• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

livestOne

Just joined up as drhorrible on KJ if someone can throw me an invite it would be much appreciated.

Also trading dps for longevity seems retarded, either the fights over quickly or it lasts longer and you die anyway cuz your dps is shot.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
livestOne said:
Just joined up as drhorrible on KJ if someone can throw me an invite it would be much appreciated.

Also trading dps for longevity seems retarded, either the fights over quickly or it lasts longer and you die anyway cuz your dps is shot.
DPS for longevity can make a lot of sense depending on your playstyle.

A glass cannon with sufficient parts around it is gonna melt faces.

Foxix Von

DY_nasty said:
DPS for longevity can make a lot of sense depending on your playstyle.

A glass cannon with sufficient parts around it is gonna melt faces.

I'm sort of assume it's just a nifty way of auto nerfing abilities to present a more even approach to PVP. Adjusting the focus of combat to weapon vs weapon and making it somewhat more skill based and reliant on using stuns, blocks, and interrupts etc, rather than just power blasting.

I understand their motivation behind it, I'm just not sure how I feel about it yet. Then again I don't really run DPS in arena PVP anyway. I really, really enjoy being a healer and just winning my fights via attrition :D

livestOne said:

Hardly. Many classes, the dps trade off is very minor or the stat different makes not much impact especially since it is purely power related. As I noted, some classes will not want to make the trade off, while some builds will benefit greatly from all the other increased stats.

PVP gear also will usually increase ones many other stats over the base games gear giving other benefits that you are trading might for.

It's not about making pvp in general last longer, the protection can be extremely beneficial to various builds that don't depend on their powers for major dps, and with all the crazy dps that can be put out in group combat, a full on toughness set will give you a nice protection boost. My dual pistol mental character build does most of it's damage from it's weapon combos, not my powers, so the increased precision over might gives me better dps really while also the protection boost from toughness in pvp.

So at 30, notice my renown is still friggin low with every faction. What do I need to do to increase it mainly? Repeating instances at 30 seems pretty lame, assume alters and duos affect certain renown?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
So at 30, notice my renown is still friggin low with every faction. What do I need to do to increase it mainly? Repeating instances at 30 seems pretty lame, assume alters and duos affect certain renown?
alerts and duos don't affect renown. i got most of my renown from doing the wanted posters while waiting in queues

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BattleMonkey said:
You get 40 renown points for every bounty you complete and ~120 for every challenge mode instance.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
livestOne said:

Very Nice choice on name. I assume someone might have grabbed Dr. Horrible, but no spaces works as well.

icechai

Leunam said:
Had no idea there were races in this game that transform you into a gorilla with a jetpack.

What a fantastic game.

and if you notice it says those are multiplayer races... not sure how it works, do you queue up in a group? more info needed from sony which has done a pretty bad job of doing for this game :p.

icechai

livestOne said:
Drhorrible come on, villain of course ;)

what if you went through trauma from villains in your childhood and vowed to bring horrors to every villain from now on. I mean, Batman isn't exactly a heroic name either.. :p

icechai said:
and if you notice it says those are multiplayer races... not sure how it works, do you queue up in a group? more info needed from sony which has done a pretty bad job of doing for this game :p.

I think other people can join while you wait for the start. I accidentally started one not knowing what it was and the countdown to Go was about 15-25 seconds.

DY_nasty

Any consensus on the best weapon for criticals combo-wise? The staff is okay, but its got two hits within its stun portions that are just a bunch of really small hits instead of anything really damaging. I'm thinking of switching to brawling or even dual pistols....

Leunam

Dual pistols and martial arts are great for criticals from what I understand. I know I get bonuses to critical damage/chance from the dual pistol tree and I think staff gets them too. You can keep staff and invest some points in other skill trees to get those bonuses.

Leunam

Branson said:
Does this have a free trial period? Like 30 days?

First 30 days, yes. But you still need to put in credit card info to play, you just won't be charged for the first month.

Unless you mean downloadable trial, in which case, no.

has anyone done the "solo" instances for the other "mentors" yet? For example if you chose joker as your mentor have you done the instances to get feats for the meta and magic? I am told if i am in a group i can get into the instances, I hope its that easy.

livestOne said:

Ok now I feel bad for killing you at the hospital. Kid Chloro here.

Branson

Leunam said:
First 30 days, yes. But you still need to put in credit card info to play, you just won't be charged for the first month.

Unless you mean downloadable trial, in which case, no.
Ok, and yea I meant subscription trial, not download and play for free lol.

Killthee

arts&crafts said:
has anyone done the "solo" instances for the other "mentors" yet? For example if you chose joker as your mentor have you done the instances to get feats for the meta and magic? I am told if i am in a group i can get into the instances, I hope its that easy.
I have, my mentor is Circe and I've done the Joker mission 3 separate times with other league members. You just have to be grouped up to gain access to another person's instance.

DY_nasty

Leunam said:
Dual pistols and martial arts are great for criticals from what I understand. I know I get bonuses to critical damage/chance from the dual pistol tree and I think staff gets them too. You can keep staff and invest some points in other skill trees to get those bonuses.
Yeah, I've branched into Dual Pistols to get some of the bonuses but I still my main staffs.

Its just a bitch because I want my big hits and combo finishes to crit - not my bs stun locking moves.

Mass Detonation criticals have been known to stop the sun from rising in Gotham though.

Sblargh

Banned
chixdiggit said:
Still wondering what the penalty for death is? Do I just respawn at the base? Is PVP different than death from a NPC?

Penalty for death is the durability of your equipment. If you die a lot, repairing costs increase a lot.

Killthee

chixdiggit said:
Is PVP different than death from a NPC?
I believe so. Equipment doesn't really get damaged from a PvP death while a NPC death will eventually force you to repair.

Leunam

Actually, it was released some time ago. Last week, I think.

As good as Lex is in DCUO, I kinda wish they got the voice actor that played him in the Superman TAS. Every time I read Lex in books I always use his voice.

kai3345

Banned
Leunam said:
Actually, it was released some time ago. Last week, I think.

As good as Lex is in DCUO, I kinda wish they got the voice actor that played him in the Superman TAS. Every time I read Lex in books I always use his voice.
Lex Luthor is not Lex Luthor without Clancy Brown

Sblargh said:
Penalty for death is the durability of your equipment. If you die a lot, repairing costs increase a lot.

The more rare the item the more expensive to repair as well. Later on when you got nice gear sets of rare loot to repair, your repair bills go out the roof.

chixdiggit said:
In PVP can they loot my gear?

You_Kent_Always_Say_What_You_Want.jpg

Killthee

US PS Store has been updated. You can find the $29.99 3 Month Legend Sub either by searching the store for DC Universe or by clicking the New Releases tab in the front page and then scrolling down until you find the DCUO folder.

The sub will stack on top of your current sub/free trial.

20110209-fyni9r4tcb4wspep51ywp9mnda.jpg

hermit7

Killthee said:
US PS Store has been updated. You can find the $29.99 3 Month Legend Sub either by searching the store for DC Universe or by clicking the New Releases tab in the front page and then scrolling down until you find the DCUO folder.

The sub will stack on top of your current sub/free trial.

http://img.skitch.com/20110209-fyni9r4tcb4wspep51ywp9mnda.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Just bought this as well.

Looking forward to the upcoming content.

Sblargh

Banned
I haven't done hard alerts or raids or duos, but speaking of the normal alerts, the hardest is always gorilla island, ever since the beta, not because of its difficulty, but because people of lvl 15ish absolutely refuses to cycle instance.
-
Being a healer with 3 DPs is hell. They can't stop you from being pounded, they don't restore your power, they don't control crowds. They just keep hitting and getting those 3 or 4 heals until I run out of power.
And then everyone dies.

DY_nasty

Fire pissed me off today. The delay on EVERYTHING worth having is making me rage.

I tried so hard to use skills that ignored that self-healing so that I wouldn't feel so bad about going pure dps but its only made me feel bad. Oh well... maybe I'll make another character lulz

One of the guys in my league got the jetpack from the vault, so goddamn jealous, I haven't found anything half decent in there for over a week...

Killthee said:
I have, my mentor is Circe and I've done the Joker mission 3 separate times with other league members. You just have to be grouped up to gain access to another person's instance.

Yeah you did the Joker mission with me :)

Sblargh said:
I haven't done hard alerts or raids or duos, but speaking of the normal alerts, the hardest is always gorilla island, ever since the beta, not because of its difficulty, but because people of lvl 15ish absolutely don't know how to to cycle instance.

Fixed it for you

Almost 30 with my healer.
Switched from martial arts to dual wield.
Wanted the extra restoration, but I'm especially pleased with the energy restoration,
each hit counts as 2 in the combo meter.
Higher combo's = faster energy regen.

So using staff with my hero and got a combo that just doesn't seem to work. It follows same first two steps as another combo so it just launches into the original one. The new combo is the one that is supposed to launch an opponent in the air to juggle, that you press square, then hold square, then hold square, followed by 5 hits. Problem is when you do the first hold square it launches a different combo you first learn and the rest of the combo doesn't seem to ever work.

Top Bottom