• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Cmagus

Dr. Pangloss said:
Man this download takes forever. 3 gigs to go for a total of almost 14. Can't wait to terrorize the populace on Zero Hour.

hehe Ive been at it for almost 4 hours now on steam just hitting 48% gonna need to let this bad boy run over night

Effect

Randy said:
Turn off V-Sync.

This. Provides a very noticeable difference.

Don't like the Illusion powers. The Telekinetic ones are fine however. Something tells me I should have stuck with Ice or Fire but not going to be restarting again. Ugh.

Is it usually best to do all missions that become available to you even if it takes you to Gotham? Or just grind a bit until you get another mission from your mentor?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, the other day one of my friends was having mic issues while the 3 of 4 party were working fine. Tonight, after either some maintenance or something, our mics didn't work. They have been working since we picked up the game and now some kind of update on SOE's end has caused the mics not to work. We know how you have to turn it on before booting up the game so it's not that. Enjoying the game greatly otherwise.

Use D3Doverrider to get 60FPS vsync. Can anyone who has tried the Batarang Triple Shot iconic power chime in and tell me if it is any good or if it sucks?

I have never figured out how to get D3D working. Does it have problems with ATI cards?

Also what is the GAF league on Death and Glory?

Hoping to play some today and actually group up! :)

Epcott

Nightz said:
No it's not that complicated. I agree that the instructions don't do a very good job of explaining this stuff. All you need to do is go to the Social window, select Friends from the dropdown, fill out the text box with your friend's in-game name, and hit the + icon. This can be done whether or not they are online. The next time you access this list, you will see a list of all the friends you added and if they are online or not.

Oh really? Sweet! I'll need to do this in the morning.

How do you get teammates to join you on inside/dungeon missions (for instance like the one where you fight Giganta or Brother Blood and infiltrate facilities)?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Epcott said:
Oh really? Sweet! I'll need to do this in the morning.

How do you get teammates to join you on inside/dungeon missions (for instance like the one where you fight Giganta or Brother Blood and infiltrate facilities)?
You'll be sent to the same instance (dungeon) if you group up (/invite name). If they're behind you on their quest line and don't have access to the instance yet, you must enter the instance first for the portal to appear in their game.

I am having a lot of fun with this MMO so far. My only complaint (and its a minor one admittedly). Is that there is option to choose a receives power from object like a hammer or a ring. I was bummed when I couldn't make a Green Lantern analogue. But other than that the games been great.

Got a lot of play time in with this today and wow is it a good time. Haven't even bothered to try grouping up as of yet. The mashy, braindead combat is just too fun on its own to worry about that yet.

Anyone else found the race missions to be aggravating? Even the second race mission outside the police station in Gotham was pissing me off because even on a good run, the game would freeze up in lag for 3-4 seconds and they don't bother crediting that time to you. Frustrating.

Well, off to bed. I am going to be thinking about this stupid game all day at work tomorrow.

hermit7

Just ran a hard instance, and god was it difficult. I was a terrible tank, and afterwards it motivated me to respec.

It is difficult when the other players are all trying to do DPS, and there is admittedly a healer, but I am running out of power and the healer is running out of power as well.

It is exceedingly obvious that without a proper team combination it makes running difficult.

(I did get 7 Marks of Legend however)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man yeah turning vsync makes such a world of difference. i don't even really notice any vsync problems and i'm usually fairly picky about those. no idea why it's capped at 30 it seems to run really well

Raoh

One of the best things is the ability to respec at any time. for $500 of course.

I was all over the place but now i have just the main traits/powers/gadgets i use often with one or two that I think i may like and i can respec later if i dont.

At first i hated acrobatic travel but the ability to glide around is nice but now that I'm using Grapple Line.. Damn.. If it were any smoother I'd be spider man.

FredFish

Keyboard makes a big difference. When they iron out the mic issues the game will really shine I think. Nightz what role is your toon? Forgot to ask when we grouped

Killthee

Known Shippable said:
Is there a way to share quests?
Yes and no. If you group up and a teammate does something relevant to your current quest, you'll get credit for it too. On the other hand if you're teammate hasn't received/activated your current quest, he wont get credit for completing the goals and he wont see the context sensitive goals (hold O for vortex to open/close, hold O to capture hospital patient, hold O for......). He also wont have a clue what your current quest goals are unless you communicate them to him via voice/text chat (does not apply to instances/dungeons, everyone can see those goals).

The best thing to do is to group up with people playing around the area your current quest takes place in. Usually they'll be doing the same quest line making it easier to coordinate and you both get the same xp for it.

FredFish said:
Keyboard makes a big difference. When they iron out the mic issues the game will really shine I think. Nightz what role is your toon? Forgot to ask when we grouped
Tank according to the database.

Nightz

FredFish said:
Just DPS at the moment since I haven't hit level 10 yet, but will be a tank. Tried to make my guy a Sub Zero clone so I'm using ice for my powers.

FredFish

Whoops should've checked the db. Sorry I didn't stick around longer but you logged in after I had been playing most of the night already. Still it was nice to help you steamroll a couple of missions ;) I'll be glad to help you pound out stuff and get your level up whenever we're both online

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Quagm1r3 said:
What's the best combo right now? I'm trying dual pistols + mental but I find the damage lacking.
I don't think there is a true 'best combo' for anything... you can make just about anything work to an extent. Personal preference seems to work out just fine so far. At least early on - I can't speak for level 30 stuff.

Nightz

FredFish said:
Whoops should've checked the db. Sorry I didn't stick around longer but you logged in after I had been playing most of the night already. Still it was nice to help you steamroll a couple of missions ;) I'll be glad to help you pound out stuff and get your level up whenever we're both online
No worries. I get home from work kinda late so I play later than most people. I appreciate the help. Got a bit of a way to go before I can catch up to the level my PC character was.

Do we have a hero league in Redemption?

Killthee

Nightz said:
No worries. I get home from work kinda late so I play later than most people. I appreciate the help. Got a bit of a way to go before I can catch up to the level my PC character was.

Do we have a hero league in Redemption?
There's a couple of us in a really small league, but nothing serious. Feel free to make a new one if you want to be the leader :)

Nightz

Nah it's cool, I'll just join you guys if it's ok. :) Not trying to make anything serious at this point since I'm still fairly new to the PS3 side.

Edit: Just realized it's way past my bedtime. This game will kill my work productivity lol.

Killthee

Nightz said:
Nah it's cool, I'll just join you guys if it's ok. :) Not trying to make anything serious at this point since I'm still fairly new to the PS3 side.

Edit: Just realized it's way past my bedtime. This game will kill my work productivity lol.
PM Mercury Fred (EspressoJonze) for an invite, he's the leader.

Miss Marvel to the rescue!
2557-mmet101_audio-pc-18-18.14.120.jpg

Pow!
2553-intcharlightrig_neut-pc-18-18.42.490.jpg

Shazam!
2554-mmet101_audio-pc-18-17.55.030.jpg

And the comic cutscenes are great

2549-dcgame-2011-01-17-17-32-16-31.jpg

2546-dcgame-2011-01-18-18-07-52-97.jpg

No45

Sods law. Been looking forward to this for ages and hardly had a chance to play it over the weekend - just managed to create two characters and, names aside, I'm not happy with either of them. >_<

zugzug

anyone give me a quick rundown on what the end game is for this game?

I've been watching a lot of Panda on Justin.tv and he seems to be doing a lot of pvp as a heal spec.

And that gliding/flying thing just seems so cheesy easy is that the acrobatics travel power I hear people talking about.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Any City of Heroes or Champions dudes playing this? How different are they from eachother? I don't want to play the Emperors New Game :(

McBradders said:
Any City of Heroes or Champions dudes playing this? How different are they from eachother? I don't want to play the Emperors New Game :(

I played CoH for at least a year, and I can say that this game moves a lot quicker (you start out with movement powers for example). The fact that you are actually in full control of when you do your moves (it's a brawler) is very nice too. The whole "feel" of DCUO is similar to CoH/CoV though...I think they got a lot of ideas from those games when they were making this.

Another aspect of DCUO that I like a lot more than CoH is the storytelling and cutscenes; you can really feel the production quality behind them. That said...I find the voice acting for non-famous characters to be rather atrocious most of the time, not that it really matters though.

icechai

TheExodu5 said:
Can you ever respec movement forms? (i.e. acrobatic to flying)

your respec is only your skill points reset. So you can reskill your current movement form, but can't change to a new one.

icechai

zugzug said:
anyone give me a quick rundown on what the end game is for this game?

I've been watching a lot of Panda on Justin.tv and he seems to be doing a lot of pvp as a heal spec.

And that gliding/flying thing just seems so cheesy easy is that the acrobatics travel power I hear people talking about.

there were some good posts a few pages back about end game. Gliding is part of acrobatics, flying is obviously part of flying. Not that cheesy as each movement has pros and cons. flying you fly really slow in battle and its harder to run away, and if you fly up smart players will stun/knockdown combo your slow ass. on the other end of the scale, super speed is really easy to run around walls and get away but they can't really fly, just a high double jump. While acrobatics rely on grappling hooks when it comes to moving around while in battle mode, so if you're not near a building, sucks for you :p.

But as for what Acrobatics gain, I love it on one of my characters. As long as I roll around and am near buildings, I can go in, assassinate some dude with his friends around, and zip up a skyscrapper before they can really get ahold of me. Then once battle wears off you just turn on the rockets and glide away.

oh and to add more variety to the mix, each movement tree has it's own set of battle skills. So if you don't like your attacks and want to do movement tree, you have stuff like how flash runs in circles around people and cause damage/dizziness. it's pretty awesome. Acrobatics obviously involves the grappling hook and some flip kicks. While flying has dive bomb attack and whirlwind stuff.

DY_nasty

Had a great night in PVP. I thought brawling with people as a dmg/healer+bow combination would be essentially suicide one on one but I surprised myself... Tip to the newbs, if you see someone in front of you stop swinging/shooting all of a sudden and instead begin to slowly wave their hands around INTERRUPT THEM. I got way too many kills off of Brier and Harvest just because people are too bent on mashing.

Oh yeah... got ambushed by a minotaur

feels bad man

TheExodu5 said:
What exactly does Acrobatics gain in battle?

I like the idea of Acrobatics on my character, but it didn't feel that great.

A well played acrobatics cant die or let anything escape. In pvp, zip lines are amazing and perfect poise is the best supercharge skill in the game atm since it gives total immunity to damage and control effects. You just need to invest in the tree.

I am starting to regret not picking acrobatics myself. The main reason I picked flight is so I can AFK by flighting straight up and staying there since I am on a pvp server, however in actual pvp Acrobatics is baller. So many knockdown and stuns and their power recovery special works off stuns, so you it goes off alot.

Apart from the ability to AFK in the sky, flight is the WORST combat power. PvE the best is Super Speed since its 200 power restore skill does not have a condition (IE using it always gives back 200 power) and PvP acro can do tons of crazy crap. Flight is kind of good for tanking though, since most of its skills are AoE.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
MadraptorMan said:
I played CoH for at least a year, and I can say that this game moves a lot quicker (you start out with movement powers for example). The fact that you are actually in full control of when you do your moves (it's a brawler) is very nice too. The whole "feel" of DCUO is similar to CoH/CoV though...I think they got a lot of ideas from those games when they were making this.

Another aspect of DCUO that I like a lot more than CoH is the storytelling and cutscenes; you can really feel the production quality behind them. That said...I find the voice acting for non-famous characters to be rather atrocious most of the time, not that it really matters though.

Thanks! Does it play well on Mouse and Keys or should I get a controller for the PC version? No way I'm playing this on PSN due to ludicrous download times for the probable frequent patches :(

DY_nasty

Yeah, Flight is a lot more suited for PVE... its hilarious how many guys try to fly away only to get snatched out the sky and brought back to the regularly scheduled ass whoopin. Acrobatics may seem funky and the lesser of the three at first, but it really shines later on. Superspeed is nice until you need to get on top of a roller coaster or to the 3rd floor of an unfinished building...

Oh, and I respec'd everything off the Shapeshifting branch to Plants and I'm never looking back. Outside of the first two abilities in Shapeshifting, the whole tree seems to be awful. I haven't looked back.

Killthee

McBradders said:
Thanks! Does it play well on Mouse and Keys or should I get a controller for the PC version? No way I'm playing this on PSN due to ludicrous download times for the probable frequent patches :(
Get a controller if you get the PC version or use a DS3 with MotioninJoy if you have one.

PS3/PSN Title updates have so far each clocked in at 135MB's, most of the patch data (~2GB's) is actually downloaded in game directly from SOE's fast servers.

Top Bottom