• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Jube3

He looks awesome, good job man.

5387365518_1569126b7a_z.jpg

I dumped the cobra helmet today for the pvp set,manged to grab 6/8 so far along with my weapon. Now just need to the blue rings and trinket along with the legs and belt :D Slowly working my way to the tier 1 stuff.

EekTheKat

And just like that, my enthusiasm for this game went out the window. Got tied up with an ex-WoW guy who wants to establish a rigid raid mentality in this game.

It's my fault really, I accidentally mentioned how easy this game was if you apply what you knew about game mechanics from WoW to this game (basic stuff from WoW applies to this game, just some mechanics are slightly different.) And now this dude seems to think I want to start a raiding league with him.

So far, most fights (when they actually work) are pretty easy. Funny thing is there is a built in "Boss Mod" which pretty much stops just short of telling you exactly what to do. The difficulty lies in that some fights are a gear check of sorts, and basically willingness to keep a good supply of Soda around for emergency health replenishment.

Going to give it a couple days to think about it, then drop out of the league maybe. This game is a lot more fun on a casual level vs. doing that whole raid thing over again.

I don't mind raiding, hell I'd like to try it sometimes, but I just don't want to do the WoW thing over again in this game.

that and my current guild in WoW is working on Blackwing Descent

On the bright side, I've learned how to manage my threat fairly effectively now (basically need to use the threat dump ability immediately after a series of special moves), and it's fairly hilarious seeing the boss bounce all over the place now to everyone else but me.

I really like being able to systematically pick apart a pull as a controller now. In Solo Challenges I can run into a pull of 3 or 4, CC all of them but one and burn them down one at a time.

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be a lot of mobs have insta CC breaking abilities. But fortunately controller CC usually applies an attack power debuff if it breaks.

My Controller has ended quite a few alerts now tops in damage done, which is fairly disturbing considering how Controller gear isn't very good for DPS generally speaking.

theta11

EekTheKat said:
And just like that, my enthusiasm for this game went out the window. Got tied up with an ex-WoW guy who wants to establish a rigid raid mentality in this game.

It's my fault really, I accidentally mentioned how easy this game was if you apply what you knew about game mechanics from WoW to this game (basic stuff from WoW applies to this game, just some mechanics are slightly different.) And now this dude seems to think I want to start a raiding league with him.

So far, most fights (when they actually work) are pretty easy. Funny thing is there is a built in "Boss Mod" which pretty much stops just short of telling you exactly what to do. The difficulty lies in that some fights are a gear check of sorts, and basically willingness to keep a good supply of Soda around for emergency health replenishment.

Going to give it a couple days to think about it, then drop out of the league maybe. This game is a lot more fun on a casual level vs. doing that whole raid thing over again.

I don't mind raiding, hell I'd like to try it sometimes, but I just don't want to do the WoW thing over again in this game.

that and my current guild in WoW is working on Blackwing Descent

On the bright side, I've learned how to manage my threat fairly effectively now (basically need to use the threat dump ability immediately after a series of special moves), and it's fairly hilarious seeing the boss bounce all over the place now to everyone else but me.

I really like being able to systematically pick apart a pull as a controller now. In Solo Challenges I can run into a pull of 3 or 4, CC all of them but one and burn them down one at a time.

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be a lot of mobs have insta CC breaking abilities. But fortunately controller CC usually applies an attack power debuff if it breaks.

My Controller has ended quite a few alerts now tops in damage done, which is fairly disturbing considering how Controller gear isn't very good for DPS generally speaking.

Join me dude and be league-less. I noticed your DPS was high, since we've done duos I've grouped with a few controllers and I managed to out dps them in my healer spec. It's sad how many people are terrible at this game. there really needs to be more available documentation because only people with past mmo experience are figuring things out. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
theta11 said:
Join me dude and be league-less. I noticed your DPS was high, since we've done duos I've grouped with a few controllers and I managed to out dps them in my healer spec. It's sad how many people are terrible at this game. there really needs to be more available documentation because only people with past mmo experience are figuring things out. :(
yeah suck it nerds -- i don't give a crap! i hope i fuck up alerts for you flying around and looking at crap and using only cool-looking abilities regardless of EBITDA

Anyone see any nice wide brimmed hats in the game cause all I ever see is the top hat for the most part. Was wanting to create a Shadow like character but the game has very few hat options.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BattleMonkey said:
Anyone see any nice wide brimmed hats in the game cause all I ever see is the top hat for the most part. Was wanting to create a Shadow like character but the game has very few hat options.
How's this:

gqhQ5.jpg

My understanding is that the Cowboy hat is a exclusive Briefing Collection (Blue) style. The Area 51 Briefing Collection to be exact.

I did the most stupid thing i've EVER done in my life yesterday. I bought the wrong weapon for my char.... and it cost 250 influence. To make matters worse, no PVP instances were available yesterday and Fatalie was SOL.

As a true testament of the game, though, I can't wait to play some more!

Is there not a wanted poster bounty for taking out five heros in Gotham? I know the one in Metropolis by Club Lex, but the only bounty poster I find in Gotham is in the club by the one assassin NPC and it's giving me other bounty missions instead.

Also is it normal for bounties to repeat? I got the bounty to take out Full House from the poster, did it and took him out and got the reward and it put up a new bounty on the board, but it again was the same mission to take out Full House.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Is there not a wanted poster bounty for taking out five heros in Gotham? I know the one in Metropolis by Club Lex, but the only bounty poster I find in Gotham is in the club by the one assassin NPC and it's giving me other bounty missions instead.

Also is it normal for bounties to repeat? I got the bounty to take out Full House from the poster, did it and took him out and got the reward and it put up a new bounty on the board, but it again was the same mission to take out Full House.
The kill 5 poster is outside I think, but it will only appear if you need to pick it up/collect the bounty. I think it might be glitched at the moment though because my journal says I'm ready to collect, but the poster is still missing.

Bounties are dailies, you can do all of them every day. What probably happened is you turned in yesterday's bounty unlocking today's bounty poster.

Killthee said:
The kill 5 poster is outside I think, but it will only appear if you need to pick it up/collect the bounty. I think it might be glitched at the moment though because my journal says I'm ready to collect, but the poster is still missing.

Bounties are dailies, you can do all of them every day. What probably happened is you turned in yesterday's bounty unlocking today's bounty poster.

Do the bounties rotate to different enemies or is it always the same one?

Yea I see no outdoor wanted poster for Villains in Gotham.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Do the bounties rotate to different enemies or is it always the same one?

Yea I see no outdoor wanted poster for Villains in Gotham.
Always the same ones picked up at the same location. They open up as you level up.

Here's the Villain Bounties:

Chinatown:
  • Enchanted Statue

Little Bohemia:
  • Bizarro

Midtown:
  • Dr. Fate
  • Hawkman and Hawkgirl
  • Kilowog
  • Power Girl

Burnley (539 Club)
  • Black Canary and Green Arrow
  • The Flash
  • Nepheritos (a.k.a. Mummy)

North Burnley (The Tap Room):
  • Full House
  • Fire

DY_nasty said:
I patrolled hardcore tonight. 2 other guys and myself grouped up and went 30 hunting across the major NPC zones looking for douchebag heroes. Made Gotham a safer place for Villains everywhere. I've found my calling...

That was my job yesterday. Bagged me a bunch of do-gooders, busted some ATMs, assisted some suicides, sabotaged some antennas. I even saw Robin patrolling and sent him a sticky bomb.

Foxix Von

malingenie said:
That was my job yesterday. Bagged me a bunch of do-gooders, busted some ATMs, assisted some suicides, sabotaged some antennas. I even saw Robin patrolling and sent him a sticky bomb.
Like a boss.

bestami

Bought the game for PC yesterday. Played the game whole day yesterday and reached to lvl 11. Loving the game so far. I don't think i am going to play this game for months but so far i really like the campaign-esque quest chains. Never had to grind or do stupid things to get some exp. Rolled a villain on Death and Glory US server even tho i'm not from us.

edit: Also when i start the Launcher, it shows that it needs a 5gb patch. I have to switch servers to get rid of that. Pretty annoying.

Ok, if I were to re-spec to a different weapon type, is there a vendor somewhere that sells higher level weapons more in line with the weapons I already have?

Incidentally, here's a picture of my character - nearly at level 30, can't wait to get some of that awesome looking gear;

IMAG0177.jpg

The PS3 version really needs the screenshot function enabled, hope the developers get on that once more pressing matters like voice chat and new content are out of the way.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Question. For someone who has never played a MMO, would I enjoy this game? I like the DC setting. The closest games I have played to this genre are Diablo and phantasy star online, both of which I love.

I'd be playing on PS3 if that makes a difference

Anybody tried to get the facebook codes? I must have changed my profile pic at least 5 times to get the first facebook code. Now, it says "Code is reserved-coming soon".

Anybody else run into this?

RoninChaos said:
Anybody tried to get the facebook codes? I must have changed my profile pic at least 5 times to get the first facebook code. Now, it says "Code is reserved-coming soon".

Anybody else run into this?

They ran out of codes for catwoman's claws. Suppose they have to create more codes are supposedly going to mail the codes out when they "restock".

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
CB3 said:
Question. For someone who has never played a MMO, would I enjoy this game? I like the DC setting. The closest games I have played to this genre are Diablo and phantasy star online, both of which I love.

Its hotness. (I'm on PS3 too)

A nice mix of Diablo 2, Crackdown, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Weird thing is that I usually don't get drawn into games like this, but I'm way more invested into my character than I've been in anything else.

The game has its bugs, like any MMO in its infancy, but its easily the most fun I've had with a MMO in years.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
DY_nasty said:
Its hotness. (I'm on PS3 too)

A nice mix of Diablo 2, Crackdown, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Weird thing is that I usually don't get drawn into games like this, but I'm way more invested into my character than I've been in anything else.

The game has its bugs, like any MMO in its infancy, but its easily the most fun I've had with a MMO in years.
For sure. I might have to get this

Foxix Von

CB3 said:

Definitely, it's a MMO that's actually really, really fun to play. I can't speak for everyone but it's the only thing I've played that has ever come close to filling the massive void that PSO left in me.

BattleMonkey said:
They ran out of codes for catwoman's claws. Suppose they have to create more codes are supposedly going to mail the codes out when they "restock".

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I guess I should change my profile pic again tomorrow since it will have been a week and try to get the penguin code. Hopefully they don't run out.

Foxix Von

So I found a really weird glitch dealing with back equipment. It looks like whatever position the back model is in during the idle animation is the same position while flying. That doesn't seem wrong right?

Depends on the idle stance, notice how my characters back is sort of angled here as an aggressive pose?
WlRWO.jpg

Well the wings stay in that position while gliding, which means that when the back straightens out, the wings don't and clip through the body:

KnpCM.jpg

So that the right wing is jutting out almost vertically while the left dips down below her armpit lol. Strangely enough this only happens during the gliding animation as while jumping and zip-lining the back model repositions itself accordingly.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Freyjadour said:
So what's the recommended setup for Bows?
What do you mean? If you're just starting out, I'd recommend adding points to the ranged elements first...

DY_nasty said:
What do you mean? If you're just starting out, I'd recommend adding points to the ranged elements first...

I mean with regard to Powers, etc.

Or hell, is there a good wiki/site for recommended stuff?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Gray-Jaeger90 said:

Going to keep my fingers crossed. So does anyone know how voice chat is implemented? All I've been able to gather is that Vivox is the provider, but I'm not sure if it's just a software solution or if they also provide voice chat servers?

I've been learning about all this trying to research the voice chat issues, but it's kind a mess sifting through everything.

So is league chat broken still? I can't seem to ever get it to work.

Also just beat batman in Gotham and ran out of missions to do there, is there somewhere I should go to find some more or I got to level up some more in Metropolis possibly to unlock more stuff to do in Gotham?

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
So is league chat broken still? I can't seem to ever get it to work.

Also just beat batman in Gotham and ran out of missions to do there, is there somewhere I should go to find some more or I got to level up some more in Metropolis possibly to unlock more stuff to do in Gotham?
It tends to go down around 5 P.M. EST when people start logging in. Use the PSN chat room until they fix it.

valeo

Zeal said:
aeronwendcuniverse.jpg

wife just made this badass character. a type of tribute to valkyries. we're currently playing on zero hour.

That is one of the best i've seen so far - where did she get those awesome wings?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Glad to hear something regarding voice chat on their part.

I can confirm that the channel creation for voice chat under the social link tab DOES WORK. My and another friend succesfully tested it on 2 separate servers. The only issue we are having is 1 of our friends is still unable to talk with. It's weird too because we see him in game, we can invite him to our league or group and voice chat dont work BUT the kicker is when we invite him to our channel, he doesn't show up even though he accepts. Are channels like P2P? I'm very interested to see if what they're doing will solve his issues. If he plugs his internet directly, the mic works. Via router and no go. Trying to wrap our heads around this.

Are the feats glitched? I got 10 Arkham Asylum wins even though it was only my third match. I also got the defeat a player who is in movement mode feat out of nowhere.

Top Bottom