• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

JWong said:
You fly away at super slow speeds while they destroy half your health, then ground you again to kill you. Practically any special attack will ground you.

Well I can still manage to get away at times. If people always get stuck then that's not my problem. :p

man if they don't fix the lfg tool I will cancel my subscription.

Every SINGLE time I use it i get a queue at some point, I take it, and its empty. I press Y and it shows that 10 other people were once in the alert but not anymore.....so I am forced to leave the instance and wait 10minutes or whatever to queue again, where the exact same thing happens. This cycle goes on for about 45 minutes until I log off because I have done the 5 or 6 challenge missions.

We did it. Area 51 Hard Mode done in under 20 minutes with 16 seconds to spare =) Also managed to get the feat for Killing Mr Freeze in Arkham in under 90 seconds too and then we tried to do all the normal ones in under 20 mins, we failed on the chemo city one by about 2 minutes. Gah.

However that chemo place was not a total loss. I now own this gearset, overall its been a good day as I am now up to 41 skillpoints.

10wso51.jpg

Canova

Banned
ChronicleX said:
We did it. Area 51 Hard Mode done in under 20 minutes with 16 seconds to spare =) Also managed to get the feat for Killing Mr Freeze in Arkham in under 90 seconds too and then we tried to do all the normal ones in under 20 mins, we failed on the chemo city one by about 2 minutes. Gah.

However that chemo place was not a total loss. I now own this gearset, overall its been a good day as I am now up to 41 skillpoints.

10wso51.jpg

that looks badass

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Fuck this shit takes forever to install. combined with that worthless PS3 system update today.

LET ME PLAY!

Well this can't be good....installed new 3.56 firmware, loaded up the game, and once I selected my character and loaded to where I last was, 5 seconds later "Game Data Corrupt" and the PS3 just shut down.

Trying again now......

EDIT: Seems to be OK on 2nd attempt. WTF.

jogarrr

MadraptorMan said:
Just hit lvl 30 on Death & Glory. What should I do next? Hard modes? Or continue with the missions I get from my mentor?

Personally, after hitting 30 the first thing I did was finish up all the leftover pre-30 quests I had. There's a lot of options but you should definitely try to do the daily missions as often as possible.

Ignignort

CronosBlade said:
Well this can't be good....installed new 3.56 firmware, loaded up the game, and once I selected my character and loaded to where I last was, 5 seconds later "Game Data Corrupt" and the PS3 just shut down.

Trying again now......

EDIT: Seems to be OK on 2nd attempt. WTF.

Had this happen once with a Virtua Fighter save, everything loaded okay though. Nothing to worry about

MadraptorMan said:
Just hit lvl 30 on Death & Glory. What should I do next? Hard modes? Or continue with the missions I get from my mentor?

Getting best gear is usually a major goal once you max out a character. Find out whats out there that you want and begin working to achieve it to make your character as good as you can, you apparently need very good gear to help deal with stuff like the raids.

Smokey

DY_nasty said:
I wasn't the biggest DC head either but I'm loving this. You can get to 30 in about two days if you're really hardcore about, but to the casual player its not going to happen anywhere near that fast.

Voice chat is buggy right now for the PS3. It works... sometimes. At 30, there's more PvP stuff, more equipment/inv, raids/duos/hard alerts (why I'm having so much fun), and stuff like that.

The game really encourages groups too. Doesn't matter if you're level 30 with some high end gear - 3 or more guys in a group, working together, can fuck you up. Its like that for a lot of things too. There's no penalty for soloing, and the entire campaign can be done alone, but the game really shines when you're in a group. Also, there's nothing quick like a huge PvP brawl... Dropping out the sky into Amusement Mile and letting cat ass heroes know that visiting hours are over.

Fuck. I might be in there this weekend then. 30 day free trial too? Even more tempting.

Dead

well not really...yet
Looks like ive ran into some kind of game breaking bug

I was in the middle of the Poison Ivy fight, died just as I dispatched her last(?) minion, and as I revived and ran back I noticed Ivy had the "handcuff" sign so I pressed o, after I did that Robin still attacked me.

I beat him. Now it says I have to speak to Robin, but there is no prompt to speak to him, and Poison Ivy is now protected by her minions in a thorn shield with nothing for me to do. And I can't even leave the room as its sealed off.

fuck.

Varna

Dead said:
Looks like ive ran into some kind of game breaking bug

I was in the middle of the Poison Ivy fight, died just as I dispatched her last(?) minion, and as I revived and ran back I noticed Ivy had the "handcuff" sign so I pressed o, after I did that Robin still attacked me.

I beat him. Now it says I have to speak to Robin, but there is no prompt to speak to him, and Poison Ivy is now protected by her minions in a thorn shield with nothing for me to do. And I can't even leave the room as its sealed off.

fuck.

Ran into a glitch in that same area. I knocked Robin through a wall or something during the fight and I could not talk to him after. Just go to another map and come back. The whole sequence should restart.

Dead

well not really...yet
Varna said:
Ran into a glitch in that same area. I knocked Robin through a wall or something during the fight and I could not talk to him after. Just go to another map and come back. The whole sequence should restart.
Ive exited and re-entered the area a few times and its still stuck

I can't even enter the boss area where Robin and Ivy are anymore as the gate is still shut :\

edit: shiit, several reboots and god knows how many changes of area later it finally reset. Phew.

I had problems in Ivy a few days ago also with more crashes than usual so I haven't been playing but I really want to. Oh I did make a character on Killing Joke today.

elwes

Not sure if I'm spec'ed wrong, but I'm not sure how much I like my lvl 30 Fire Tank these days. My alt is a Gadgets Controller with dual pistols and I freakin' wreck mobs. I have a four to five move routine that I do on enemies that kills mobs 1-2 levels higher than me in about 5-8 seconds. Not only do I destroy in one-on-one conflicts, but it's fun to do so. My staff wielding fire tank can take on massive amounts of mobs and come out the victor with at least half of my HP left, but it just doesn't feel as fun as my alt. I haven't grouped since I figured how to actually be a tank, so maybe that will fix the fun deficiency.

Even more proof that solo'ing after 30 is pointless, I tried the Batcave mission and it's relatively apparent that I need a group. I generally have no problem eeking through dicey situations, but those mobs are no joke. :|

edit: Also, I need to get my villain on Death and Glory rolling. Now that I maxed out my first character, all I want to do is run around the city and jack up other players. Gets so boring fighting NPC mobs.

edit 2:
jogarrr said:
goldseller.png

:( Didn't take long.

Edit: WTF you can't use /ignore in this game? He's spamming nonstop and rendering chat unusable. Also, 10k for $10, I have 30k now.. Is money really in demand in this game?

Edit2: So you can ignore someone if you add them to your friends list first.

If you are close enough to them, you don't have to add them to your friend's list. Just select the Nearest person tab, find their name, and you can ignore them via the drop down menu. I agree, though...the lack of a /ignore is idiotic.

elwes said:
Even more proof that solo'ing after 30 is pointless, I tried the Batcave mission and it's relatively apparent that I need a group. I generally have no problem eeking through dicey situations, but those mobs are no joke. :|

edit: Also, I need to get my villain on Death and Glory rolling. Now that I maxed out my first character, all I want to do is run around the city and jack up other players. Gets so boring fighting NPC mobs.

Yeah, at level 30 the only thing soloable are the daily challenge missions and you don't get anything amazingly decent from completing them other than renown with factions.

Feels weird soloing to 30 then after that being unable to do pretty much anything without a full group :(

elwes

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah, at level 30 the only thing soloable are the daily challenge missions and you don't get anything amazingly decent from completing them other than renown with factions.

Feels weird soloing to 30 then after that being unable to do pretty much anything without a full group :(

Agreed. I spent the entire game solo'ing like crazy, only to feel munson'ed at cap.

I asked earlier in the thread but didn't get a response. Is there a hero league on Zero Hour and can I get an invite? Not sure how you get invited to one, but if you need my character's name, it's Kahlan.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
elwes said:
Agreed. I spent the entire game solo'ing like crazy, only to feel munson'ed at cap.

I asked earlier in the thread but didn't get a response. Is there a hero league on Zero Hour and can I get an invite? Not sure how you get invited to one, but if you need my character's name, it's Kahlan.
I am on Zero Hour. Currently Level 25 Controller and climbing. AstroLad

They REALLLLLY need to improve on the community features in-game.

kyo_daikun said:

It's a MMO, end game is always based around playing with others. Solo end game play is generally meaningless.

The only thing you can really do solo... sort of is just playing pvp matched and building influence to load up on the pvp gear even though you are playing with others, you still don't need to group to do pvp.

Varna

Dead said:
Ive exited and re-entered the area a few times and its still stuck

I can't even enter the boss area where Robin and Ivy are anymore as the gate is still shut :\

edit: shiit, several reboots and god knows how many changes of area later it finally reset. Phew.

Did you try leaving Gotham? That's what I mean.

Nightz

Well, I tried the fix that the forums recommended for the PC version and it failed. Re-installed using their installer instead of Steam like they wanted me to do, same issues. I am officially done with the PC version.

BattleMonkey said:
It's a MMO, end game is always based around playing with others. Solo end game play is generally meaningless.

There needs to be a better way of going about it. It's a pain to continually ask for level 30 help in the open world until I've got a full party, and waiting in queue for Arena's is a lengthy and problematic process. I've gone from having a ton of PVE content to do, grouping up if the situation arises, to sitting around waiting and waiting just so I can continue to play. This is what is wrong with MMO's. This is why I always stop playing after a few months, because unless I've got a bunch of friends also playing I'm continually forced to waste my time finding groups, and if grouping isn't streamlined and easy, then it means a lot of waiting when I should be playing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bootaaay said:
There needs to be a better way of going about it. It's a pain to continually ask for level 30 help in the open world until I've got a full party, and waiting in queue for Arena's is a lengthy and problematic process. I've gone from having a ton of PVE content to do, grouping up if the situation arises, to sitting around waiting and waiting just so I can continue to play. This is what is wrong with MMO's. This is why I always stop playing after a few months, because unless I've got a bunch of friends also playing I'm continually forced to waste my time finding groups, and if grouping isn't streamlined and easy, then it means a lot of waiting when I should be playing.
it is weird to me that there's not a stronger more cohesive gaf community for this game, but i blame it entirely on the terrible social system in the game.

anyway, i'm 27 now . . . gettin there

AstroLad said:
it is weird to me that there's not a stronger more cohesive gaf community for this game, but i blame it entirely on the terrible social system in the game.

Players split on different servers, and split between different factions.

Perhaps find one of the larger more active leagues on your server to help get into the games you want, I accidentally accepted invite into one and it had like over 200 members. The GAF Villains league on Killing Joke will sometimes only have a handful of people on it.

Bootaaay said:

Well usual MMO issues, especially if you come into it with strong emphasis on much of it Solo. WoW was the same way in that you can solo through it all but once you max out to really do anything interesting after was to grind PVP battlegrounds or group up with bunch of people for raids.

Also you might want to try doing Alerts with groups or easier at lvl 30 you get access to Duos which only need two people to run so they are fast to get into.

Biggest problem right now is that one levels too fast in DC Universe compared to most MMO's. Lot of people seem to be rushing through it pretty easily with mostly solo play content and getting to 30 and are feeling done. I plan on doing several character to max to try out all the content on both factions and to try out the different power/weapon combos at least, but I can see it being a problem for the games longevity with people wondering "what next?"

AstroLad said:

Yeah! I played with some GAFers and it's just much more fun with a group than solo. SOE really needs to sort this out and fast. It's baffling to me that so many of the aspects of the game are so solid yet the social aspect of this MMO is broken in almost every way =/

darksunpr

little help here guys, I bought the game last night, went to play with my xbox wired controller and no luck ( yes I downloaded the drivers needed), went to the options in the launcher and it recognizes de controller but still cant use it ingame. Halp

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
darksunpr said:
little help here guys, I bought the game last night, went to play with my xbox wired controller and no luck ( yes I downloaded the drivers needed), went to the options in the launcher and it recognizes de controller but still cant use it ingame. Halp
I think you might also have to turn on a setting in game.

Jest

Does anyone have any tips for Mental Brawler ? Like what Mentalist powers make sense for a brawler and well.. wtf do I do in parties?

I'm presuming it is best to go to the Game Card / Prepaid CC route with SoE? I've never had trouble with them in the past, but I know people who have (double billing, billing on long cancelled accounts, etc.).

Jest said:
Does anyone have any tips for Mental Brawler ? Like what Mentalist powers make sense for a brawler and well.. wtf do I do in parties?

The various terror/fear like powers are good to use as it causes your next attacks to deal bonus damage. One of the powers at the bottom of the tree causes all enemies around you to get affected by fear and for several seconds after you deal extra damage. Use it and then unleash the pwn.

Hex

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
No. PC version uses SOE Station Pass system. The PS3 version uses PSN

Knew it would have been too good.
Want to do PS3 (finally will have one again this weekend) but PC has lifetime subs, hard to choose.

Hex said:
Knew it would have been too good.
Want to do PS3 (finally will have one again this weekend) but PC has lifetime subs, hard to choose.

The PS3 version is for people who do not have a PC. If you have a PC that can run this, get the PC version. The PS3 version is a Console port.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just hit level 30 whooo. Hit me up on Zero Hour fools. I know there are a ton of disparate Zero Hour peeps on here. I AM ASTROLAD

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Chamber said:
Wait over an hour to get into Oolong Island alert
Get to the end
Game freezes

FML.
That alert is bugged. If Tornado whatshisname kills off your group and you all respawn outside of the room that he's in, the door won't unlock and you'll essentially be dead in the water and have to quit. Just a heads up lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When you've maxed out your weapon, can you do other weapon abilities and still be granted the innate bonus even if you don't use the weapon?

oktarb

ChronicleX said:
The PS3 version is for people who do not have a PC. If you have a PC that can run this, get the PC version. The PS3 version is a Console port.

I couldn't disagree more. As someone who has both I went straight for the PS3. One it seems more designed for the console than a PC - or so it seems. Two, I wanted to really try a solid attempt and a console MMO. I have often thought I would be upset playing DC on the PC as it suffers from limitations that at least kind of make sense on the console.

For example is the limited abilities bar(s). On the console this makes sense because the controller is more limited. PC MMOs however have countless bars and options because the keyboard allows for a wide variety of inputs.

They obviously had to try and make two camps happy which is very hard but to say one is just a port strikes me as inaccurate.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DY_nasty said:
That alert is bugged. If Tornado whatshisname kills off your group and you all respawn outside of the room that he's in, the door won't unlock and you'll essentially be dead in the water and have to quit. Just a heads up lol
Not the only door that happens with. I got locked out of room near the start because I died. Thankfully the other 3 guys stayed alive.

oktarb said:
I couldn't disagree more. As someone who has both I went straight for the PS3. One it seems more designed for the console than a PC - or so it seems. Two, I wanted to really try a solid attempt and a console MMO. I have often thought I would be upset playing DC on the PC as it suffers from limitations that at least kind of make sense on the console.

For example is the limited abilities bar(s). On the console this makes sense because the controller is more limited. PC MMOs however have countless bars and options because the keyboard allows for a wide variety of inputs.

They obviously had to try and make two camps happy which is very hard but to say one is just a port strikes me as inaccurate.

1 - Limitied abilities is the game design. It is balanced around that, how is that a PC limitation? Both versions could have 12 skills easy but it would not be balanced.

2 - PS3 Version is limited not the PC one. PC can have 8x AA, 60 FPS V-sync. PS3 Version? Your lucky to maintain 30fps without a crash

3 - The keyboard and mouse control is fine and PC's can use gamepads.

4 - Due to 1 2 and 3, you could not be more wrong even if you studied how to be more wrong for 5 years and graduated with a masters.

Anywho. Just sticking this here. I am getting alot of "NO WAI"'s in my direction when I tell peeps I done Area 51 HA in under 20 mins, same with killing freeze in arkham in under 90 seconds, system breaker etc. So I decided to screenshot it =)

351hj5x.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
AstroLad said:
When you've maxed out your weapon, can you do other weapon abilities and still be granted the innate bonus even if you don't use the weapon?
Yeah, I've got rifles and hand blasters right now.

Top Bottom