• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Hawk269

SuperAwesome said:
Is there any form of a trial available? I tried it during beta and I couldn't really get myself through it due to performance issues, so I'm wondering if anything changed substantially.

Not as of today, there is no demo. On the PC you do get a buddy key, you need the disks to install and the code and it will be free to play for 10 days. Outside of that, no other way to try it out.

Weenerz

Banned
Killthee said:
For anyone that might have missed my post last night, free trinkets for jumping through a couple of hoops.

20110115-pgfpmrfkiym9t4a3s5b92h3tak.jpg

Thanks.

hermit7

2saFZ.png

Here is my hero Glacio. Pretty happy with his he looks and I haven't seen anyone resembling his look.

Image quality is a bit lacking, and the picture is from my phone.

I don't even recall choosing a movement power. Maybe I missed something.

Also, it's very easy to doorway grief in this game. What the fuck were the designers thinking?

Prodigal

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
I don't even recall choosing a movement power. Maybe I missed something.

Also, it's very easy to doorway grief in this game. What the fuck were the designers thinking?

By movement power I meant the 3: flying, acrobatic and super speed

Also is there quite a bit of a delay on the codes for the facebook pic thing?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Prodigal said:
By movement power I meant the 3: flying, acrobatic and super speed

Also is there quite a bit of a delay on the codes for the facebook pic thing?
Was instant for me. Try a different browser if you have one.

Grisby

So...I love the idea of console MMO's and have been looking into picking this up when I get a replacement PS3. Couple questions though as I know next to nothing on this game.

1) Does it run fine on the PS3? Ok framerate? (outside of netcode, lag, ect.)
2) What am I looking at for install size and first time patch downloading?
3) Lot of areas to explore and such?

I watched the quicklook on Giantbomb and it did look good and the last serious MMO I was playing was WOW. Anyways, thanks a lot guys for the answers, :3

CaLe

Just got the lifetime subscription. I don't see the game losing in popularity if they keep adding content and improving it, they have something unique going on.

Repgnar

I got question. I'm 13 at the moment and Batman is my mentor. I'm having difficulty finding quests, am I suppose to go to a different city now or do I need to be 14 to unlock the next questline?

yencid said:
DC Universe Online Becomes Legendary (comic based on the game)

Would be sooooo cool if they featured super hero cameos from the game. Created heroes that is.

What I think is the most exciting thing is that, if everything is working as well as we hope once we get down the line, characters that players create actually have an opportunity to work their way from the game into the comics themselves.

Yay! Sparrowhawk may hit the bigtime yet!

So no one seems to be jumping on the idea of making a league on the PC PvP Death & Glory server (heroes side). Is anyone down for this? The only name I can come up with (after 2 minutes of thought) is the GAFengers. Too lame? I pray someone can top it.

Prodigal

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
So no one seems to be jumping on the idea of making a league on the PC PvP Death & Glory server (heroes side). Is anyone down for this? The only name I can come up with (after 2 minutes of thought) is the GAFengers. Too lame? I pray someone can top it.

Not the worst name in the world...something like <GAF> could possibly work too. What's your name in game?

d0c_zaius

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Just jumped onto the Killing Joke PS3 server as a Villain today. Who else is on there?

Name is Cerebus.

I am, characters are Nemesis (controller) and Xod(tank).

I'm trying to make a Legion on KJ but my friends are too lazy

Dreavus

MisterAnderson said:

How about making GAF into a heroic acronym? Like the "Gentlemanly Assembly of Fighters or something like that. (Not playing the game just browsing the thread, lol)

Killthee

Grisby said:
So...I love the idea of console MMO's and have been looking into picking this up when I get a replacement PS3. Couple questions though as I know next to nothing on this game.

1) Does it run fine on the PS3? Ok framerate? (outside of netcode, lag, ect.)
2) What am I looking at for install size and first time patch downloading?
3) Lot of areas to explore and such?

I watched the quicklook on Giantbomb and it did look good and the last serious MMO I was playing was WOW. Anyways, thanks a lot guys for the answers, :3

1.) It's okay. It's not rock solid, but it's adequate and you should be able to enjoy it if it's your only option. The frame rate does dip when things get super hectic, pop in does appear if you speed through the overworld, the menu system is a bit sluggish, and a bunch of other small little technical bugs that hopefully they'll be able to fix via patches. Even with all the technical issues on the PS3 the game is still very fun to play, but if your PC can run it and you're friends aren't playing it on the PS3 then I'd get the PC version.

2.) 2 135MB Title Updates, followed by a 40 minute 11GB disc install, followed by a ~2.2GB patch download.

3.) 2 huge overworlds (Gotham & Metropolis) filled with all the DC Universe locations you would expect, 2 HQ's (Watchtower & Hall of Doom), and a bunch of unique instances like Smallvile, H.I.V.E.'s Moon Base, Area 51, Oolong Island, etc...

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Just jumped onto the Killing Joke PS3 server as a Villain today. Who else is on there?

Name is Cerebus.
My main villain is on KJ, character name is Enchantress. Add me and send me an invite if you ever need help.

Epcott

WonkyPanda said:
Is killing Joke THAT bad? Everyone seems to rave about PvP but a grief fest would turn me off.

Killing Joke isn't bad at all, but if you happen to be in an area with the opposite faction, you better be ready to either run or fight... but that randomness is also pretty fun.

BTW, I couldn't find hotkey settings (PS3 version) in settings, which sucks.
Chat and text really is clunky, and could potentially have you killed in battle :D
The menu can also be a pain in the arse.

Another thing is the Duties...
I went to Legends PVP for Arkham 4 on 4, and have been queued indefinitely... in other words, though it says there's no wait or you have a 2min wait, yet after time goes by there is never an announcement telling me to join the game. Weird. Once I was actually able to play Arena PVP (Australia 8 vs 8), but the objective was not very descriptive. I won by sheer luck :D

Besides those gripes, it's a pretty addictive game.

Logging on and off to keep voice chat going is like a game within the game! ;(

Besides that and the broken keyboard mess (and that bs Avatar of Sin taking forever to spawn) this is so fun, even getting my face kicked in on pvp. I unlocked Huntress now I have to save up for Nightwing.

icechai

Prodigal said:
Not the worst name in the world...something like <GAF> could possibly work too. What's your name in game?

I'm Klash and Andromachus. Although it seems there's a TON more villains today. could barely complete quests, lots of activate something and run around a building super speed or kill someone and run away, and come back. kinda fun though :p

Last night it seemed to me that the longer I played the buggier it got. (PS3 version)

It got to a point in the police station where everyone was just gray silhouettes. Menus would not update correctly.

Then a restart fixed it all.

Another odd thing I've seen is during character creation, when picking a hair style once I get to the afros, it stops updating visually for a bit, until I get 5-6 selections down the list, and it resolves itself. I can recreate this one.

Got to bug report these.

Raoh

Any word on being able to take screenshots on the ps3?

Sony mentioned this feature a long time ago and yet no game i know of has this..

krypt0nian said:
Last night it seemed to me that the longer I played the buggier it got. (PS3 version)

It got to a point in the police station where everyone was just gray silhouettes. Menus would not update correctly.

Then a restart fixed it all.

Another odd thing I've seen is during character creation, when picking a hair style once I get to the afros, it stops updating visually for a bit, until I get 5-6 selections down the list, and it resolves itself. I can recreate this one.

Got to bug report these.

when it repeats with the hair styles it also shows the hair style with facial hair. thats why it repeats.

Effect

They do need to redo the mission journal. At least being able to sort missions by location. Also randomly getting missions from Gotham when you are based out of Metropolis is a bit annoying. Would like to sort that one out.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think i messed up the Aquaman mission. some guy came in to help me so after the mission was done i forgot to close it out in my menu screen to get the experience points and i was helping him with some missions and now i go back in the menu and it is gone. So i am unsure if i received the full experience points or not. i think i might not play this game anymore after 30 days

AmericanNinja said:
when it repeats with the hair styles it also shows the hair style with facial hair. thats why it repeats.

Ah yeah. There we go.

Damn I am LOVING this game. So good to be done with my WoW battered wife syndrome.

Jas

I keep getting Wanted missions I already did. I just beat Clayface, went back to the police station and talk to the officer, get mp XP, go to the Wanted poster to see what's next and it's...Clayface. I've had old Wanted missions pop up again like Full House too.

ferr said:
Just did the Isis questline.. game is starting to remind me of Diablo 2 in a very good way.

Just finished the Isis storyline too, that was fun :)

gotta say im really addicted to this game, I grouped up with low level characters and just helped them out for a couple hours pretecting them from evil. The combat in this game is amazing for a mmo. I love how cars and other objects get lifted in the air while using certain powers, it really adds to the experience. I wish enemies in the indoor missions like jokers fun house would level up with you so you could go back and replay and have a challege or atleast add the option.

Is there anyway to log back into the game after being disconnected for being idol to long. It just brings you to a menu that says sign back into your psn account and you have to exit all the way back to the main XMB.

Nightz

Yeah I think I'm done with the PC version. Tech support directed me to my ISP. ISP blamed it on the router. Direct connected and the issue is still there. Now I can't even access my service ticket on the website to tell them that their solution failed miserably. I'll be picking up the PS3 version tomorrow.

Nightz said:
Yeah I think I'm done with the PC version. Tech support directed me to my ISP. ISP blamed it on the router. Direct connected and the issue is still there. Now I can't even access my service ticket on the website to tell them that their solution failed miserably. I'll be picking up the PS3 version tomorrow.

Redemption if you're going PVE.

I think I'm rolling a PVP chara to try it out on Killing Joke as well.

could someone help me out please? im in the watchtower and it says to use the console in the central hub but i cant get into the section of the building to get to the console. when i try to use the teleporter i get no option to use it. :-(

Killthee

AmericanNinja said:
could someone help me out please? im in the watchtower and it says to use the console in the central hub but i cant get into the section of the building to get to the console. when i try to use the teleporter i get no option to use it. :-(
Is there's a wall/door blocking your path. I've gotten that in the PS3 version, walking away from it and coming back to it later did it for me. Restarting the game might also help.

AmericanNinja said:

Had this before, just log the character out and back in and you should be good to go, if not then it is probably something broken (during beta I and a load of other villains were stuck in the hall of doom as all the teleporters broke and all the doors stopped working!)

Epcott

Area 51 Alert finally worked, so I tried the level. Made it to Prime Servitor. Since everyone kept dying, his health and attack rotation kept starting over again. I couldn't beat it :(

AmericanNinja said:

I've gotten this too. Thought I was going crazy, but I finally realized (at least I think) the console is in the room where Superman is talking... and it's not accessible for some reason. For a moment I thought you'd need higher stats to get in, but you guys are saying it might be a glitch?

Edit Re-Edit:
I found the console it's not in there at all (at least the console you need to find in the Watchtower tour). It's under it, found it by accident.

thanks guys. im gonna try that now. I had the same problem in the beta too. whats weird is someone invited me into their group when they were in the hub I could use the portal but they kicked me out of the group before i could use it lol If this doesnt work could someone on the redemption server invite me to their group and go to the console in the central hub? lol

Top Bottom