• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

hermit7

Foxix said:
Awesome.

This will be great since apparently every villain gaffer is a healer haha.
I made a controller as well, but I haven't started leveling it.

My healer is bomb. I can fill a lot of roles through its gorilla form including some mild tanking if absolutely necessary.

Nishastra

Banned
Finally got into an arena match with my new Controller. She felt a lot weaker than my Healer, but a lot of that is due to Dual Pistols rather than Rifle. Rifle's kinda crazy, and I'm not quite used to Dual Pistols yet. Also relative inability to heal myself, of course :p

Intimidate + Full Auto is great, as are Throwing Knives. I need to try out some more movement attacks. Throwing Knives is a fast, cheap, strong cone damage/knockdown power. If you're seriously outnumbered, it's a good way to go out in a blaze of glory. Just spam it like nobody's business and you'll probably kill SOMEONE before you go down :p

Sanjuro

I just reached level 30, trying to figure out what my best specs should be for a controller/brawler/gadgets. I put pretty much all of them into iconic lvl22 powers as well as all brawling. Trying to think of the best weaponry after that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AstroLad said:
what is the best use of influence?
Low level PvP weapons afaik. At level 30 it's kinda useless cause you can get much better gear from loot drops or by purchasing them with Marks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Killthee said:
Low level PvP weapons afaik. At level 30 it's kinda useless cause you can get much better gear from loot drops or by purchasing them with Marks.
Ah ok that's a bummer. They should let you buy the super soda with it or whatever. already got my first piece of tier 1 armor so i am pretty stoked. was on a damn rampage today winning every pvp and hard alert i ran. wish it was easier to get into arenas though :/

Well you can buy higher end soda using influence too.

They will likely add higher tier sets over time also. I imagine they will follow a WoW like pattern where they introduce new armor sets over time to continually get people playing for new influence and marks.

PVP gear is also usually decent and you can get it probably faster than the higher end stuff you need marks for.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
who are good influence vendors? i've kinda seen em all over the place it feels so i don't know if one person has better stuff than another. i might just buy the soda though since i'm really gunnin for a full T1 set.

They are spread throughout the various stations/clubs it seems, though I think some sell the same things. In the Tower/Hall of Doom next to the vendors that sell the Legends PVP characters there should be a vendor selling the higher end pvp gear I believe but for only lvl 30's I think

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
They are spread throughout the various stations/clubs it seems, though I think some sell the same things. In the Tower/Hall of Doom next to the vendors that sell the Legends PVP characters there should be a vendor selling the higher end pvp gear I believe but for only lvl 30's I think
ok yeah thx there's a guy pulsar ward in the gotham pd that seems to be good for this

edit: so i guess vs. my current set i have to sacfrific might and dps for more toughness beh....

I'm just gonna leave this here, turns out there is an invisible table in Dr Psycho's Lab so I decided to make use of it.
Remember kids, Kryptonited girls don't say no!

rhtpqf.jpg

AstroLad said:
ok yeah thx there's a guy pulsar ward in the gotham pd that seems to be good for this

edit: so i guess vs. my current set i have to sacfrific might and dps for more toughness beh....

PVP gear will generally increase ones stats one will use in PVP matches. The gear you get from the marks from running alerts, duos, raids etc will on the other hand usually boost the stats that improve your role such as controller/healer/tank.

In a sense players might want to collect and switch between sets depending on what they are doing. A full pvp set for example would give you lots of defense against other players so you would probably want to switch to it for pvp matches then switch out to another armor set for something pve related.

Kind of a unique aspect of the game in that they made stats specifically for PVP and some for PVE.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Smokey said:
Killer Joke or whatever. CB3 is playin on that one so it's where I went.
If you're just starting out, doing the low level missions (levels 4-9) and you're not running into a lot of people, then consider yourself lucky. Getting smacked up before you've even learned to walk is no fun. Once you're around level 10 and higher, the missions that you'll be going on will be in areas with much higher traffic. For example, at Metropolis Hospital, you'll be butting heads with villains/heroes over conflicting objectives.

Be sure to get into the GAF league - I'm not freelancing and helping everyone I come across anymore because I've got a new character I'm working on, but the rest of the guys are pretty helpful.

hermit7

People are idiots. They decide to run 2 tanks, a dps and me healing. Obviously I am unable to keep up healing without a controller, and then the group decides to bitch to me about how they keep dying.

Not my fucking fault find a damn controller so that I have some power to keep healing.

Proper group formation is becoming more and more apparent in the endgame.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hermit7 said:
People are idiots. They decide to run 2 tanks, a dps and me healing. Obviously I am unable to keep up healing without a controller, and then the group decides to bitch to me about how they keep dying.

Not my fucking fault find a damn controller so that I have some power to keep healing.

Proper group formation is becoming more and more apparent in the endgame.
aww man i just had the best groups all day. did containment facility and we had dps+healer+tank+troller(me). was really amazing the teamwork we pulled off and i definitely got a newfound appreciation for tanks after that too

Mercury Fred said:
Meh, PvP server feels like it sucks. I'm not seeing the appeal.

I just can't fight computer controlled players. Open world PVP is what makes this fun for me. PVE is so dead without it.

Mercury Fred said:
Meh, PvP server feels like it sucks. I'm not seeing the appeal.

Build plays a big role in pvp to me, some builds just don't seem very useful/fun in pvp, and some people just can do crazy crowd control/stun up the wazoo that just makes you feel powerless as you get slapped around doing nothing.

But when you got a build figured out for pvp the game is very fast paced and lots of fun. I love my villain in pvp but I haven't been feeling it when using my hero build.

Killthee

krypt0nian said:
I just can't fight computer controlled players. Open world PVP is what makes this fun for me. PVE is so dead without it.
Gotta agree, there's just nothing in the PvE servers that offers the same feeling you get from participating in one of spontaneous hero vs villain PvP wars. Just earlier today I was leading a 7 person villain raid group doing bounties that came face to face with a ~7 person hero raid group trying to kill the mummy in Gotham. The match was nothing short of epic, Heroes vs. Mummy vs. Villains. Heroes started jumping us so we had to take them out first. By the time they were all down the mummy had spawned so we focused on her. Halfway through that fight the heroes came back for an epic round 2 clusterfuck that caused the framerate to crawl. We took a couple of casualties that round, but soon after we took down the mummy the heroes followed.

Bajan32

Hey can someone help? I just finished my solo mission "The Secret Society" and I just talked to the joker and now I can't hit complete and get my rewards. WTF is this a bug?

hermit7

AstroLad said:
aww man i just had the best groups all day. did containment facility and we had dps+healer+tank+troller(me). was really amazing the teamwork we pulled off and i definitely got a newfound appreciation for tanks after that too

Usually I am in those groups because I am the one that recruits people. Not this time however, I just jumped in randomly.

For instance earlier today I was in a group with some Gaffers and we did pretty bomb in Area 51. But that is life I suppose.

Bajan32 said:
Hey can someone help? I just finished my solo mission "The Secret Society" and I just talked to the joker and now I can't hit complete and get my rewards. WTF is this a bug?

You have to scroll down to the rewards until you get the one with the "choose" option, then accept it.

Killthee

Bajan32 said:
The emblem reward is bugged on the final mission. You have to log out and log back in if you want to select it.

krypt0nian said:
I hear ya. It's just that trying to do simple missions solo is a huge pain in the ass with people floating around ready to kill you =/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Build plays a big role in pvp to me, some builds just don't seem very useful/fun in pvp, and some people just can do crazy crowd control/stun up the wazoo that just makes you feel powerless as you get slapped around doing nothing.

But when you got a build figured out for pvp the game is very fast paced and lots of fun. I love my villain in pvp but I haven't been feeling it when using my hero build.
you know what's weird though is that you don't have that many inventory slots so it's kinda tough. you can bank it i suppose but then are you supposed to swap in piece by piece? the waits for everything are long enough that i'm constantly bouncing between alerts, pvp, legends, duos, etc.

Foxix Von

AstroLad said:
you know what's weird though is that you don't have that many inventory slots so it's kinda tough. you can bank it i suppose but then are you supposed to swap in piece by piece? the waits for everything are long enough that i'm constantly bouncing between alerts, pvp, legends, duos, etc.

I remember reading somewhere that they want to add in weapon switching. I hope that eventually they add something like an additional loadout option where you can choose between a couple different gear sets and just switch between them on the fly.

Mercury Fred said:
I hear ya. It's just that trying to do simple missions solo is a huge pain in the ass with people floating around ready to kill you =/

/shout for help. There are people waiting to fly in and throw down. It's what I plan on doing when I reach max lvl.

krypt0nian said:
/shout for help. There are people waiting to fly in and throw down. It's what I plan on doing when I reach max lvl.

I am one of these people =). Kinda hard though as its normally around 3-4 vs me and I do not use PvP gear to fight them, very fun though.

AstroLad said:

I dunno, I never seem to have much in my inventory outside of sodas. I always whenever I can sell off anything I don't need or just eventually bank any keepers.

theta11 said:
Finished Batcave last night, thanks for the info ChronicleX. All that's left now is Kahndaq, hope its easier than RCP.

The hardest part in the entire of Kahndaq is getting to the first boss. Once you have got to him the entire place is a joke because there is no lockout on bosses and the zone is open. (Meaning if you die you can repair and run back to the fight in around 20 seconds).
Overall the Raids in this game are not that challenging when they work proper. They are really awesome though. Final fight of Kahndaq is amazing and would be an awesome challenge if you could not run in during it, which is a bloody shame.

AstroLad said:
marks of allegiance seem like the crappiest currency. those solo missions on hard seem to take forever

It's mostly for cosmetic stuff, but you can trade them in for marks of triumph that get you tier 1 pve gear.

Wallach

I might switch to playing over on Death and Glory. Seems like it is the most active server by a fair margin. Anyone low level or interested in re-rolling to hang with me? I'd still like to be hero side.

My best use as a controller is apparently just being a power regenerator, which is odd being that only one power increases it for me. But since it's the most useful thing I can contribute it seems I realize I need to get Vitalization gear so I suck less as my puny role.

icechai

BattleMonkey said:
My best use as a controller is apparently just being a power regenerator, which is odd being that only one power increases it for me. But since it's the most useful thing I can contribute it seems I realize I need to get Vitalization gear so I suck less as my puny role.

but batteries are needed! :) and you have some good aoe skills on the side.

icechai said:
but batteries are needed! :) and you have some good aoe skills on the side.

I know, I just realized though that I got shit for vitalization stat gear wise and need to work my butt off to fix this shit so my character at least makes for a good battery.

BattleMonkey said:
I know, I just realized though that I got shit for vitalization stat gear wise and need to work my butt off to fix this shit so my character at least makes for a good battery.

Decent. Have at it! I'll be glad when more folks take the effort to make the most of their roles!

This and communication basics NEED to be added to the tutorial ASAP!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i love mob control for me that is usually my primary focus as my main attack is lev and it seems to do a decent job of keeping everyone's energy high for all but the toughest bosses

Being pure illusion, I basically am constantly spamming the shurikens. It only has one mass stun ability but it only lasts for like 1-2 seconds, though the Illusion tree seems to be focused on weakening enemies more than anything.

Shuriken spam though works well since it's power cost is low and it woks as an aoe at the same time so all i good.

I think people don't realize the role they are supposed to play and building their character towards it till they hit 30, as before that, it's not really that important. Never found the alerts pre lvl 30 to even really require the need of the roles all that much to complete them, but once you start doing hard modes and lvl 30 content, the roles become very important.

Anyways going back and playing my Hero now a bit and really enjoying it, the game does a good job of giving you a different experience between heros/villains, though not a fan of the music on the hero side :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so i know this was addressed generally before but can someone clarify:

when you have a red icon next to a duo but it's not locked, do you get ANYTHING for doing it?

Top Bottom