• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

CaLe

Killthee said:
PS3 version uses PSN while PC uses Station, nothing links the account together. You'll need to pay for 2 subscriptions if you want to play both versions.

Ouch. Thanks.

I'm debating which one to play... I jailbreaked my PS3 for the homebrew, and that bit me in the *** since almost nothing got released thus far. I don't know if Sony will ban those who jailbreaked, hence why I'm relunctant to play that version of the game.

Then again, I find playing on a couch much more comfortable and I believe the game would run better there than on my PC...

Ah.. Choices, choices.

CaLe said:
Ouch. Thanks.

I'm debating which one to play... I jailbreaked my PS3 for the homebrew, and that bit me in the *** since almost nothing got released thus far. I don't know if Sony will ban those who jailbreaked, hence why I'm relunctant to play that version of the game.

Then again, I find playing on a couch much more comfortable and I believe the game would run better there than on my PC...

Ah.. Choices, choices.

1) Get an HDMI cable
2) Plug PC to TV using HDMI cable
3) Sit on couch
4) ????
5) Profit

Edit: I'm kind of confused how the 2nd weapon set works...so right now I have Hand Blaster. Say I also get Brawler. When I initiate a combo using my mouse buttons will it do the Brawler move or the Hand Blaster move?? How does that work?

Can anyone tell how Amazonian Deflect works? It doesn't seem like it deflects jack shit... I was expecting at the very least a cool animation or something.

CaLe

MisterAnderson said:
1) Get an HDMI cable
2) Plug PC to TV using HDMI cable
3) Sit on couch
4) ????
5) Profit

Edit: I'm kind of confused how the 2nd weapon set works...so right now I have Hand Blaster. Say I also get Brawler. When I initiate a combo using my mouse buttons will it do the Brawler move or the Hand Blaster move?? How does that work?

Dude... You're absolutely right. Damnit why didn't I think of it... I even have my pc connected to my TV !

I swear, sleeping 4 hours for a week has funny effects on your mental stability.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This game is so good...

I got to level 30 yesterday and was inducted into the JLA (Bat Cave was nice) so I've been finishing up some wanted poster missions and doing feats now before I start doing all of the level 30 missions that popped up (there are a lot of them), the alerts, duos, raids, etc. Definitely a lot of end game content to do.

Baron Aloha said:
This game is so good...

I got to level 30 yesterday and was inducted into the JLA (Bat Cave was nice) so I've been finishing up some wanted poster missions and doing feats now before I start doing all of the level 30 missions that popped up (there are a lot of them), the alerts, duos, raids, etc. Definitely a lot of end game content to do.

Is there a lot of awesome loot when you reach those levels? Im talking PSO frying pan/chainsaw awesome.

akikos1.jpg

chain_sawd_forest.jpg

I've tried a couple of Iconic powers and both of them have been very underwhelming IMO. Amazonian Deflection (I feel like it doesn't do anything and was hoping for a cool gauntlet deflection looking animation but all it does is emit a quick yellow shockwave or something??) and "Word of Power" (takes like at least 5 seconds before it goes off and you can be interrupted really easily, completely worthless in PvP). Does anyone have any recommended iconic powers?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Outtrigger888 said:
Is there a lot of awesome loot when you reach those levels? Im talking PSO frying pan/chainsaw awesome.

My styles have been locked and I just got to 30 so I have no idea. I doubt there is anything that ridiculous though. There are orange items that are considered epic rares. I haven't seen any yet though.

Effect

Okay I recall hearing on one of the videos before launch and even beta that on some missions players will be able to fight each other in order to complete a mission first for their side. Is that still in the game? Is that mainly on PvP servers or are they certain areas and missions that are like that on the PvE servers?

Baron Aloha said:
My styles have been locked and I just got to 30 so I have no idea. I doubt there is anything that ridiculous though. There are orange items that are considered epic rares. I haven't seen any yet though.

Felt the same way had everything locked. But realized I found some pretty cool looking stuff, whats the point of working for it if you your not gonna show it off. But then again I found some stupid looking stuff, and you always want your hero/villian to be the way you created them and not turn into looking like a robot like my current character

Effect said:
Okay I recall hearing on one of the videos before launch and even beta that on some missions players will be able to fight each other in order to complete a mission first for their side. Is that still in the game? Is that mainly on PvP servers or are they certain areas and missions that are like that on the PvE servers?

Pretty sure random PvP events pop up and it gives you the location. Never gone myself. Or have any clue if you just meet at that area or if you have to go into the PvP menu

So how does endgame look? It seems one could reach max lvl quick, I would hope theres lots to do once you max out. Looking up info all I see is a preview of Smallville being added to the game later on and such.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MisterAnderson said:
I've tried a couple of Iconic powers and both of them have been very underwhelming IMO. Amazonian Deflection (I feel like it doesn't do anything and was hoping for a cool gauntlet deflection looking animation but all it does is emit a quick yellow shockwave or something??) and "Word of Power" (takes like at least 5 seconds before it goes off and you can be interrupted really easily, completely worthless in PvP). Does anyone have any recommended iconic powers?
I think I remember someone in the beta thread saying Supes Laser Eyes was a bit overpowered. Give it a shot.

Personally I've only tried Bane's Venom Injector and it disappointed me so I've been focusing on the main power trees.

Effect said:
There's events like that. The only one I've run across is the Ring War Event in front of the Metropolis LexCorp HQ (~lv 12 I think). Heroes have to defeat new villains to help the Lantern Corp while Villains have to defeat new heroes to help the Sinestro Corp. The side that beats up the most players wins the event. The event is available on both servers, the only difference in the PvE server is I think you have to turn on the PvP flag manually.

Mercury Fred said:
You too!

We'll have to do some more soon :D
Can't wait till we have enough people to form an 8 person group!

rcl66

Got a vault ticket and have had it crash twice now when in the vault collecting tickets. Anyone else seeing anything like this? Playing on PS3 - so it takes a long time to restart when this happens.

Effect

Thanks. Glad those events are in the game.

Not liking the character creation to much. Picking a skin tone isn't as easy as it should be. Can't get the color brown at all.

Killthee

rcl66 said:
Got a vault ticket and have had it crash twice now when in the vault collecting tickets. Anyone else seeing anything like this? Playing on PS3 - so it takes a long time to restart when this happens.
I had that happened to me once earlier today. Was a little surprised and pleased that it dropped me back in the vault when I restarted.

Killthee

tribal24 said:
did someone make a league for the killing joke server on ps3? i would love to make it with someone if its open still?
Go for it. Send me an invite if you make a Villain League. Character name is Enchantress.

rcl66

Originally Posted by rcl66:
I had that happened to me once earlier today. Was a little surprised and pleased that it dropped me back in the vault when I restarted.

First time it crashed it dropped me back there, 2nd time it didn't and I no longer have the ticket. Do you get anything more than cash from the vault?

Killthee

tribal24 said:
its a heroes league >.> i created a hero we cant cross invite can we?
I don't believe so. It would be pretty funny teaming up together and then ganking each other when the other side least suspects it lol

calder

I was planning on buying ME2 for PS3 on Tuesday for the heck of it even though I have it on PC already... but damn this thread may have changed my mind.

Killthee

rcl66 said:
Originally Posted by rcl66:

First time it crashed it dropped me back there, 2nd time it didn't and I no longer have the ticket. Do you get anything more than cash from the vault?
You can get regular loot as well. Anything from weapons, to armor, to styles, to rare iconic gear. It's all there in the vault, but usually it just gives you cash.

Be aware you can use the Vault option in the On Duty menu to teleport there once a day (separate from the tickets).

FLEABttn

Banned
I got Journeyman's Boots from the vault. That brought me back.

I'll need to start a thread complaining about their run speed being nerfed come next patch.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Effect said:
Thanks. Glad those events are in the game.

Not liking the character creation to much. Picking a skin tone isn't as easy as it should be. Can't get the color brown at all.

i got it to work :)

Haunted

Ok, now I'm confused. This is an MP-only |OT| full of multiplayer discussion. If there was ever one thread who actually belonged in the community forum according to the new policy, it's this one. >_>

Diablohead said:
I like the idea of a glowing odd coloured man in underwear, can he shoot lazers?
You meant to ask whether he can grow and multiply at will, right? And warp himself to Mars and blow up people in Vietnam.

Revolutionary said:
Though, the controller is really good in this game so I don't see why they couldn't have at least had a few cross-platform servers or something.

The PS3 has support for a keyboard / mouse Via USB. It's not like that is anything todo with it. The real reason is prob Sony does not want the PSN commoners to be tainted by the Glorious PC Master Race taunting them with their 60fps and DX11 Graphics.

Anyways the game says I can buy more vault tickets, anyone know where? I speaking to the ambush bug and he does not sell anything.

Axiom

I reached level 30 and that final mentor quest was pretty swell.

Annoyed that it asked me to choose my reward and then wouldn't let me pick the Justice League Badge :(

Killthee

Let the hoop jumping begin!

20110115-pgfpmrfkiym9t4a3s5b92h3tak.jpg

Looks like the crazy PSO style frying pan weapons will be in the game as Iconic trinkets.

Haunted said:
Ok, now I'm confused. This is an MP-only |OT| full of multiplayer discussion. If there was ever one thread who actually belonged in the community forum according to the new policy, it's this one. >_>
I thought the new policy was meant for really old OT's that kept getting bumped because the same people kept talking about MP. New games that focus on MP can have OT's in the Gaming forum, but once the game starts to get an established community of MP regulars and it's mostly just those people bumping the thread, it'll be moved to the Community forum.

ChronicleX said:
The PS3 has support for a keyboard / mouse Via USB. It's not like that is anything todo with it. The real reason is prob Sony does not want the PSN commoners to be tainted by the Glorious PC Master Race taunting them with their 60fps and DX11 Graphics.

Anyways the game says I can buy more vault tickets, anyone know where? I speaking to the ambush bug and he does not sell anything.
I remember reading some people speculating that the Vault tickets will be sold in the Marketplace for real cash. Not sure how true or false it is.

Nightz

Haunted said:
This is only temporary. I originally created the thread in the Community section, but the mods were nice enough to move it to the Gaming side for a little bit to get it more exposure...which I think has worked quite well.

On another note, I'm still having problems getting my game to launch. I did a scan with Steam and it's redownloading 5 GB worth of files so I'm hoping this fixes it. If not, I might just hop over to the PS3 side.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone had a Batman Beyond Hoodie! Frack me that vault does not get me anything at all, everything i get from there i already have.

Killthee

G-Fex said:
Guys if I bought it on PS3 could I use a PSN card to pay a month? Then keep doing that each month?
Yes. The PS3 version doesn't use SOE's Station platform at all. Everything billing related is handled by the PS Store allowing you to use the PS Wallet/PSN Cards to pay for your subscription.

RdN

I really enjoyed the beta, but I refuse to pay a fee to play a single game. If it ever becomes free, I'll join the train.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I haven't played an MMO since PSU, but this game seems to be pretty awesome. I'm playing on PS3. Made a dude who walks around with his icy, crystalline chest all the way out for the haters. Nothing on but jeans, boots, gloves so he doesn't get his hands too dirty, and shades to keep the man from lookin into his eyes. The only thing more funky than his afro is his soul.

Cool Chocolate

need a camera, this dude is just too fresh

G-Fex

Killthee said:
Yes. The PS3 version doesn't use SOE's Station platform at all. Everything billing related is handled by the PS Store allowing you to use the PS Wallet/PSN Cards to pay for your subscription.

HELL YEEEEEEEES, gettin this for payday for SHO

Haunted

Nightz said:
This is only temporary. I originally created the thread in the Community section, but the mods were nice enough to move it to the Gaming side for a little bit to get it more exposure...which I think has worked quite well.
Ah, that's cool. :)

RdN said:
I really enjoyed the beta, but I refuse to pay a fee to play a single game. If it ever becomes free, I'll join the train.

Buy a lifetime sub and the game just becomes a really expensive 1 off purchase. I am really impressed with the game so far, I am tempted getting a lifetime sub just because this game oozes potential. However it really does depend on how much stuff there is todo at 30. I still got the rest of the month to test that out, if this game can amuse me for that month then I will prob get that sub. The game can only get better and is already at a very high standard.

The PvP is also Stellar. You can block, dodge, interrupt, guardbreak and each weapon/powerset is unique. All they need to do is add some sort of Diminishing returns or stun/snare immunity after breaking out of one for like 3 seconds to remove the stunlock syndrome the pvp has, and that supercharge abilities are god damn imbalanced as hell when used. I used Volcano on some poor sod 2 levels lower than me, took him from 90% to 0. Fun, but I really would like to see the meter charge faster in exchange for weaker skills.

Macattk15

So I'm grouped with a friend ... in the Gotham Bar ... can't see them. No matter how many times we both go outside and then back in ... is there a way to get in the same "instance" world or whatever?

I don't get this. How am I supposed to play with friends?

Effect

neojubei said:
i got it to work :)
Eventually got it close enough. Not really the shade I'd really like but oh well. At least the hair selection is really good. Most MMOs really disappoint here.

Hawk269

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to get the PC version of the game as well and I am here to provide some details on the differences between the 2 platforms that I have noticed.

First and formost, I don't want to make this a PC is better than PS3 type of post, it is just my opinion of playing up to level 5 on each version, switching my inputs of being in the same areas with the same type of characters and just noticing some of the differneces.

So to begin, regardless of which platform, you are getting a good game and it runs well on both the PS3 and the PC. However, if you have a sufficient PC, the game does run much better on a capable PC. Before I bought the PC version, I was impressed (and still am) with the PS3 version. Yes, it was a bit jaggy in parts, but overall I thought that it looked pretty good for an MMO type of game and it ran good.

My PC has a Nvidia GTX460 (waiting for my 580), AMD PhenomX4 955, 8 Gigs of Ram, Win64bit. I am running the game at 1080p to my 60"Sony SXRD Rear Projection. I am able to run the game at all the possible max settings..which oddly the texture setting only has normal and low, no high setting..but everything else is maxed. I turned off V-Sync since I have Nhancer running to take care of that and am forcing AAX8 via the Nvidia Control panel. I am also playing the game via the PC with a 360 Wireless Pad.

The biggest difference that I have seen is the following:

A) Resolution is much cleaner on PC vs. PS3 even though I am running both at 1080p
B) Framerate is really a big difference. Again, when I had just the PS3 version I thought that it ran smooth, but the PC Version is butter smooth.
C) Shadow detail is much improved on the PC.
D) Jaggies are almost non-existent on the PC version.

Again, this is also based on a Rig that I paid close to $1400 to have built for me...It origninally had a Nvidia GTX Super CLocked 480 with the 460 as a physx card, but EVGA has offered a step up program for free to the new 580 which i will have next week.

With all that said however, and a $1400 machine should outclass a 4 Year old $300 PS3, it is pretty impressive how the PS3 version holds up. Unless you had both side by side like I did and you never played the PC version, you would enjoy it regardless as it performs very well. It comes down to this, you don't know what you are missing if you never played the PC version on a capable machine.

The impressive thing is that the gameplay is identical with the 360 pad as it is on the PS3 which is what i was hoping for.

Again, I made this not to blast or put down the PS3 version, I just know that many here have both machines and if you have a capable machine, PC is where it is. I had a hard time finding the PC version as most stores around here did not receive many of the PC version of the game. So I am curious which version will sell better and have a stronger community...ultimately, I hope regardless that both versions will be applied the same DLC, Patches etc.

One last thing, the PC version (regular one) also included 2 DLC items that the PS3 version did not. One was a Joker item and one was a Batman item. Again, these are not the Exclusive Collectors Edition items..which I thought was weird. I dd not have to put a code in or anything, they just appeared in the shopping cart menu.

Anyways, for those with any questions on the comparison, please feel free to ask and again I hope no one takes this as bashing of one over the other. Truth be told, I am more of an Xbox player than PC/PS3...but love all my systems!

Killthee

Macattk15 said:
So I'm grouped with a friend ... in the Gotham Bar ... can't see them. No matter how many times we both go outside and then back in ... is there a way to get in the same "instance" world or whatever?

On PS3 there's a loading bug that happens sometimes where some things stop loading (characters, NPC's, kiosk, etc...). Booting into the XMB and restarting the game fixes the bug.

If you're grouped and not glitched, you should automatically be dumped into the same instance.

Macattk15

Killthee said:
On PS3 there's a loading bug that happens sometimes where some things stop loading (characters, NPC's, kiosk, etc...). Booting into the XMB and restarting the game fixes the bug.

If you're grouped and not glitched, you should automatically be dumped into the same instance.

I'm on the PC. We're grouped. Not in the same instance though. :(

Macattk15 said:

Move away from the bar. The game does not load everyone going out of them places straight away to avoid people getting stuck on each other etc.

Top Bottom