• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Does anyone know for sure if you can respec your second weapon choice? Someone responded with "I believe so" but if anyone knows 100% that would be a big help so I don't spend the entire day deciding which to choose since it may be permanent.

Nightz

So last night I started having some crashing issues. Game loads up and gets stuck right before the character select screen comes up. I Alt+Tab out and see the crash report window. Fill it out and the game closes. Same thing happens everytime I load the game. Anyone have similar issues or know how to fix it? Official forums aren't really helping.

Killer

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Tricky question, I think it would work with an american disc but there are certain problems.

1. You would have to use a european account to play it.
2. You would need to buy a 30 day sub from the Euro PSN store as the one that comes with your game will be for the US PSN store.

This is me speculating, can't be 100% until someone tries it.

Thanks. I think i'll wait until i get a definite answer.

Dreohboy

theta11 said:
I played on the PS3 beta and had some fun. I'd be willing to give this a shot but I'd like to know is there still rampant freezing or his it been fixed. How does the PC version hold up against the PS3?

It holds up as a PC game very well. Through my STEAM copy installation was seemless, runs great at 1680 x 1050, supports the 360 controller perfectly... and based on this story, even at SOE they had PS3 gamers playing with PC gamers with no problem, but once it got to release....the PSN vs. the STATION issues kept the game from being cross platform.

Except for the menu system and communication this is a very entertaining game on PC.

Effect

Dreohboy said:
It holds up as a PC game very well. Through my STEAM copy installation was seemless, runs great at 1680 x 1050, supports the 360 controller perfectly... and based on this story, even at SOE they had PS3 gamers playing with PC gamers with no problem, but once it got to release....the PSN vs. the STATION issues kept the game from being cross platform.

Except for the menu system and communication this is a very entertaining game on PC.

So the menu is design primarily for the PS3?

How about voice chat on the PS3? Included when it comes to groups? Are there chat channels for text communication?

Those on the PS3 how is communication between other players when not in fights? Do players take the time to do so?

Carl

jmdajr said:
So how are you guys liking it? Is it easy to get into if you never have played mmorpgs?
is it just like a marvel ultimate alliance?

This is the first MMO i have ever played. Loved the Beta and loving the full game too. Granted i'm not very far into it, but still.

Like someone said on the last page, it's basically a brawl game that happens to be an MMO. Very easy to get into. Hopefully not too easy to get addicted to!

Repgnar

I ended up getting it on steam. Is there an active group of people playing on a certain server or should I just pick the server with the most people on it on the list? Probably going to pick a pvp server.

Dmorr07 said:
I ended up getting it on steam. Is there an active group of people playing on a certain server or should I just pick the server with the most people on it on the list? Probably going to pick a pvp server.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm on the Death & Glory PVP server and have been playing with Varna as of yesterday. I have a level 7 and a level 10 right now.

Dreohboy

Dmorr07 said:

If you decide to go PvE, Zero Hour is kinda popular on here. There is a link to the players in the original post.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
MisterAnderson said:
I can't speak for everyone but I'm on the Death & Glory PVP server and have been playing with Varna as of yesterday. I have a level 7 and a level 10 right now.

Oh snap! didnt see you got this game too! Were gonna have to roll on the hero side sometime!

Trin3785 said:
Oh snap! didnt see you got this game too! Were gonna have to roll on the hero side sometime!

Haha yep, and yeah both of my characters are heroes on that server. Is it possible to have both heroes and villians on the same server? Like on one account?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
mikespit1200 said:
Is there a demo for the game on PS3/PC? Also, can I play on firmware 3.41 on PS3?
No demo. You need to access the PSN to play so you'll need to either update the firmware or spoof it somehow.

MisterAnderson said:
Haha yep, and yeah both of my characters are heroes on that server. Is it possible to have both heroes and villians on the same server? Like on one account?
Yes.

Speevy

Banned
So...what's the overall consensus on this game?

Like...overwhelmingly positive? Just good? Fans only? Hit and miss?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Speevy said:

I personally had not looked at this game at all while it was in development and heard about it here on GAF for the first time tuesday. I also like the DC universe but was never really into comics too much and I dont really know to much about the history of this universe. I also HATED champions online and was worried this would be the same type of game. I dont think its the license (as I am not a huge fan of DC or any comic universe really) and the gameplay seems simple. Its just been tons of fun smashing enemies and flying around using powers. It doesnt remind me of WoW at all and is alot like Crackdown/Marvel Ultimate alliance and I also HATED Crackdown. Its a nice break in between starcraft2 and WoW for me and I think ill keep playing as long as it is properly supported (SOE lol). So all in all, it reminds me of some games i hated but I love it!. Probably doesnt help much .....

Speevy said:

I'm more of a "casual" comic book fan. I enjoyed the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, and DCU kinda has that feel, but you only control one hero of course.

It's pretty much just constant action with a bit of exploration thrown in. Seeing the real super heroes throughout the world is pretty cool, and sometimes it's just fun to sit there and watch the amazing variety of costumes people come up with.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Speevy said:

Awesome. I've always had an itch to play a superhero game flying around battling villains and this game hits all the right cords.

Liberty4all

Banned
Speevy said:

Honestly it's a mix of really good elements from a whole bunch of games.

It's got the LOOT! factor from Diablo/Dungeon Siege/Guild Wars/Sacred 2.

It's got the OMG HUGE WORLD TO EXPLORE and stuff to finds! factor of WoW/Sacred 2/Crackdown.

It has the I AM A GOD factor of Crackdown when standing on building staring down at the puny people beneath you that have to use mundane systems of travel like "walking"

It has the luscious quests of WoW

It has the beat em up Combat of Marvel Ultimate Alliance

It has the social scene of most major MMO's (take your pick)

It has competitive PvP open world or instanced, take your pick ... pvp reminding me alot of Guild Wars in terms of balanced powers

It has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and many other childhood fantasies fighting by your side taking down menacing robots and other ridiculously dressed villians.

So if I had to put my finger on it I'd say it's a GOOD mix of Diablo, Guild Wars, Sacred 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Crackdown and Prototype combined with fantasy childhood thrills

Do you like the good parts of any of these games I just mentioned? Could you imagine all of these game elements tossed together into an MMO? Does the idea of taking down a bunch of bad guys with Superman by your side sound good to you?

Yes?

Then you need to buy DCU.

Nightz

demonkaze said:
Any gaffers online now on the zero hour server that can invite me into the league?
I would, but I can't even get into the game. Waiting for tech support. :(

You can search for Crimson in game. He has invite powers.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I feel silly asking, but is there a monthly fee? Don't see anything about it in the OP. If not I will pick this up for sure. If so I will probably pass.

Liberty4all

Banned
bistromathics said:
I feel silly asking, but is there a monthly fee? Don't see anything about it in the OP. If not I will pick this up for sure. If so I will probably pass.

yes. Regular MMO prices (15/mth) a little cheaper if you buy in bulk.

Nightz

bistromathics said:
The OP spans 2 posts. ;)

How much will a subscription cost?

US Subscription Packages:
1 Month - $14.99
3 Month - $41.99
6 Month - $77.99
12 Month - $143.99
Lifetime Subscription - $199.99 (Available on PC only)

Europe/PAL Subscription Packages:
1 Month - €12.99
3 Month - €34.99
6 Month - €64.99
12 Month - €124.99 (Available on PC only)
Lifetime Subscription - €179.99 (Available on PC only)

Liberty4all

Banned
darkwing said:
i'm curious how you pay it on the PSN, it just automatically deducts from your PSN wallet?

Yes. And if you don't have money in your wallet it will bill your CC to fund your wallet (unless you have turned off auto renewal)

Bamelin said:
Honestly it's a mix of really good elements from a whole bunch of games.

It's got the LOOT! factor from Diablo/Dungeon Siege/Guild Wars/Sacred 2.

It's got the OMG HUGE WORLD TO EXPLORE and stuff to finds! factor of WoW/Sacred 2/Crackdown.

It has the I AM A GOD factor of Crackdown when standing on building staring down at the puny people beneath you that have to use mundane systems of travel like "walking"

It has the luscious quests of WoW

It has the beat em up Combat of Marvel Ultimate Alliance

It has the social scene of most major MMO's (take your pick)

It has competitive PvP open world or instanced, take your pick ... pvp reminding me alot of Guild Wars in terms of balanced powers

It has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and many other childhood fantasies fighting by your side taking down menacing robots and other ridiculously dressed villians.

So if I had to put my finger on it I'd say it's a GOOD mix of Diablo, Guild Wars, Sacred 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Crackdown and Prototype combined with fantasy childhood thrills

Do you like the good parts of any of these games I just mentioned? Could you imagine all of these game elements tossed together into an MMO? Does the idea of taking down a bunch of bad guys with Superman by your side sound good to you?

Yes?

Then you need to buy DCU.

ARGH!!! MUST...NOT...BUY!!!

EDIT: WOW! That's a really good Lifetime price.

darkwing

Bamelin said:
Yes. And if you don't have money in your wallet it will bill your CC to fund your wallet (unless you have turned off auto renewal)

how do you get the 3month package for instance? menu items on the PSN store? what if i don't have a cc attached to my PSN account?

Liberty4all

Banned
darkwing said:
how do you get the 3month package for instance? menu items on the PSN store? what if i don't have a cc attached to my PSN account?

I'm not sure to be honest ... first 30 days are free so I haven't got that far yet =)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Nightz said:
The OP spans 2 posts. ;)
BTW, the Online Pricing FAQ was wrong on the yearly sub pricing. The actual price is $134.99.

darkwing said:
Menu items in the store. There's a DC Universe Online folder under the what's new category with all the subscription packages. You can use PSN cards to pay for the sub.

Xamdou said:
How much hard-drive space do I need for this game?
The back of the PS3 box says 16GB's required, but right now the install+patches is totaling at a little bit over 14GB's. PC takes around 16GB's I think.

darkwing

Killthee said:
Menu items in the store. There's a DC Universe Online folder under the what's new category with all the subscription packages. You can use PSN cards to pay for the sub.

nuuuuuhhhhhh :( its just too tempting, i have to find a copy then lol

hermit7

So I have not been receiving any new quests.

Level 22, and am flying around looking to quest and I can't find any. Just as an aside there is a ton of griefing in the Killing Joke. Went looking for Bizzaro and like 6 villains come up and attack me. Shit little level 7s come and attack, and I just get completely bogged down.

Xamdou

So are the names for superheroes go in first create first get basis? Ie if I want to create a hero named Akuma or Adon but it's taken already I am SOL?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Xamdou said:
So are the names for superheroes go in first create first get basis? Ie if I want to create a hero named Akuma or Adon but it's taken already I am SOL?

You could always be xAKUMAx =D but I am pretty sure if someone took it its gone

Safe Bet

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's basically an action game that happens to take place in a MMO universe.
wi4fe.gif

Repgnar

For the two main PC servers, are you guys hero or villian? From what i've read the villian side is usually outnumbered so i'm leaning towards them but I could go hero if there's more people on gaf with them. Almost done with the download so I should be in shortly.

Xamdou

Trin3785 said:
You could always be xAKUMAx =D but I am pretty sure if someone took it its gone

Whack, I should have bought it day one. I bet all the original names I want are gone already and I will be stuck making some generic names for my heroes.

Also what server does PC gaf play on?

Nightz

Killthee said:
BTW, the Online Pricing FAQ was wrong on the yearly sub pricing. The actual price is $134.99.
Thank you, kind sir. Updated the OP.

Dmorr07 said:
For the two main PC servers, are you guys hero or villian? From what i've read the villian side is usually outnumbered so i'm leaning towards them but I could go hero if there's more people on gaf with them. Almost done with the download so I should be in shortly.
A lot of us on Zero Hour are heroes.

Xamdou said:
Whack, I should have bought it day one. I bet all the original names I want are gone already and I will be stuck making some generic names for my heroes.

Also what server does PC gaf play on?
Zero Hour for PvE. Death & Glory for PvP.

Xamdou

Nightz said:
A lot of us on Zero Hour are heroes.

Zero Hour for PvE. Death & Glory for PvP.

Zero Hour it is then.

But for Death & Glory PVP can I transfer my Zero Hour character or do I have to make a new one?

Nightz

Xamdou said:
Zero Hour it is then.

But for Death & Glory PVP can I transfer my Zero Hour character or do I have to make a new one?
You'll have to create a new character for each server.

Nightz

Xamdou said:
Is there a gaf clan/group within Zero Hour PC?
Yeah I started one. Unfortunately I'm having crashing issues with my client right now so I can't log in. You can search for the character Crimson in-game though and he can invite you.

Top Bottom