• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Liberty4all

Banned
In the space of 5 hours I:

1. Took on mutated future apes that looked like they had just left the set of planet of the apes
2. Defeated soul stealing demons and the villain controlling this vile sorcery.
3. Helped defend an overturned brinks truck from the hive's fiendish soldiers.
4. Enjoyed views of earth from a massive space station
5. Debated on the merits of powers that turn enemies into animals
6. Hung out with Flash Gordon
7. Defended Earth from a vile alien invasion.

So for those of you still on the fence ... There is ALOT to like.

Whoever is in charge of the hero Redemption league send me an invite hero name bamelin psn also bamelin

Zzoram

It's too bad Marvel and DC couldn't get together and make a Marvel vs DC Universe MMO. Then we could have all the comic stuff we love crammed into one game.

Epcott

So I'm a hero in the PvE Redemption as my character SuperMario (yellow cape and red cap too), and it takes me 2 days to complete the the first Raven mission in front of a building with the security team.

It's absolute chaos...

The villains are competing in a mission involving converted humans simultaneously, so they're running amok shooting at everything, NPC's are getting beat up, who are tied to another mission various heroes around me are competing in, the target of my mission objective is nowhere in sight, and only manifests itself rarely and randomly amidst the chaos... everything is an utter mess... and I stand there, looking around me at the mayhem...

Is the whole game like this? My friend who worked on the Bradleygames strategy guide didn't mention this (then again he was beta testing).

Epcott said:
Is the whole game like this?

No, it seems to be a special case - we had the exact same problem with that mission in the beta test, and they've yet to do anything about it. Took me 40 minutes to complete earlier today.

Really enjoying this game so far. Playing on PS3 and haven't had any real technical issues. The game actually looks surprisingly good I think, and it runs pretty smoothly.

This is my first MMO so I'm still getting my head around some of the terminology and features. Some of its quite confusing, though I can tell SOE's made efforts to make the game accessible to newcomers.

Is there a FAQ or anything available? I had to ask Wikipedia what PVP, PVE was all about. Gah, I'm such a n00b.

I imagine there are quite a lot of MMO newcomers who've taken a chance on this though.

Of course the whole game isn't like that. Those situations are fairly uncommon. I've only run into two of them, myself.

But hey, look on the bright side: at least you aren't in a PvP server. Imagine how chaotic THAT would be.

EDIT: @ below, the keypad is kind of shitty to be honest. I always had issues typing on it. Get a real keyboard for this game. The hotkeys alone are worth it.

So whats the general GAF consensus? is there a chance this will be a game will last longer than two months?

Also are alot of you guys picking up the ps3 keypad since im assuming its a must to be able to type stuff out?

Effect

The game has a LOT of atmosphere and really draws you in I feel. Not even focused on my level just completing the missions.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So whats the general GAF consensus? is there a chance this will be a game will last longer than two months? ?

I don't really know - it depends on what the end-game content is like. If all of the PVE stuff dries up once you reach level 30, then I can see myself dropping this after making a few different characters. I'm not so much into PVP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TrAcEr_x90 said:
So whats the general GAF consensus? is there a chance this will be a game will last longer than two months?

Also are alot of you guys picking up the ps3 keypad since im assuming its a must to be able to type stuff out?
Any real game has the right tools to enhance their experience. Like say, a keyboard, a mic.

Is there a league for hero or villain on the killing joke? That will be my determining factor on which faction I choose. I am such a whore. I just picked the game up :x

Epcott

Revolutionary said:
Of course the whole game isn't like that. Those situations are fairly uncommon. I've only run into two of them, myself.

But hey, look on the bright side: at least you aren't in a PvP server. Imagine how chaotic THAT would be.

EDIT: @ below, the keypad is kind of shitty to be honest. I always had issues typing on it. Get a real keyboard for this game. The hotkeys alone are worth it.

Heh, yeah, The Killing Joke is a brutal place to be, the mission would've been unplayable. It was interesting, none the less.

The small wireless keypad Sony sells that hooks to the controller is pretty worthless for this game (even worthless for Home as well), so I bought a cheep keyboard myself. I still have yet to figure out how to set up hotkeys.

Epcott said:
Heh, yeah, The Killing Joke is a brutal place to be, the mission would've been unplayable. It was interesting, none the less.

The small wireless keypad Sony sells that hooks to the controller is pretty worthless for this game (even worthless for Home as well), so I bought a cheep keyboard myself. I still have yet to figure out how to set up hotkeys.

Is killing Joke THAT bad? Everyone seems to rave about PvP but a grief fest would turn me off.

iirate

Epcott said:

It may be different on the PS3 (I'm on PC), but you can access the keybinding controls in settings. If you scroll all the way to the right, you'll see the config.

I looked in the game guide, but I couldn't find it. On The PS3 version, how do I quit the game? I just ended up turning it off on the character select screen.

Anslon said:
I looked in the game guide, but I couldn't find it. On The PS3 version, how do I quit the game? I just ended up turning it off on the character select screen.

Press the PS button then quit game.

Nightz said:
You have to be in a group with at least one other person. Then from your social console you can create the league.

Thanks!

Repgnar

Made two characters on the Zero Hour server. First one was an Ice power, hand blast hero. Played him until level 6 or so and enjoyed it. Then I made a Magic, bow weilding hero and really felt a difference in health between the two. I'm enjoying the bow weapon a lot more and think i'm going to stick with this combo. Managed to get to 10 so I could unlock the healer role and still felt like I was running out of energy(Not sure what it's called?) way too fast and couldn't keep up healing some of the people in that martian alert. I dunno if i'm using the wrong skills or the other people were just playing carelessly, looks like I may have to play similar to Diablo 2 and keep a shit load of cola on me to keep up.

WonkyPanda said:
Is killing Joke THAT bad? Everyone seems to rave about PvP but a grief fest would turn me off.

PvP is awesome, makes the missions more interesting. The killing joke isnt that bad, could someone create a heros league on the killing joke id join instantly.

I was chasing down a villian he was speed running up a building and I was flying up the skyscraper chasing him he then jumps of the building I use my pull in abilty to pull him back onto the top of the skyscraper and do what heros do best. Thats why PvP is awesome. PvE servers are really boring to me now. If your worried about missions being interupted theres usually an abundance of people doing the missions to help you out if trouble arrives.

Kintaco

Does anyone have a Guest Pass or Buddy Pass they wouldn't mind giving up? I'm on the fence with this game and also curious of my computer can play it somewhat decently. Thanks.

d0c_zaius

Outtrigger888 said:
PvP is awesome, makes the missions more interesting. The killing joke isnt that bad, could someone create a heros league on the killing joke id join instantly.

I was chasing down a villian he was speed running up a building and I was flying up the skyscraper chasing him he then jumps of the building I use my pull in abilty to pull him back onto the top of the skyscraper and do what heros do best. Thats why PvP is awesome. PvE servers are really boring to me now. If your worried about missions being interupted theres usually an abundance of people doing the missions to help you out if trouble arrives.

well it WAS that bad for me yesterday evening on KJ. level 30 heroes griefing starting locations, known quest checkpoints, and everywhere in between (this was SOE's plan?!?). Even with stealth moving from one location to the next without dieing was a joke, and good LUCK if you pick acrobatics as your transport power as you'll get owned by flyers especially. It got really frustrating and almost unplayable for a while last night.

But I still like the game heh.....maybe not as much. Would it have killed them to give some minor structure/focus/payoff to the world PvP?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Epcott said:
So I'm a hero in the PvE Redemption as my character SuperMario (yellow cape and red cap too), and it takes me 2 days to complete the the first Raven mission in front of a building with the security team.

It's absolute chaos...

The villains are competing in a mission involving converted humans simultaneously, so they're running amok shooting at everything, NPC's are getting beat up, who are tied to another mission various heroes around me are competing in, the target of my mission objective is nowhere in sight, and only manifests itself rarely and randomly amidst the chaos... everything is an utter mess... and I stand there, looking around me at the mayhem...

Is the whole game like this? My friend who worked on the Bradleygames strategy guide didn't mention this (then again he was beta testing).
That mission is one of the worst if the not the worst. They really should have increased the amount of SP Medics and Vortexes after all the beta complaints. Most of the game isn't as bad as that mission.

WonkyPanda said:
It's not that bad, but it does get frustrating when gankers group up and grief low level players. Give it a try, shout for help if you get ganked, and if you get frustrated either go to another area or create a second character in a PvE server.

iirate said:
It may be different on the PS3 (I'm on PC), but you can access the keybinding controls in settings. If you scroll all the way to the right, you'll see the config.
You can't modify them in the PS3 version.
Dmorr07 said:
Made two characters on the Zero Hour server. First one was an Ice power, hand blast hero. Played him until level 6 or so and enjoyed it. Then I made a Magic, bow weilding hero and really felt a difference in health between the two. I'm enjoying the bow weapon a lot more and think i'm going to stick with this combo. Managed to get to 10 so I could unlock the healer role and still felt like I was running out of energy(Not sure what it's called?) way too fast and couldn't keep up healing some of the people in that martian alert. I dunno if i'm using the wrong skills or the other people were just playing carelessly, looks like I may have to play similar to Diablo 2 and keep a shit load of cola on me to keep up.
Those low levels are tough for Healers, but it sounds like you were playing correctly and your team mates let you down. Controller's have powers that help regen team mates Power bar. If you don't have a Controller during those first Healer levels, you can run out of Power very quickly.

Also don't focus so much on the cola, focus on your combo meter. You regen Power faster the higher your combo meter is. Try to spend your Skill points into your weapon combo's so it's easier to raise the meter.

JWong said:
I know it's ridiculous to compare PC to console, but does PS3 hold up to somewhat high quality PC settings?
I would say no. I'm not saying the PS3 version looks bad, but there is a noticeably difference graphics wise. From my experience playing the beta PC version, even in low settings, everything just looked much cleaner in the PC version because of the higher resolution output.

If you have the option on which one to get and if you know no one getting the PS3 version, stick with the PC version.

IonicSnake said:
Can you play the PS3 version without the disc after installing it? And how much have it improved over the PS+ beta?
No.

Much more stable compared to beta 1.0; more polished than beta 1.05.

IonicSnake said:
Can you play the PS3 version without the disc after installing it? And how much have it improved over the PS+ beta?
I don't know any PS3 game that allows this. I also believe someone said No to this earlier in the thread.

If any americans want the code for the catwoman claws on PS3 let me know, apparently they are doing a separate promotion for european users so they can get the items.

Also saw something mentioned that there will be a code included with a DCUO comic?

hermit7

Outtrigger888 said:

I'll do it if someone wants to meet up in game. Add me on PSN hermit_07

Level 27 right now. I completely owned like 4 people that were all level 25. They tried to gank me but I was able to fight them all off and KO them.

BattleMonkey said:
Is there any point to pvp? Rewards or such?

I beleive you get PVP points which you can then spend to get some very powerful weapons and armor, if you want to have a look at them Black Adam sells them at the Hall of Doom, not sure who sells the stuff for heroes, think its Hawkman at the JLA watchtower.

Hawk269

mileS said:
Got up to level 7 and finished the mission with Scarecrow and Batwoman (hero side). Damn that was a cool quest and the ending animation bit was really good. Like others have said earlier in the thread I'm getting some good Crackdown vibes from this game. Acrobatics has a lot to do with that so I'm excited to see how much that upgrades down the line.

Look forward to playing more this weekend. Not sure if theres a GAF league on the Hero side for the Zero Hour server yet but if there is let me know.

Very true on the Crackdown comparisons. I have the same feelings as you do with this game and how it is very much like Crackdown (1) moreso. MS should fund a Crackdown MMO for the 360.

FredFish

kyo_daikun said:
If any americans want the code for the catwoman claws on PS3 let me know, apparently they are doing a separate promotion for european users so they can get the items.

Also saw something mentioned that there will be a code included with a DCUO comic?

I'll take the claws if they haven't been claimed yet :D

shock33

The chat system in this is utterly utterly wretched, I'm honestly amazed that it's actually possible to make it this bad.

Rest of the game seems ok so far, but man the chat......oh boy....

Prodigal

Banned
Just made another toon...villian with fire+bow and flying. Definitely digging the atmosphere of Metropolis compared to Gotham, but I'm probably in the minority. If there's a GAF league on Zero Hour villain-side, lemme know so I can get in!

Hawk269

JWong said:
I know it's ridiculous to compare PC to console, but does PS3 hold up to somewhat high quality PC settings?

I posted a comparison I did for both versions of the game (I have both) and in short, if you have a good PC, then YES, it is definately better. I played around a bit more with moth versions last night and the smoothness of the PC version is what makes it really stand out. Level 7 with characters on each version and the PS3 version seems sluggish compared to the PC version. To me, it is very noticeable and cannot recommend the PC version enough....that is unless you have alot of friends on the PS3 version that you cant to game with as it is still very solid on the PS3.

Here is the comparison post I made:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to get the PC version of the game as well and I am here to provide some details on the differences between the 2 platforms that I have noticed.

First and formost, I don't want to make this a PC is better than PS3 type of post, it is just my opinion of playing up to level 5 on each version, switching my inputs of being in the same areas with the same type of characters and just noticing some of the differneces.

So to begin, regardless of which platform, you are getting a good game and it runs well on both the PS3 and the PC. However, if you have a sufficient PC, the game does run much better on a capable PC. Before I bought the PC version, I was impressed (and still am) with the PS3 version. Yes, it was a bit jaggy in parts, but overall I thought that it looked pretty good for an MMO type of game and it ran good.

My PC has a Nvidia GTX460 (waiting for my 580), AMD PhenomX4 955, 8 Gigs of Ram, Win64bit. I am running the game at 1080p to my 60"Sony SXRD Rear Projection. I am able to run the game at all the possible max settings..which oddly the texture setting only has normal and low, no high setting..but everything else is maxed. I turned off V-Sync since I have Nhancer running to take care of that and am forcing AAX8 via the Nvidia Control panel. I am also playing the game via the PC with a 360 Wireless Pad.

The biggest difference that I have seen is the following:

A) Resolution is much cleaner on PC vs. PS3 even though I am running both at 1080p
B) Framerate is really a big difference. Again, when I had just the PS3 version I thought that it ran smooth, but the PC Version is butter smooth.
C) Shadow detail is much improved on the PC.
D) Jaggies are almost non-existent on the PC version.

Again, this is also based on a Rig that I paid close to $1400 to have built for me...It origninally had a Nvidia GTX Super CLocked 480 with the 460 as a physx card, but EVGA has offered a step up program for free to the new 580 which i will have next week.

With all that said however, and a $1400 machine should outclass a 4 Year old $300 PS3, it is pretty impressive how the PS3 version holds up. Unless you had both side by side like I did and you never played the PC version, you would enjoy it regardless as it performs very well. It comes down to this, you don't know what you are missing if you never played the PC version on a capable machine.

The impressive thing is that the gameplay is identical with the 360 pad as it is on the PS3 which is what i was hoping for.

Again, I made this not to blast or put down the PS3 version, I just know that many here have both machines and if you have a capable machine, PC is where it is. I had a hard time finding the PC version as most stores around here did not receive many of the PC version of the game. So I am curious which version will sell better and have a stronger community...ultimately, I hope regardless that both versions will be applied the same DLC, Patches etc.

One last thing, the PC version (regular one) also included 2 DLC items that the PS3 version did not. One was a Joker item and one was a Batman item. Again, these are not the Exclusive Collectors Edition items..which I thought was weird. I dd not have to put a code in or anything, they just appeared in the shopping cart menu.

Anyways, for those with any questions on the comparison, please feel free to ask and again I hope no one takes this as bashing of one over the other. Truth be told, I am more of an Xbox player than PC/PS3...but love all my systems!

Prodigal

Banned
Hawk, when you're forcing AA, do you use dcgame.exe as the profile to modify? The one in steamapps/common/dc universe online/unreal3/binaries/win32. I tried that and it didn't seem to change anything.

Hawk269

Prodigal said:
Hawk, when you're forcing AA, do you use dcgame.exe as the profile to modify? The one in steamapps/common/dc universe online/unreal3/binaries/win32. I tried that and it didn't seem to change anything.

Yes, I did use that. I dont have the steam version, store bought and I use the dcgame.exe. I tell you what though, it does not change it very much. I do notice a difference, it just seems that the game is doing something to limit it.

Killthee

Mercury Fred said:
Any heroes on Redemption want to fight the Trigon-possessed Titans with me? I tried it solo earlier and got spanked!!
Sure. I'm online right now if you want to jump on.

WonkyPanda said:
I am on Killing Joke. Name is Green Swift. I am on the hero side. Wouldn't mind a few buddies to get on the ropes with.

Ill add you next time i log in

Or just add me in the chat menu under friends. Character name is Enceladus

Killthee

For anyone that might have missed my post last night, free trinkets for jumping through a couple of hoops.

20110115-pgfpmrfkiym9t4a3s5b92h3tak.jpg

Is there any form of a trial available? I tried it during beta and I couldn't really get myself through it due to performance issues, so I'm wondering if anything changed substantially.

Top Bottom