• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

The novelty has worn off, and I'm not longer excited about this game, or finding it 'fun' as an MMO. Its great as a game, but its not grabbing me as an MMO. Won't be resubbing, and feel a bit disappointed in having bought the game. First time in a long time I've felt that way.

oktarb

ChronicleX said:
1 - Limitied abilities is the game design. It is balanced around that, how is that a PC limitation? Both versions could have 12 skills easy but it would not be balanced.

I'm not convinced this is game design. I think that its designed this way so that the PS3 version is even possible. I do not think they sat down and said "You know what let's limit the amount of powers they have." I think they were limited due to the capabilities of a controller. I think the sucked almost every possible controller input command possible and built from there up. If this was a PC to PS3 port then this wouldn't be the case.

Doesn't matter that you use a controller on a PC, that's a choice. You can use the mouse and key board too - but wait there's no mouse cursor on the PC version unless you're in a menu. You cannot target anything with the mouse in game. Does that sound like a limitation a console has or a PC. To me that's another clear indicator the PC is suffering from a console limitation.

Of course Sony Dev and jump in and correct any of us any time. I would more than love the schooling :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the pc version is unequivocally superior just on graphics alone.

now if you have comfy couch reasons, friends on ps3, or no rig then ok but otherwise it's a no-brainer

jogarrr

So I've been playing Shapeshifter for a while and I decided to record some of the details of the powers.
Posting here in case anyone is interested in the dirty details of the Shapeshifting tree.

Shapeshifting

Roar - (damage role) damage + stun / 3s duration / 3 ticks of damage
(healing role) self heal + stun / 3s duration / 3 ticks of healing (self)

Metabolism - 4s duration / 4s cooldown / 5 ticks of healing (group)

Swarm Shield - 15s duration / 22s cooldown
/ 100% damage reduction for x damage (group) / stronger "heal" than metabolism

Hive Mind - 24s duration / 45s cooldown
15 critical hit damage - group
100 heal critical amount - group
+29% of restoration - group

Carnage - 15s duration / 45s cooldown
100 weapon attack critical hit chance - group
100 critical hit chance - group
15 critical hit damage - group
15 weapon attack critical hit damage - group

Pterosaur Form - breakout on activation / basic flight / increased power regeneration
/ no weapon attacks or combos / no ability to block (or breakout)

Pterosaur Form Powers
1 - Gouge - damage / knockdown
2 - Wing Buffet - damage / knockdown
3 - Screech - damage / cone
4 - Prehistoric Might - same as carnage? (no buff in buff window) / 60s cooldown
5 - Return to Normal

Canine Form - breakout on activation / +0.3 Run Speed/ increased power regeneration
/ no weapon attacks or combos

Canine Form Powers:
1 - Thrash - damage / knockdown
2 - Fling - damage / knockdown
3 - Metabolism - 120s cooldown / self only
4 - Sneak - 30s duration / 30s cooldown / usable in combat / metabolism does not break stealth
5 - Return to Normal

Primal Wolf Form - breakout on activation / basic superspeed
/ 12 critical hit damage / 12 weapon attack critical hit damage

Gains the following after ko'ing an enemy:
50 weapon attack critical hit chance / group / 60s duration
50 critical hit chance / group / 60s duration

Can use the following skills within the shapeshifting power tree:
Roar / Carnage / Regeneration (sc) / Rampage (sc) / Return to Normal

Can also use iconic powers, activatable powers from the superspeed tree,
and non-heal powers from the plants tree.

Primal Wolf Combos:
Hold melee x4
Hold range x4 (this is a melee combo / no ranged attacks for Primal Wolf)

Insectoid Form - breakout on activation / basic flight / 45 heal crit amount
Can use the following skills within the shapeshifting power tree:
Roar(heal) / Metabolism / Swarm Shield / Hive Mind / Carnage / Regeneration (sc) / Rampage (sc)

Insectiod Form Combos:
Tap melee x3
Tap melee x2, Hold melee
Tap melee, Hold melee
Hold melee - pbaoe knockback
Hold range - cone damage

Regeneration (supercharge) - 50% sc cost
breakout on activation
heals power and health for all group members

Rampage (supercharge) - 50% sc cost / 12s duration
breakout on activation
250 weapon attack critical hit chance
50 weapon attack critical hit damage
self heal over the duration

Gorilla Form (supercharge) - 25% sc cost / 45s duration / basic acrobatics
breakout on activation
+25% hp / increased defense, healing recieved
can use all powers (except other forms), can use activatable powers from the acrobatics tree

Gorilla Form Combos:
Tap melee x5
Hold melee x3
Hold range - pbaoe knockback
tap range - charged ranged attack

-----

* NOTE - 100 critical hit chance / 100 weapon critical hit chance means
(1+100%)*(current crit chance) = 2*(current crit chance)
not 100% crit chance :p

oktarb said:
I'm not convinced this is game design. I think that its designed this way so that the PS3 version is even possible. I do not think they sat down and said "You know what let's limit the amount of powers they have." I think they were limited due to the capabilities of a controller. I think the sucked almost every possible controller input command possible and built from there up. If this was a PC to PS3 port then this wouldn't be the case.

Doesn't matter that you use a controller on a PC, that's a choice. You can use the mouse and key board too - but wait there's no mouse cursor on the PC version unless you're in a menu. You cannot target anything with the mouse in game. Does that sound like a limitation a console has or a PC. To me that's another clear indicator the PC is suffering from a console limitation.

Of course Sony Dev and jump in and correct any of us any time. I would more than love the schooling :)

The game was designed from the ground up for both, so um yea, it is game design and balance both. They didn't create a game and then sit back and go, time to neuter it for consoles. The game was designed for limited power sets especially with how limited the upgrade paths you have and the design of multi roles in single powers for stance switching.

They were limited? Of course, but again that is part of the whole design from the get go, and that is the design in which they had to balance the game in.

I don't doubt that since the game is now on separate systems basically that they will make changes unique to each one. UI enhancements are on the way, but I doubt they will change fundamental gameplay aspects such as having more powers just for PC

oktarb said:

You can target with the mouse on the PC, its just not point + click like wow because its a DIFFERENT GAME. Second L2 + 4 buttons, and R2+4 buttons is the 8 possible skills, nothing is stopping them from using L2+R2+ 4 buttons for the rest. So no, the gamepad is not a limitation, the skills where a design choice and I am glad it exists.

Geeze you bloody sony fanboys defending your console port to the grave... *sigh*

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finally got some good stuff from the vault. Now i have a Joker Hoodie and speed boots. So my flyer can be a speedster. pretty cool.

Foxix Von

Got to level 30 last night and man, they really start piling the missions on THICK. I'm pretty overwhelmed and I'm not even sure where to start! Really looking forwards to some endgame raids and stuff with some gaffers once I get the gear necessary. The duos are surprisingly fun too, thanks killthee!

For now I'll slap a picture if my #1 evil-doer, Penumbra.

0tIYh.jpg

Alright, so I queue for Legends: Arkham Asylum. My turn comes up, I go in, match is already almost over, whatever don't care immensely.
Match finishes, so I queue up for the lowest level Alert instance.
5 minutes later it tells me my queue for Legends: Ace Chemicals is up.
Confused, since I didn't queue for that, I go into the duty tab and go to queue up for the Alert again.
I click the first available Alert and it immediately tells me my Alert instance is ready. I go in and it sends me to Ace Chemicals
One third of the way into the Ace Chemicals match, the game crashes.

That is an impressive amount of shit screwing up.

OK, so is there a hero league on the PS3 Redemption server? I loosely made one a while ago, but I'm not the guy to lead a group on this game :p

Again, the main character is EspressoJonez

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any Heroes on Zero Hour want to do, uh, anything pretty much? I'm L30 Controller but I'd be up for anything really. Alerts, monster-hunting, earlier missions w/e.

So I've been reading the reviews and the comments about this game and for the first time I find myself in a strange position.
I agree with most of the concerns:
-Buggy
-Mic Problems
-How will content ever be sufficient and regular enough to keep us hooked past the first few months?
-Social tools implementation is rather poor.
-$15 a month for an action game?

However, I haven't been this plugged into a game this much for a looong time. I played WOW for like 6 months (and thats the most I've EVER spent on a game), but this game has its hooks on me just like that, and it's more "game" than WOW.

To counteract the negative comments, with which I agree are detrimental, this is what has hooked me in:

-Hidden complexity. There have been like four moments during my playthrough where everything i thought I knew was turned on its head. Finding out about the difference your stance makes, the difference between PVP and PVE, the effects of your mentorship and the amount of unlockables have been incredible.
-The DC Universe is amazing. I hope they can add some Vertigo stuff too, *Sandman*.
-Some reviewers have mentioned that you don't feel like anybody in this game, however I felt like I was escalating ranks and
culminating in my entrance to the secret society of evil doers
. Feels good to be bad!
-Customization. While some people think that customization is limited in this game, I've given my toon so many different looks depending on my mood (Techno Valkyrie, Death Hooker, Robotic Assasin, Venusian Vixen, Stealthy Slut). It feels great to be able to switch back to all the styles you've unlocked at any time and I've probably spent HOURS on the style screen.
-I won't guarantee I will be playing this for months, but the current month has been really enjoyable!

My criminal alterego is Fatalie @ The Killing Joke.

oktarb

ChronicleX said:
Geeze you bloody sony fanboys defending your console port to the grave... *sigh*

heh I got a laugh out of that. I don't think anyone has ever called me a Sony fanboy. In fact PS3 is my least favorite platform. I'm a PC guy at heart followed by Xbox.

I have a question though on Supercharge. It it strictly based off of charging up on you multiplier?

As a healer I want to get certain abilities charged up quickly so I can heal more effectively. Is it better to spam a quick attack, say the basic ranged attack or do combo actually help more?

I find myself running out of power very quickly in intense boss battles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oktarb said:
heh I got a laugh out of that. I don't think anyone has ever called me a Sony fanboy. In fact PS3 is my least favorite platform. I'm a PC guy at heart followed by Xbox.

I have a question though on Supercharge. It it strictly based off of charging up on you multiplier?

As a healer I want to get certain abilities charged up quickly so I can heal more effectively. Is it better to spam a quick attack, say the basic ranged attack or do combo actually help more?

I find myself running out of power very quickly in intense boss battles.
Sounds like you need a good Controller to recharge your energy? I think it's just like how it's easy to run low on health without a good healer around.

Speaking of which....what are the best energy regen spells? I know the psychic blades and levitate both are supposed to boost a group's energy but I'm not even sure how they work. Do the people have to be in the field or "hit" by the blades/blast? Do they have to be within some range? Really curious as I'm trying to be a helpful controller back there and people don't seem to be running out of power but I'd like to be as efficient as possible.

AstroLad said:
Sounds like you need a good Controller to recharge your energy? I think it's just like how it's easy to run low on health without a good healer around.

Speaking of which....what are the best energy regen spells? I know the psychic blades and levitate both are supposed to boost a group's energy but I'm not even sure how they work. Do the people have to be in the field or "hit" by the blades/blast? Do they have to be within some range? Really curious as I'm trying to be a helpful controller back there and people don't seem to be running out of power but I'd like to be as efficient as possible.

Just use it in the vicinity and it will work. No need to connect. I have one like levitate/psychic blades and also a power that restores power to the 3 most tired people in the room.

AstroLad said:

I really don't know, I usually always aim my regen powers in the direction of team mates as I can't really tell and in intense boss fights especially it's hard to keep track of everything going on while trying to stay alive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
malingenie said:
Just use it in the vicinity and it will work. No need to connect. I have one like levitate/psychic blades and also a power that restores power to the 3 most tired people in the room.
Oh yeah I tried that one too for a little while . . . might put it back into my rotation, but it doesn't restore power to yourself right? I guess that would be too easy unless it had a huge cooldown.

What is your favorite control spell? I don't even think it has any Controller-specific bonuses but I love MassLev. When I'm paired with a decent Healer it's a pretty unstoppable force. Otherwise it can be easy to take a beating even with Grandeur on.

AstroLad said:
Oh yeah I tried that one too for a little while . . . might put it back into my rotation, but it doesn't restore power to yourself right? I guess that would be too easy unless it had a huge cooldown.

What is your favorite control spell? I don't even think it has any Controller-specific bonuses but I love MassLev. When I'm paired with a decent Healer it's a pretty unstoppable force. Otherwise it can be easy to take a beating even with Grandeur on.

When I was a mental, I loved levitation, mass histeria and the one what turns people into addicting souls, making them useless for quite a while.

With gadgets I am enjoying a combo of grenade, freezing, Warden turret for decoy and stuff.

Controllers are fun!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
malingenie said:
When I was a mental, I loved levitation, mass histeria and the one what turns people into addicting souls, making them useless for quite a while.

With gadgets I am enjoying a combo of grenade, freezing, Warden turret for decoy and stuff.

Controllers are fun!
Might be misremembering or just played it wrong, but I remember the problem I had with that hysteria line is that it seemed like you needed to waste a few points on useless spells to get to the good stuff. Might try it out again though since it's more pure Controller than MassLev I think. MassLev just wipes people out though it's awesome. I sometimes hesitate to even cast grandeur because I love getting 10+ coming right at me and then just slam them down once or twice and they're gone without even any assistance.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mercury Fred said:
OK, so is there a hero league on the PS3 Redemption server? I loosely made one a while ago, but I'm not the guy to lead a group on this game :p

Again, the main character is EspressoJonez
I don't think any of us have taken the initiative. Considering how many of us are on Redemption, we really should get things in line.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If anyone wants to finally make a Heroes League on Zero Hour (PC main PvE) just post here and we can party up and create it. I can hop on any time after 7 eastern.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
AstroLad said:

So Psychic Empowerment works now?

And I really wanted to love MassLev, but the range on the power never seemed good enough to justify all those skill points.

I made a HUGE mistake last night though. Sold off all of my might heavy equipment in favor of precision, thinking that I'd be able to rely on crowd control instead and move a bit more towards DPS. Big mistake. I was doing a lot more damage with power-related crits than I realized and when I dropped those couple hundred points in Might, I felt it in the worst way.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Chamber said:
I don't think any of us have taken the initiative. Considering how many of us are on Redemption, we really should get things in line.

Yeah, I just made a Hero Character on Redemption last night. Think I got to level 8 last night. Only had one bug, Scarecrow in the Sewers, had one of the barrels fly down the hall, and I couldn't "hold Circle" to make it disappear.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
That Bludhaven alert instance is no joke. Recommended level 24 my ass.
That is the last regular Alert I have to do. Was doing it with some 25+ people, we were kicking ass, and then they quit. :/ But yeah I usually level up a ways first.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Chamber said:
That Bludhaven alert instance is no joke. Recommended level 24 my ass.
Yeah, you need a group with the best equipment and teamwork to have a chance at level 24 lol

I'm not getting into any pvp arenas on PS3. Two days now I queue up for the first possible in all of them and for hours go by and nothing ever pops for me.

hermit7

I haven't played much this week, but I intend to jump back in this weekend maybe after I finish up Dead Space.

I want to get some Marks of Victory and get some Tier 1 gear.

darkwing

BattleMonkey said:
I'm not getting into any pvp arenas on PS3. Two days now I queue up for the first possible in all of them and for hours go by and nothing ever pops for me.

that's strange, it pops up fine for me, sometimes too often lol

Mafro

I've got both versions of this played the PS3 version for around 4 hour so far and just started the PC version tonight. Just noticed that in the PS3 version you can't move when shooting dual-wielding pistols, but you can in the PC. Odd.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
bathala said:
Thinking about getting this game.

Is it crossplatform. can ps3 user play with pc people?
Nope.

Technically it is possible, but for business reasons the servers are separated. PC version uses SOE's Station platform while the PS3 version uses PSN.

bathala

Banned
Killthee said:
Nope.

Technically it is possible, but for business reasons the servers are separated. PC version uses SOE's Station platform while the PS3 version uses PSN.
That's a shame.
I might get it from steam then

I just put the disk in my PS3 for the first time, and after inputting my game code and installing the updates, it now says, "Your hard disk drive is full" and won't let me progress any further. I have nothing on my 160gb hard drive what the heck :(

iDGoGl.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
BattleMonkey said:
Yep, still have yet to be able to access a single PVP area since I bought the game.

I'd question my connection, but Ive been getting into alerts and playing the game itself just fine...

Top Bottom