• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are any of the flying skills worth it (beyond super-speed)? I respecced out of almost all of them since the weapon skills seem so much more useful. I still have dive bomb just for the hell of it but I can't even get that to work right, and some of the other ones it doesn't even explain how they work just described what they do.

I dunno about flight, but for travel powers I've had, I seem to want to stay away from any that involve taking up a hotbar spot. I find it hard spending my points as you get higher up since you are limited in what you can have in your hot bar configs and just avoid some of the travel power stuff that would require them, but some of the travel stuff is great as it doesn't take up any hotbar usage and is automatic.

Quagm1r3

AstroLad said:
Are any of the flying skills worth it (beyond super-speed)? I respecced out of almost all of them since the weapon skills seem so much more useful. I still have dive bomb just for the hell of it but I can't even get that to work right, and some of the other ones it doesn't even explain how they work just described what they do.

A lot of skills in this game have poor/little information. I've never chosen flight but it might be a good idea to check out the DC forums for more info. I've gotten some good advice from reading them.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BattleMonkey said:
I dunno about flight, but for travel powers I've had, I seem to want to stay away from any that involve taking up a hotbar spot. I find it hard spending my points as you get higher up since you are limited in what you can have in your hot bar configs and just avoid some of the travel power stuff that would require them, but some of the travel stuff is great as it doesn't take up any hotbar usage and is automatic.
Same.

The only movement skills that I have invested in are ones that either actually improve movement (like grappling hook or super sonic speeds) or innate abilities. I suppose for DPS they could be a lot more helpful, but I can't see myself sacrificing actual powers for many of the movement-based attacks.

JWong

Banned
Flights awful for PVP. It has bad escape mechanics and slow recovery when hit. I'm a sure kill when a villain hits me.

PVE though, it is more useful. It's good to keep away from ground AOE.

I'm flight really for RP reasons. A magician usually levitates as a trait.

DY_nasty

I wouldn't say that Flight is 'awful'... getting away is lulz, but as a guy chasing you flying assholes, there's a huge blindspot. If a guy is hovering almost directly above you or flies past you relatively fast and you're not using a homing skill, its almost pointless to keep attacking.

icechai

AstroLad said:

dust off. every flyer I know swears by it. propels you out of battle into the sky.

for gadgets, knife throw is a very low energy cost aoe knockdown with decent damage. Although since i'm bow I just do the aoe arrow knockback combo :)

JWong said:
Flights awful for PVP. It has bad escape mechanics and slow recovery when hit. I'm a sure kill when a villain hits me.

Acrobatics I think is worse for getting away, if your not next to walls to shoot up with the grappling hook, you are basically fucked.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AstroLad said:
hmmm i don't even remember that one. how does it work?
50% supercharge cost and I think it takes a hotbar slot. It's near the bottom of the flight tree, waste of skill points imo.

JWong

Banned
icechai said:
dust off. every flyer I know swears by it. propels you out of battle into the sky.

for gadgets, knife throw is a very low energy cost aoe knockdown with decent damage. Although since i'm bow I just do the aoe arrow knockback combo :)
That's so far down the tree, it's pretty much useless.

Don't have room for any flight abilities anyways over my own spells.

Dreohboy

BattleMonkey said:
Acrobatics I think is worse for getting away, if your not next to walls to shoot up with the grappling hook, you are basically fucked.

Unless you're a bad ass that doesn't need to run away.

Dreohboy

So...this game does combat extremely well.... It's fun.

SOE better have some really nice expansions of their sleeves or this could get boring really fast in the next 3 months.

1. Housing (avengers mansion)
  2. Secret Identities
  3. More lands where exploration gains experience points...where there are not a lot of AI enemies.

Those are things I hope they are working on that will enhance the game.

Those have nothing to do with what I want SOE to fix in the game.

AstroLad said:
awww supercharge cost :/

Well if you don't have many supercharge abilities, you are likely always going to have the supercharge available to use it.

Dreohboy said:
So...this game does combat extremely well.... It's fun.

SOE better have some really nice expansions of their sleeves or this could get boring really fast in the next 3 months.

1. Housing (avengers mansion)
  2. Secret Identities
  3. More lands where exploration gains experience points...where there are not a lot of AI enemies.

Those are things I hope they are working on that will enhance the game.

Those have nothing to do with what I want SOE to fix in the game.

Doubt we will see any of this outside of perhaps some new areas to go to. I expect though most of the new content will be done as Alerts, Raids, etc. The whole console thing in a ways I think might hold them back from making huge massive changes or additions to the game. I expect them to mostly just add more of what already exists in the game to expand the content.

icechai

BattleMonkey said:

usually you can get to SOMETHING you can shoot up within a roll or 2, whether its just a post that you can double jump off of etc.. Of course both really can't compare to super speed's double jump speed acceleration. I just find assassinating people with acrobatics a lot easier, glide + stealth + attack + shoot up a wall to escape.

*also regarding skill points, if you're a collectable/feat whore, nothing is a waste of a skill point really because you can pretty much keep getting skill points :p

I love acrobatics for ganking heroes, but for escaping in case I get jumped by a higher level, it usually seems hard as heck to get away unless I'm next to a good sized building. Other than that I tend to just get smacked around while trying to climb or grapple onto something.

BattleMonkey said:
I love acrobatics for ganking heroes, but for escaping in case I get jumped by a higher level, it usually seems hard as heck to get away unless I'm next to a good sized building. Other than that I tend to just get smacked around while trying to climb or grapple onto something.

That reminds me, i thought I put a point into a building scaling grapple then never figured out how it worked.

I've got a tech/acrobat/controller at about level 18. I've just been spending points sorta haphazardly as they sound interesting, as I figure I'll respec at 30.

Is there any way to add more action bars like you get the ones on the side in WoW?

SaggyMonkey said:
That reminds me, i thought I put a point into a building scaling grapple then never figured out how it worked.

I've got a tech/acrobat/controller at about level 18. I've just been spending points sorta haphazardly as they sound interesting, as I figure I'll respec at 30.

Is there any way to add more action bars like you get the ones on the side in WoW?

You just hold down the jump button while next to a building and you zip up it super fast. One of the best ways to get away from a fight.

You can't add more bars, you can just configure different bars for different roles and switch between them by changing stance.

.hacked

hit level 30, no interest in teaming up with others so I am trading it into amazon for $33.

best MMO I ever played, if it did not cost me $15 a month to play I would hold onto it like PSO for dreamcast.

BattleMonkey said:
You can't add more bars, you can just configure different bars for different roles and switch between them by changing stance.

I'd figured out that part, but it'd sure be nice to dial in a few more.

.hacked said:
hit level 30, no interest in teaming up with others so I am trading it into amazon for $33.

best MMO I ever played, if it did not cost me $15 a month to play I would hold onto it like PSO for dreamcast.

You only did one character to 30? Really the content of the game is divided between the two factions, you should play a hero and villain up to 30 really to get the most out of the game.

FredFish

Acrobatics has some excellent skills. There's a skill that will pull you horizontally to the nearest wall after which you can use the vertical grapple to escape. The backwards flip kick is good because it launches your foe in the air which stops whatever attack they were doing; couple that with the grapple attack that pulls the opponent to you and it can be pretty effective. The lasso/entangle one can be handy as can the one that launches a bunch of knives to knockdown up to three opponents. Of course the problem is, as always, how precious each power slot is. Loadout is such a quandry in this game.

Foxix said:
Great games tonight Bajan! Also a serious and major thank you once again to FredFish.

You have no idea how bad the flash was dominating us. It's really amazing how one extra player and a stance swap can turn the tables so completely.

That was fun :) We weren't entirely unscathed, there was a revive or two in there, but yeah we did well. Thinking about it after I'm kinda surprised we pulled it off...a lvl 28, lvl 27 and lvl 23 took down a lvl 25 Icon. Good stuff :D

.hacked

BattleMonkey said:
You only did one character to 30? Really the content of the game is divided between the two factions, you should play a hero and villain up to 30 really to get the most out of the game.

I won't get another one to 30 before the end of my free month =/

If this game was free to play I'd keep it forever. I really did enjoy it.

Smokey

I don't know shit about DC but I'm thinking of getting this anyway because the concept sounds interesting. And it's a MMO on PS3. I've been reading that you can level up to 30 pretty quickly. Does the game not encourage grouping? Just seems odd to me that in a MMO one could get to the cap very quickly, and do it solo if they wanted. Also at level 30...what can you do?

And you can't voice chat?

Maaseru

Banned
Whats the deal with the oolon* alert? Everytime I try theres is nothing we can do, why?

Also anyone with nature use shapeshifting at all? I haven't picked one ability from that tree since last time I played WoW I was a druid and didn't want the "same". I'm lvl 25 now but ever since 20 when I get a skill point or ability I don't know how to spend it? I've been getting the innate iconic abilities, only.

JWong said:

Flight is awesome in PvP. I mean, 2/3rds of the time a ganker won't be able to follow you up in the sky, and it's nice to hover above all the other players choosing when and where to strike.

I've been caught by much higher level gankers trying to kill me, but they hardly ever ground me. I just slowly fly away as they watch helplessly from below.

hermit7

Maaseru said:
Whats the deal with the oolon* alert? Everytime I try theres is nothing we can do, why?

Also anyone with nature use shapeshifting at all? I haven't picked one ability from that tree since last time I played WoW I was a druid and didn't want the "same". I'm lvl 25 now but ever since 20 when I get a skill point or ability I don't know how to spend it? I've been getting the innate iconic abilities, only.

I shapeshift a bit. I am mainly a healer, but when going DPS it allows me to increase my damage and do some emergency healing if the other is out of power. (This is Gorilla Form) when in the healing stance I shift to the Insectoid form because it increases your critical healing chance.

Overall I find it useful depending on the circumstance.

.hacked said:

Why did you buy an MMO if you never had any interest in grouping with people? Id suggest giving it a try and tackle the level 30 content.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Smokey said:
I don't know shit about DC but I'm thinking of getting this anyway because the concept sounds interesting. And it's a MMO on PS3. I've been reading that you can level up to 30 pretty quickly. Does the game not encourage grouping? Just seems odd to me that in a MMO one could get to the cap very quickly, and do it solo if they wanted. Also at level 30...what can you do?

Just get it. I'm getting it today

JWong

Banned
lastplayed said:
Nah flight is awesome in PvP. I mean, 2/3rds of the time a ganker won't be able to follow you up in the sky, and it's nice to hover above all the other players choosing when and where to strike.

I've been caught by much higher level gankers trying to kill me, but they hardly ever ground me. I just slowly fly away as they watch helplessly from below.
100% of the time, they'll stun you and then hardlock you. You can't escape.

theta11

BattleMonkey said:
Doubt we will see any of this outside of perhaps some new areas to go to. I expect though most of the new content will be done as Alerts, Raids, etc. The whole console thing in a ways I think might hold them back from making huge massive changes or additions to the game. I expect them to mostly just add more of what already exists in the game to expand the content.

I don't think it being on console stops those kinds of changes as the game is played completely off the hard drive. Unless you mean in terms of update delivery I don't see much of a problem. They do need to add more Alerts, Raids etc., But I'd really enjoy and addition of another city for an expansion or update the current ones since they are pretty bland. =(

Maaseru

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I'm hoping we get Warhawk like support and expasion packs. The game really lends itself to that, but I fear the DLC or expasion will come to late. And by that I mean more that 2 or 3 months.

I hope it goes like Warhawk, but not like let say Castlevania:HoD because the DLC for that game was too little too late.

JWong said:
100% of the time, they'll stun you and then hardlock you. You can't escape.

Yeah they stun you, but I escape the stun and fly away. I'll Fraps it next time if you don't believe me. :p

It all comes down to play style and preference. Flying isn't awful for PvP. I've tried all three movement modes and think the other two are awful. I hated not being able to just fly straight up.

DY_nasty

Smokey said:

I wasn't the biggest DC head either but I'm loving this. You can get to 30 in about two days if you're really hardcore about, but to the casual player its not going to happen anywhere near that fast.

Voice chat is buggy right now for the PS3. It works... sometimes. At 30, there's more PvP stuff, more equipment/inv, raids/duos/hard alerts (why I'm having so much fun), and stuff like that.

The game really encourages groups too. Doesn't matter if you're level 30 with some high end gear - 3 or more guys in a group, working together, can fuck you up. Its like that for a lot of things too. There's no penalty for soloing, and the entire campaign can be done alone, but the game really shines when you're in a group. Also, there's nothing quick like a huge PvP brawl... Dropping out the sky into Amusement Mile and letting cat ass heroes know that visiting hours are over.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
lastplayed said:
Yeah they stun you, but I escape the stun and fly away. I'll Fraps it next time if you don't believe me. :p

It all comes down to play style and preference. Flying isn't awful for PvP. I've tried all three movement modes and think the other two are awful. I hated not being able to just fly straight up.

Yeah i know what you mean, racing around looks cool, but flying is just the best way to travel.

DY_nasty

Cryo+TK Bolt combo crits are godlike

wish there was a list of other great power combinations... I think Pyrokinesis boosts the fire damage an enemy takes, could be dead wrong though.

Nightz

oldschoolpinball said:
what exactly comes with the ps3 version fo this game and do I have to have a credit card attached or can i use psn cards?
It comes with the game and a voucher to activate your 30 day trial. The PS3 version uses PSN money, so no credit card needed.

Maaseru said:
I'm hoping we get Warhawk like support and expasion packs. The game really lends itself to that, but I fear the DLC or expasion will come to late. And by that I mean more that 2 or 3 months.

2 or 3 months seems fine. MMO's don't normally toss out content updates on a constant basis, it can take months to get significant additions. It's sad to see people asking for new content already when it's been out a little over a week only.

For what we know so far for it's first month is supposed to be the auction house. Other things are supposed to be in the works such as idle animations per stance, UI updates, and other things not mentions so far.

JWong

Banned
lastplayed said:

You fly away at super slow speeds while they destroy half your health, then ground you again to kill you. Practically any special attack will ground you.

Top Bottom