• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

fernoca

Thinking on jumping into this ($45 in Kmart). Like DC, like creating characters, like MMO games...but if I don't play them with people I easily lose interest. :(

Foxix Von

GuitarAtomik said:
I am so ridiculously on the edge about getting this. I haven't gotten into an MMO since PSO and Champions Online kind of burned me but the combat looks fun and I just got my tax return damnit.

EDIT: Fuck it. I just bought it.

PC or PS3? Even though PSO wasn't an MMO, once you hit 30 I think you'll find that the end game content's mission structure is strangely reminiscent of it. From 1-29 it's basically a single player game set it in a big comic book world. However at the level cap you're basically forced to team up with some buddies and run the DCUO equivalent of Forest to Falz.

It's so damn great!

Also, if I see any of you heroes on KJ be forewarned, I will show now mercy >:D

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ran into my first ganker camping out a low level mission area. I'm gonna remember that guy and come back for him when I'm ready...

fernoca said:
Thinking on jumping into this ($45 in Kmart). Like DC, like creating characters, like MMO games...but if I don't play them with people I easily lose interest. :(

GAF guilds are establishing so play with us. :)

Chamber said:
Ran into my first ganker camping out a low level mission area. I'm gonna remember that guy and come back for him when I'm ready...

You're gonna need to remember a lot of names before you reach 30. :p

Hell, even at 30 it doesn't stop. I'm still constantly ganked by people in epic PVP gear and I last about 5 seconds before it's over.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
lastplayed said:
You're gonna need to remember a lot of names before you reach 30. :p

Hell, even at 30 it doesn't stop. I'm still constantly ganked by people in epic PVP gear and I last about 5 seconds before it's over.
Level 30s ganking level 30s is one thing. Level 30s picking on level 5s? Bruh, you're going on the list.

Chamber said:

Use /shout to call out a revenge squad on his ass. Give his name and general area.

Works more often than you think.

Foxix Von

So I've been playing sorcery and for the longest time I kept noticing something strange that I couldn't figure out. Seemingly at random while fighting either one of my friends or myself would get mysteriously healed (complete with sound effect) during combat, even though I hadn't cast a healing spell other than one of my HoTs. What I mean was that it was a rather substantial portion of health and not the cracker sized morsel of health normally dealt. I always assumed this was sort of some weird critical heal, and that was half right!

Today it finally occurred to me why Soul Well exists in the same space as Circle of Protection. The obvious difference is that Soul Well deals HoT in small increments over a longer period of time and Circle deals it in larger portions over a shorter time frame. The relatively weak nature of Soul Well led me to only use it as a way to get a red aura for the power interaction with boon of souls.

Turns out what I had been missing this entire time is that not only does it grant a red soul aura for every defeated enemy but Soul Well also seems to heal you anytime you defeat an enemy. The same goes for your allies, if they defeat an enemy within range of the Soul Well they get healed. This makes it absolutely invaluable as a cheap and quick way to restore health during segments with hoards of weak but abundant foes. This is only an observation and I'm not sure if it's a result of a power interaction with Boon of Souls, or a red soul aura so I'll be sure to test it out more and get back.

This is essentially the entire justification and reasoning behind this ability and yet for some reason or another it's never communicated to the player. Healers take note :D!

theta11

Foxix said:
So I've been playing sorcery and for the longest time I kept noticing something strange that I couldn't figure out. Seemingly at random while fighting either one of my friends or myself would get mysteriously healed (complete with sound effect) during combat, even though I hadn't cast a healing spell other than one of my HoTs. What I mean was that it was a rather substantial portion of health and not the cracker sized morsel of health normally dealt. I always assumed this was sort of some weird critical heal, and that was half right!

Today it finally occurred to me why Soul Well exists in the same space as Circle of Protection. The obvious difference is that Soul Well deals HoT in small increments over a longer period of time and Circle deals it in larger portions over a shorter time frame. The relatively weak nature of Soul Well led me to only use it as a way to get a red aura for the power interaction with boon of souls.

Turns out what I had been missing this entire time is that not only does it grant a red soul aura for every defeated enemy but Soul Well also seems to heal you anytime you defeat an enemy. The same goes for your allies, if they defeat an enemy within range of the Soul Well they get healed. This makes it absolutely invaluable as a cheap and quick way to restore health during segments with hoards of weak but abundant foes. This is only an observation and I'm not sure if it's a result of a power interaction with Boon of Souls, or a red soul aura so I'll be sure to test it out more and get back.

This is essentially the entire justification and reasoning behind this ability and yet for some reason or another it's never communicated to the player. Healers take note :D!

Every time an enemy is killed within the range of soul well it healers for a moderate/lowish amount and is nice as a top up heal against large groups of enemies. The issue with it is the long start up time. Also as a healer you want to get red soul aura off as quickly as possible. My startup is usually circle of protection, boon of souls, soul well, rejuvenate to get golden soul aura so that my HoT heals have access to the +10% critical healing chance golden soul aura provides. By the time all those wear off i usually have a 40-70 hit combo going and with a good controller i'll be back up to full before those even finish.

Nightz

Here's the February update. Auction house!

When Sony Online Entertainment announced that there'd be a $15 a month subscription charge for DC Universe Online -- the company's newest MMO -- the developers said that there'd be "roughly" monthly content updates to make that investment worth the money. Now, less than a month after its release, DC Universe Online is ready to announce February's round of goodies, and the package includes a new story mission, a new duo, and tons of extra stuff.

"What's happening in February is more like what's happening going forward -- we're going to just keep growing the thing," said Chris Cao, DCUO game director.

The only bad news is that we'll have to wait until "mid to late February" to get our hands on all this stuff, but once it's live -- with the exception of the seasonal goodies -- it's live for good.

Catwoman Content

SOE has been hyping a classic character playing a large role in this batch of content, and it turns out it's Catwoman. Selina Kyle is going to factor into a few new parts to DCUO.

* Level 30 Catwoman Episode: Here, your character will race to Gotham Museum and find Catwoman robbing the joint. Then, some ancient Egyptian artifacts turn people into lions and tigers that you have to fight. Look for five boss battles in this mission.
* Legends PVP: Catwoman will now be playable in "Play as Iconic" PVP.
* Multiplayer Race: Chase Catwoman with your friends.
* New Loot: You'll now be able to collect the "ancient Mayan Armor" and "Cat Burglar" gear.

Valentine's Day Content

Believe it or not, February is for lovers -- and now, DCUO is, too. In a rather interesting move, the Goddess of Love is pissed and has put down fountains across Metropolis. Enter one of these, and you'll be transported to a 100-person instance where you'll play as a cherub and battle "to determine the true meaning of love."

* Collectable Hearts: Completing races, participating in PVP and other actions will earn you hearts that you can use to purchase chocolates and gifts to give to other players.
* PVP Battles: Dunk the other team into the fountain.
* Love Alert: This is a four-player boss fight against the Goddess of Love, Devotion and Scorn.
* Loot: There's a new harlequin clown suit with hearts and a cherub disguise to earn.
* Mock the Boss: When you replay boss fights, you'll be able to give them "be mine" cards for Feat points.

More Cool Content

* New Duo: A two-player Bane duo will be available for players.
* PVP Expansion: There will be a new Gotham PVP zone.
* New Tier 2 Raid: There's a new eight-player raid zone for the Batcave. You'll fight alongside Batman against Brainiac and Brother Eye.
* Buy and Sell: Auction houses will go live in the Watchtower and the Hall of Doom so that places can swap gear on a massive scale.
* Additions: New collections, races and investigations will be added.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1147019p1.html

Sounds good actually, a little bit of everything being added. So 3 new costume sets being added it sounds like.

Actually not bad if this is the kind of content updates we are going to see each month, it's fairly sizable.

Also like that they are adding new characters to Legends PVP

Adding more feat points is also nice that I hope they continue as it means a player can really earn a lot of skill points and make specializing in multiple weapons easier to do.

jogarrr

Looking forward to the vday event. Need to get a new char to 30 before that starts.

I want that ancient Mayan armor too.

So content updates are looking nice now, that will keep me subbing probably, as long they also keep with patching the game in the meantime to fix various issues.

And lol wtf, 100 person instance battle? That sounds insane.

Varna said:
Sweet. A use for all that money finally.

Yea I finally hit 30 and just realized the ton of money I got now. The cash flows pretty quick, auction houses will finally make money worth something.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hellz yeah; i wonder when we're getting the UI fixes and stuff though

also just my semi-daily shout out for anyone on ZERO HOUR to add me (astrolad) and send me an inv if you see me on. up for anything still looking to meet up with my first gaffer on there. i'm usually on late nights weekdays

Nightz

I need to get at least one character up to level 30. I think all of my guys, with the exception of the one I rolled last night, are around level 15 lol.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nightz said:
I need to get at least one character up to level 30. I think all of my guys, with the exception of the one I rolled last night, are around level 15 lol.

Got one other character at level 17 on the other server, kind of didn't want to give up yet on it, but I guess I'll try to stay mainly on the Killing Joke.

Yes, those movies are pretty damn good. I've rewatched the opening movie a couple times, and this one now as well. Is this a movie from somewhere in the game, or was it just released to the internets for the hell of it?

While some of the voices are Meh quality (and the comic movies after defeating a boss has some horrendous Audio quality problems) I do like that a few of the mainstays (well, BTAS Universe) are in the game. While both Conroy and Hamill don't sound quite like they did back then, you still can't beat them. I understand why Hamill's retiring the Joker, I'm not sure he can do the laughs anymore.

I do like the little touch of Batman missing his Right Eye. Batman with a Patch :D

Varna

The iconic battles seem bugged. Twice I've defeated a boss on my first run without using supercharge moves or items and don't get it. Does using trinkets effect this feat?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Lonestar said:
Got one other character at level 17 on the other server, kind of didn't want to give up yet on it, but I guess I'll try to stay mainly on the Killing Joke.

Yes, those movies are pretty damn good. I've rewatched the opening movie a couple times, and this one now as well. Is this a movie from somewhere in the game, or was it just released to the internets for the hell of it?

While some of the voices are Meh quality (and the comic movies after defeating a boss has some horrendous Audio quality problems) I do like that a few of the mainstays (well, BTAS Universe) are in the game. While both Conroy and Hamill don't sound quite like they did back then, you still can't beat them. I understand why Hamill's retiring the Joker, I'm not sure he can do the laughs anymore.
It was released today and I'm guessing it'll be part of the next Brainiac Episode (my guess is April).

Is there a guide somewhere that shows you what gives you what kind of rewards once you hit 30? All these different tokens and such, want to know what I got to do to get specifics.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I kind of asked Krypt this last night (but I think his game froze up when I typed it) but, all the little items you receive, that just say "Sell to Vender": are there any other uses for them, should I save them at all, or are they just things to sell off?

Lonestar said:
I kind of asked Krypt this last night (but I think his game froze up when I typed it) but, all the little items you receive, that just say "Sell to Vender": are there any other uses for them, should I save them at all, or are they just things to sell off?

Just to sell, higher level baddies drop lot more expensive junk that is for sale, you make money fast in some missions when you have tons of it to trade in.

Wallach

AstroLad said:
hellz yeah; i wonder when we're getting the UI fixes and stuff though

also just my semi-daily shout out for anyone on ZERO HOUR to add me (astrolad) and send me an inv if you see me on. up for anything still looking to meet up with my first gaffer on there. i'm usually on late nights weekdays

I'll meet up with you tonight or later this week whenever I see you on, though I'll probably be lower level for a while. Yesterday at some point they actually locked my account due to some anti-fraud flag, because apparently I accidentally selected the wrong region (so it didn't match my CC). Didn't get that fixed until this morning so I've barely had a chance to play at all.

I can't quite decide on what to actually run with still. I did remake my beta character (Mathemagician), and I made a couple more this morning to try out a few different things. Nature/Bow/Acro is pretty neat; Bow feels a bit more fluid than Hand Blaster, but so far I like the abilities in Shapeshifter that aren't shapeshift forms. The first form I got was Pterodactyl and quite frankly it sucks. The camera doesn't even center on it properly, and the abilities are boring. Not to mention I can't seem to even get tooltips for them so I was using them just to figure out what the hell they were. Might respec into Plants, though it doesn't look like any form of Nature spec will ignore forms entirely, so hopefully the later forms aren't so lame.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you a Healer? Not a big deal but I am pretty wicked when paired up with a healer. Don't even need a DPS really since you can really blaze through the Duos and Alerts with someone who has good crowd control above all else.

Battlemonkey: Have you checked out the Iconic Armor guide linked in the OP? Seems to be the best guide afaik for L30 stuff.

Leunam

Lonestar said:

If crafting is implemented they may have some use, but I'd just sell it.

Wallach

AstroLad said:
Are you a Healer? Not a big deal but I am pretty wicked when paired up with a healer. Don't even need a DPS really since you can really blaze through the Duos and Alerts with someone who has good crowd control above all else.

Battlemonkey: Have you checked out the Iconic Armor guide linked in the OP? Seems to be the best guide afaik for L30 stuff.

Yeah, both my guys right now are healers (Nature and Sorcery). I'm just trying to find the right combination of stuff for my Nature guy, but I do like how Nature/Bow/Acro (with Superman as mentor) is working out. That guy's name is just Wallach if you want to add them both.

jogarrr

Wallach said:
but so far I like the abilities in Shapeshifter that aren't shapeshift forms. The first form I got was Pterodactyl and quite frankly it sucks. The camera doesn't even center on it properly, and the abilities are boring. Not to mention I can't seem to even get tooltips for them so I was using them just to figure out what the hell they were. Might respec into Plants, though it doesn't look like any form of Nature spec will ignore forms entirely, so hopefully the later forms aren't so lame.

Pterodactly and canine forms are great for power regen as a healer. If you know that a cut scene is about to pop up shift into one and by the time the battle starts you'll be at full power. Or if a boss has a period where it is invulnerable (like the Area 51 final boss). I never use them for anything but that though.

Insectoid can give you great healing especially if you use your skill points to increase your critical healing chance/magnitude but I've found it better to focus on restoration increases first so it's not really something that will be really amazing until very late game. Also, it's best when paired with a controller because energy regen can be a problem with insectoid because its combos suck.

Wolf form is meh. It could be great once you have a lot of skill points to work with (to put into critical attack chance/magnitude) but even with a base 20% critical attack chance I felt that I did less damage than my normal form. You don't gain the DPS buff when using powers in this form and cannot use any of your healing abilities. To get the most out of this form you definitely need a ton of precision and critical attack/magnitude.

The damage buff also suffers from needing a high base critical attack/magnitude to really take advantage of. The healing buff is incredible though. It can be kept up over 50% of the time and dramatically increases heal crit chance/magnitude as well as granting +29% restoration to the entire group (fire tanks will love you).

If you play as a healer don't underestimate swarm shield. Despite its cooldown it is essentially my main 'heal'. It's pretty much a very large group 'heal' that can be used preemptively.

Killthee said:

Fuck yeah! I'm hyped to log back in now :p

Wallach

jogarrr said:
Pterodactly and canine forms are great for power regen as a healer. If you know that a cut scene is about to pop up shift into one and by the time the battle starts you'll be at full power. Or if a boss has a period where it is invulnerable (like the Area 51 final boss). I never use them for anything but that though.

Insectoid can give you great healing especially if you use your skill points to increase your critical healing chance/magnitude but I've found it better to focus on restoration increases first so it's not really something that will be really amazing until very late game. Also, it's best when paired with a controller because energy regen can be a problem with insectoid because its combos suck.

Wolf form is meh. It could be great once you have a lot of skill points to work with (to put into critical attack chance/magnitude) but even with a base 20% critical attack chance I felt that I did less damage than my normal form. You don't gain the DPS buff when using powers in this form and cannot use any of your healing abilities. To get the most out of this form you definitely need a ton of precision and critical attack/magnitude.

The damage buff also suffers from needing a high base critical attack/magnitude to really take advantage of. The healing buff is incredible though. It can be kept up over 50% of the time and dramatically increases heal crit chance/magnitude as well as granting +29% restoration to the entire group (fire tanks will love you).

If you play as a healer don't underestimate swarm shield. Despite its cooldown it is essentially my main 'heal'. It's pretty much a very large group 'heal' that can be used preemptively.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to experiment more with the forms, and honestly the actual powers in the tree seem pretty useful for healing (like Hive Mind which supposedly gives you a ridiculous critical healing effect modifier, 300% or something). It also seems like a much better tree for solo stuff so far; the first power (Roar I think) in particular has proven much more powerful at low level than Vine Lash.

As for the skill point boosts I'm not even concerned with them, honestly. They seem very minor - the most I've seen is like 45 Restoration (3 skill points), and when I look at the items late game that doesn't seem very big at all. The blue weapons for example seemed to have 65-70 Restoration alone. Plus with a bit of feat point hunting you should be able to buy 4+ weapon skills worth of good passives for your spec (6-7 skill points investment per weapon tree) and more if you really work on feat completion. That said, I haven't seen gear that has any crit chance or crit effect on them yet so it may be more worthwhile to buy those skill passives first, but maybe I just haven't seen any of that gear yet.

GodofWine

Harley Quinn keeps kicking my butt...anyone know the time limit on the fight? her healing herself is a real pain in the arse...the fight is simple enough in terms of the pattern, but I can't deal the damage fast enough solo (and I can dish it out, Im a fire breathing tank)...I could always grab a friend to help, but I feel like this is a solo gig.

tips?

I pretty much put all my points into illusion tree, but not really feeling like that good of a "controller". Illusions along with dual guns, I'm totally tearing it apart with the dps though apparently, I keep scoring top damage in pvp and arenas that I run. But as a controller I don't exactly feel like I'm doing much actual control outside of very short lasting stuns. I keep just going back to straight up dps roles since it's what I seem to excel at.

Anyways I'm probably gonna start a new hero going for healing, hopefully make something a bit different for group usage.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
part of the problem with being a pure controller is that psych empowerment doesn't work and that should really be a core spell. so for me group energy regen consists of psychic blades and single lev

Varna

AstroLad said:
part of the problem with being a pure controller is that psych empowerment doesn't work and that should really be a core spell. so for me group energy regen consists of psychic blades and single lev

What's wrong with psychic empowerment? I see it restoring group members energy... isn't that the point?

Wallach

AstroLad said:

I thought this was fixed in the last patch?

Varna

Wallach said:
I thought this was fixed in the last patch?

Maybe not working as intended yet. But it is doing something.

I use it constantly in groups and I always see the effect graphic around players and I see it restore some power instantly.

Massively has a big post about the new content coming this month, as well as a very nice interview talking about various plans and details for the upcoming content: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/01/chris-cao-spreads-the-love-for-the-next-update-to-dcuo/

This was interesting quote: "We are going to take it a month at a time and build on that. We are adding more raids. We are going to continue to do that. We are going to add more suits for you guys as soon as you've earned these and keep expanding it. Whether it be new power types or other stuff going in new content, it's all going to be driven by what the audience is after."

So it seems new powers might be on the table for the future.

Top Bottom