• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
hermit7 said:
Do you need to resubscribe on the 8th for that?
I don't think so. The 8th is when they'll update the store with the new rate, there's no mention of it being a one day promo. The new rate should be available for at least a week since they usually only update the store once a week.

hermit7

Killthee said:
I don't think so. The 8th is when they'll update the store with the new rate, there's no mention of it being a one day promo. The new rate should be available for at least a week since they usually only update the store once a week.
So when I go to resub will they automatically take it out. Or do I need to do something to resub. This is a little confusing with psn.

Sweet I will probably jump on that, basically a free month. Taking a break from EVE Online and since Star Wars Old Republic is delayed, this will be my only paid MMO sub for now.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
So when I go to resub will they automatically take it out. Or do I need to do something to resub. This is a little confusing with psn.
If you haven't purchased a sub bundle yet and do nothing before your sub runs out, you'll automatically be renewed at the one month rate ($15) every month.

If you want in on the 3 month promo discount, you'll have to purchase the 3 month sub on the PS Store sometime after they update the price on the 8th and before they change it back. The promo price should be available for at least a week since they usually only update the store once a week. As long as you don't cancel auto renewal for the sub you'll only be charged the promo rate every time it renews.

The sub bundles on the PS Store can be found via three different ways. You can select the "New Releases" tab on the store front page and then scroll down until you find the DCUO folder, or you can use the search icon at the top of the store to search for DC Universe, or you click on the "View All by Title" tab in the front page and then keep clicking the appropriate tabs until you get to the DCUO folder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Sweet I will probably jump on that, basically a free month. Taking a break from EVE Online and since Star Wars Old Republic is delayed, this will be my only paid MMO sub for now.
i wish more of you guys were on pc :/

Now make the lifetime sub offer available on PS3 guys!

AstroLad said:
i wish more of you guys were on pc :/

I probably would have never picked up the game if it wasn't on the PS3 as it was the main unique thing to me that caused me to pick it up since I already jump around between so many other MMO's on PC right now. Play it on comfy couch, and also at night when I ride my exercise bike as part of my regular work outs.

The crisp visuals of Champions right now makes me sorry about not having the visuals of DC on the PC though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
boooo

i have a l2 hero i made on there i think but i just really enjoy pve right now. i get a good fill of pvp in the arenas and the marks of triumph for those don't stop so it's quite nice. the only downside is that it takes too long to get into a game off a queue

That three-month sub looks like a good deal. I'll have to bite when my trial runs out (I'm surprised that I was never prompted to put in any CC info yet...).

BattleMonkey said:
Now make the lifetime sub offer available on PS3 guys!

They can't. A lifetime sub is for the life of the game and they exist on PC games because PC's do not have an expiration that effects how long the game will last. A PS3 will expire or its service can expire long before the game itself dies (if its successful, and so far it is), hence they cannot offer a lifetime sub on PS3.

They could offer a Universal Lifetime sub that was for either platform, but you can blame some random Sony higher up for that misfortune. It's the same reason PS3/PC is not crossplatform.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mercury Fred said:
That three-month sub looks like a good deal. I'll have to bite when my trial runs out (I'm surprised that I was never prompted to put in any CC info yet...).

I'm pretty sure it's tied into your PSN account. And if you had not listed your CC info into your PSN (for the Store), it probably would force you to input one.

When Sub date comes up, it'll go directly to your PSN Wallet and get it's money.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChronicleX said:
They can't. A lifetime sub is for the life of the game and they exist on PC games because PC's do not have an expiration that effects how long the game will last. A PS3 will expire or its service can expire long before the game itself dies (if its successful, and so far it is), hence they cannot offer a lifetime sub on PS3.

They could offer a Universal Lifetime sub that was for either platform, but you can blame some random Sony higher up for that misfortune. It's the same reason PS3/PC is not crossplatform.
god cross-platform would be so amazing. i know that ms is always a bitch about this kind of stuff because of the Live fees but it's really disappointing from sony

Micromegas said:
How is the PS3 version of this game? Tech-abortion or is it actually playable as an MMO?

Has lot of visual issues to be expected, but it plays fairly well. The main issue is heavy load times and some nasty lag when bringing up menus.

Doubt the game itself is going to improve in performance, but the hopes are they can smooth out the UI to improve response speeds of menus and such.

icechai

so almost lvl 30 w/ my mental bow... and wow do they have huge balance issues :p I mean, it's fun and all but I felt more like a controller with my gadget character. Mental is pretty much the highest DPS class in the game, going around and pvping is kinda funny, the only challenge now is if someone jumps me or is in super pvp gear.

Get this... we have a -hp debuff skill that does heavy damage and STACKS dots. You can fire off about 4-5 in one skill bar in 4-5 seconds. Considering there's really no healing skill that cures the DoTs, you can just run away after and they're screwed (each use of the skill causes -25ish hp per tic on average, lasts a while too, and chances are you'll crit one of those for -45ish hp dot... and as they just stack... o_O). Throw in bow or rifle frame cancel before spamming your DoT ray... the lifebar just disappears. We are definitely the highest damage even in controller mode when you look at the scoreboard at the end of alerts.

and for any lower lvls who think they have a chance against higher lvls, they haven't been stunned into a fiery death by a controller in 2 seconds.

Hope they make mental a bit more controller like and less dps power house, but hey, it's pretty amusing at the moment :p

icechai said:
so almost lvl 30 w/ my mental bow... and wow do they have huge balance issues :p I mean, it's fun and all but I felt more like a controller with my gadget character. Mental is pretty much the highest DPS class in the game, going around and pvping is kinda funny, the only challenge now is if someone jumps me or is in super pvp gear.

Get this... we have a -hp debuff skill that does heavy damage and STACKS dots. You can fire off about 4-5 in one skill bar in 4-5 seconds. Considering there's really no healing skill that cures the DoTs, you can just run away after and they're screwed (each use of the skill causes -25ish hp per tic on average, lasts a while too, and chances are you'll crit one of those for -45ish hp dot... and as they just stack... o_O). Throw in bow or rifle frame cancel before spamming your DoT ray... the lifebar just disappears. We are definitely the highest damage even in controller mode when you look at the scoreboard at the end of alerts.

and for any lower lvls who think they have a chance against higher lvls, they haven't been stunned into a fiery death by a controller in 2 seconds.

Hope they make mental a bit more controller like and less dps power house, but hey, it's pretty amusing at the moment :p

I can only imagine mental with rifles. Rifles whenever I've seen them in pvp.... rape

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
icechai said:
I agree with this. As a troller who focuses on mob control I almost always wind up with the most damage given even though I only have a couple pieces of tier gear and spend 25% of my time worrying about energy regen. I have focused on Might since the beginning though (at the cost of Vitalization, which rarely comes back to bite me) since I could tell early on the damage power of Mental.

jogarrr

krypt0nian said:
How did it unlock so early?

It unlocks based on when you started and I guess I jumped on it right away after it started :p

The wallpaper is what you get for selecting PC btw. It's possible the PS3 mystery reward is different. Maybe a theme?

Sblargh

Banned
AstroLad said:
I agree with this. As a troller who focuses on mob control I almost always wind up with the most damage given even though I only have a couple pieces of tier gear and spend 25% of my time worrying about energy regen. I have focused on Might since the beginning though (at the cost of Vitalization, which rarely comes back to bite me) since I could tell early on the damage power of Mental.

Cool, my first char (after this frightening 2GB download finishes) will be mental with hand blaster for the dominance. Good to know I can also dish damage when necessary.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheExodu5 said:
I'm on PC.
The funny thing about this is on the spreadsheet there's like 15 people who are Heroes on Zero Hour. I added them all and yet none of them are ever online. Guess maybe the game didn't have the staying power w/ others that it's had w/ me (45+ hours and counting). :p

Killthee

jogarrr said:
It unlocks based on when you started and I guess I jumped on it right away after it started :p

The wallpaper is what you get for selecting PC btw. It's possible the PS3 mystery reward is different. Maybe a theme?
PS3 reward is the same.

Nishastra

Banned
More like a troll than a fail. After weeks with the "mystery reward" sitting there, what you finally get is a picture of the Joker laughing at you :p

Ya know, since the PvE server has the ability to flag PvP on, why not add the reverse for the PvP server? I actually warmed up to PvP in playing with Lonestar yesterday, but being able to switch it off for certain moments (just trying to chat with teammates via a keyboard, for instance) would be a godsend.

Lonestar

As I've gotten close to level 20, I'm finding how deadly I can be in reguards to PVP. Not 1 on 1 against some level 30 guy, but all these stun moves and the Taser/Grapple Pulls, well...they just ruin someone's day as they can't get away from the mob they pissed off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mercury Fred said:
Ya know, since the PvE server has the ability to flag PvP on, why not add the reverse for the PvP server? I actually warmed up to PvP in playing with Lonestar yesterday, but being able to switch it off for certain moments (just trying to chat with teammates via a keyboard, for instance) would be a godsend.
this sounds a little like pve. between ring war, legends, and arenas you can be pvping a big chunk of the time on pve. the only thing that's really missing is the dynamism in the outdoor solo areas, though you still do get some of that from hunting down the bosses

icechai

Mercury Fred said:

that kind of defeats the purpose of the pvp server. next time just grapple to the top of a really tall building or stealth and chat :p

icechai said:
that kind of defeats the purpose of the pvp server. next time just grapple to the top of a really tall building or stealth and chat :p
Really?

It seems like if the majority of the world is constantly in PvP mode, the ability to flag off for a few minutes here and there would do nothing to defeat the purpose.

Mercury Fred said:
Really?

It seems like if the majority of the world is constantly in PvP mode, the ability to flag off for a few minutes here and there would do nothing to defeat the purpose.

Its called goto a Police Station / Nightclub. Safehouses exist for a reason, chat to your hearts content within them. Don't like it? Don't roll PVP. War is War, it does not suddenly stop because someone wants a teabreak.

ChronicleX said:
Its called goto a Police Station / Nightclub. Safehouses exist for a reason, chat to your hearts content within them. Don't like it? Don't roll PVP. War is War, it does not suddenly stop because someone wants a teabreak.
Serious business.

Why oh why did emotocons have to go away? There just aren't enough lols.

Lonestar

icechai said:

false-dwight.gif

I get attacked often while I'm perched on a highrise.

I've even been found and attacked while I idled in Stealth.

Is it really war when your 30 and your singular target is a level 7 player trying to finish the scarecrow mission?

Well thats a problem I keep seeing with pvp servers though I love em anyways. Always lvl 30 douchebags who like to stop and pick on the newbies in the early quest areas, have it happen all the time with any new character I make. It isn't as bad as you level up and you also learn to be more careful, but being on PVP server is partially about watching your back.

Mercury Fred said:
Really?

Because most people would be running around with their pvp status set to off by default and only turn it on when it's convenient for a gank. Having it on just leaves you open to getting jumped so it's in the best interest to always have it on off. It would pretty much ruin the point of the pvp servers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lonestar said:
Is it really war when your 30 and your singular target is a level 7 player trying to finish the scarecrow mission?
hahah this is why i play pve. i'm into pvp but not into ganking though "i totally see the merit" /michaelscott

You get no influence either for taking out someone thats more than 5 levels below you, so level 30's going around being douche bags... well yea because they are douche bags. All they get out of it is the satisfaction of being a bully.

FinFan

So Im looking at the back of my newly purchased copy of DCUO and it says...

Network Players
2 - Unlimited

What does that mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question but this is my first PS3 purchase.

Nishastra

Banned
Presumably that in "multiplayer", it supports between 2 and unlimited numbers of people.

It's kind of a dumb thing to put on an MMO box, but I guess they have some kind of information standards to adhere to :p

FinFan

Nishastra said:
Presumably that in "multiplayer", it supports between 2 and unlimited numbers of people.

It's kind of a dumb thing to put on an MMO box, but I guess they have some kind of information standards to adhere to :p

Ah, thanks. I was hoping it mean you could play the game with 2 different PSN accounts.

Hex

Banned
I am actually kind of impressed with the soundtrack to this game, though I have run into a small glitch a few times where all of the sudden all of the volumes are cranked to max settings.

This is probably going to sound stupid to you guys, but how do MMO subs work on the ps3? Do you go to a site like you do for Wow and enter your info? Or do you do it through the ps3?

Mafro

RoninChaos said:
This is probably going to sound stupid to you guys, but how do MMO subs work on the ps3? Do you go to a site like you do for Wow and enter your info? Or do you do it through the ps3?
It's done on the PS3 via PSN. You can turn auto-renewal on and off in the account management section.

hermit7

Well Chat crapped out, and now they took down the server (KJ).

Hope it comes back up, that was going to be my evening. Gonna watch a movie now.

Killthee

Promo rate for the 3 month sub ends on March 1st.

RadarX said:
You'll need lock in this rate prior to the end of the 30-day subscription included with your software purchase, or by March 1, 2011 (when the promotion ends), whichever comes first. Why? – because if your current subscription plan kicks in before you choose the Legend Plan, the $29.99 rate wont apply until after your currently selected plan ends.

ReiGun

You know what I really want in the next update? For them to fix superman's head. Talking to him is really awkward as is.

Top Bottom