• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
d0c_zaius said:
PS3

I like my console designed MMOs on consoles, so I'm willing to sacrifice some master race performance just to try a PS3 designed MMO.

So this game was designed for PS3 and ported to PC? Im also interested and I was thinking it be the perfect chance to try a console MMO. But I have a great PC so if its not really that different and the performance isnt good on PS3 ill go for PC.

Broadbandito said:
so for the people who beta tested the ps3 version. From 1-10 how much is it improved from the beta performance wise and freezing wise?

For me I would give it an 8 or 9, nearly all of the bugs from beta have been addressed, I will say im throughly impressed, noticed as well the graphics are better, some of the effects are very detailed.

Pop in has been extremly reduced, hopefully they will keep up on the patches.

Hixx

Oh god. You know when you start a game and you're thinking 'well, this is good. But what else is there to do?'... I was thinking that about 30 mins ago then I decided to explore the UI and whatnot and wow, I am kind of overwhelmed. I still would've liked a more PC-ish UI (it feels a bit clunky to get through some menus with the control pad and I don't really like using the KB&M with it either... I'm hard to please ;)) but the combat, exploration... just everything is so well done. Stun locking is WAAAAAAAY too easy though in PvP. My gadget dude - lock on, chuck sticky bomb, do a combo, repeat till poor sod is dead.

I think this will be my new go to game for quite a while unless there's a drastic nosedive in quality/content soon. Loving it.

OK this game has been my baby since it was announced. So I am AMPED!

Beta was fun and it came a looong way, but it's launch time and I'm in. Hell, I'm dropping the 6 year habit of WoW for this. They've pissed me off for the last time. :lol

PS3 here. Updating now so should be on in about 20mins or so. Redemption server so I'll update the spreadsheet with my info once I'm logged in!

It's GO TIME! :D

Macattk15

SO.

How does this game differ from say Champions Online? I'm interested ... but fear it will be almost exactly the same as it largely appears to be.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Macattk15 said:
SO.

How does this game differ from say Champions Online? I'm interested ... but fear it will be almost exactly the same as it largely appears to be.

Great question, Champions got really boring really fast for me. Is this the same type of gameplay, mash mash mash?

Boss gave everyone the day off work tomorrow :D would love to group up with some of you tonight if possible. Is there any ps3 gaf leagues active yet? I got a hero on the killing joke server and a villian on the redemption server.

CaLe

Trin3785 said:
Great question, Champions got really boring really fast for me. Is this the same type of gameplay, mash mash mash?

I find the combat faster paced and much more fun.

The environments have more style, the quests are fully voiced and the world is in the DC universe instead of a generic one.

d0c_zaius

Dreohboy said:
It's a CONTROLLER designed MMO. I like my PC MMOs with a controller. :D

whatever semantics you prefer. But if you play WoW with a controller I feel bad for you :lol .

Traditionally, PC focused MMOS don't cater to controllers, at least the ones I've been playing since SWG.

Macattk15

CaLe said:
I find the combat faster paced and much more fun.

The environments have more style, the quests are fully voiced and the world is in the DC universe instead of a generic one.

I got bored of Champions so fast ... and I just don't wanna pay $100 (for myself and g/f) to just play for a month :(

Do instances / dungeons exist? How do they work? Is there defined tanking / healing / dps'ing ... with trash and bosses that reward useful loot?

hermit7

Just reached level 20, I am really enjoying the game. If anyone is up for some grouping I want to tackle a few of the Instances later tonight.

I'm just about to get this game on Steam and was wondering about the download size

how long did it take for you Steam guys to download and did you guy's get any errors ?

Nightz

GringoLOCOo said:
I'm just about to get this game on Steam and was wondering about the download size

how long did it take for you Steam guys to download and did you guy's get any errors ?
Took me a couple of hours to download the client then patch it. No errors. It's about a 12 GB download for the client, then there's a 2 GB patch.

Weenerz said:
What is the max level of the game? Only 5 atm, since I'm so busy, but I want to know what my goal will be.

Level 30 but remember that there is exclusive content on both hero and villain sides, as well as from each mentor so there's good reason to make more charas.

Stupid question, but how do I take screenshots? I see the option to remove the HUD from screenshots, but I can't find the button to take them. :lol

jogarrr

For PC F9 takes screenshots. There is an option in the options menu to hide the HUD; by default the HUD is hidden.

For PS3, I don't think you can currently.

Installing now! Will update the spreadsheet once I've gotten in and created a char.

Are there any GAF leagues (PS3) already that I can join? Didn't see that info in the spreadsheet.

Also wow this thing is going faster than thought.

UFRA

Anyone know any tricks to get the mics to work on the PS3 version?

I have a non-Sony Bluetooth mic. It shows it's connected as normal, I'm in a group and league with my friends but I don't hear them and they don't hear me.

:/

UFRA said:
Anyone know any tricks to get the mics to work on the PS3 version?

I have a non-Sony Bluetooth mic. It shows it's connected as normal, I'm in a group and league with my friends but I don't hear them and they don't hear me.

:/

All I know is that they have to be on before you launch.

Edit: spreadsheet updated with my PS3 info.

Repgnar

I think i'm going to pick this up for the PS3 tonight. Would like to play with some gaffers so i'll go through the speadsheet and see where most of you guys are playing. Once I get everything set up i'll add myself in there wherever I choose.

My first attempt:

DCGame-2011-01-14-11-54-50-83.jpg

A shameless rip-off I know. :lol

I'll create my own unique character later on tonight I think.

UFRA

krypt0nian said:
All I know is that they have to be on before you launch.

Edit: spreadsheet updated with my PS3 info.

Anyone with a non-Sony Bluetooth mic have any luck with mics working?

Dreohboy

Just wanted to say that even though WoW may look good...it ain't got SHIT on this game.

WarBlade looks NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.

Swordplay2.jpg

Swordplay.gif

Strong.jpg

BadAss.gif

Anyone know how to turn in PVP Bounties? Did the Gotham one and it says to return to the nearest Gotham night club...and I do and it doesn't update or say anything else :/ what am I missing ?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BMX Bandit said:
Anyone know how to turn in PVP Bounties? Did the Gotham one and it says to return to the nearest Gotham night club...and I do and it doesn't update or say anything else :/ what am I missing ?
I think you have to interact with the bounty posters once again.

Prodigal

Banned
Can someone give me a quick rundown of how loot works in this game? Is it like WoW where I'm constantly picking up stuff, more akin to PSO where it's just armor/money/weapons/etc, or is there very little?

Safe Bet

Banned
Honestly wish they were offering a free trial.

Also...

With so many MMOs going free-to-play is it really smart to join the fray following a business model only WoW seems to be able to penetrate the mass-market with?

Any villians on the redemption server wanna group up, sitting in the tap room and I keep asking but no one responds. Any Gaf leagues on any of the ps3 servers. Id make a new character right now just to join a league with you guys.

Raoh

On a serious note...

Anyone else just want to shoot Booster Gold in the face?

If he was a real life character.. i'd say I wouldn't like him and punch him in the face..

Reminds me of marvels Wonder Man

:lol :lol :lol :lol

sorry just had to.. i just sigh every time i hear his voice

UFRA

Well this mic issue is beyond me.

I have tried every mic I own:

-My non-Sony Bluetooth mic (which works fine with EVERY other game I own)
-PS2 Logitech USB mic
-PS Eye camera mic

None of them worked. Tried various tactics with all 3 mics:

-Start up mic first, then game.
-Start up game first, then mic.
-In-game, turn mics off, then on.
-In-game, disable and re-enable mics via settings menu.

No success AT ALL. How could such a simple thing be so broken...

Somnia

UFRA said:
Well this mic issue is beyond me.

I have tried every mic I own:

-My non-Sony Bluetooth mic (which works fine with EVERY other game I own)
-PS2 Logitech USB mic
-PS Eye camera mic

None of them worked. Tried various tactics with all 3 mics:

-Start up mic first, then game.
-Start up game first, then mic.
-In-game, turn mics off, then on.
-In-game, disable and re-enable mics via settings menu.

No success AT ALL. How could such a simple thing be so broken...

I've had mics work so far no problem. I have the tritton ax720's. Your mic must be on before logging in, but I think you need to go into social and over on the left you will see chat in a drop down bar, hit x on it and switch to voice (I think it says chat, but its in that general area). That's what I did at least.

I do voice chat with anyone in the league or in group, I think you have to pick if you're doing voice or "chat".

Prodigal said:
Can someone give me a quick rundown of how loot works in this game? Is it like WoW where I'm constantly picking up stuff, more akin to PSO where it's just armor/money/weapons/etc, or is there very little?

I am also interested in how the loot works.

UFRA

Somnia said:
I've had mics work so far no problem. I have the tritton ax720's. Your mic must be on before logging in, but I think you need to go into social and over on the left you will see chat in a drop down bar, hit x on it and switch to voice (I think it says chat, but its in that general area). That's what I did at least.

I do voice chat with anyone in the league or in group, I think you have to pick if you're doing voice or "chat".

Tried that as well. :(

Hmm, so I just added a couple people from the spreadsheet but when I go to access them from my in-game friends list, the drop down menu wont stay long enough for me to group with them, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

SOE-- great game, but horribly clunky and broken communication system!

Varna

Dreohboy said:
Having to communicate in this game with a keyboard is FUCKED.

This game is going to make me by a new headset.

Yeah. It's incredible how bad it is. Found it to be much easier to just use the steam chat to communicate.

Randy

Mercury Fred said:
Hmm, so I just added a couple people from the spreadsheet but when I go to access them from my in-game friends list, the drop down menu wont stay long enough for me to group with them, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

Yup, here as well. Horrible chat system atm.

Hawk269

Well, I cracked and got the game. Ended up getting the PS3 version, even though my PC kicks ass. Main reason was that my Graphics Card is on it's way to EVGA for their Step Up program. Basically trading in my 480 for a 580 and only had to pay shipping and handling, but it will be about 8-10 business days before I get it back. If the game kicks ass, I will give the ps3 version to my nephew and get the PC version down the road.

Anyways, just got home and currently installing the game. Will see some of you in the game world.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Prodigal said:
I can't compare it to WoW because I've never played it, but it is similar to PSO. There's loot drops for each part of your costume; Head, Face, Chest, Hands, Waist, Legs, Feet, & Back. There's also weapons, trinkets (infinite reusable items that temporarily buff your stats), misc junk you can sell for cash/quest items you need to collect, Emblems for your costume, and restoration items.

All enemies drop at least $1 of Cash and sometimes you'll get some random loot drop. The most common drop is the misc junk you can sell to the vendors/quest items. Every now and again the enemies will drop some uncommon loot (costume pieces, weapons, restoration soda). There's also usually at least 1 glowing box in the instances/dungeons that is guaranteed to have an uncommon costume piece/weapon. Bosses at the end of a quest will always drop some rare Iconic gear (Harley's hat, Raven's hood, Hive Queens belt, etc....). There's also rewards for completing a quest and items gotten from completing collections/investigations (find X number of orbs during a main quest).

Unlike vanilla PSO, you don't pick items one by one, you press a button combo (L2+R2 on a DS3) and you suck up all the loot around you that belongs to you. If you're in a group, you each get a copy of the common loot (misc junk/quest related stuff). Semi-rare loot and rare-loot will be dropped into a holding pin and you'll each have to do a roll (Need, Greed, or Pass) for it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most costume pieces/weapons aren't truly unique appearance wise. Most of them belong to a certain style, once you equip the piece, the style will be unlocked for that costume piece/weapon permanently. This is how you can equip a Techno style shirt, yet have your appearance locked to your old Egyptian style shirt. Iconic gear works the same way, but all the pieces are actually unique.

TLDR; Game is filled with shit to collect.

Mercury Fred said:

Yeah, I've come across the same bug. Use the /invite command to group and /tell to communicate if you're experiencing it often.

Maaseru

Banned
I'll finish my last final exam and I;m gonna get this stat!! Loved the beta played until like lvl 14.

How do I pay, is it directly within the game or through my PSN wallet? CArds?

Top Bottom