• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Foxix Von

BattleMonkey said:
I use a cheap $9.99 USB keyboard with my ps3, works great.
Same for me basically. I picked up a dirty old keyboard from a garage sale to use with PSU on the PS2 and it's worked great on every system since.

eznark

Banned
Been meaning to pick one of these up

24l3I.jpg

This game gives me a good excuse!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hard alerts are a lot of fun. they're pretty much the perfect difficulty for when you are L30 but don't have a ton or any tier 1 gear yet. really important to have a good healer and controller though

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Sblargh said:
So, how do you people manage different characters? Do you have a main or do you try to keep everyone equal?
Its really just depends on what I'm in the mood for. Right now I'm enjoying leveling my fire char, later on I'll probably focus in on PvP stuff and switch back to my lvl 30 though.

Ok 2H Weapons are Broken in PvP, Serious Broken. Their stun does NOT have diminishing returns like other stuns, you cannot use your PvP trinket or any skill to get out of it so 2 people using 2H can stunlock ANYONE to death. Cannot be blocked or dodged, your just screwed the second you get hit once.

Not fun.

DY_nasty

ChronicleX said:
Ok 2H Weapons are Broken in PvP, Serious Broken. Their stun does NOT have diminishing returns like other stuns, you cannot use your PvP trinket or any skill to get out of it so 2 people using 2H can stunlock ANYONE to death. Cannot be blocked or dodged, your just screwed the second you get hit once.

Not fun.
Wait, what?

The stunlock shouldn't be any different.

DY_nasty said:
Wait, what?

The stunlock shouldn't be any different.

It is. The 2H stun requires you to bash on the Melee attack button to escape it, all other stuns require you to hammer on block and can be escaped from etc. It's pretty broken atm.

Hex

Banned
PC:
Made a Hero for PVP on Death and Glory, (Acrobat, Sorcery, Two Pistol) and will be diving in soon.
It is a copy of a new toon I did on Vice and Virtue so I will be able to get use to the powers.
(My main is Plant/Acrobat/Martial Arts)

Kingbrave

Hex said:
PC:
Made a Hero for PVP on Death and Glory, (Acrobat, Sorcery, Two Pistol) and will be diving in soon.
It is a copy of a new toon I did on Vice and Virtue so I will be able to get use to the powers.
(My main is Plant/Acrobat/Martial Arts)

I look forward to hunting you down. Volgrimm gives no mercy!

Mafro

Anyone else having trouble with Steam screenshots coming up blank in this game? They were working fine yesterday, but there was a Steam update this morning and ever since that every picture I take is just black. The normal in-game screenshots still work fine, though.

Nishastra

Banned
Hard-Light Shield is useful. I'm not sure what it scales with, though. At higher levels it seems to go down fairly quickly. But then, I do only use it in the most absurd situations, so it lasting longer would probably make it too strong :p

I've heard good things about Heat Vision, and Amazonium Deflection is apparently SuperBlock, reflecting attacks back at the attacker. It does use power, however.

Batarang is a short range cone stun/knockdown. It's good, but Throwing Knives from Acrobatics is better unless you NEED the stun (or don't have Acrobatics :p). Longer range, half the cost, faster animation, twice the damage.

I haven't used/heard much about any of the others except that everyone hates Word of Power.

DY_nasty

Word of Power is a lie.

Amazonian Deflection gives you God-tier defense for about 2 seconds... I heard Neo Venom is good stuff though. Not sure about Robot Sidekick.

Nishastra

Banned
Ah yeah, forgot about Neo-Venom. I should give that a shot. Most of what I'm good at is absurd amounts of damage and it adds another 50% weaponization, so when I throw a truck it'll be absolutely certain to kill something :p

Edit: Hmm, not sure. It gives me about 2% worth of defense and raises my damage... a bit. Seems to boost crit damage more than anything. Only lasts for 10 or so seconds, though.

Edit2: Just tried Sonic Shout. God damn, it's retardedly expensive. It's a lot like (dps mode) Shout from Shapeshifting except that it costs something like 700 power if you let it go all the way through.

Sblargh

Banned
Second day. Got to lvl 20 with my first char and I'm not even power leveling or stuff. I'm wasting a lot of time doing races and low level quests.
My last MMO experience was Everquest, where it was normal to spend two weeks, even one month getting one level. This is so brutally different. :lol

DY_nasty

It'd be great if Heat Vision actually caused burning.

I may still pick it up though. For the lulz.

edit: yeah, a lot of the iconic powers are ridiculously expensive

Sblargh said:
Second day. Got to lvl 20 with my first char and I'm not even power leveling or stuff. I'm wasting a lot of time doing races and low level quests.
My last MMO experience was Everquest, where it was normal to spend two weeks, even one month getting one level. This is so brutally different. :lol

Yeah they want you to roll alts in this. Hell the achievements require it. :)

Nishastra

Banned
Amazonium can be maintained for 5 seconds, and it costs about 100 power per second.

I can't really test its effectiveness against training dummies, though :p

Word of Power was such a waste of a point, I gotta respec it off someday. Besides it healing only for a tiny useless amount, it also has a long charge up to use that just leaves you floating in air getting beat on by enemies till it goes off.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I liked heat vision, but I believe there's mental effects that cause a bit more damage.

I do like batarangs for the range and stun.

Word of power sucks.

Throwing knives are OVERKILL EXTREME. Throw 3 in a room, and the room is cleared.

Nishastra

Banned
Lonestar said:
Throwing knives are OVERKILL EXTREME. Throw 3 in a room, and the room is cleared.
Yeah, it's my "Everything in this room must die NOW" power :p

Still, I don't need it much thanks to Intimidate + Full Auto.

I've tried out almost every iconic power now. Some of them have different names once you've actually got them...

Amazonium (Amazonian) makes you near-invulnerable and hurts anyone who attacks you for up to 5 seconds. It's very strong, but the massive power cost means you probably can't use it very often. Also, you have to hold it, so you can't do anything else while it's active.

Sonic Cry is a pretty impressive area stun, but it has a long cast time, a big power cost, and is interruptable.

Lasso is like Taser Pull from Gadgets or Grapple Line Attack from Acrobatics. Just a stun and pull.

Heat Vision is a simple single-target damage attack that pushes the enemy away. Not particularly strong, but it's not terrible.

Freezing Breath (Cold Breath) is pretty strong if you stick it out (has interruptable ticks like all the other breath/shout attacks), and it eventually roots the enemy.

Pheromone Bloom (Pheromone Garden) seems to be ludicrously powerful (I've been doing 400-700 damage with it, and it's an area attack), but it's slow as hell and interruptable. It's actually not that expensive considering what it does. It stuns as well.

Breath and Pheromone actually seem pretty good. If it wasn't for the cast time, I'd definitely use Pheromone.

Leunam

Was doing the OMAC duo today. Never done it before. The guy I was with seemed to know what he was doing. We get to the room where you can activate turrets and then have to fend off 30 OMACs when between waves the guy asks me if I'd ever done this instance before. I told him no and he bails. Fucking awesome. Next thing I know, someone else joins in but can't get in because the gate is shut, then I end up knocking out with two more mobs left to kill. I go back to where I was and who should be meeting me there but GAFs own Varna. We clear the instance and Gotham U and then part ways for the day, so much thanks to him.

chesspieceface said:
Dumb question, but how can I see the XP I currently have? I have no idea how many XP to get before my next level change...

The purple bar below your abilities.

Cool, thanks for the opinions on iconic powers.

Anyone on KJ feel like raiding Circe's headquarters with me? I'm keyboardless but have a headset...

Oh, and what's up with the wormhole devices? Anyone use 'em?

kai3345

Banned
Thinking about buying this game, i have a few questions though.

First of all, is it fun?

My favorite thing to do in WoW was the instances/ raids. Are there a lot of them? Are they good? How early on in the game do you have access to them?

Is there any sort of trial? If not, is the first month or something included with the purchase of the game?

DY_nasty

Mercury Fred said:
Cool, thanks for the opinions on iconic powers.

Anyone on KJ feel like raiding Circe's headquarters with me? I'm keyboardless but have a headset...

Oh, and what's up with the wormhole devices? Anyone use 'em?
The wormhole devices are okay when you want to switch between worlds and don't feel like going through the Watchtower/Hall of Doom to do it. I usually keep 2 of each in stock.

Arg the frustrations of lowbie characters. It seems like always its torture to get done the missions at Metropolis hospital with all the jerk wad lvl 30's going around ganking people.

Hex

Banned
PvP is working pretty much par for most games I have been involved in, and I am having alot of fun with it.
Have the usual 30s sharking the noob areas, have been able to take out an assortment of baddies of different types from levels 7-10 or so (I am 5) but always have a level 30 or two come in soon after.
They tend to like to shark around the rally points too, but such is the nature of the beast.
Is there somewhere to see your pvp stats other than just the feats?
Oh, name is Professor Arkham

cBb8W.jpg
eibcc.jpg

Leunam said:
The purple bar below your abilities.

ah of course!

And what does Already Collected means in the item description? Well I get it that it becomes Already Collected after I equip it, but what does this mean for the item?

BattleMonkey said:
Arg the frustrations of lowbie characters. It seems like always its torture to get done the missions at Metropolis hospital with all the jerk wad lvl 30's going around ganking people.

Group up and take them down. :lol

It's such sweet justice to take down a griefer +10 levels than you.

Leunam

chesspieceface said:
ah of course!

And what does Already Collected means in the item description? Well I get it that it becomes Already Collected after I equip it, but what does this mean for the item?

Already Collected only refers to style and it means you already have it as an option under the style tab. The item itself is still equipable but you won't get any new styles.

krypt0nian said:
Group up and take them down. :lol

It's such sweet justice to take down a griefer +10 levels than you.

Problem is that it's not easy to do, and the spawn points for both sides are right next to the hospital area. Also it was not a single griefer, a league called "The Syndicate" apparently is just going around butchering players in that area. Just trying to get those quests done there so I can move on. It's always been a clusterfuck of ganking in that one spot.

Leunam said:
Already Collected only refers to style and it means you already have it as an option under the style tab. The item itself is still equipable but you won't get any new styles.

So I need to equip any item first to get the style in the style tab?

DY_nasty

Sometimes I'd be responding to help shout and end up patrolling a lowbie area like Metropolis Hospital and after about 5 minutes into it I realize that 4 other 30s rolled in to clean house as well. It goes from being a simple hit on one griefer to an all-out purge of every red dot in the area.

So uh.... shout for help, it works. lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry guys I couldn't stick around, I had some company come over mid round and had to go. We should do it again some other time.

BattleMonkey said:
Problem is that it's not easy to do, and the spawn points for both sides are right next to the hospital area. Also it was not a single griefer, a league called "The Syndicate" apparently is just going around butchering players in that area. Just trying to get those quests done there so I can move on. It's always been a clusterfuck of ganking in that one spot.

It seems to be a constant problem for the heroes on Death & Glory. Villains seem to vastly outnumber heroes, so even if we do manage to gather a group, it just invites an even bigger villain group most of the time. It just became too much hassle so I'm giving PvP a rest for now. :p

hermit7

Don't you think it would be cool to configure certain scenarios if you are a villain, say you wanted to make a bank robbery. You could plan it out, buy a disguise etc. If they set off an alarm a hero could be summoned. Whomever wins gets quest rewards and marks. I think that it would allow for a unique gameplay component which is sorely missing in a superhero game.

To me even the villain quests are to heroey. I want to cause some mayhem.

Top Bottom