• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BattleMonkey said:
Where is the Simon Municipal building? It's the last place I need to complete my exploration feats and its not on the maps and been running around the tomorrow district forever and can't find it.
I think that's a bridge, not a building.

Hmm don't remember seeing any bridges either lol. Getting annoying, what a crappy day it's been. Can't find anything, 2 game lock ups, queue's taking forever and when I get anything it's a bugged alert with a locked room or messed up Duo. Glitches galore, ugh what a frustrating day of trying to play this.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Hmm don't remember seeing any bridges either lol. Getting annoying, what a crappy day it's been. Can't find anything, 2 game lock ups, queue's taking forever and when I get anything it's a bugged alert with a locked room or messed up Duo. Glitches galore, ugh what a frustrating day of trying to play this.
Well there's only one bridge connected to the Tomorrow District so that should be it.

20110213-qfds6mutjfie6y2mjiqf9gs22i.jpg

FredFish said:
Don't want to sound like a know-it-all. It was my first time doing the alert and the order was something given by a group member with experience there. I completely understand that it's early days and people are learning mechanics and what-not but really how difficult is it to realize that you can't Tank at range? I can understand being blown around a bit by the storm guy and losing position momentarily but the guy wasn't stepping up to anchor our assaults even after we took down the storm meta. I would be fine with it being a gear problem or needing a respec but basic "Tank needs to be in mob's face and stay there until it dies or you do" is what baffled me

This isn't WoW. You can tank at range in this game perfectly fine and for alot of things its better to tank at range. Hell alot of encounters you NEED to tank at range. You know as little about tanking in this game as the tank you had for that alert. You are in no position to judge or attempt to correct someone when you do no know how to. Tank agro comes from hitting things with spells or targeting them and using a spell. Your lockon target is always agro'd even if the spell misses but for aoe agro (IE what you are not locked onto) you must hit them with it for it to count. It does not matter if your ranged or melee, what matters is having the right skills to tank with and knowing when/how to use them.

Also from the sounds of things you were doing Strikers Island. If the tank you were with was did not have enough dominance then his taunting ability is nullified. Dominance is like a "hit cap" for taunts/CC on tanks, without the min amount they are useless but too much is a waste. Also alot of the time a bad controller will cause bad tanking, keep that in mind.

No. Dominance is what determines if your tanking abilities will effect the mob or not. Example if you do not have the 350 dominance required and attempt to raid, skills that knockdown mobs or pull them towards you, will not knock them down or pull them towards you and will not taunt as strongly. On bosses it will feel like your tank does not exist if it does not have the required dominance.

krypt0nian said:
Holy shit, Fred. I should have taken your offer to team up today.

I ended up doing Oolong with monkeys that kept on triggering multiple scientists and locking out part of the team on the Tornado Tyrant despite my constant protests.
=/

I enjoyed a doomed solo run to battle Aquaman. Horrible!

Wallach

Found a small group of folks to play with over on Zero Hour, all of us being fairly new 30s (I just tonight got enough tokens for the T1 chest), but we have cleared most of the HMs except for Arkham, which we haven't tried yet. I think for now we're just going to clear A51/Ace/Watch/Small to farm tokens. We did Smallville for the first time tonight and I thought it was way easy compared to Stryker's (which seems a billion times longer than Smallville). We only had 3 people for the final boss because our controller was bugged and caught in a grab animation loop and still beat it without problems.

theta11

Wallach said:
Found a small group of folks to play with over on Zero Hour, all of us being fairly new 30s (I just tonight got enough tokens for the T1 chest), but we have cleared most of the HMs except for Arkham, which we haven't tried yet. I think for now we're just going to clear A51/Ace/Watch/Small to farm tokens. We did Smallville for the first time tonight and I thought it was way easy compared to Stryker's (which seems a billion times longer than Smallville). We only had 3 people for the final boss because our controller was bugged and caught in a grab animation loop and still beat it without problems.

Strykers is actually shorter than Smallville. Strykers has 4 bosses and Strykers 3. I've managed to get to Grodd at around the 20 minute mark. I've never been able to get to Doomsday that fast without the glitch.

Wallach

theta11 said:
Strykers is actually shorter than Smallville. Strykers has 4 bosses and Strykers 3. I've managed to get to Grodd at around the 20 minute mark. I've never been able to get to Doomsday that fast without the glitch.

That's what I'd heard, it just felt a lot longer (or at the very least significantly harder).

theta11 said:

No you have not done strikers that fast, it just feels faster . IF you do strikers in under 30 mins you get a feat and I know you do not have that, because I barely managed to get strikers done in 29 minutes the other day with a perfect run. There is also a feat for Smallvillie in under 20 mins (not possbile unless the second boss glitches and you do not have to collect the 5 mobs, my best without the glitch is 25 minutes and that is with killing doomsday on the first power station thing) and Arkham in 30 mins (which means doing every section + bosses in around 7 minutes each..... yeah.......). Just because something feels short doesn't mean it is and vice versa. Area 51 HA feels really long to most people because of how its set up, yet the feat is for under 20 minutes (which I managed awhile back, did it in 19:44).

Also in terms of difficulty strikers is the hardest. So if you can do that 1 you can easily do the others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wallach said:
i'm on zero hour! astrolad

beaten them all though i defer to literally everyone else but just in my experience i feel that arkham is the toughest. i would also note the toughest boss of the Normal hard alerts is the goddam hacker especially if you lack a good tank

Circuit Breaker is dead easy. It never moves mainly uses ranged attacks and has a very weak ranged attack. The statue army is much harder by the virtue that it can actually kill you, the Circuit Breaker is harmless.

The hardest bosses (Though IMO they are all easy) are

Clownsanity - Due to it being able to pick up the tank then beating the healer to death with it.
Watchman + Rinty - Because you cannot hold agro on Rinty with Watchman alive, and that dog loves healer chow.
The Metal Mimes - "Urrrrrgggghhhh........"

What do the above 3 have in common? All 1 of the possible bosses of Ace Chemicals. They are the only bosses that are not a simple case of "Tank + Spank" and are the hardest on that basis alone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that's funny i never had a problem with ace chemicals even when i was a new 30. oh well different strokes. then again i play in a lot of queues so there's a lot of variables instead of just cheesing a boss with a highly geared group and everyone knowing what they're doing. actually like it that way though it can occasionally be maddening

Fun breezing through bounty hunting with GAFers this AM.

I'm stuck on a mission that I think is bugged for me. It's Beat the Heat, a villain mission in Gotham. There's a component in which you have to activate five police radios. I keep activating them, but it's not counting them when it happens. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I'm digging my villain, but still want to get some hero time in if anyone's down. My guy's at 24, but I'm having a hard time progressing solo with him. If anyone in the KJ villain league has a hero alt they want to play with, lemme know!

Mercury Fred said:
Fun breezing through bounty hunting with GAFers this AM.

I'm stuck on a mission that I think is bugged for me. It's Beat the Heat, a villain mission in Gotham. There's a component in which you have to activate five police radios. I keep activating them, but it's not counting them when it happens. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I'm digging my villain, but still want to get some hero time in if anyone's down. My guy's at 24, but I'm having a hard time progressing solo with him. If anyone in the KJ villain league has a hero alt they want to play with, lemme know!

If it's the one where you have to ambush the cops for Mr.Freeze, you just have to activate the radios and just beat up the 3 cops that spawn and run towards the car.

canadian crowe said:
If it's the one where you have to ambush the cops for Mr.Freeze, you just have to activate the radios and just beat up the 3 cops that spawn and run towards the car.
Hmm, OK, I haven't been waiting for cops to spawn after I activate them. That must be it. Thanks!

Fitz

Just did the Kahndaq and Batcave raids today and I was surprised at how simple they were, as a healer at least, the only times I had trouble were when people would be too slow to move out of raid damage really. Hopefully the content being added in the future will step up the difficulty quite a bit otherwise I can see myself getting bored of the PvE pretty fast. Really enjoying Legends mode though, it will be so fantastic once bug/balance issues have been sorted.

Question. I've just entered the building where I have to rescue Flash from Gorilla Grodd. I'm supposed to do this on my own right? Seems a little tough for just one but would probably way too easy for more than 2.

Nishastra

Banned
So, after getting my Controller and a Tank to level 30, I've come to the conclusion... again... that I most like being a Healer.

So I made another one, because that's how I do things :p

rqepJ.png

There she is. Her name is Lily Lunatic, and she's a Nature/Bow type.

Fitz

VGChampion said:
Question. I've just entered the building where I have to rescue Flash from Gorilla Grodd. I'm supposed to do this on my own right? Seems a little tough for just one but would probably way too easy for more than 2.

Yeah, the hideouts are all soloable, although some can be pretty tough depending on your class/weapon type. Like I had a lot of trouble doing Bane with one of my characters using Dual Pistols, but I completely destroyed him with my Two Hander character.

Killthee

Colkate said:
Yeah, the hideouts are all soloable, although some can be pretty tough depending on your class/weapon type. Like I had a lot of trouble doing Bane with one of my characters using Dual Pistols, but I completely destroyed him with my Two Hander character.
Am I the only one who hates doing them alone? It's much more fun when you're grouped up with people, even randoms. I think this is the reason why I'm hating challenge mode so much.

Fitz

I quite like the change of pace tbh, I think because I'm quite aggressive when it comes to world PvP, so out in the open I always feel on edge, the Hideouts always feel really relaxing to me, like I've paused the game and am playing some mini game on the menu I can take my time with.

Killthee said:
Am I the only one who hates doing them alone? It's much more fun when you're grouped up with people, even randoms. I think this is the reason why I'm hating challenge mode so much.

That and the hours you spend on doing challenge modes repeating them probably doesn't help :D

theta11

ChronicleX said:
No you have not done strikers that fast, it just feels faster . IF you do strikers in under 30 mins you get a feat and I know you do not have that, because I barely managed to get strikers done in 29 minutes the other day with a perfect run. There is also a feat for Smallvillie in under 20 mins (not possbile unless the second boss glitches and you do not have to collect the 5 mobs, my best without the glitch is 25 minutes and that is with killing doomsday on the first power station thing) and Arkham in 30 mins (which means doing every section + bosses in around 7 minutes each..... yeah.......). Just because something feels short doesn't mean it is and vice versa. Area 51 HA feels really long to most people because of how its set up, yet the feat is for under 20 minutes (which I managed awhile back, did it in 19:44).

Also in terms of difficulty strikers is the hardest. So if you can do that 1 you can easily do the others.

I've got the Strykers feat with 4 minutes to spare. The fastest I've ever been able to complete Smallville is 25:35. At the moment I breeze through Strykers in under 30 minutes every time unless we are taking new people. I also can kill Doomsday at the first power station pretty reliably, it's rare if he makes it to the 2nd. Actually, I've got the 30 minute Stryker feat on both my main and my alt lol. At the moment the only the only speed feets I don't have are Arkham, Smallville and Kahndaq. Arkham because of PS3 I'm guessing, when we move through we get a crapton of loading errors so like the plant things you need to open the doors are invisible, the ice doors don't open plus the countless invisible enemies. I really want to finish the Smallville feat but I got no idea how to generate the bug. My guess is though Smallville was originally meant to be a normal alert but at the last minute they changed it to hard without changing the actual feat. They just moved it to the Hard Alerts column.

theta11 said:
I've got the Strykers feat with 4 minutes to spare. The fastest I've ever been able to complete Smallville is 25:35. At the moment I breeze through Strykers in under 30 minutes every time unless we are taking new people. I also can kill Doomsday at the first power station pretty reliably, it's rare if he makes it to the 2nd. Actually, I've got the 30 minute Stryker feat on both my main and my alt lol. At the moment the only the only speed feets I don't have are Arkham, Smallville and Kahndaq. Arkham because of PS3 I'm guessing, when we move through we get a crapton of loading errors so like the plant things you need to open the doors are invisible, the ice doors don't open plus the countless invisible enemies. I really want to finish the Smallville feat but I got no idea how to generate the bug. My guess is though Smallville was originally meant to be a normal alert but at the last minute they changed it to hard without changing the actual feat. They just moved it to the Hard Alerts column.

Try saying such things after the patch when the weapon glitchs/exploits that allow for 2-3x dps are fixed. All DPS related feats atm are moot because of it. Hell you are even admitting to hoping for a bug to happen in order to get the smallville one done. Smallvillie like Area 51 is doable in 20 minutes if you plan the run. You have to be very precise, but is possible.Try earning feats, you know, actual effort instead of "hoping" for free stuff you do not deserve.

Ok I'm playing troller mainly and I keep getting agro on me lately. Is it something I'm doing wrong or do I keep getting stuck with shitty tanks who don't know how to hold aggro? I generally stay back and toss in some mental stuns and pew pew, but most of the time I'm just spamming the shurikens to regen the groups power, but I am constantly getting singled out by the bosses. The tanks then are just running around chasing me and the boss until I can pull off my one ability that removes aggro.

theta11

ChronicleX said:
Try saying such things after the patch when the weapon glitchs/exploits that allow for 2-3x dps are fixed. All DPS related feats atm are moot because of it. Hell you are even admitting to hoping for a bug to happen in order to get the smallville one done. Smallvillie like Area 51 is doable in 20 minutes if you plan the run. You have to be very precise, but is possible.Try earning feats, you know, actual effort instead of "hoping" for free stuff you do not deserve.

Seriously? "If you did Strykers better than me you must be a cheater!" lol get over yourself. Just because you thought you did something perfect doesn't mean it can't be improved on. Infact I think you can easily finish Strykers in under 25 minutes as our 26 minute run had a small hiccup due to the door to the inmates not opening for me so I had to run back and die for it to open. I think a group of exploiters would easily finish Strykers in 23-24 minutes, only taking that long because the timer for Grodd to activate is fixed.

Smallville on the other hand being doable in 20 minutes... I just don't think it's possible, we've tried opening 2 of the force shields at the same time, we've tried splitting up into teams of 2 to gather the citizens, none of that seems to shave amount of time required to do it legitimately. I've never heard of anyone doing it without the glitch. Also I hope the glitch happens, every time lol. If I could I would share the Smallville glitch with the world so no one will ever again have to carry 5 citizens. lol

Honestly the feats in this game are hardly difficult apart from the pvp due to the nature of pvp. I really don't know how to respond to your comment about derserving feats, I mean all you need to do is go on top of the East End police station for a feat lol.

I don't post here to berate people, I'm here to discuss the game. If anyone wants to know how I did the feats I'd be happy to help them out as completing feats are necessary part of improving your character and the hardest part is coming up with a plan for the alert feats.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
theta11 said:
I don't post here to berate people, I'm here to discuss the game. If anyone wants to know how I did the feats I'd be happy to help them out as completing feats are necessary part of improving your character and the hardest part is coming up with a plan for the alert feats.
I have a lot of the feats but the ones I missed out on where several of the single-player survival and toughness ones. Is there any simple way to go back and get these?

AstroLad said:
I have a lot of the feats but the ones I missed out on where several of the single-player survival and toughness ones. Is there any simple way to go back and get these?

You can repeat any of the instances by just going back to the entrance, but if it's locked out content tied to a mission or something, you will have to team up with another player who hasn't done it yet and get the feat while they do the mission as you tag along

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
You can repeat any of the instances by just going back to the entrance, but if it's locked out content tied to a mission or something, you will have to team up with another player who hasn't done it yet and get the feat while they do the mission as you tag along
Ah, okay. Is there a way to see where some of these missions are? I fly around and yet seem to run into the same couple missions.

theta11

AstroLad said:

I'm not quite sure on the about the villian ones but a few of the heroes feats can't be completed for some reason. Like what has been said before most instances can be repeated by going back to the entrance and doing them. The only only one I know of that can't be repeated that way are Superman's level 15 mission and Wonder Woman's level 30 mission, someone doing those quests has to let you into the instance.

theta11

Leunam said:
Does anybody here play a Sorcery character? Any general advice?

I play a Sorc as my main, you need info on healing or dps? For DPS keep weapon of destiny on cooldown, its a 45% combo buff and if you are specced correctly it can crit for over 200 easily and lasts for 3 hits and costs very little power (the same amount as condemn) and also applys bad karma. my usual combo for dps is weapon of destiny, shared fate, circle of protection then just spam weapon of destiny until the mob gets below 35% hp then fire off final ruin as much as you can and when you run out of power soda then fire off more final ruins lol. It hits for around 700 normal damage for me and I have low might. it crits for around 1300-1500 but I've managed to crit a player for over 1700 before in pvp. for weapons i highly recommend a rifle and if you cant get one a bow is a good runner up. they serve you well in both specs, infact i current use 97.1 dps healer bow when im in both healer and dps spec.

This is the most useful link I can give you on sorcery, http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=13525
This guy really breaks down the numbers to give you an idea of throughput and gives a nice description of the abilities. Alot better than most guides since he describes every skill where other guides people just describe the skills they like lol.

General sorc rule is that pets suck, they are unreliable and in raids they draw a questionable amount of aggro to the point where I find it hilarious. The mobs would ignore the dps critting for 1600 and kill the little pet healing for 200.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Ok I'm playing troller mainly and I keep getting agro on me lately. Is it something I'm doing wrong or do I keep getting stuck with shitty tanks who don't know how to hold aggro? I generally stay back and toss in some mental stuns and pew pew, but most of the time I'm just spamming the shurikens to regen the groups power, but I am constantly getting singled out by the bosses. The tanks then are just running around chasing me and the boss until I can pull off my one ability that removes aggro.
I have run into this too. Sometimes I wonder whether Grandeur does anything. It certainly doesn't seem to help once you are actually being aggro'd but maybe beforehand it does. There are just some battles where the boss is all over my ass like I'm a tank with activated abilities. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Leunam

theta11 said:
I play a Sorc as my main, you need info on healing or dps?

Healing, but thanks for the DPS info. Much as I love my main character, I see Controllers everywhere and I'd like to try being a Healer for once.

AstroLad said:
I have run into this too. Sometimes I wonder whether Grandeur does anything. It certainly doesn't seem to help once you are actually being aggro'd but maybe beforehand it does. There are just some battles where the boss is all over my ass like I'm a tank with activated abilities. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Grandeur always breaks aggro for me when they come at me, but it only last a few seconds and they will come back to you eventually if the tank doesn't hold the enemies in place. Also the recharge on Grandeur is long as heck so in a boss battle you might get to use it once or twice at most.

Assume it could also be the power regen abilities, they likely work like healers in other mmo's where healing will cause mobs to aggro on the healer. Power regen I think does the same thing as healing and draws aggro. I tend to use the regen shurikens far more often than most healers cast healing abilities so perhaps that is why the trollers are sometimes drawing aggro.

Fitz

Leunam said:
Healing, but thanks for the DPS info. Much as I love my main character, I see Controllers everywhere and I'd like to try being a Healer for once.

If you're healing with Sorcery then I'd say the main thing is to make sure you've got Circle of Protection and Boon of Souls, most of my healing comes from them, Soul Well is also great, especially for large trash packs as it heals extra every time something is killed in range of it, along with its small periodic heals. Rejuvenate is obviously very useful for spot healing when a single person takes burst, but it's far to inefficient to rely on as your main source of healing. I quite like Invocation of Renewal for raids, but with the long cast time I don't think it has much of a place in alerts, so I generally swap it out for something else outside of raids.
The rest is down to preference really, the Watcher should be mandatory if it is patched so as to not despawn randomly, get stuck, or killed constantly. But for now it's quite hit and miss.
Also, if you're having trouble with Power, try and pick up some handblasters, outside of exploiting sweep shot, it's the best for getting your combo up fast for the power regen.

theta11

Colkate said:
If you're healing with Sorcery then I'd say the main thing is to make sure you've got Circle of Protection and Boon of Souls, most of my healing comes from them, Soul Well is also great, especially for large trash packs as it heals extra every time something is killed in range of it, along with its small periodic heals. Rejuvenate is obviously very useful for spot healing when a single person takes burst, but it's far to inefficient to rely on as your main source of healing. I quite like Invocation of Renewal for raids, but with the long cast time I don't think it has much of a place in alerts, so I generally swap it out for something else outside of raids.
The rest is down to preference really, the Watcher should be mandatory if it is patched so as to not despawn randomly, get stuck, or killed constantly. But for now it's quite hit and miss.
Also, if you're having trouble with Power, try and pick up some handblasters, outside of exploiting sweep shot, it's the best for getting your combo up fast for the power regen.

Handblasters also have the same bug as sweep shot.

So I've done a few matches of Legends PvP finally and was hoping some people could enlighten me a little on it.

I've played about 5-6 matches (some 4v4 some 2v2) and I've noticed that I'm only ever teamed up with fellow Robins while the other teams are full of every thing but (usually a mix of Harleys and Batmans). During my last match I noticed I was fighting at least one level 29 player while I'm always teamed up with people around my own level (I was about level 17 at the time). Do levels count in Legends PvP? Am I constantly being put up against higher level players? Or are they just keeping the characters separate for team purposes and only the PvP noobs are still playing as Robin?

Also, are there any good guides out there on how to actually play the Legend characters? I have a basic idea of Robin's moves thanks to the little pre-match practice time but I have no clue what they actually do.

Leunam

I think I did Legends: PvP once before 30 and it was all Robin vs. Harley. I think you get paired up evenly at level 30 because I haven't seen anyone lower than that now that I've hit the cap.

I don't think levels matter in Legends matches, only in pvp arena brackets, but I don't know for sure. It was my understanding Legends just puts everyone at the same stats and abilities depending on character they pick.

Also why it seems that Legends PVP matches queue faster than regular arena pvp .

BattleMonkey said:
I don't think levels matter in Legends matches, only in pvp arena brackets, but I don't know for sure. It was my understanding Legends just puts everyone at the same stats and abilities depending on character they pick.

Also why it seems that Legends PVP matches queue faster than regular arena pvp .

Yeah, I've yet to get in to an Arena match after waiting for an hour or so a few times. It takes me 5 minutes max to get in to a Legends match.

Top Bottom