• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DurielBlack said:
Is there an invisibilty/stealth power in the game? Just wondering since I was planning on trying out a PvP server.
The gadgetry powerset has a stealth ability.

I have never been really into MMOs, except for Guild Wars, mostly because of the combat. I am loving the combat in this game. The best I can describe it is that it is really frenzied with a ton of enemies. I think what mostly what I disliked about combat in other MMOs is pressing a key, waiting a few seconds for a counter-attack or cooldown. This game is just balls to the wall combat. It reminds me more of Marvel Ultimate alliance fighting then anything else, but a million times better.

Dreohboy

The beta was fun, but the world was so barren.
My biggest concern. Are there no "regular" humans walking around in the city areas? How are you suppose to appear "super" without lots of non-supers?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mercury Fred said:
Gah, anyone know how to retrieve in game mail on PS3? I have no idea =/
Go to a safe house (police department for heroes, clubs for villains). The room with the headquarters transporter next to the vendors has the mailboxes. HQ also has a set of mailboxes.

Killthee said:
Go to a safe house (police department for heroes, clubs for villains). The room with the headquarters transporter next to the vendors has the mailboxes. HQ also has a set of mailboxes.
Thanks again. Sorry for all the noob questions :p

It's my understanding that the collector's edition comes with a 10 day free trial code/guest pass type thing. If anyone is willing, I'd love to give this game a shot. Looks right up my ally I just am hesitant to get back into an MMO, but if the combat is as fun as you guys are making it seem compared to the usual MMO combat systems, I might be in for a treat. (PC preferably but I also have a PS3).

So is the world really that barren? There's no NPC civilians walking around or anything?

CaLe

Hey guys, so what server are you all on with the PC version ? I'd love to join or get a guild going. (if there's guilds in the game).

Dreohboy

Guess it's down to two servers for me.

These are Role Playing Servers (Servers where the gamers attempt to be in character when they play).

Zero Hour has a Higher Population but Virtue & Vice has more RP leagues.

I think I'll be joining Virtue and Vice, but I'm not saying my name til I'm able to create the character.

Nightz

CaLe said:
Hey guys, so what server are you all on with the PC version ? I'd love to join or get a guild going. (if there's guilds in the game).
Looks like we're going Zero Hour for PvE. Not sure if the guys doing PvP have decided on a server yet. This info's in the second post of the thread.

Weenerz

Banned
Almost time for me to go home, having purchased and registered the code I got from D2D within the client itself. Did I screw myself? Before leaving for work, I couldn't find a way to subscirbe to the game without SOE trying to sell the game to me twice.

Weenerz said:
Almost time for me to go home, having purchased and registered the code I got from D2D within the client itself. Did I screw myself? Before leaving for work, I couldn't find a way to subscirbe to the game without SOE trying to sell the game to me twice.

You need to go through the motions of applying for a standard monthly subscription as if you had no free month at all, then it deducts the cost of the first month from the bill (IE Free Month).

It confused me too. Just do it then cancel straight away.

Weenerz

Banned
ChronicleX said:
You need to go through the motions of applying for a standard monthly subscription as if you had no free month at all, then it deducts the cost of the first month from the bill (IE Free Month).

It confused me too. Just do it then cancel straight away.
The monthly fee doesn't worry me as much as paying another $50 for the game but I will toy it when I get home. Wish my work computer would let me sign into the website to see what to do. Bah.

Epcott

I was thinking of buying this game (PS3), and buying a yearly subscription,
but HOLYSHIT143.99AYEAR??

I'm not sure if I should buy it now, or if it's safe to invest that much in the long run.
What really sucks is that I had hoped this would to be my first MMO :(

How packed are the servers?
I'm worried about investing in a game in which the community dwindles to numbers too low for enjoyment. But on the other hand, I can pay monthly (but that would be more costly).

Hmmmm...
(Edit: is there a 30 day free trial or something?)

Does the PC version run well? If I get it I'd like to be able to max it with 60FPS with some AA.

I have:

i7 920
Radeon 4890 1GB
6 GB RAM (soon to be 12)

I read the PC requirements/recommended but just wondering if anyone would know if I will be able to max it out with good framerate.

Also are there respec options in the game? I hate not being able to undo a skill that I end up hating or never use.

CaLe

Nightz said:
Looks like we're going Zero Hour for PvE. Not sure if the guys doing PvP have decided on a server yet. This info's in the second post of the thread.

Thanks man.

I'll post my name here as soon as I'm done creating my dude or dudette.

jogarrr

Eaten By A Grue said:
Where do the screenshots go in the Steam version when you take them with F9? I wanted to show off my char.

Documents -> My Games -> DC Universe Online -> DCGame -> ScreenShots

MisterAnderson said:
I read the PC requirements/recommended but just wondering if anyone would know if I will be able to max it out with good framerate.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to run it fine maxed at 1080p. You'd have to turn off in-game VSync and use D3DOverrider for VSync to get 60fps.

Chris_C

I seem to remember the dev team constantly saying that secret identities would be in the game, but I have't been able to find any information whatsoever on them. Can anyone enlighten me?

CaLe

Guys, it says that choosing a mentor affects the weapons available.

Does this mean that I should take Superman as a mentor if I want to be a fire-throwing hero, since he's the closest to my desired abilities ?

jogarrr said:
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to run it fine maxed at 1080p. You'd have to turn off in-game VSync and use D3DOverrider for VSync to get 60fps.

I use D3DOverrider for all my VSync needs so no worries there. Damnit... definitely wasn't planning on getting this game anytime soon but this thread has me wanting it bad.

How long is the download time on Steam?

yencid

CaLe said:

Does this mean that I should take Superman as a mentor if I want to be a fire-throwing hero, since he's the closest to my desired abilities ?
you could choose any mentor and be a fire throwing hero. Mentors dont affect abilities much they do affect what kind of gear you get and what kind of missions you start out doing (at least from what i experienced i never saw any effect by mentors other than those)

jogarrr

CaLe said:

As far as I know the only gear your mentor really affects is the end-game iconic gear. There are three iconic sets per mentor and you can see them on display if you go to the Watchtower/Hall of Doom.

You will also get gear suited to your mentor choice as you do your mentor's quests but I think all of that stuff can also be found in the vault. Additionally, as you level you will do quests for the other two mentors so you have the opportunity to get their gear sets as well.

So it's really just the iconic gear that is exclusive between mentors and they have the same stats so it's just appearance.

CaLe

yencid said:
you could choose any mentor and be a fire throwing hero. Mentors dont affect abilities much they do affect what kind of gear you get and what kind of missions you start out doing (at least from what i experienced i never saw any effect by mentors other than those)

jogarrr said:
As far as I know the only gear your mentor really affects is the end-game iconic gear. There are 3 iconic sets per mentor and you can see them on display if you go to the Watchtower/Hall of Doom.

You will get gear suited to your mentor choice as you do your mentor's quests but I think all of that stuff can also be found in the vault.

Thanks alot guys, much appreciated.

Quick question (last one :)), will we be able to travel between Gotham and Metropolis ? Or we're stuck in the city of our mentor ?

Cheech

Did anyone play this on both PC and PS3? My buddy are I are having a debate on which version to buy. My PS3 is in retirement (bedroom Blu Ray/Netflix) player, and I don't want to play what I perceive to be the inferior version of the game.

He doesn't want to play this game in his office chair, since he really doesn't have a convenient HTPC setup.

That said, one of us would budge if need be.

If anyone has played both versions and could drop dime, I would be very appreciative!

Ok another noob-ish question--

how do I team up with people? I keep getting slaughtered in the sewer on the way to save Batwoman. Lots of other players keep collecting around the warp, but I can't figure out how to group up.

I don't know if it's just that I'm not so familiar with MMOs, but the communication system in this game feels like complete trash compared to the rest of it.

yencid

Mercury Fred said:
Ok another noob-ish question--

how do I team up with people? I keep getting slaughtered in the sewer on the way to save Batwoman. Lots of other players keep collecting around the warp, but I can't figure out how to group up.

I don't know if it's just that I'm not so familiar with MMOs, but the communication system in this game feels like complete trash compared to the rest of it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25297573&postcount=2

:)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mercury Fred said:
Wow, how did I miss that? Thanks!
You can also use the in game Social menu to send out group invites, add people to your in game friends list, or send a PSN Friend request.

Broadbandito said:
one of my peeves from the beta. If any one can let us know thatd be great
It's better, but still not instantaneous.

Killthee said:
You can also use the in game Social menu to send out group invites, add people to your in game friends list, or send a PSN Friend request.
That's what I was trying before, but the Social menu was what kept tripping me up...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wish i could register my name from CoV in this game without buying it right now. i know if i get in a couple months from now and its taken im going to be furious :lol

Big Chungus

Here's my guy
zjjEd.jpg

Top Bottom