• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

anyone want to help me with solomon grundy on PS3 redemption server? I keep getting knocked out. :-/ Ill start up a gaf league on redemption if no one else wants to. I have a name in mind for it unless someone else wants to make one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any word on a mic fix for PS3? It wasn't working for one of my 4 friends and not it's not working for any of us. Are we supposed to plug the modem directly every time? I have a home network set up and I am not going to plug the PS3 directly to the modem just to play DCU with voice chat. We need voice chat though, its very important to our teamwork

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Just got an amazing rifle (78 dps) from doing the Ace Chemicals alert. Too bad I can't use it. I've been trying to get better hand blasters for almost a week. I've gotten several good dual wield weapons as well (but not as good as the rifle). Dual wield weapons drop like crazy.

Dreohboy

Changed up the outfit a bit.

Love this game. Glad I found something to hold me over until Crysis 2 hits.

NewBlack.jpg

Nightz

BudokaiMR2 said:
What problem are you running into Nightz?

So is the GAF league the one on the PvE server? Is there nothing on the PvP one?
The game just hangs while it's on "Waiting for character list". If I Alt-Tab out, there's a "Tell us what you were doing when you crashed" message, and then the game closes.

Hawk269

BattleMonkey said:
Alright so rolled my first character on pvp server, and right away early on I'm getting ganked all the time by players that are lvl 20 and 30's? Wtf. They are even hovering around the newbie spots right next to the club in Gotham (villain side) taking out lvl 2's and such.

Is this normal because just trying to do the first couple quests has become impossible even calling for help from other players.

That will happen from time to time, I actually enjoyed it the other night when all of us low level players worked together to fight off 2 level 30's. Yeah, we died alot, but after killing them twice, they gave up and we were fine for the rest of the night. It is not always like that and sometimes you do get some idiots that will continue to do it, but like I mentioned, it has not been a major issue for me and fun at times.

tenz0r

After the initial free 30 days for the PS3 version, will you be able to buy time cards? or use PSN cards to pay for the $14.99 subscription on PS3? or is using a credit card the only way?

Nightz

tenz0r said:
After the initial free 30 days for the PS3 version, will you be able to buy time cards? or use PSN cards to pay for the $14.99 subscription on PS3? or is using a credit card the only way?
PS3 version will use PSN to pay for the sub.

Effect

G-Fex what's your avatar from? Looks familiar but can't place it.

Edit: Nevermind it's changed. The black and white one with the woman in the dress waving at the camera. Got it to reload. At least one of them.
92TyI.gif

Jeff at giantbomb trashed this game on the latest bombcast, anyone have any response to his criticisms, because i'm thinking about getting this.

TheHeretic said:
Jeff at giantbomb trashed this game on the latest bombcast, anyone have any response to his criticisms, because i'm thinking about getting this.

I think it's better and more polished than Star Trek Online, and Jeff bought a lifetime sub for that. So...yeah.

TheHeretic said:

Jeff talks out of his ass half the time; but, sum up what he was saying.

G-Fex

Effect said:
G-Fex what's your avatar from? Looks familiar but can't place it.

Edit: Nevermind it's changed. The black and white one with the woman in the dress waving at the camera. Got it to reload. At least one of them.
92TyI.gif

That'd be kaya from the music video Chocolat.

d0c_zaius

BattleMonkey said:
Alright so rolled my first character on pvp server, and right away early on I'm getting ganked all the time by players that are lvl 20 and 30's? Wtf. They are even hovering around the newbie spots right next to the club in Gotham (villain side) taking out lvl 2's and such.

Is this normal because just trying to do the first couple quests has become impossible even calling for help from other players.

This has been pretty much my experience since friday.

I still can't believe their PvP structure was ..........no structure.

If they just gave a thought to applying some focus to world pvp, it wouldn't feel so pointless.

Otherwise the game is great though. Any legions on Killing Joke, or anyone want to start one?

tribal24

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
This has been pretty much my experience since friday.

I still can't believe their PvP structure was ..........no structure.

If they just gave a thought to applying some focus to world pvp, it wouldn't feel so pointless.

Otherwise the game is great though. Any legions on Killing Joke, or anyone want to start one?

villain or hero if hero i wanna start one

TheHeretic said:

What were his criticisms exactly? I stopped listening to their podcast a few months back when they insisted on repeatedly belittling Minecraft.

No45

Dreohboy said:
True.

But body types are severely limited. Sure, it'd take more resources, but instead of having just 3 male body types would it kill them to up that count to 6 so everyone looks the same even less.

Hell, IMHO there should be at least 20 different body types per sex, but i understand why that can't be.
Ideally you'll be able to customise fully with sliders. I remade Crystal last night (Ice brawler), and I felt my options for costume were limited because I didn't want her to look like she has massive norks! Even as it is, as soon as I spawned out of the tutorial I drew a crowd. :p

She's like an Ice powered Trinity.

Going to make another Batman inspired controller, and not sure what I'll do for a healer spec on the hero side yet.

No45 said:
Are there really only three other EU GAF players?
Yeah tell me about it... :(
I've been able to run a cple of quests with tundra, but that's about it. Hit me up tho, i'd like to group up more often. I play week nights and weekends (except there's soccer tonight so i wont be on for very long). But yeah, if you want to coordinate for some group time, feel free to pm me.

Foxix Von

I went with sorcery and I'm not so sure I'm sold on that power set yet... Almost every ability lists having a particular bonus when an "aura" is active but the game never explains what those are =/ can anyone help me out with this one?

Is there a league for The Killing Joke yet?

Just added my stuff to the list, playing as a fembot named Penumbra.

I actually just ran into my first glitch. The game froze up on me, but eeeehhhh, it worked out since I was seconds away from logging off anyway. haha

No45

Fistwell said:
Yeah tell me about it... :(
I've been able to run a cple of quests with tundra, but that's about it. Hit me up tho, i'd like to group up more often. I play week nights and weekends (except there's soccer tonight so i wont be on for very long). But yeah, if you want to coordinate for some group time, feel free to pm me.
Cheers, will do. I'm really still making my mind up on my characters though (I think I prefer Fire to Ice, although only level 7 and Fire may have changed since the beta) so I don't want to get too heavily involved just yet. :)

Are you guys using voice when grouped? What times do you usually play? I'll add your PSN IDs later tonight (why is there still no way of doing this from the interwebs? :'( ).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you use the rifle power that is the "slide away and fire"?

The combo seems to show hold triangle, then press forward, then press back, then press right?

Pressing back immediately fires off my mortar, so that can't be right...

Why is everyone rolling on the PvE Servers? The open world PvP is the best thing about this game. Everyone you gank even ones up to 10 levels below you have a chance to win, or at least run to an ally.

World PvP in this game is stellar. Level 30's won't waste their time ganking level 5's etc so you have nothing to worry about (the pvp quests only gives credit if they are within 5 levels of you). Stop rolling on PvE servers you chicken shits.

FlyinJ said:

The combo seems to show hold triangle, then press forward, then press back, then press right?

It's distance based. At close range you do the flip backwards to escape, long range you do the mortar. It's the same for the flamethrower and the frontflip. If you are within 1 roll's distance you will do the close range skill, otherwise you'll do the long range one. Also its just back/forwards, the left/right thing is not how its done.

While on the subject of weapons, I highly advise going down to the bottom of many weapon trees to get the +crit, or +20 might skills. Also manage your power point spending into powers you'll use so you have a bunch to spend on the passive iconic power boosts. You'll thank me later =)

FlyinJ said:

Post above me explained it already but seriously, what's up with the instructions on these moves? They're incredibly confusing. Mortars are so awesome, though. I find myself spamming them way too often because of how effective they are, especially coupled with my attack buff. Sogood.gif

No45

http://dcuosource.com/skillplanner/

The beginnings of a skill planner. In lieu of anything more in depth (Do we have a Wowhead equivalent?) it's at least useful as you can see powers/skills that you'll gain access to as you level.

ChronicleX said:
Why is everyone rolling on the PvE Servers? The open world PvP is the best thing about this game. Everyone you gank even ones up to 10 levels below you have a chance to win, or at least run to an ally.
I can't help it. If there's even the smallest chance that the time I get to play this game (which is already limited) will be governed by other people then I won't take that chance. I'm not much of a PvP'er anyway (4 kills in all of my time on WoW!) although I might check out the instanced PvP in this at some point - if I like it then who knows, perhaps I'll roll my villains on a PvP server.

To everyone wanting a Death & Glory league, we need to decide on a name. I suggested "GAFengers" but I like someone elses' idea better that was to find a clever/funny acronym involving G A F. Anyone have any ideas?

I think the first suggestion was "Gentlemanly Assembly of Fighters" but I'm too lazy to look up the post to make sure.

No45

ChronicleX said:
While on the subject of weapons, I highly advise going down to the bottom of many weapon trees to get the +crit, or +20 might skills. Also manage your power point spending into powers you'll use so you have a bunch to spend on the passive iconic power boosts. You'll thank me later =)
So the Iconic powers are bought with the same powers as you use for your main skills? Do you just not use them at level up and save them for later? I suppose as I level I'll pick powers that I ultimately won't use too much, and I can respec as the other powers become available.

I love this discovery phase in games like this. I remarked to a colleague this morning (huge WoW player) how refreshing it is to get in on build discussions as they form - rather than being told exactly how to spec like in WoW.

No45 said:
So the Iconic powers are bought with the same powers as you use for your main skills? Do you just not use them at level up and save them for later? I suppose as I level I'll pick powers that I ultimately won't use too much, and I can respec as the other powers become available.

I love this discovery phase in games like this. I remarked to a colleague this morning (huge WoW player) how refreshing it is to get in on build discussions as they form - rather than being told exactly how to spec like in WoW.

At level 30 you'll have a total of 15 power points, and 15 skillpoints however on your skillbar you can only ever use 6 not counting passives. You'll be using some points as a stepping stone to get to the bottom on your skill trees but IMO it is important to plan your skills out in order to take as many passives as possible. However this is my opinion. You do not have todo this, you can pump all 15 points into both your trees and use alot of the bottom tree skills and I did this for awhile while seeing how things work.

Even now I am STILL not contempt with my skill picks, I might have to respec AGAIN, this time it'll cost me 1K or so. I tried going deep into my Flight Tree, taking all skills to test to see what was worth having so now I need to respec to prune out my flight tree so I can spec more into weapons for the bonus they offer.

Power points are the one you need to plan carefully. Skillpoints are potentially limitless as you get 1 for every 100 feat points. I have around 17 bonus skillpoints atm.

No45

Thanks. As this is my first character I'm going to see how it goes, and just respec later down the line as necessary (already seeing some interesting Ice tanking discussion on the official forums). I assume coming by 1k isn't difficult anyway, I have 500+ currently at level 7. :)

Cash ATM is not really hard to come by atm only because there is nothing to spend it on, there is no player econ as there is no AH implanted yet (there will be one though). Once the AH is added I can see certain style items selling for alot if they are rare enough. They really need to allow vault drops to be traded when that happens.

No45

Yeah, seems like they're getting the AH up and running as a matter of priority. :)

A quick aside. I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 keypad to use with this for quick chat access - anyone using it with this? Seems ideal when you don't need to type reams of text, but it looks unwieldy. :/

Vitet

oktarb said:
- Flying ‘seems’ so almost be needed to me. Some platforms you cannot get to without flying. Maybe I’m missing something but flying seems as fast a super speed (once you get the boost) which just isn’t fair to the speedsters. I tried acrobatics and hated getting stuck on ceiling with the camera freaking out and seeing some clipping, merging of my knees and the wall.

You can do huge jumps as a speedster, even more with the boosts. Here I am after a jump when running up a building (and I'm already falling in this screenshot).
2ltitjt.jpg

I reached the flying Brainac platforms doing this and trust me, flying is not as fast. I tried it with some guy at normal superspeed vs normal fly. With the boost there is no contest.

ChronicleX said:
Cash ATM is not really hard to come by atm only because there is nothing to spend it on, there is no player econ as there is no AH implanted yet (there will be one though). Once the AH is added I can see certain style items selling for alot if they are rare enough. They really need to allow vault drops to be traded when that happens.

I lost an hour of my life in the Watch Tower trying to find an AH. D'OH!

Sblargh

Banned
If a league could mix heroes and villains, it could be Gathering of Allies and Foes.
Geeks Armed and Fierce
Guild of the Art of Fighting
Grassroot Adepts of Felony
-
I don't really have non-horrible sugestions.

No45

Sblargh said:
If a league could mix heroes and villains, it could be Gathering of Allies and Foes.
Geeks Armed and Fierce
Guild of the Art of Fighting
Grassroot Adepts of Felony
-
I don't really have non-horrible sugestions.
I hope they allow alliances of some description in the future. The game (in parts) is about overcoming a common foe so it absolutely makes sense that heroes and villains should be able to band together at some point, temporarily at least.

They could have an alert that has you taking down a boss together, and when he's down you have a mass PvP brawl. :p

No45 said:
I don't want to get too heavily involved just yet. :)

Are you guys using voice when grouped? What times do you usually play? I'll add your PSN IDs later tonight (why is there still no way of doing this from the interwebs? :'( ).
I'm pretty casual-like about it too, not looking to get really hardcore. I do have a headset plugged in, but i've yet to actually use it, i've never heard anyone speak, only one dude once (more mouthbreathing than talking really, not answering when i tried chatting him up). I'll usually play from roughly 7pm (UTC+1h, paris time) to 10-ish maybe on week nights.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Sound bug hit me tonight. Irritating.

I have no clue at all what Stealth does. I think it makes you harder to detect on radar, which is kinda nifty in PvP, but I've got clue at all.

I made the huge mistake of switching my equipment up tonight. Sacrificed power for might on plant dmg/healer and I'm really regretting it. My overall damage dropped so damned fast... you notice the lack of power behind spells much, much faster than the increase in your power bar. Healing was a bit easier, but I spend more time solo than I do in groups.

By the way... I like to think I'm a pretty aware player, but in Alerts tonight I'm trying to heal and some guy was getting mad because he kept dying. We had two healers in the group - it doesn't mean shit when you're trying to solo a boss and your healer is getting mobbed 100 ft away. Just because there are healers around, doesn't matter how many, its not a free pass to be suicidal.

I decided to go for a Lord Zedd look today =)

With Wings
xmtx0n.jpg

Without
f50go6.jpg

Working on my T1 back armour now, what you see in the screens is the T1 Magic Gloves for Villains =)

Sanjuro

No45 said:
Yeah, seems like they're getting the AH up and running as a matter of priority. :)

A quick aside. I'm thinking of picking up the PS3 keypad to use with this for quick chat access - anyone using it with this? Seems ideal when you don't need to type reams of text, but it looks unwieldy. :/
Just use a USB keyboard. It's cheaper. Not many people talk that frequently to be honest.

The funny thing is when I'm playing with friends I'm on XBOX party chat. Thanks Sony.

Top Bottom