• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its so bad that I still have to use the map and waypoint toggles to navigate the Watchtower...

d0c_zaius said:
This has been pretty much my experience since friday.

I still can't believe their PvP structure was ..........no structure.

If they just gave a thought to applying some focus to world pvp, it wouldn't feel so pointless.

Otherwise the game is great though. Any legions on Killing Joke, or anyone want to start one?

What makes it bad to me I think is how close everyone is to each other. Unlike other games and because of travel powers, the two sides are pretty much on top of each other at the start.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BattleMonkey said:
What makes it bad to me I think is how close everyone is to each other. Unlike other games and because of travel powers, the two sides are pretty much on top of each other at the start.
I just noticed this today, but Wonder Woman has a lvl 17 quest that finishes up almost directly on top of the very first Circe Villain zone. Its less than a block away.

I had pulled up my menu coming out of the portal to check my loot (extremely bad habit) and as soon as I dropped my menu, I found myself surrounded by a mob of level 4s.

Also does the city or such expand anymore eventually as you play? The cities seem pretty small really especially cause of the travel powers. I know lot of content involves instances but was wondering if the initial Metropolis and Gotham expand.

BattleMonkey said:
Also does the city or such expand anymore eventually as you play? The cities seem pretty small really especially cause of the travel powers. I know lot of content involves instances but was wondering if the initial Metropolis and Gotham expand.

Nope, you can visit every part of it straight from the beginning (obviously not advisable tho if you run into high level enemies)

I personally think the cities are huge, they have lots of space to add new missions and such in so im pretty happy, plus they can always do expansions and make cities larger.

Ferny

So how does everyone feel about the death penalty (or lack of) I like the fact the fact that you just get knocked out for about 10 seconds and then start right back up it does make the action go by quicker. It does seem a little on the easy side though.

Ferny73 said:
So how does everyone feel about the death penalty (or lack of) I like the fact the fact that you just get knocked out for about 10 seconds and then start right back up it does make the action go by quicker. It does seem a little on the easy side though.

Check how much it will cost to repair your gear, thats the death penalty, think it cost me nearly $400 the other day to repair my gear after fighting Black Canary and Green Arrow..

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Any interest in a PSN chat room for N.A. GAF? I can start one today if people are interested......

I'd also like to start a Killing Joke villain legion today. Add me to your in game friends list (Enchantress) and send me a tell (/t Enchantress) if you see me online so we can get the ball rolling.

I'm open to some legion name suggestions. All I got is Gruesome Assault Force : /

MadraptorMan said:
Server is down...:(

How long do they usually stay down for?
Daily server maintenance occurs at 4 A.M. PST and last about an hour.

Foxix said:
I went with sorcery and I'm not so sure I'm sold on that power set yet... Almost every ability lists having a particular bonus when an "aura" is active but the game never explains what those are =/ can anyone help me out with this one?
AFAICT, Golden Soul grants a 10% bonus to critical healing while Red Soul buffs up the powers in the Summoning tree (there should be details listed in the power description).

Nightz

Killthee said:
Any interest in a PSN chat room for N.A. GAF? I can start one today if people are interested......

I'd also like to start a Killing Joke villain legion today. Add me to your in game friends list (Enchantress) and send me a tell (/t Enchantress) if you see me online so we can get the ball rolling.
PSN chat would be nice. I was also thinking of starting my first villain and wasn't sure if I wanted to go PvE or PvP, but if you guys get that going, I'll put him on Killing Joke.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
I'm pretty interested in seeing how they work out some of the kinks, some of which they've alluded to as quoted in a post earlier. The base is really quality imo and the positive press and fan reactions combined with apparent sales success will hopefully translate into some real improvements.

Leunam

Started this game last night and had a blast. I'm a dual-wielding, acrobatic hero on Death & Glory named Tuvia if anyone wants to add me. Can't post a screenshot since I'm at work and i wasn't able to find the screenshot folder last night. Finished up the Scarecrow line and started on the Bane questline. Really enjoying the game.

jogarrr

ChronicleX said:
LOL. I have reset my traits so much that the cost reset. It seems after 1100 cost it goes back down to 500, pretty handy.

That's good to know :) Probably a bug though and by the time I get to that point it'll be fixed. :(

I'd jump into psn chat

ok so I bought some chest piece in the reactor? room where they sell the pvp characters. Is that good for pvp only? For Controller should I be stacking up on vital(the power refresh thing) and dominance to do dungeons? We got our ass kicked in the Ace Chemicals lvl 30 fight and somewhere else we went so I'm not really sure what I should be picking up. We kept trying it but I think I blew 5k in repairs haha

FWIW:

I have a Hero in Countdown (PVE) = Malingenie lvl 21
I have a villain in The Killing Joke = Fatalie Lvl 6

I was soooo surprised at this game, it has been years since I played and thought about playing so much during the day!

I am loving the controller role, Mental with one and Gagets with the other. I love diffusing a sticky situation and contributing decent damage!

.hacked

Got to play all morning, got to lvl 7 and beat Scarecrow.

731gnt.jpg

Danziger

SpiderJerusalem said:
I'd jump into psn chat

ok so I bought some chest piece in the reactor? room where they sell the pvp characters. Is that good for pvp only? For Controller should I be stacking up on vital(the power refresh thing) and dominance to do dungeons? We got our ass kicked in the Ace Chemicals lvl 30 fight and somewhere else we went so I'm not really sure what I should be picking up. We kept trying it but I think I blew 5k in repairs haha

Stick with Area 51 on hard and farm that if you are pubbing, as that is easy. And yeah power regen / dominace is what you should be going for as a controller.

zulfate

Killthee said:

I'm open to some legion name suggestions. All I got is Gruesome Assault Force : /

Daily server maintenance occurs at 4 A.M. PST and last about an hour.

AFAICT, Golden Soul grants a 10% bonus to critical healing while Red Soul buffs up the powers in the Summoning tree (there should be details listed in the power description).

I am on killing joke,my characters name is riblet and sulfate....hit me up later ill help with the GAF legion on there too

ChronicleX said:
Stick with Area 51 on hard and farm that if you are pubbing, as that is easy. And yeah power regen / dominace is what you should be going for as a controller.

ah thanks, I'll try that tonight
edit: wait whats pubbing?

Raiden

Banned
Hey guys, got to play the game a bit, lv 4 now. But i wonder, does your flight speed ever increase? Cause flying is seems pretty slow to me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm really enjoying playing the PC version on my TV with a 360 controller.

However, I am a bit nervous about how my PvP performance will be against people using M/KB. You can pretty much look in any direction instantly when using a mouse... and I can see this being a big problem when it comes down to targeting other players.

On a related note, how exactly does targeting work in this game? Is there a good method for targeting a specific mob when there are about six in front of you?

So did the facebook profile thing to get the free loot and I get an email saying they are all out and will restock on codes soon lol

Do I have to keep my profile changed till I get my code?

ChronicleX said:
LOL. I have reset my traits so much that the cost reset. It seems after 1100 cost it goes back down to 500, pretty handy.

From what I understand, the respec cost resets every 24 hours. Just make sure to respec once every 24 hours and it will always only cost you 500.

oktarb

This is about the Bane fight with Killer Croc. Open to advice but overall it was just plain annoying.

So I'm fighting Bane with my Magic Healer (in DPS mode) and Killer Croc is fighting with me. I have some serious problems with this fight. Ironically on another character I had zero problems but I guess that's the breaks.

First, its BS that you essentially waste you time 90% of the fight because you can't really hurt Bane until gets to the last column. He regens after every other pillar until he gets to the last. 90% of the fight you're basically blowing smoke up his ass.

Second, if Killer Croc dies you lose, period. Even if you could live and beat Bane on your own, its game/fight over. So all this time Bane is regening, Killer Croc is getting stomped and doesn't regen.

Third and the kicker - I can't heal Croc. I'm a healer... and I can't heal. Fail.

So five times in a row I couldn't lay down enough damage to drop Bane before pathetic Croc gets dropped. try as i might Croc just takes too much damage. By the time I get to the last pillar Croc is down to 20% health. I lay down everything I have, combo's powers, spit, insults the whole ball of wax. Croc dies, start over.
Initiate Game Agro.

hermit7

oktarb said:
This is about the Bane fight with Killer Croc. Open to advice but overall it was just plain annoying.

So I'm fighting Bane with my Magic Healer (in DPS mode) and Killer Croc is fighting with me. I have some serious problems with this fight. Ironically on another character I had zero problems but I guess that's the breaks.

First, its BS that you essentially waste you time 90% of the fight because you can't really hurt Bane until gets to the last column. He regens after every other pillar until he gets to the last. 90% of the fight you're basically blowing smoke up his ass.

Second, if Killer Croc dies you lose, period. Even if you could live and beat Bane on your own, its game/fight over. So all this time Bane is regening, Killer Croc is getting stomped and doesn't regen.

Third and the kicker - I can't heal Croc. I'm a healer... and I can't heal. Fail.

So five times in a row I couldn't lay down enough damage to drop Bane before pathetic Croc gets dropped. try as i might Croc just takes too much damage. By the time I get to the last pillar Croc is down to 20% health. I lay down everything I have, combo's powers, spit, insults the whole ball of wax. Croc dies, start over.
Initiate Game Agro.

Healing barrels heal NPCs I think, at least they have on other quests for me.

Killthee

FlyinJ said:
I'm really enjoying playing the PC version on my TV with a 360 controller.

However, I am a bit nervous about how my PvP performance will be against people using M/KB. You can pretty much look in any direction instantly when using a mouse... and I can see this being a big problem when it comes down to targeting other players.

On a related note, how exactly does targeting work in this game? Is there a good method for targeting a specific mob when there are about six in front of you?
When using the controller you can use L1 or LB on 360 pad + Left/Right on the D Pad to change target. L1/LB + Up/Down on the D Pad will zoom in or out as well.
hermit7 said:
Healing barrels heal NPCs I think, at least they have on other quests for me.
AoE heal spells will also work, but you don't get them till later on.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Killthee said:
When using the controller you can use L1 or LB on 360 pad + Left/Right on the D Pad to change target. L1/LB + Up/Down on the D Pad will zoom in or out as well.
Huh, no kidding. That's the one thing about this game that is driving me nuts; the complete and utter lack of documentation. All I can really do is to find out via trial and error, or hope that someone else has and posted it online.

Tobor

Any word on the sorry state of voice chat? I'm trying to get my buddy set up with Skype on his iPod Touch so we can play, but it's annoying to have to jump through hoops.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RiccochetJ said:
Huh, no kidding. That's the one thing about this game that is driving me nuts; the complete and utter lack of documentation. All I can really do is to find out via trial and error, or hope that someone else has and posted it online.
seriously. going by reviews even the strategy guide isn't a competent manual

This game is very entertaining in the first 15 hours. The first thing I did was experiment with a variety of characters: mental/brawling (10), fire/blaster (9), ice/blaster (7), and nature/martial arts (6). The ones I found most enjoyable were the mental and nature powers. Mental just tears things apart. While nature provides healing and DoTs galore. Fire felt pretty weak compared to mental, which has some nice stuns along with the DPS, and ice is basically rooting people. Iconic powers, unlocked at 10, seem like a drag with a cast time.

All the weapons have basically the same combos with tap/hold on the mouse (I have the PC version). I was using this post on the dc forums to maximize my characters: http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=9793

Of the movement powers my preference goes acrobatics > flight > speed. All three allow you to climb things vertically, but acrobatics just does it better because it sort of combines the other two. Flight is really easy with just tapping the space bar to go up. Speed can get discombobulating with running up buildings changing the camera angle. It also doesn't help that you can't run through NPCs. Though I did have fun jumping off buildings really fast and landing on the next one (felt like the Matrix). Acrobatics gave the feeling of better control of the character. You can also glide with it, which is a form of flying.

This game gave me a very casual vibe, but maybe it will have more hardcore things to do at max level. It does have all the MMO type elements: gear, rep/renown, and cash, but what does it get you. I guess I have just gotten tired of grinding for better incremental gear. I mean once you hit max level what is there to keep you going? I really liked the style tab that lets you customize your character from all the previous loot you have acquired.

It definitely feels like a console port on the PC. If I did not have a computer, then I would really enjoy it on the PS3. I sort of don't like the journal which has you go back and forth just to hit the complete button. Oh its also extremely easy to get lost in the main hubs (watchtower/hall of doom). If there wasn't a little arrow to show you around I do not know what I would do (probably be looking at the map half the time).

The game is very fun, but I don't see myself giving out 15$ a month to play it. I'll probably mess around with it and get max level on my nature character. Oh, getting exp is easy. You can do the main quests of your mentor, I liked Joker the most so far. Or you can do races where you have a time run through hoops. Or there is even PvP (haven't gotten to this yet). When you defeat various bosses it does give you a nice little cut scene that's like a comic book.
Helping Cat Women defeat the Huntress gave me one with the Huntress's back story. Same with freeing Raven from the being possessed by Trigon. It was funny meeting the titans. Only having heard about their cartoon show. Also finding out Trigon was Raven's father was a nice twist that I didn't know.
All in all, its a very nice game to loose yourself in for a month.

MisterAnderson said:
From what I understand, the respec cost resets every 24 hours. Just make sure to respec once every 24 hours and it will always only cost you 500.

Was not the case with me, maybe its every week then. I did not respec 6x in 1 day, I know that much for certain.

Varna

ChronicleX said:
Was not the case with me, maybe its every week then. I did not respec 6x in 1 day, I know that much for certain.
I was using it every day or so and the fee was always 500. I was at level 16ish though.

Killthee

Any ideas for a GAF villain league name? The one I had appears to be invalid (Gruesome Assault Force). Too long I'm guessing......

darkwing

good news for those having freezing problems, from a mod in the DCUO forums

We have identified an issue affecting some PS3 players which happens within a few minutes of playing the tutorial. We are currently working on a resolution and hope to have a fix in an upcoming update. We appreciate everyones pstience and understanding.

hermit7

Killthee said:
Any ideas for a GAF villain league name? The one I had appears to be invalid (Gruesome Assault Force). Too long I'm guessing......

Non-Believers?

Doesn't quite fit the G-A-F theme, but ties in nicely I feel.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
Maybe it is the spaces. I have no idea otherwise.
Tried it as "Non-Believers" and "Non Believers" and both were invalid.

Settled on "Heretics". Send me a tell (/t enchantress) if you see me online for an invite.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think league names might work the same as character names in that you are only allowed 1 space and you cannot use any special characters, just letters and numbers.

Leunam

Speaking of names I saw one guy yesterday named DERP. The combination of the name, all caps, and a big brute looking dude got a chuckle out of me.

Top Bottom