• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

dejan

I've been watching the gameplay videos linked in the OP for the past almost 2 hours and wow ... DC Universe Online looks like something I'd probably enjoy. I can't believe this has been developed by SOE.

Holy shit. Finished the Steam install and was greeted with a 2.6gig "patch". Wow. Now that's bad. At least once it's done I'll be able to play. I hope.

DiatribeEQ said:
Holy shit. Finished the Steam install and was greeted with a 2.6gig "patch". Wow. Now that's bad. At least once it's done I'll be able to play. I hope.

Awww that sucks, I get about 2 1/2 hours to play on weekdays right after I get home from work. 2.6gb will probably take me 4-5 hours to download.

hermit7

Got in and started my character. Going with an Ice/Martial Arts Tank following the hero route.

Killing Joke server (PS3)

Overall not much new info considering my character is only level 5. Despite that though having a lot of fun.

I'm really debating this as I'm much more familiar with the Marvel Universe but besides that, how is the communication handled in the PS3 version?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
moop2000 said:
I'm really debating this as I'm much more familiar with the Marvel Universe but besides that, how is the communication handled in the PS3 version?
There's a chatlog with several channels you can use to communicate. The default channel only sends out your message to nearby faction (hero/villain) members, the shout channel will broadcast your message to everyone within the same area that shares your faction, and the versus channel will broadcast your message to everyone in the overworld including the opposite faction. I think there's also a channel for group chat and for league chat. Channels are triggered by typing a command before your message ("/shout", "/versus", "/group", etc....). You can have multiple tabs open in the in game chat log and you can turn on and off specific channels if you wish.

USB keyboards can be used for typing or you can use the on screen XMB keyboard.

Voice chat is open mic and is only available when you're in a group.

animlboogy said:
The action based battles in this sound like what Champions was supposed to be before the MMO elite whiners put a stop to that and we got what we got (faster, but more traditional queuing).

Is it fun to fight? Or button mash-y?
I wouldn't say it's button mashy, there's quite a few combos in the game and if you want your power regen to kick in you have to keep the combo meter up. The closest thing the combat reminds me of is X-Men Legends. It also feels a little bit like Hulk Ultimate Destruction without all the crazy destruction.

OK, wow. I got out of my character creation pit and decided to toy around with one. I joined the PvE Redemption server and I'm in the middle of the Scarecrow mission. Really fun and wacky just running into people doing the same mission.

The only thing that's really tripping me up is that communication with other players seems a little daunting (not doing it, but how)-- from messages to "leagues" to trying to play with friends. I'm going to grab a bluetooth headset I think.

Any other GAFers on the Redemption server?

Hammer said:
Amazingly, it allowed me to create both a hero and a villain on The Killing Joke (ps3 pvp).

Why wouldnt it?

Anyways just picked up my copy, 2 year old is watching dora so ill have to sneak the tv to get this install and patch process going. What server (ps3) are most of you going to?

FredFish

Those of you rolling characters should record them on the google spreadsheet linked in post #2. For PS3 PvP Killing Joke seems to be it and Redemption server for PvE

Got to admit I just can't stomach PvP server, trying to do the races would be a bloody nightmare if you have someone who won't leave you alone.

Revolutionary said:
Sigh, I've fallen through the world 3 times in the past hour. I don't think the server is holding up. :lol

That happend in the beta no clue if its a server issue or a bug. Only certain parts of the citys textures would load and the parts with no textures was a death pit. Im sure it will get fixed.

This game doesnt require a credit card or check card does it? I dont want anything else game related connected to my accounts.

kyo_daikun said:
Got to admit I just can't stomach PvP server, trying to do the races would be a bloody nightmare if you have someone who won't leave you alone.

I actually enjoyed the PvP server more but there was a few times in the beta where one high level guy would camp the area I was trying to do a mission and kept killing me. I think once you hit a high enough level where you can take them on or if you have a group it would be a blast.

Hammer said:
Amazingly, it allowed me to create both a hero and a villain on The Killing Joke (ps3 pvp).

You can make as many characters on any server you want, im sure the limit was going to be 6 (1 per mentor) but I have seen people mentioning 16, can anyone confirm the limit?

Outtrigger888 said:
I actually enjoyed the PvP server more but there was a few times in the beta where one high level guy would camp the area I was trying to do a mission and kept killing me. I think once you hit a high enough level where you can take them on or if you have a group it would be a blast.

I see what you mean, but there will be times when I just want to go and do a mission nice and simple and I know im going to get harassed from random fools :lol

I like having the option I guess rather than always having to be on my guard.

yencid

The OP should really use a Faq of frequently asked questions from the beta thread.

for example (ill list some)

press select to chat
/shout: speak to everyone
/v: Speak to villains
/invite ________: invite + the characters name

Once you reach level 9 (or 10) you can choose an upgrade to your movement type
Flight gets super flight which makes you fly faster​
Speedsters use Super speed (when you jump you can pretty much jump across buildings)
Acrobat has a glide technique that pretty much lets you fly around the world
also has a hookshot that gets you up buildings extremely fast (great way to scape a fight)​

those are just some examples. Im going to wait a while to get this but i sure as hell will.

kyo_daikun said:
I like having the option I guess rather than always having to be on my guard.

The PvE server has the option to turn a PvP flag on or off. If your on the ps3 version you just hit up on the D pad. Or theres a command you can type into the chat box. I think its /pvp or somthing of that nature.

Purchased and downloaded it last night from D2D. D2D only gave me the installer, which then downloads the full game from a Sony server.

The download was 12.1 GB. Does anyone know if there's much of an update as of today? I won't be able to check it out until later.

d0c_zaius

hermit7 said:
Got in and started my character. Going with an Ice/Martial Arts Tank following the hero route.

Killing Joke server (PS3)

Overall not much new info considering my character is only level 5. Despite that though having a lot of fun.

Hammer said:

Yay killing joke!

I'm Nemesis on there (villains):D but I made a hero too.

Helznicht

The Avatar portion of the player creator look very powerful, but the powers section seems limited (as all MMO supers games have been). I thought this game would be the one where you could have green lantern type powers, but hes not even an option in the templates.......... :(

yencid

Helznicht said:
The Avatar portion of the player creator look very powerful, but the powers section seems limited (as all MMO supers games have been). I thought this game would be the one where you could have green lantern type powers, but hes not even an option in the templates.......... :(
They have mentioned that one of the possibilities they hope to implement later on is some kind of event where you become a lanter, if only for that event.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Helznicht said:
Additional powers is definitely one of the expansions this game needs to be great. I mean, there's some really basic ones missing from the game.

Kintaco

This thread needs more pics of people's characters. Then again there probably isn't an option for this in the ps3 version? I wouldn't mind seeing how creative people are with their toons!

ferr

Chamber said:
Additional powers is definitely one of the expansions this game needs to be great. I mean, there's some really basic ones missing from the game.

Yeah, I felt pretty underwhelmed by the selection.

jogarrr

Just to let the few people who might be interested:
'Virtue and Vice' seems like it is the Unofficial PvE RP server for PC / NA.
and 'Death and Glory' seems like the unofficial PvP RP server for PC / NA.

kyo_daikun said:
You can make as many characters on any server you want, im sure the limit was going to be 6 (1 per mentor) but I have seen people mentioning 16, can anyone confirm the limit?

I was able to make seven before I stopped so it's definitely more than six.

Kintaco said:
This thread needs more pics of people's characters. Then again there probably isn't an option for this in the ps3 version? I wouldn't mind seeing how creative people are with their toons!

Flurrie (Ice / Dual Pistols / Acrobatics / Villian / Lex) :
Flurrie.png

daebo

Well, FFXIV let me down... Now to play this.

I bought the PC version. Does it play well with the 360 controller?

There is a lifetime subscription... Is there an expiration on that or can you purchase it any time? I'd like to try it at least for the month before settling in on a 200 purchase.

jogarrr

daebo said:
There is a lifetime subscription... Is there an expiration on that or can you purchase it any time? I'd like to try it at least for the month before settling in on a 200 purchase.

I haven't seen any word on any amount of time that the Lifetime sub will be offered for. I've been wondering myself. Hopefully, it will always be an option.

I am loving this so far. Evil here and Lex Luthor is my mentor. He sent me to test a mutation chemical on college students. As soon as you attack them, the MetroPD start to come in and shoot. Funny part is that a ton of people are doing this mission and it is sheer chaos. Cars are crashing and flying into each other. Students are running everywhere. People are causing more and more police to fight. It is hilarious.

Is there a key to take a screenshot, print screen seems to take a black image screenshot.

demonkaze

Only got to lv 5 before I logged but I love it so far. Decided to go with a dual wielding fire hero with wonder woman as my mentor.

bestami

Watched some videos of this. I'm kinda interested in it but i'm not going to drop 50$ on an mmo without trying first. Is there some sort of trial program for this game ? I missed the beta.

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
I am loving this so far. Evil here and Lex Luthor is my mentor. He sent me to test a mutation chemical on college students. As soon as you attack them, the MetroPD start to come in and shoot. Funny part is that a ton of people are doing this mission and it is sheer chaos. Cars are crashing and flying into each other. Students are running everywhere. People are causing more and more police to fight. It is hilarious.

Is there a key to take a screenshot, print screen seems to take a black image screenshot.
The beta was fun, but the world was so barren. It will be interesting to see how the world looks like with way more people in it.

Just bought my copy.

bestami said:
Watched some videos of this. I'm kinda interested in it but i'm not going to drop 50$ on an mmo without trying first. Is there some sort of trial program for this game ? I missed the beta.
$35 on DAD with wootdc

Top Bottom