• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

AstroLad said:
I do have to say I do like never having to queue up for games . . . yikes.

Plus I think TotalBiscuit in one of his vids said that the digital release hit before the retail in the UK. Well at least for wherever he is in the UK.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow even tom chick digs this game
What works?
Tom: When you talk about what works in an MMO, there are two distinct perspectives to consider: that of a more casual player who just wants to dip his toe in from time to time, and the long-term hardcore player who's going to stick around long enough that he's qualified to gripe about "endgame content". I can't speak yet to the second group -- more on that in later field reports -- but I can say that this is a glorious success for the first group.

After a week of play, I can say that DC Universe works wonderfully as a superhero themed action RPG. Never mind that it's supposed to be an MMO. It has a laser focus on gratifying combat instead of the ancillary loot hunt, gear crafting, and money sinks you associate with most MMOs. There are even some open-world collecting gimmicks to encourage you to explore between bouts of punching, kicking, and shooting.

Aside from the wonderful combat, one of the best and most immediate gameplay hooks is the variety of movement modes. An important part of any game with an open world is travel. There needs to be an interesting way to get around: a cool horse, a car with radio stations, a grappling hook combined with a parachute -- that sort of thing. DC Universe understands this gloriously. Every hero in the game makes important choices at the outset that correspond to the usual race/class categories, but one of the unique choices you'll make in DC Universe is how your hero moves around the world. Flight is boring but effective; super-speed is point-and-go easy; and acrobatics is a delicate mixture of running, climbing, gliding, and grappling. You know how awesome it is getting around in Assassin's Creed and Crackdown? That's acrobatics in DC Universe. I've never come across an MMO that made getting from point A to point B such a joy.

Also, it's worth noting that if you're on a PvP server where heroes and villains are thrown together early and often, the various movement options are a crucial part of the character balance. Who can catch whom and who can escape in these detailed urban environments is a major part of the game. In fact, it's why I'm attached to acrobatics, which involves the best of flying and super-speed. We'll see how that pans out after I've been ganked a few hundred more times.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/217882/the-first-three-weeks-dc-universe-online/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
AstroLad said:
the hud and menus imo are the things in biggest need of an overhaul in this game though i know they'll probably never get one
God yes. The menu being so slow and messy is my biggest complaint.

That, and fighting people directly above...

MrMephistoX

Based on this thread and the Giant Bomb quicklook I took advantage of Best Buy's b2g1 sale and got this along with Mass Effect and LBP2 today can't wait!

.hacked

This game looks too much fun, just got back from gamestop with a copy.

installing/updating now.

Now to think of a clever name...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think you guys talked me into it... :/

Is there any difference between DD and Disc (PS3)? How much HDD space needed for the DD download? Mine is full to bursting atm.

Dreohboy

DY_nasty said:
Oh, and the costume options aren't limited in anyway...

True.

But body types are severely limited. Sure, it'd take more resources, but instead of having just 3 male body types would it kill them to up that count to 6 so everyone looks the same even less.

Hell, IMHO there should be at least 20 different body types per sex, but i understand why that can't be.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not understanding the ice tree at all...ice is supposed to be a tank, and yet there is only 1 cryogenics tanking ability, and 1 storm tanking ability.

My hero:

53387471.jpg

Tendo

Rerolling My female villain. I want her to be a caster type that uses staves but I'm not sure what power set to use. I like the idea of sorcery but not married to it. Is fire fun to play? Is the villain side active? i always seem to see way more Heroes.

Foxix Von

Installing now. (ps3) Don't let me down gaf.

I also want to mention how surprisingly quick the initial install is going. I'm 15 minutes in and it's 50% done. I was expecting a much more arduous affair.

.hacked

Foxix said:
Installing now. (ps3) Don't let me down gaf.

I also want to mention how surprisingly quick the initial install is going. I'm 15 minutes in and it's 50% done. I was expecting a much more arduous afair.

2nd patch is much much slower (14% at 17mins) :/

Late night tonight.

calder

After playing a surprising amount the last few days I'm REALLY liking this game a lot. A sliver from lvl 10 on my main hero, and I freaking love my villian on the PVP server, nature magic (plant based, shapeshifting seems inherently lame thanks to DragonAge) + hand blasts are super fun and that toon plays soooo different from my gadget/acrobat batman wannabe in gotham. :D

Alright so rolled my first character on pvp server, and right away early on I'm getting ganked all the time by players that are lvl 20 and 30's? Wtf. They are even hovering around the newbie spots right next to the club in Gotham (villain side) taking out lvl 2's and such.

Is this normal because just trying to do the first couple quests has become impossible even calling for help from other players.

icechai

AstroLad said:
the hud and menus imo are the things in biggest need of an overhaul in this game though i know they'll probably never get one

excerpt from Massively's interview with Chris Cao part 2:

"Any word in regard to the auction houses, which are still not active in the game?

Chris Cao: Yes, definitely, with the first update. We're actually working on it right now. We had some issues in beta with making sure that fonts were readable and the UI was working well. We've worked hard to fix those things, and [it is] basically the very next thing on the docket to get out to all of you. You have stuff in your bags, and you need a way to trade it -- we understand that.

We've seen some complaints about social interaction, especially on the PS3 side. What kinds of things are you putting in to address that?

There are some improvements for chat and social interactions that we're planning on. Basically, as we're playing and continuing to react to feedback, we see that it's not lightning-fast like we had before, so we're looking at improving usability and the UI.

We actually have, in the next update coming out, a resting mode. In some games it's called "sit," but in superhero games, they look far different than that. For example, on the Serious type characters, it's very much like the Batman-styled crouch-on-a-gargoyle kind of look. For the comical, it's a fall-down-with-legs-splayed kind of thing. We're adding a few more of those to buff up the social side overall. Where it's coming from is less the PS3 and more those on controllers, as we have quite a few people on PCs using controller as well.

Overall, there are some usability issues for chat and social things that need more polish than anything else, things like making sure you can set your default chat channel instead of having /g to talk to group, being able to more easily control which channels you're in, improving push-to-talk on the controller. Basically there are some little things that we need to do to make it easier for you, in that sense of things. Audience-wise it's interesting because there's actually quite a bit of shout-casting going on for the PS3 right now, as MMO players who have been on the PC come over and teach social conventions to the PS3 guys. They need to know that since they're not used to [a game in which] everyone in a city can actually hear, they can shout out and hopefully get some people to help, or ask a question. I think half of that is not just the UI, but also people getting accommodated to this kind of game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
recklessmind said:
I think you guys talked me into it... :/

Is there any difference between DD and Disc (PS3)? How much HDD space needed for the DD download? Mine is full to bursting atm.
There's no DD release for the PS3 right now. They'll probably release one eventually, but right now there's only the disc release for PS3. Most of the game runs off the HDD so I doubt there will be any noticeable load time improvements if a DD version is ever released.

Initial disc install is ~11GB's. There's 2 135MB Title updates and around ~2.3GB's of patch data downloaded after the install. In total the installation clocks in at ~14GB's right now.

If you meant to ask if there is any difference between DD PC and disc PS3, yes. PC will look and run better if you have a semi decent machine. IIRC, DD PC install also clcks in ~14GB's.

BattleMonkey said:
Alright so rolled my first character on pvp server, and right away early on I'm getting ganked all the time by players that are lvl 20 and 30's? Wtf. They are even hovering around the newbie spots right next to the club in Gotham (villain side) taking out lvl 2's and such.

Is this normal because just trying to do the first couple quests has become impossible even calling for help from other players.
From my experience on Killing Joke, no, not normal. They sound like a couple of douche bags acting like dicks.

icechai said:
excerpt from Massively's interview with Chris Cao part 2:
Sounds great!

icechai

BattleMonkey said:

For Death & Glory's Gotham, you need to know when to run away from a lvl 30 by the 3rd or 4th quests, a few villains love being dicks there, but they get distracted here and there by other high lvl heroes on patrol so you can still manage to finish those quests off pretty quickly. Kinda scary when suddenly a giant bus falls down on top of me thrown by a villain (by the way they hung out there pretty much all weekend). But even then, if you can get 5 or more people your level to gang up on one, you can still take them down.

Nishastra

Banned
I love Legend mode, but I hit a few bugs today.

First match today, it seemed like I had my own health rather than Harley's, and so pretty much anything would one-shot me.

Second match there was a Batman on the villain team for a while, but eventually he disappeared and was replaced by another Harley.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kyo_daikun said:
Anybody find any Orange Artifact rares yet?

Just hit level 27 as well, seems to be going a lot lot slower after 24ish.
Form a raid and start doing those high level bounties. You get a crapload of experience for completing them and usually they last less than 5 minutes if you're in a high level, 8 person group with a couple of people using support roles.

Effect

Are passive weapon skills active even if you are using another weapon skill? For example say I have Brawling and passive skills unlocked under that. If I unlock Staff and unlock passive skills there will they stack on top of the Brawling passive skills?

icechai

Effect said:
Are passive weapon skills active even if you are using another weapon skill? For example say I have Brawling and passive skills unlocked under that. If I unlock Staff and unlock passive skills there will they stack on top of the Brawling passive skills?

yes, that's why many put skills into their 2nd weapon.

BattleMonkey said:

As has been posted, not normal on Killing Joke from what I've seen. Most dickish thing I've experienced was being attacked while listening to Booster Gold's tourism thing at the kiosk.

But even that made me laugh more than mad.

DY_nasty

BattleMonkey said:

Not normal at all. I didn't run into a lot of that at all. Not a LOT, but nothing more than I'd expect from any PVP in general.

DY_nasty said:
Not normal at all. I didn't run into a lot of that at all. Not a LOT, but nothing more than I'd expect from any PVP in general.

I love seeing the red circles come in on me like the scanners from Aliens. Gets the blood flowing!

DY_nasty

Yes, dodging/chasing red dots through Metropolis is the best.
icechai said:
But even then, if you can get 5 or more people your level to gang up on one, you can still take them down.
What I love most about this game. Nothing feels impossible when you're rolling in a solid group.

Effect

BattleMonkey said:

That sucks. Crap like that is what kills populations on PvP servers. People expect to fight other players at some point. However the laying in wait outside of newbie areas is the worst form of PvP. It isn't even PvP but actual griefing. This is why many players end up hating PvP and when given the choice will stick with PvE servers where PvP is structured. Stuff like this is what caused Trammel to be created for example when it came to Ultima Online. There is no player vs player combat taking place. One side has no way of fighting back in situations like this and is simply prey. They are at the mercy of players that get off on taking out low levels just because they feel it's fun.

I won't be surprised if in a few weeks players on PvP servers are complaining about their populations. I expect those severs to show up as low as well.

icechai said:
yes, that's why many put skills into their 2nd weapon.

Thanks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Superman's missions are so weak, I swear. Beating up robots and Lexcorp security? Laaaaaaame.

Can't wait to get another WW mission.

markatisu

Effect said:
That sucks. Crap like that is what kills populations on PvP servers. People expect to fight other players at some point. However the laying in wait outside of newbie areas is the worst form of PvP. It isn't even PvP but actual griefing. This is why many players end up hating PvP and when given the choice will stick with PvE servers where PvP is structured. Stuff like this is what caused Trammel to be created for example when it came to Ultima Online. There is no player vs player combat taking place. One side has no way of fighting back in situations like this and is simply prey. They are at the mercy of players that get off on taking out low levels just because they feel it's fun.

I won't be surprised if in a few weeks players on PvP servers are complaining about their populations. I expect those severs to show up as low as well.

Thanks.

You sir explained exactly how I feel towards PvP.

I even attempted to give it a chance in the Beta (at the time there was a glitch that turned on PvP the minute you hit another player, even if by accident) and it was like all I could do was respawn and get raped and die, wash/rinse/repeat.

The minute they fixed it so you had to flag PvP I vowed never to return to PvP or join a PvP server.

Epcott

Earlier today I was playing in a PvE, looking for Avatar of Sin (whom neeeeeever seems to show up) while standing atop Superman's statue's head. A villain hovered by, next thing you know (I guess he toggled the PvP settings) he's putting the whoop on my poor hero's ass.

WTF?

Anywho, heroes are so boring, so I gave my hero a break and chose a villain: Acrobat, Rifle as weapon, Nature, and a female... and named her Bullet Ghost.

Sucks to see people having so much trouble in the PvP, makes me wonder how things would fare if I stayed in The Killing Joke (@_@)

BTW, glitches are killing me. Sometimes your clothing will change even if you have it on lock. In the opening Braniac ship, I found myself naked and had to toggle my settings again. Another time, the game stopped recognizing my brawler weapon, so I couldn't perform my "hold square or triangle" attack (had to once more go into settings and reset my weapon, during the heat of battle... sigh). And with the new rifle character, the square button (gun butt) would not work. And hab mercy, acrobat will have you running in circles while the camera goes crazy when you're in certain spots.

Nishastra said:
I love Legend mode, but I hit a few bugs today.

First match today, it seemed like I had my own health rather than Harley's, and so pretty much anything would one-shot me.

Second match there was a Batman on the villain team for a while, but eventually he disappeared and was replaced by another Harley.

Wow, you were able to play Legend mode? I still get queued indefinitely while attempting to get in :(

Effect

Saw a villain hovering near the Avatar of Sin area today as well. He was on top of a building. I was standing there as a I stepped away from my computer. He was flagged for PvP moving around me when I came back. I thought about flagging but then I thought better. Checked the social tab and saw that he was level 30. That area is for mid teens. I guess he was looking for someone quick to act to try and attack him. Hoping for an easy kill on his part.

I get the feeling any villain moving through low level areas like that are looking for an easy kills. I usually see villains of the right level just going about their business completing missions.

Another topic. Does turning vsync off increase the load on your graphics card? I assume it would as it isn't be limited but just wanted to make sure.

So, I am on no Man's land as a villain so far and I am FREAKING loving it. I just did the Gorilla alert today and it was a blast. I love the way the alerts (aka runs/instances) are modeled with objectives and not just *clear this trash to get to boss*. I am really surprised of how much detail and depth have gone into the alerts.

Also, I did an 8v8 arena today and it was a fraking blast. I'm only level 14 so far with a great league; but, so far so good.

DY_nasty

Worst bug I had was last night.

I was playing on Killing Joke in Gotham, fucking up fools for that 5 Villian bounty. I was really feeling myself too since I just won a 1 on 2 fight and as I went up to one of the bodies to hold O for the lulz, then the camera locks on me. I could still move around and see myself moving but the camera was fixed to that spot and angle.

I fixed it by warping, but there was another time where I got stuck in a bent over analyze animation while guys t'd off on me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is the gaf pc league still going on? can whoever is in charge of it invite me or whatever? astrolad currently a level 15 controller on the gaf server

Nightz

AstroLad said:
is the gaf pc league still going on? can whoever is in charge of it invite me or whatever? astrolad currently a level 15 controller on the gaf server
I think it would be a wise idea if someone just started the GAF league over in Zero Hour. I'm the owner of the original league, but I can't even get into the game anymore so I can't invite or assign members invite privileges. Crimson has invite powers, but no control over anything else. SOE tech support can't figure my problem out so I don't think I'll be back on the PC server anytime soon.

Varna

BattleMonkey said:

It's been getting more common. On my first character I didn't run into that many people slaughtering new players. The ones that did do it were at the most 10 levels higher and it was pretty easy to gang up on them and take them down.

On my second and it's getting a little annoying. Level 30s just slaughtering people in the first mission areas. Hell, I even see people forming groups specifically to grief players! You can avoid it though... do other missions or ask for help (people usually do help). I don't think many level 30 attacks can one shot new characters anyways so it is still possible to run away.

All part of the fun I say though. Love PVP servers even when they are at there worse. Saw some crazy shit like a giant guild attack on a police station. Non stop fighting for like 20 minutes.

Top Bottom