• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Effect said:
Eventually got it close enough. Not really the shade I'd really like but oh well. At least the hair selection is really good. Most MMOs really disappoint here.

i just went bald.

Macattk15

ChronicleX said:
Move away from the bar. The game does not load everyone going out of them places straight away to avoid people getting stuck on each other etc.

I'm in the Shipyard. No sign of them and they are also in the shipyard .... guess I'll restart the game.

So, I am inches away from buying this tomorrow. I am just torn between Killing Joke and Redemption server. Which server seems to have the better community/shorter queue times for alerts and/or pvp?

Nightz

Well that repair that Steam did didn't solve my problems and I'm getting no support from the forums. Looks like I'll be picking up a PS3 version tomorrow.

Nightz said:
Well that repair that Steam did didn't solve my problems and I'm getting no support from the forums. Looks like I'll be picking up a PS3 version tomorrow.

whats the problem? If its gamepad related send me a PM.

Edit - Ah I see. Lauching the game Via Steam does not work ATM. Goto your steam folder and launch the lauchpad.exe outside of steam, and the game will work. Thats what I do.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Interesting interview over at Eurogamer. Looks like PSN/Station is the reason they removed cross platform support and even more interesting, PC patches will be withheld until the PS3 patches go through SCEA/SCEE QA.

Eurogamer: To clarify: is DC Universe cross-platform - can PC gamers play with PS3 gamers?

John Smedley:
Technically speaking it is. However, the servers are separated, and largely they're separated for business reasons. Practically speaking, on the PC, you have to have a Station Account. On the PlayStation 3 you have to have a PSN account. Things are separated mainly for those reasons. Actually, up until very recently, internally, everybody was playing on one sever together and it's actually quite fun.

It sucks that they were forced to use PSN on the PS3 version. Frankly, I would bend over for Station if it meant cross platform support : /

Eurogamer: Will there be any discrepancies between the updates on PC and PS3?

John Smedley: Largely we're going to try and keep them the same. There's some physical, practical differences in timing of release - maybe a day or two separating them. But they should be the same.

In the case of the PlayStation 3, as I said before, we don't just get to put things up - they actually have to go through the format QA team and SCEA and SCEE. That means that will take a little big longer. But what we'll do is hold the PC version until then.

Nightz

ChronicleX said:
whats the problem? If its gamepad related send me a PM.

Edit - Ah I see. Lauching the game Via Steam does not work ATM. Goto your steam folder and launch the lauchpad.exe outside of steam, and the game will work. Thats what I do.
Launchpad works fine and the game loads up. It just gets stuck on the Connecting screen at "Waiting for Character List". Apparently it crashes at this point because if I Alt+Tab out, there's a Crash Report window.

Nightz said:
Launchpad works fine and the game loads up. It just gets stuck on the Connecting screen at "Waiting for Character List". Apparently it crashes at this point because if I Alt+Tab out, there's a Crash Report window.

If you were missing 5gb of data then that is the reason it was crashing. Otherwise what is your OS Etc and maybe I can assist.

Nightz

That data wasn't really missing though. It was there but got corrupted somehow. =\ Using Windows 7 64, all drivers up to date. It was literally a span of 3 hours from when it was working and when it started crapping out.

Edit: I give up...going to bed. Wasted the day trying to sort it out.

WonkyPanda said:
So, I am inches away from buying this tomorrow. I am just torn between Killing Joke and Redemption server. Which server seems to have the better community/shorter queue times for alerts and/or pvp?

I say go PvP theres usually enough people around missions where you can still solo and not be bothered to much, if anything I say it adds to the missions as in more people seem to be teaming up, because of the possibility of a crappy looka like dropping in and trying to mess up your mission. I hope they add random hero/villian spawning in certain areas, would love to run into the joker in the alleys of gothem.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
neojubei said:
RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone had a Batman Beyond Hoodie! Frack me that vault does not get me anything at all, everything i get from there i already have.
There's Batman Beyond stuff in the game? Any other DCAU stuff in the game?

Macattk15 said:
So I'm grouped with a friend ... in the Gotham Bar ... can't see them. No matter how many times we both go outside and then back in ... is there a way to get in the same "instance" world or whatever?

I don't get this. How am I supposed to play with friends?

From my experience, play a different game.

Kintaco

All the positive posts really makes me want to check this game out. Does the PC have guest passes or anything to demo the game?

YAY Finally got my 360 pad to work without having to use Xpadder. My Damn keyboard was messing with its acceptance it seems. GAH. At least everything controls alot better now, going to have to see if I can change some of the keybinds though.

Metiphis

Name: Brass Tax
Allignment: Villain
Back Story: Once an IRS Agent, he was driven mad by the infusion of his new powers.
Catch Phrase: IT ALWAYS COMES DOWN TO BRASS TAX!

dr3sye.jpg

Axiom

quizplain.jpg

Finally got what started as my plucky teen sidekick variation in beta up to 30. Now I have no idea what to do.

I probably shouldn't have made my first character a tank.

valeo

This MMO is good for everything except what sets most MMO's apart from single player games - the grouping and teamwork involved. It's impossible to do anything in a group without something fucking up in this silly game.

iirate

Am I the only one that is having trouble resisting making extremely ridiculous characters instead of honest heroes/villains? My very first character was original, but since then, every time I sit down to make something else original, I get the idea for a completely stupid character and make that instead. So far, my friend and I have made emo Tobey Maguire (of Spiderman 3 fame), Hercules from Cheetahmen, Zombie Bob Ross and Adrian Brody (complete with starfish/floating ufo).

I just can't take this game seriously enough. It's all such stupid and easy fun (at least so far), that most of my enjoyment has come from playing these terrible characters. Obviously things like this completely ruin atmosphere, and maybe the novelty will dry out soon enough, but just dicking around in the char generator so far has made this game.

valeo

This game will be good for a month or two of fun but there is no doubt the interest will severely die off by then. It's just too limited and the console version has hamstrung them a bit.

icechai

ok, so among the illusion abilities, what is the point of disguise (you get 3, disguise, civilian, scientist). Civilian and Scientist are awesome as I've faked being one of those walking around the block when I was escaping being chased by a villain, but not sure what that 3rd disguise ability does.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just added my info to the PS3 database. I'm not sure how I feel about this game right now, it feels like you're standard MMO, which is disappointing, because I wish someone would try something new with the genre. I guess it's nice to finally have another console MMO since FFXI though.

Is there a guild or whatever they call it in this game for gaf on redemption server? Currently I'm on the villians side as a damage dealing character called Robo Schoolgirl, which looks exactly like you'd expect lol.

If there's a gaf guild though, I'd like to join, since I don't know anyone else playing this.

Prodigal said:
Do we have a League set up on Death and Glory (hero side)? If so, who should I message to join?

No we don't yet but on the previous page I asked if anyone wanted to get one started and if anyone had any name ideas.

The Facebook App only gives codes for american accounts, shock horror.... going to put in another ticket about that as I want my frigging Catwoman claws.

neojubei said:
Wonder if darkseid is in the game

Im sure i've heard him mentioned in multiple Dev videos so he's more than likely going to be in.

I played up to level 5 on Redemption the other night and now I kind of want to see the game played on a less populated server. It's cool to have heroes everywhere I go, but I don't like the kill stealing feeling I get when I'm trying to complete a quest.

Do you think starting anew on a less populated server will hurt me in the long run?

Anslon said:
I played up to level 5 on Redemption the other night and now I kind of want to see the game played on a less populated server. It's cool to have heroes everywhere I go, but I don't like the kill stealing feeling I get when I'm trying to complete a quest.

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but kills and mission objectives are often shared. Maybe it's damage or targeting that triggers it, but I've had people "steal" kills and objects from me that I needed, but my mission counter still goes up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
valeo said:
This game will be good for a month or two of fun but there is no doubt the interest will severely die off by then. It's just too limited and the console version has hamstrung them a bit.
If you say so.

Lol, I just went through the Vault and got absolutely NOTHING, then on the final present box I got a 'Toy Robot' trinket that you 'use to disguise yourself as a sinister toy robot' - this thing is freaky;

IMAG0165.jpg

lastplayed said:
I'm not sure how it works exactly, but kills and mission objectives are often shared. Maybe it's damage or targeting that triggers it, but I've had people "steal" kills and objects from me that I needed, but my mission counter still goes up.
I've experienced that as well, but I guess it just boils down to the feel of the game. Brainiac's ship was awesome because it was just me up there.

Carl

Bootaaay said:
Lol, I just went through the Vault and got absolutely NOTHING, then on the final present box I got a 'Toy Robot' trinket that you 'use to disguise yourself as a sinister toy robot' - this thing is freaky;

IMAG0165.jpg

Haha wow, that thing is scary. I got sod all on my first vault visit.

BTW I hope that they let DC's main writers add tons of content for DCUO. It's their chance not to be bogged down by the current continuity, and let them just have fun. I'd even like to see a Grant Morison quest line, although it'd probably play similar to watching Momento.

Aske

As a staunch single-player, should I buy this for the enticing gameplay or skip it because it's a necessarily social experience? I have zero interest in typical MMOs, but most of them seem to be focused on forming clans and interacting with other players. That doesn't seem so much the case for DCU:O, which appears to be more like playing Infamous in a huge gamespace that just happens to be shared by others.

I want to create a character, explore the game world, and go through each of the six mentors' mission paths. Can I choose to do this without paying attention to whoever else happens to be playing on the server, or is interaction with other players an essential component of the game?

Nightz

Aske said:
As a staunch single-player, should I buy this for the enticing gameplay or skip it because it's a necessarily social experience? I have zero interest in typical MMOs, but most of them seem to be focused on forming clans and interacting with other players. That doesn't seem so much the case for DCU:O, which appears to be more like playing Infamous in a huge gamespace that just happens to be shared by others.

I want to create a character, explore the game world, and go through each of the six mentors' mission paths. Can I choose to do this without paying attention to whoever else happens to be playing on the server, or is interaction with other players an essential component of the game?
You can definitely solo the main storylines.

Effect

Made my character last night. Submitted it in the submission form but I'll say it again here. Hero mentored by Superman named Daornthir. (that's a "r n t" in the name. Not a m.)

neojubei

Bootaaay said:

IMAG0165.jpg

This is what i am talking about. As much as I put into this game I am do not get back in return. ALL MY VAULT VISITS are in vain since i just get the same stuff i already have and add insult to injury whenever I do a group mission or an area mission i receive hardly any pickups and if i do i cannot use them since they are for controller type or tank type and I am so fed up with this game.

Cannot believe every vault visit has been crap, very time.

mileS

Got up to level 7 and finished the mission with Scarecrow and Batwoman (hero side). Damn that was a cool quest and the ending animation bit was really good. Like others have said earlier in the thread I'm getting some good Crackdown vibes from this game. Acrobatics has a lot to do with that so I'm excited to see how much that upgrades down the line.

Look forward to playing more this weekend. Not sure if theres a GAF league on the Hero side for the Zero Hour server yet but if there is let me know.

Anslon said:

Do you think starting anew on a less populated server will hurt me in the long run?

Everyone gets credit. There is no kill-stealing.

Outtrigger888 said:
I hope they add random hero/villian spawning in certain areas, would love to run into the joker in the alleys of gothem.
That's actually already in. My friend told me that he saw Batman once, who proceeded to stun him then glide away. :lol
We also ran into Croc in an alleyway yesterday, but he disappeared because the server was taking a crap, I think (he wasnt completely loaded - silhouette).

Bootaaay said:

IMAG0165.jpg

Lol thats awesome, the only interesting thing i've got from the vault so far is the lobo hoodie.

Axiom

Revolutionary said:
That's actually already in. My friend told me that he saw Batman once, who proceeded to stun him then glide away. :lol
We also ran into Croc in an alleyway yesterday, but he disappeared because the server was taking a crap, I think (he wasnt completely loaded - silhouette).
I spotted Superman once on top of a building. He was having trouble flying because he couldn't say 'Up, up and away!' correctly, then he spat it out and zooooomed off into the sky. Was fun

neojubei

Now this game is trolling me, I'm currently doing a mission and the side missions are giving me the same items i already have. what the heck

With the teleport devices to safehouses, do you only get 3 uses out of them? It says 1/3 when you hover over it but doesn't explain what it means.

Has anyone tried out the dual pistols yet? I'm thinking of doing a dual pistol, ice based, super speed character. I tried out the archery but the animation just wasn't cool enough.

ferr

mileS said:
Got up to level 7 and finished the mission with Scarecrow and Batwoman (hero side). Damn that was a cool quest and the ending animation bit was really good. Like others have said earlier in the thread I'm getting some good Crackdown vibes from this game. Acrobatics has a lot to do with that so I'm excited to see how much that upgrades down the line.

Look forward to playing more this weekend. Not sure if theres a GAF league on the Hero side for the Zero Hour server yet but if there is let me know.

There is, /tell Crimson for an invite

daebo

Hmm, just got my first crash :(

Edit: Hmm, not it won't even let me log on. Are servers down or am I experiencing what others are?

jogarrr

Anslon said:
Has anyone tried out the dual pistols yet? I'm thinking of doing a dual pistol, ice based, super speed character. I tried out the archery but the animation just wasn't cool enough.

Dual Pistols is one of my favorites. It's got a great spammable combo building attack in Jump Shot and a good juggle attack in Loft Shot. Magnum shot is pretty good damage too. It's fast and diving and jumping around makes you feel like a badass.

Also, it's not listed in the combo list but you can follow a slip shot with a jump shot and finish with magnum shot with this combo:

tap ranged, hold ranged (slip shot)
hold melee (jump shot)
hold ranged (magnum shot)

Top Bottom