• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Ferrio

Banned
Bamelin said:
For those of you with avatars on both PvP and PvE servers ... how do they compare in your opinion?

Is PvP only filled with hopeless griefing? Parties are a must?

PvE boring or are the PvP sections on PvE servers adequate for when you want to get your PvP on?

edit: crap thought i was in WoW thread. Stupid tabbed browsing!

oktarb

Does anyone have a link for a graphical comparison between the PC and PS3 version. Did a Google search but found nothing of substance.

Liberty4all

Banned
There's definitely a Crackdown flavour to the world but I think it depends on what type of travel you choose. I'm a flier which makes the game experience different from say acrobatics ...

I'd imagine acrobatics type travel would be closer to a Crackdownish flavoured experience.

Nightz

Added links to the game guides on the official site to the second post in the thread. Pretty good overview for people just starting out.

PC
PS3

Thanks to Dreohboy for bringing them to my attention.

Dreohboy

Totobeni said:
for someone who don't play MMO, will the free 30 days be enough?
Enough to get you hooked?

Heck yeah.

Game has grown on my a lot in only two days. Once I started to focus on the missions it was over.

I may need to start over on another server though. I hope my name is still available.

I can't seem to find information on this anywhere, so I will ask here.

Can I be a green lantern? Get a ring of power from the guardians and the like?

I am tempted to try this game out, will wait a few more days for more gaf feedback first I think, but damn if the fmv intro didn't hype me up :D

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Had a friend tell me about this game. I played City of Heroes back in the day, but WoW consists of my primary MMO gaming. Would it be an easy transition to get into DCU?

Weenerz

Banned
mikespit1200 said:
Had a friend tell me about this game. I played City of Heroes back in the day, but WoW consists of my primary MMO gaming. Would it be an easy transition to get into DCU?

DCU is much more like WoW than it is to CoH. Same questing system, talent trees and loot system. I say give it a try for a month or two.

Varna

It's great how responsive everything remains even with a lot of people around. I haven't seen a server hit "high population" yet, but hopefully it stays smooth. Game is quiet beautiful once you get out into the city. Pretty cool to see all the different heroes people make too. Some make you want to start over... I want to fly around and blast shit too!

What I'm a bit turned off about right now is that it seems like every single skill is just put 1 point in it, and you have it, and that's it there's no upgrading that skill like, say, WoW talent trees or Diablo.

Is there like, gear later on that give bonuses to your abilities or something? And does anyone find "hide" in the "tricks" section of Gadgetry useful at all? Whenever I use it during battle, my character throws a smoke bomb on the ground, and nothing happens... enemies are still attacking me. Is it maybe only used to break being stunned or something? Or just to lower "threat" when in a party?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anslon said:
I am shocked because I saw sinestro corp members on a stream, so I know it has to be coded into the game.
AFAIK, it was supposed to be a power at launch (along with Earth and Electric) but they weren't able to complete it in time so they shelved it. I'm sure it'll be part of the first expansion or they'll add it in one of the quarterly event updates.

demonkaze

Sorry I haven't been on lately guys, been busy with work. Rest assured I hope to get quite a bit of playtime during the weekend.

MisterAnderson said:
What I'm a bit turned off about right now is that it seems like every single skill is just put 1 point in it, and you have it, and that's it there's no upgrading that skill like, say, WoW talent trees or Diablo.

Is there like, gear later on that give bonuses to your abilities or something? And does anyone find "hide" in the "tricks" section of Gadgetry useful at all? Whenever I use it during battle, my character throws a smoke bomb on the ground, and nothing happens... enemies are still attacking me. Is it maybe only used to break being stunned or something? Or just to lower "threat" when in a party?

Lack of upgrading skills is fine with me, its more satisfying to get a new SUPER ULTIMO KICK power than to get +1% damage to the SUPER ULTIMO KICK I got 3 levels ago.

I think your using the wrong power for hiding. Smoke Bomb is a separate ability and I think its at the bottom of that tree. Theres a stealth ability, I think its in the second row of the middle column in gadgetry (I'm at work, I can't check to be sure) that is the one you want to hide.

You can only hide out of combat (which is standard), and you get the crouching/fade animation (really just like a rogue on WoW). Pretty sure theres a chance you can be spotted while stealthed, and I think AoE attacks can expose you as well. Also your action bar at the bottom changes to several new abilities.

One of the abilities is a stun, another is a powerful melee suprise attack, and one lets you place down a mine. I like to combine the land mine with the grapple ability, nothing like stealthing, dropping a mine, then grappling a target into the mine, they take massive damage, stunned, and get knocked down.

Theres a couple of other abilitied I haven't experiemented with yet, I was having too much fun with the above mentioned combo.

I heard, on The Geekbox, that there was a way to kind of pause and take yourself out of the action. Is this the stealth they are talking about or is it something different?

FredFish

Has anyone created Leagues on Redemption for Gaf yet? I've been doing missions for my villain since launch and haven't bothered with any group content yet but would like to team up with some Gaffers for Bounty stuff like Funhouse and the Statue.

Anslon said:
I heard, on The Geekbox, that there was a way to kind of pause and take yourself out of the action. Is this the stealth they are talking about or is it something different?

I don't think so, you can't stealth while in combat (unless thats an unlockable I haven't seen yet), and bringing up the main menu just blocks your view of whats going on, and enemies can still beat on your while your messing with your inventory or whatever. Its an MMO so theres not really a way to "pause".

Possibly they refer to questing in the open world, its pretty easy to use your movement mode to run away from a fight and hide somewhere to regen health and look through your quest journal, etc.

Anslon said:
I can't seem to find information on this anywhere, so I will ask here.

Can I be a green lantern? Get a ring of power from the guardians and the like?

depends, are you able to overcome great fear and have strong willpower?

Repgnar

I've always wondered what a MMO would be like on a console. How do the ps3 players enjoy it? Also, this may have been asked but do you have to supply a debit/credit card for the 30 day trial that comes with the game? My wow subscription is about to run out and i'm thinking about trying this out for a month at least.

Dmorr07 said:
I've always wondered what a MMO would be like on a console. How do the ps3 players enjoy it? Also, this may have been asked but do you have to supply a debit/credit card for the 30 day trial that comes with the game? My wow subscription is about to run out and i'm thinking about trying this out for a month at least.

I had to sign up using my CC to get the free 30-day trial. I'll probably have to cancel it before they charge me. I'm enjoying the game but I would rather get some time cards than use my credit card for it. Anyone seen any cards at their local BB/Gamestop? My local BB didn't have any.

UFRA

ezekial45 said:
Wow, i really wish there was like a free trial or a demo. I ain't got the cash for it now.

There is a free 30 day trial, however you'd have to buy the game still.

One thing that really bothers me about this game is the dreaded "social" window. The fact that I can't seamlessly type to people without this gigantic window blocking my view is horrendous and I don't understand how anyone could have thought that was a good idea. Unless I'm missing something and there's a way to just type in the chat window on the bottom left that I don't know about.

Killthee

MisterAnderson said:
One thing that really bothers me about this game is the dreaded "social" window. The fact that I can't seamlessly type to people without this gigantic window blocking my view is horrendous and I don't understand how anyone could have thought that was a good idea. Unless I'm missing something and there's a way to just type in the chat window on the bottom left that I don't know about.
Select(DS3)/Back(360 Controller)/Enter(KB) will allow you to focus on the small chat window.

Pimpbaa

oktarb said:
Does anyone have a link for a graphical comparison between the PC and PS3 version. Did a Google search but found nothing of substance.

You don't need a link to know that the PC version is significantly better. At the very least you will have higher resolutions and higher framerates.

daebo

MisterAnderson said:

I just hit 'enter' and it lets me type down at the bottom left hand side... i don't even know what the social window is lol.

UFRA

This is really weird.

On the PS3 version it downloaded the initial 11GB+ data in 30 minutes. That's super fast. Then, it went on to a separate 2GB download and it's BARELY moving at all. 22 minutes in and only 29% done. :(

Nightz

UFRA said:
This is really weird.

On the PS3 version it downloaded the initial 11GB+ data in 30 minutes. That's super fast. Then, it went on to a separate 2GB download and it's BARELY moving at all. 22 minutes in and only 29% done. :(
Apparently that initial 11 GB is not really a download, but an install of data from the disc. The 2 GB part is an actual patch download.

UFRA

Nightz said:
Apparently that initial 11 GB is not really a download, but an install of data from the disc. The 2 GB part is an actual patch download.

Ooooooooooohhh well that would explain it. :lol

Damn, here I thought I unleashed some kind of super-download-speed from my ISP. :p

Is there anything else to download/install after this 2GB part?

Hawk269

I have not followed this game at all and did not realize that it came out, so I have a few questions:

1. PS3 or PC?
2. Does the PC version support the 360 Pad? I would assume it does, since the PS3 version uses the controller.

Thanks Everyone!

Nightz

Hawk269 said:
I have not followed this game at all and did not realize that it came out, so I have a few questions:

1. PS3 or PC?
2. Does the PC version support the 360 Pad? I would assume it does, since the PS3 version uses the controller.

Thanks Everyone!
1. Quite a few GAFers have gone with the PS3 version, but we also have a good representation on PC. It's your personal choice.
2. Yes and it works extremely well.

Hawk269 said:

1. PS3 or PC?

Thanks Everyone!

PC master race.

Yes.

Killthee

UFRA said:
Ooooooooooohhh well that would explain it. :lol

Damn, here I thought I unleashed some kind of super-download-speed from my ISP. :p

Is there anything else to download/install after this 2GB part?
Are you on 1.02? Today's patch for the US (1.02) is a 50MB in game download, it should be included with the 2GB patch if you're on 1.02.

Broadbandito said:
so for the people who beta tested the ps3 version. From 1-10 how much is it improved from the beta performance wise and freezing wise?
Pop in is still there, but gladly today's patch fixed the texture bug that would cause people to fall from the ground. Stability is much improved, I have a lv 19 character and have only experienced 2 system freezes in all the hours I've played. Sound bug seems to be gone, but there's a new bug that screws up the comm link every now and again until you log out and log in.

Overall I would say it's better than beta 1.05 (I'd give it an 8) and nothing like beta 1.0 (10 if we're comparing to to that buggy crap).

Dreohboy

d0c_zaius said:
PS3

I like my console designed MMOs on consoles, so I'm willing to sacrifice some master race performance just to try a PS3 designed MMO.

It's a CONTROLLER designed MMO. I like my PC MMOs with a controller. :D

Top Bottom