Under these circumstances I'm concerned with the longevity of the PS3 release.

- If all of the above is correct, how's the population on the PS3 PvE server if anyone knows? I understand it's still in the free trial period, but I'm still curious if anyone knows numbers or has a comparison of the servers.

- How is this game in terms of gameplay? I generally like very technical classes where I can support the party of take the standard "White Mage" job. I don't like "easy mode" games where I can watch TV while playing and still play well. I also *hate* soloing in MMOs, so is there a lot of party play encouraged?

- If I decide to get this for PS3, I have the 60 GB launch version. Will I run into any patching issues in the future? I could get this on PC, but I'd rather not. I prefer console gaming.

Thanks!

darkwing

Killthee said:
The first 11GB 40 minute "download" is actually just the disc installation. The real patches are only ~2.5 GB's and yes, you can auto resume them.

ahhh thanks for the clarification :D

oktarb

I'm very tempted to get this game but I've made a vow in 2011 to choose my games a little more wisely.

Considering there's no crafting it appears that there's only two main things to do. Quest and PvP. Do you find yourself getting bored yet?

If you're only a dabbler in MMO PvP will a huge portion of this game be lost on me?

Besides your character is there any customization of your safe house? Are there and team super bases ala City of Hero's base constructor?

Liberty4all

Banned
DrDogg said:

- It looks like the PC and PS3 versions are on completely separate servers and can't play together. Is this true? Seems like FFXI would've set the standard on how to do this properly.

- If they are on separate servers, it also looks like you've got separate PvE and PvP servers. Does this divide the player base even more? Under these circumstances I'm concerned with the longevity of the PS3 release.

- If all of the above is correct, how's the population on the PS3 PvE server if anyone knows? I understand it's still in the free trial period, but I'm still curious if anyone knows numbers or has a comparison of the servers.

- How is this game in terms of gameplay? I generally like very technical classes where I can support the party of take the standard "White Mage" job. I don't like "easy mode" games where I can watch TV while playing and still play well. I also *hate* soloing in MMOs, so is there a lot of party play encouraged?

- If I decide to get this for PS3, I have the 60 GB launch version. Will I run into any patching issues in the future? I could get this on PC, but I'd rather not. I prefer console gaming.

Thanks!

PS3 population seems healthy ... there was such a big demand for PvP they had to add servers.

Gameplay is great ... reminds me of mutated GuildWars/Sacred/Diablo/WoW. Combat is like Marvel Ultimate Alliance in my opinion with Diablo/Guild Wars style loot drops. You can easily customize a character to play traditional style roles (tank, healer, buff/debuff guy, etc). One nice thing though the game doesn't leave you defenceless if you go healer .... everyone has a "main" weapon that can dish out damage (although more damage if you specialize skill points in the line).

Right now I went Sorcery with an eye on the heal line. Also plan on putting some into the Summoning (creatures) line. Still figuring things out. Love my bow and arrow.

Nightz

DrDogg said:

Since the last two questions were answered already, here are the answers to the first two:

Yes, PC and PS3 are on separate servers. Each platform also has its own split of PvP and PvE servers.

DrDogg

Thanks guys!

I really don't like the fact that the PS3 and PC are on separate servers, and that there are two PS3 servers on top of that. To me that's just asking for trouble.

That said, is there a heavy focus on party play or do you find yourselves soloing more often than not?

Liberty4all

Banned
DrDogg said:
Thanks guys!

I really don't like the fact that the PS3 and PC are on separate servers, and that there are two PS3 servers on top of that. To me that's just asking for trouble.

That said, is there a heavy focus on party play or do you find yourselves soloing more often than not?

Two? There are multiple servers for the PS3. Alot of people bought this.

Nightz

DrDogg said:
Thanks guys!

I've found myself doing half and half. Though you can solo most missions, getting into a group is more fun. On the server I'm on there are always people asking if others want to join them for specific missions, so I haven't had problems finding a party.

Salz01 said:
Im on the fence on this one... I dont know if I should go PC or PS3. I want to support the PS3 version since its the first MMO for it, but then I normally play MMO's on the PC...

hmmm

share the same opinion though I don't play MMOs at all anyway.
Only stuff i've been even remotely interested in years is this and Old Republic. haven't played an MMO since '04.

Liberty4all

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
share the same opinion though I don't play MMOs at all anyway.
Only stuff i've been even remotely interested in years is this and Old Republic. haven't played an MMO since '04.

This is my first console MMO.

One nice thing is that the controls are built for console players ... and with a wireless keyboard you kind of get the best of both worlds.

Personally for me the game feels very similar to Marvel Ultimate Alliance in some ways ... I'd go for the big screen TV experience (consoles usually).

No45

You can chat (KB supported) the same way you would in a PC MMO, or use the headset (groups only I believe).

Liberty4all

Banned
on PS3 from what I could see there was alot of keyboard chat happening (but much less I'm guessing than you would see on a PC).

Lots of silent people as well just soloing.

Give it a week or two to settle, I think alot more people will "hook in" (get mics/kb start chatting) on the PS3 version.

jmdajr

I wonder if people will still be playing it a year from now?
Just one of those things where you might regret it if you don't get in early

Liberty4all

Banned
jmdajr said:

Final Fantasy lasted on the 360 for years and it's horrible (IMHO). Phantasy Star Online lasted for years too (still going I think?)

No reason why this won't last on the PS3 ... especially since there is no competition in the console MMO arena on this system.

Also consider this is SOE we are talking about ... they don't believe in shutting down their games. Isn't Planetside still running with like a 100 people playing?

Carl

jmdajr said:

That's just one of those things when you jump into a new game, no matter what it is.

Sblargh

Banned
jmdajr said:

Besides what Bamelin said, there will probably be early expansions as well. You don't get the license to use the entire DC Universe and don't invest on milking it to death.

Looks like the Uk was supposed to get the preorder bonuses for the game but Sony didnt bother to tell any of the retailers (its on the official website)

If you look at this blog post he just apologises, no mention that they are actually going to sort it out, typical Sony etc etc...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/01/12/dc-universe-online-trophies/

Stuff like this just makes me lose more and more faith in them.

Edit: Only 2 servers for europe PS3

PvP: Crossfire
PvE: For all Seasons

Is there a way to respec in the game?

Been working on Circe's quest line and it's been a blast. Stealing souls, turning people into demons, defiling holy temples, good stuff.

I'm going make the jump and get this in the UK tommorow

i really hope it does not disappoint.

btw is it exactly like Crackdown and are there some kind of DC orbs:D to collect ?

Killthee

spandexmonkey said:

Been working on Circe's quest line and it's been a blast. Stealing souls, turning people into demons, defiling holy temples, good stuff.
You can reset your Skill/Power points by going to your headquarters (Watchtower/Hall of Doom) and using the respec machine ($500 bucks for every use). Villain respec machine is in the Pit next to the hairstyle sales lady.

jogarrr

spandexmonkey said:

Yes, you can reset your spent power and skill points via a terminal in the Watchtower/Hall of Doom.

Liberty4all

Banned
For those of you with avatars on both PvP and PvE servers ... how do they compare in your opinion?

Is PvP only filled with hopeless griefing? Parties are a must?

PvE boring or are the PvP sections on PvE servers adequate for when you want to get your PvP on?

Top Bottom