• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

hermit7

AstroLad said:
as a troller i thought these were guidelines for trollers. i find they are generally quite low. for example i've been 300 almost since i hit 30 and it says for raids you should have 300 yet imo i'm not geared for raids yet
The dominance thing is for tanks and controllers so that stuns and aggro are controlled.

For all classes tier 1 gear is most important, although I find that even duo and alert drops are pretty sufficient, as the upgrades individually are pretty marginal at best.

icechai

hermit7 said:
The dominance thing is for tanks and controllers so that stuns and aggro are controlled.

For all classes tier 1 gear is most important, although I find that even duo and alert drops are pretty sufficient, as the upgrades individually are pretty marginal at best.

yeah, what mainly you need tier 1 fully for is raids when your defense matters a lot more. Had a team of pugs who did batcave, and we got the the last room before wiping too many times and people called it quits, damage was just being taken like no tomorrow even with 2 healers and 2 trollers.

Sblargh

Banned
Grr, I'm having this weird problem downloading the new patch, where it says I'll have to wait 500-600 minutes to do it. I tried to reconfigure the conection a lot, turned it on and off a million times. Other games work, DCUO was working fine before the patch, downloaded patch 1.04 without problem and nothing changed since.
-
Btw, I don't think the actual download is this slow, but it will take at least a couple of hours. For a 122MB patch this is urgh.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sblargh said:
Grr, I'm having this weird problem downloading the new patch, where it says I'll have to wait 500-600 minutes to do it. I tried to reconfigure the conection a lot, turned it on and off a million times. Other games work, DCUO was working fine before the patch, downloaded patch 1.04 without problem and nothing changed since.
-
Btw, I don't think the actual download is this slow, but it will take at least a couple of hours. For a 122MB patch this is urgh.
That sucks. It took me just a couple of minutes.

So raided again today, did batcave in under and hour, got feat and barely missed out on kasdaq or watever its called in under an hour (we were 65 minutes, we wiped 2x on
Yeah... Him
or we would of got that one too. I'm sitting pretty on 58 skillpoints atm with more to come. It also seemed to be tank day as nearly every drop was a tank item so I managed to get that Tank Hand blaster I wanted (and a brawler but after messing around, its too slow for my tastes). So long Epic Tank Bow! Your skillpoints will not be missed!

I've now respeced into a pure tank spec now, working wonders. Pumped all my points into HP, Heal Crit anc Heal Crit Chance. 8416 HP in tank mode with the blasters when everything is up, 8686 using the brawler and I can now crit heal myself with reignite for between 3-3.5K. Good stuff <3

OK, so I had a rather hilarious moment while solo-ing with my new villain on the PvP server. She's a mental, bow-using flyer. I was doing part of the science police/ Trigon mission and this hero a couple levels up from me started to attack. I happened to have Mass Hysteria all charged up, so I used it and stomped all over him with this giant, spectral freaky purple form. So funny. After I killed him, he went after me several more times, but I managed to take him out each time. El oh el.

Anyone have any tips on using flight? I'm used to super speed and flight feels wonky. Are any of the flight skills any good? I'm using the speedy one that's available at level 9 already...

Sblargh

Banned
Gee, what a weird error. After not being able to download the patch after hours trying, I googled again for a solution and turns out I had to use Google DNS to make it work.

So, if anyone else have problem downloading 1.05 as it happened to a few people around the world, just change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
And if someone who knows what this is about can tell me if this will make my internet conection vulnerable or I don't know, please let me know.

Tux

Mercury Fred said:
OK, so I had a rather hilarious moment while solo-ing with my new villain on the PvP server. She's a mental, bow-using flyer. I was doing part of the science police/ Trigon mission and this hero a couple levels up from me started to attack. I happened to have Mass Hysteria all charged up, so I used it and stomped all over him with this giant, spectral freaky purple form. So funny. After I killed him, he went after me several more times, but I managed to take him out each time. El oh el.

Anyone have any tips on using flight? I'm used to super speed and flight feels wonky. Are any of the flight skills any good? I'm using the speedy one that's available at level 9 already...

The flying circles around someone skill is pretty effective. And there's a rush-knock-down one that I love to use. It's like the rush move that warriors use in WoW. But you don't have to be flying to use it. But it's in the flying tree.

Tux said:
The flying circles around someone skill is pretty effective. And there's a rush-knock-down one that I love to use. It's like the rush move that warriors use in WoW. But you don't have to be flying to use it. But it's in the flying tree.

Indeed, its how you chase people down as flying. Its a must have skill for World PvP otherwise people will just attack you once (causing you to fly slow) then leg it. Downdraft attack is also really good especially in a sky battle, using that will take someone out of the fight since they cannot fly anymore.

Sblargh said:
And if someone who knows what this is about can tell me if this will make my internet conection vulnerable or I don't know, please let me know.

A DNS works the same way torrent trackers do, it is a massive list telling your PC where what you want is. You type in a web address, thats sent to the DNS, the DNS matches the web address to the IP then returns that IP to you. Using Google DNS just means google knows everything your internet connects to via web address unless you use a proxy.

Sblargh said:
Gee, what a weird error. After not being able to download the patch after hours trying, I googled again for a solution and turns out I had to use Google DNS to make it work.

So, if anyone else have problem downloading 1.05 as it happened to a few people around the world, just change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Yeah I've switched to that that DNS to make my thoughts vids stream perfectly.

kai3345

Banned
Just did Area 51 for the first time. Kinda lame that all 3 of the mini bosses were the exact same guy. But otherwise it was pretty fun.

It didnt really feel like WoW where it was "Play your role or we all die"

This was everyone pretty much doing their own thing. The boss fights were the only time we really used teramwork.

kai3345 said:
Just did Area 51 for the first time. Kinda lame that all 3 of the mini bosses were the exact same guy. But otherwise it was pretty fun.

This was everyone pretty much doing their own thing. The boss fights were the only time we really used teramwork.

The regular alerts you get before you hit 30 are designed that you can just queue up for them with 4 random ppl and play through them. I've done some with only 3 people even, and you can get through them without a healer.

Once you hit 30 and start doing hard mode alerts, you need to work as a team and play your roles like in other MMOs. Raids also of course require team work

Two new DCUO statues revealed-

exclusive-the-joker-harley-quinn-dc-universe-online-statues-20110210001058061-000.jpg

exclusive-the-joker-harley-quinn-dc-universe-online-statues-20110210001048280-000.jpg

Available in November.

Killthee

chesspieceface said:
Just noticed there's some kind of new skull icon just to the right of the health-power UI bar, anyone know what this means?
It sounds like the PvP flag. If you're on a PvE server you can turn it off by pressing up on the dpad/F1 and then toggling PvP off. If you're in a PvP server/Arena match it'll always be on.

Killthee said:
It sounds like the PvP flag. If you're on a PvE server you can turn it off by pressing up on the dpad/F1 and then toggling PvP off. If you're in a PvP server/Arena match it'll always be on.

Make sense, the game crashed while I was in a Legend PVP arena, so it must have stayed on when I logged back again.

Tux said:

ChronicleX said:
Indeed, its how you chase people down as flying. Its a must have skill for World PvP otherwise people will just attack you once (causing you to fly slow) then leg it. Downdraft attack is also really good especially in a sky battle, using that will take someone out of the fight since they cannot fly anymore.

Thanks guys. Do you know the names of the skills?

Killthee

hermit7 said:
Does anyone know what the currency for PvP gear is that is a skull?

Hadn't seen it before and was curious.
Influence. You get 25 for losing an Arena round, 50 for winning, and 1 point for every kill you participate in (might be for every team kill, haven't really paid attention to it).

Sblargh

Banned
Anyone has a league or legion on Redemption? I have a 30 villain mental controller and a 23 (I think I'll hit 30 saturday or something) hero sorcery healer.

My current stats, pretty happy with my spec now. Shame the stats screen doesn't tell you things like your current crit damage or chance etc.
96b82a.jpg

icechai

just leveled my Sorcerer to 30, and loving the versatility (the fact that your damage build and healing build is completely different), as opposed to controller, where you can pretty much have the same loadout. However I do miss the mass stuns that my mental troller does to mobs. They play so differently that's it's pretty fun switching around both characters. But in terms of single target damage, sorcery just MIGHT have a slight edge on the pyrokinesis spamming of mentalists. They have a cheap low recharge weapon imbue spell that gives an extra 80 ish damage for 3 attacks, and a damage spell that almost doubles the nuke damage if used when their hp is 35% or lower, which is basically instant death (love when villain tanks think they can still take some damage before healing... and BOOM). :)

But they HAVE to fix handblasters and dual pistols. EVERYONE is pretty much using those exploits, heck, in open world pvp unless you're with other people, you have to use it too if you want to survive against them. It's gotten to the point of plain silliness. I could take down a lvl 30 in 5 seconds back when I was lvl 24 with the pistols, it's that messed up. Handblaster isn't as bad because you have to hold it for 3-4 seconds to really get the glitch, but you still see everyone using that instead of the other combos so on that chance they get that 1 extra second, you're dead. Once they fix it and things level out again, I can go back to my one handed katana.

icechai said:
But they HAVE to fix handblasters and dual pistols. EVERYONE is pretty much using those exploits, heck, in open world pvp unless you're with other people, you have to use it too if you want to survive against them. It's gotten to the point of plain silliness. I could take down a lvl 30 in 5 seconds back when I was lvl 24 with the pistols, it's that messed up. Handblaster isn't as bad because you have to hold it for 3-4 seconds to really get the glitch, but you still see everyone using that instead of the other combos so on that chance they get that 1 extra second, you're dead. Once they fix it and things level out again, I can go back to my one handed katana.

Which Glitch?
I haven't encountered it yet,
could you elaborate?

icechai

BattleMonkey said:
I will resist learning it... unless it proves useful for the team for alerts/raids lol

actually if you're in DPS, the highest DPS scores are always the dual pistol users now (which is kind of the opposite of what the weapon is supposed to be about. high combo, good aoe full auto, but not the ridiculous damage).

As far as learning it, you'll probably accidentally do it a few times, it's that easy and messed up. The ONLY redeeming factor is the damage is split, so its HEAVY damage to 1 mob, but starts getting smaller the more mobs are around. Also if the last hit of the combo is blocked before the glitch, the glitch won't happen (only way to beat pistol users is to get that block). Another interesting note, if they use it in PVP Legends as Huntress or the Joker, they lose their ability to block for the rest of that life. So once you see someone do it, spam your hardest hitting multihit skill (hammer as Harvey) and you'll kill them pretty instantly.

Zeal

Banned
sorry guys, but is the US login server down? i of course checked the official forums, but it's an absolute clusterfuck of information. you can't find shit.

they need an official server status page. jesus.

PS-- Still having a blast with this game. got a level 30 hero and currently working on my first level 30 villain. both sides are an absolute blast to play. best MMO in over a decade.

icechai

Zeal said:
sorry guys, but is the US login server down? i of course checked the official forums, but it's an absolute clusterfuck of information. you can't find shit.

they need an official server status page. jesus.

PS-- Still having a blast with this game. got a level 30 hero and currently working on my first level 30 villain. both sides are an absolute blast to play. best MMO in over a decade.

yeah on the forums they posted in tech issues that there was a problem and they were working on it. seems like its back up now.

i also love this mmo, first one since guild wars that i've thoroughly enjoyed so much, as I like making alts. However the endgame right now needs some improvement as its just a daily grind of duos/raids with the occasional legends play at the moment.

Tux

kai3345 said:

It's gets harder. Some of my friends that have epic lv toons say that you don't really need a tank (since they have DPS'ers that can handle the damage). But he says that you absolutely need heals in the harder level instances and raids.

He's doing "hard mode" though. He went in once with one dps, one controller and two heals and the bosses took longer to down, but since they had two heals the dps could live.

I hope they change that, since I think the tank should be required. At least a de-crit bonus for using tanks spec. Something.

Sblargh

Banned
Just did bludhaven on lvl 24 with my healer and a controller lvl 28 and two DPSs lvl 28.
It was easy.
eeeeeasy. Team died one or two times only.
-
Start new battle, do defense buff, make that healing circle, make the other healing thing and as long as I kept it all up, barely had to actual heal. Hope this keeps up.
Rest of the group was good too, having a controller keeping you recharged is heaven. when chemo actually came, we had the whole hazmat team alive, and with the aforementioned buffs and heals, it felt like I was just mashing the attack button until he died.

Mims

Finally decided to buy it. Its been pretty fun so far. Could anybody on KJ villian side send an invite to Selba?

Hex

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
I hate you vault, why not give me something awesome like this? :(

http://twitpic.com/3ysd4q

I love the superspeed boots, though they wreck my stats it is fun to just run around like crazy.
I wish I got them on my pvp toon so I could switch them on when I needed to get the hell out of dodge and acrobatics just isn't getting me out fast enough.

Is that the one that makes you like a ghost?

Hex said:
I love the superspeed boots, though they wreck my stats it is fun to just run around like crazy.
I wish I got them on my pvp toon so I could switch them on when I needed to get the hell out of dodge and acrobatics just isn't getting me out fast enough.

Is that the one that makes you like a ghost?

No, this one turns you into an OMAC for a minute, adds around 3000hp to your character, not sure what it does damage wise.

FredFish

Maybe it's just me but that Tank we had for the Stryker's alert seemed to really drop the ball in that room with the four metas. I didn't see him in front of target for nearly any of the cycle. It's why I kept repeating "OK so Mirror guy first, then Storm dude then Ice then Fire...right?" I guess he didn't pick up on that. Oh well, we made it in the end but geez I really need to level up my Tank alt

Holy shit, Fred. I should have taken your offer to team up today.

I ended up doing Oolong with monkeys that kept on triggering multiple scientists and locking out part of the team on the Tornado Tyrant despite my constant protests.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FredFish said:
Maybe it's just me but that Tank we had for the Stryker's alert seemed to really drop the ball in that room with the four metas. I didn't see him in front of target for nearly any of the cycle. It's why I kept repeating "OK so Mirror guy first, then Storm dude then Ice then Fire...right?" I guess he didn't pick up on that. Oh well, we made it in the end but geez I really need to level up my Tank alt
some tanks are bad it's a tough role to figure out i guess. in most groups i am troller but also lead or close second dps so when i have a boss chasing me around the entire time even with grandeur equipped it's annoying as fuck and almost certain doom

FredFish said:

Well 2 things wrong there. First, you kill the storm guy first not Mirror, you kill mirror second. Reason is storm is a pain in the backside, has the lowest hp of the 4 and the only 1 that will move around the room. The real mirror is the that does not move from his post shooting lasers at you, and when he dies his clones die too. After that you can kill ice or fire in any order really though if your "Bad" at this you will want to kill ice first, since you need fire alive to defrost yourself should ice's frost attack hit you. The only hard thing about that fight is remembering to defrost yourself so you do not become ping-ponged around the room.

AstroLad said:
some tanks are bad it's a tough role to figure out i guess. in most groups i am troller but also lead or close second dps so when i have a boss chasing me around the entire time even with grandeur equipped it's annoying as fuck and almost certain doom

The game as new, the problem is people trying to tank things undergeared or in the wrong gear or spec. They think "Oh tank role automatically makes me a tank, I can do what I want, yay!" and that is not the case. It took me a ton of respecs, experimentation, etc to get to the stage I am at now for example, so it's going to take alot longer for someone not experimenting or "trying" to understand how to play their role.

Killthee

FredFish said:
Completely agree. It seemed like he had a hard time keeping his aggro up in that room. He was doing great with the mobs up until that point.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChronicleX said:
The game as new, the problem is people trying to tank things undergeared or in the wrong gear or spec. They think "Oh tank role automatically makes me a tank, I can do what I want, yay!" and that is not the case. It took me a ton of respecs, experimentation, etc to get to the stage I am at now for example, so it's going to take alot longer for someone not experimenting or "trying" to understand how to play their role.
yeah exactly, which is why i'm never tough on people unless they're just blatantly being stupid. i've been running into a lot of undergeared people in the 30 alerts recently unfortunately but thankfully i have league people i can play with too.

FredFish

Don't want to sound like a know-it-all. It was my first time doing the alert and the order was something given by a group member with experience there. I completely understand that it's early days and people are learning mechanics and what-not but really how difficult is it to realize that you can't Tank at range? I can understand being blown around a bit by the storm guy and losing position momentarily but the guy wasn't stepping up to anchor our assaults even after we took down the storm meta. I would be fine with it being a gear problem or needing a respec but basic "Tank needs to be in mob's face and stay there until it dies or you do" is what baffled me

Where is the Simon Municipal building? It's the last place I need to complete my exploration feats and its not on the maps and been running around the tomorrow district forever and can't find it.

Top Bottom