• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

BattleMonkey said:
Open world pvp just usually doesn't work, many MMO's try it but really to me it's never worked well for so many reasons, and population of factions is often a big factor in it. It's why instanced PVP really is just the easiest to implement.

It works really well on my server most of the time. Late night hardly anyones around so nothing happens but at peak times there is at least a good 5-10 people from both sides going at it for access to the weapons vendor. (No idea why, the PvP weapons are crap compared to HA / Raid drops. Noobs really want purples I guess).

Still lack of patch is a downer, considering they heavily advertised the 15th as the release date. So unless it goes up tonight, this doesn't paint them in a good light in terms of reliability. However provided they release it this week, I'll let it slide.

ChronicleX said:
It works really well on my server most of the time. Late night hardly anyones around so nothing happens but at peak times there is at least a good 5-10 people from both sides going at it for access to the weapons vendor. (No idea why, the PvP weapons are crap compared to HA / Raid drops. Noobs really want purples I guess).

Because it's something that they can obtain and work for instead of hoping to get lucky doing HA's and Raids, and it's also the best weapons you can obtain outside of the HA/Raid purples.

Fucking noobs

Varna

theta11 said:
Ring War really doesn't work because there is no system in place to balance server populations so for the most part at this point is pretty one sided on every sever. Personally the worst bug I've experienced with Ring War is the lanterns resetting, It'd get to 1 more lantern to return then all would disappear and you'd have to start collecting fresh, I've had it reset on me 4 times in a row once.

Server population is dying fast. Your lucky to even see 10 on each side during a ring war these days. People have to beg others to come participate.

Sad to see this game losing steam so fast... not even 30 days yet. Developers are taking way to long to resolve major issues and the official forums lack any acknowledgment. Lots of mods are just closing up topics that have video proof of said issues too... it's pretty bad.

I still really enjoy the game, but at the moment PVP is completely broken. I can't join a legends or arena match without one team completely steamrolling another. Pistol glitching, frame canceling, damage buff while flying... too many combat oriented exploits going on. Matches often are decided by which team has the most people exploiting.

It's getting really annoying joining an broken instance too. They don't seem to restart when a new team joins so you can keep joining the same broken one over and over again... oh and after you quiet you have to wait something like 10 minutes to try again..

So many issues.

Wallach

Varna said:
Server population is dying fast. Your lucky to even see 10 on each side during a ring war these days. People have to beg others to come participate.

Sad to see this game losing steam so fast... not even 30 days yet. Developers are taking way to long to resolve major issues and the official forums lack any acknowledgment. Lots of mods are just closing up topics that have video proof of said issues too... it's pretty bad.

I still really enjoy the game, but at the moment PVP is completely broken. I can't join a legends or arena match without one team completely steamrolling another. Pistol glitching, frame canceling, damage buff while flying... too many combat oriented exploits going on. Matches often are decided by which team has the most people exploiting.

It's getting really annoying joining an broken instance too. They don't seem to restart when a new team joins so you can keep joining the same broken one over and over again... oh and after you quiet you have to wait something like 10 minutes to try again..

So many issues.

If you have to leave a broken instance, you can log out and back in and it will get rid of that wait period that prevents you from re-entering the queue. Probably a bug but I have no qualms about using it as a workaround for a different bug that you have no control over.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i don't know mmos but i wish there was only one server for each side. be awesome to be in cities full of people and also never have to wait that long for queues

Varna

Wallach said:
If you have to leave a broken instance, you can log out and back in and it will get rid of that wait period that prevents you from re-entering the queue. Probably a bug but I have no qualms about using it as a workaround for a different bug that you have no control over.
You are likely to re enter the same broken room. They need to restart when ever a new group joins.

Really don't see populations dying fast at all, game is still packed whenever I'm on. Just because people aren't doing Ring War doesn't mean much since many people are just finding it pointless to do it, you can get marks and influence much faster just doing regular pvp matches. Legends matches for me pop almost instantly when I sign up for them.

Wallach

Varna said:
You are likely to re enter the same broken room. They need to restart when ever a new group joins.

Yeah, this part sucks. Even when we would queue up together we'd get into the same broken OMAC Base on D&G the other day. Patch needs to hurry up.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wallach said:
Some of the hard alerts also have a portal in the overworld that will take you and your group to the instance. The timeout for quitting an instance doesn't apply to those portals.

The PVP servers on PS3 seems to always be busy and high pop. The pve servers since launch seem to hover around med now.

Outside of WoW most MMO's have a boom at launch with populations that will taper off. Dying off, no, we will have to wait a couple months to really know how well things are going.

Sblargh

Banned
Redemption server on PS3 always felt a bit empty to me. A lot of time doing the solo missions, I am the only one on the area doing the mission (which sometimes lead to those situations where enemies swarm me).

Getting people to join alerts isn't really hard thou, didn't tried raids, so I don't knw about that. So server population is lower than ideal, but it is not broken, but yeah, bug fix must be their top priority now.

I have the oddest reoccurring bug. If im in the Watchtower sometimes Huge blast doors will be down between hubs that won't allow me to go to Tech or Magic or Meta.

Bizarre.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
krypt0nian said:
I have the oddest reoccurring bug. If im in the Watchtower sometimes Huge blast doors will be down between hubs that won't allow me to go to Tech or Magic or Meta.

Bizarre.
i had that happen once a couple days ago

Sblargh

Banned
krypt0nian said:

Bizarre.

Happened to me during the freaking watchtower exploration mission.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Always happens to me when I'm running around the Watchtower with my speedster. So annoying.

Sblargh said:
Redemption server on PS3 always felt a bit empty to me. A lot of time doing the solo missions, I am the only one on the area doing the mission (which sometimes lead to those situations where enemies swarm me).

Getting people to join alerts isn't really hard thou, didn't tried raids, so I don't knw about that. So server population is lower than ideal, but it is not broken, but yeah, bug fix must be their top priority now.
I invite you to make a character on the PvP server, Mr. Beat Happening fan. You can call him Calvin J or something :p

Also, I had good luck yesterday shouting out and getting a good group together that way with my hero (there are lots of GAF villains on PvP but not too many heroes) to take down Solomon Grundy.

Anyone have any general advice on gear? I'm kind of overwhelmed by the whole prospect. I just got some gloves that really boosted the DPS on my level 27 handblaster hero and it's whetted my appetite for better stuff :p

theta11

Killthee said:
Always happens to me when I'm running around the Watchtower with my speedster. So annoying.

I think its some kind of loading bug like what happens with doors in instances, why the doors are even in the watchtower in the first place baffles me but I experience the glitch mostly on my speedster, at least it's better than falling through the floor which has happened once or twice. Also the blast doors have never appeared for me in the Magic Wing, it mostly happens in the Meta Wing and rarely the Tech Wing.

Sblargh

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
I invite you to make a character on the PvP server, Mr. Beat Happening fan. You can call him Calvin J or something :p

Also, I had good luck yesterday shouting out and getting a good group together that way with my hero (there are lots of GAF villains on PvP but not too many heroes) to take down Solomon Grundy.

Anyone have any general advice on gear? I'm kind of overwhelmed by the whole prospect. I just got some gloves that really boosted the DPS on my level 27 handblaster hero and it's whetted my appetite for better stuff :p

PvP scares me more than a million punk rock fans trying to explain their ideals to me.

I cancelled my sub before the first month kicked in. The PVP wasn't fun and the single player content ran out pretty fast. I'd like to still mess around with new characters and continue exploring the world, but not at 15 bucks a month. Maybe I'll check out Champions...

hermit7

lastplayed said:
I cancelled my sub before the first month kicked in. The PVP wasn't fun and the single player content ran out pretty fast. I'd like to still mess around with new characters and continue exploring the world, but not at 15 bucks a month. Maybe I'll check out Champions...

It is only 10 if you sign up for a 3 month plan...

Sblargh

Banned
I also don't think PvP is fun and solo content did run out fast. Alerts and Raids are very fun, even if they are beginning to repeat themselves a bit too much.

lastplayed said:

Playing Champions right now and I much prefer paying for DC. Outside of the vibrant world and great character customization, Champions is a pretty poor MMO. The content is also very severely lacking in that game and the pvp is pretty awful, just like all Cryptic games sadly. But it's free and I got a cousin who plays it so I can't complain.

Champions also has the problem that you always start in the same place, and have to do the exact same missions. DC universe at least offer some variety depending on who you make as a mentor and side you choose with differet experinces. Even other MMO's usually offer different starting quests at least and other unique experiences to take part in, but in Champions it's the exact same thing over and over again. CoH at least had the City of Villains thing that let you experience a different side of the game.

The character cusomization makes me want to make more characters, but every time having to do the EXACT same content over and over again with no difference really makes it hard to want to keep playing.

Nishastra

Banned
No one seems to want to do any Legends at 30 except Batcave. If I queue for any, Batcave always comes up. If I queue for something other than Batcave, I never get in.

I hate Batcave, because it's rarely a good fight. It's usually complete domination one way or the other.

I want to get the Deathstroke armor, but I'd really prefer to just be able to play, so maybe I should keep a character under 30.

Also, I've been unable to get in an Arena of any kind for days now. I've heard a lot of complaints about exploiters and how people are avoiding the Arena until it's fixed, so that's probably part of the problem.

Nishastra said:
No one seems to want to do any Legends at 30 except Batcave. If I queue for any, Batcave always comes up. If I queue for something other than Batcave, I never get in.

I hate Batcave, because it's rarely a good fight. It's usually complete domination one way or the other.

I want to get the Deathstroke armor, but I'd really prefer to just be able to play, so maybe I should keep a character under 30.

Also, I've been unable to get in an Arena of any kind for days now. I've heard a lot of complaints about exploiters and how people are avoiding the Arena until it's fixed, so that's probably part of the problem.

Level has nothing to do with Legends, all players no matter level are put into the same wait to play as the characters are premade and your own lvl and stats have no bearing on the legend character you choose. Batcave comes up the most often because it requires the least amount of players and people choosing the first available option are just going to cause Batcave to pop the most often. If you don't want to do batcave, then just sign up for a specific instance instead of first availble.

Fitz

Yeah I've definitely found myself getting into the Batcave when signing up for Legends far more than the other maps, I reckon it's simply down to sign up system having 2x2 people ready far more often than enough for the other maps. The whole thing will be better after the patch when PvP will hopefully be far more balanced and more people will be signing up for PvP.

Nishastra

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Level has nothing to do with Legends, all players no matter level are put into the same wait to play as the characters are premade and your own lvl and stats have no bearing on the legend character you choose.
Err, no :p

PvP queues are based on level, because only level 30 queues give Marks of Victory. This includes Legends. At level 30, you will only ever fight with other level 30s.

The only way for a 30 to get into a sub-30 game is for them to have already been queued before they hit 30.

Colkate said:
Yeah I've definitely found myself getting into the Batcave when signing up for Legends far more than the other maps, I reckon it's simply down to sign up system having 2x2 people ready far more often than enough for the other maps. The whole thing will be better after the patch when PvP will hopefully be far more balanced and more people will be signing up for PvP.
I'm also looking forward to seeing what Catwoman plays like. I'll probably still stick with Harley, though :p

Nishastra said:
Err, no :p

PvP queues are based on level, because only level 30 queues give Marks of Victory. This includes Legends. At level 30, you will only ever fight with other level 30s.

The only way for a 30 to get into a sub-30 game is for them to have already been queued before they hit 30.

From what I've been reading on the DC forums, it doesn't matter for legends. At 30 you get marks of victory, but it doesn't matter your level for the other. The lower level players simply get no marks at the end of the match. But stats, levels, etc have no bearing on Legends PVP. Being lvl 30 doesn't change the Legends matches, simply you get a bonus for playing of victory marks.

Arena PVP uses brackets for PVP by level while lvl 30's are put in their own bracket, but from everything I've read on it on the forum, apparently Legends does not do this and level 30's can be playing with level 10's for all one knows, but you won't since nothing about a character's own level or stats matters in Legends.

Nishastra

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Arena PVP uses brackets for PVP by level while lvl 30's are put in their own bracket, but from everything I've read on it on the forum, apparently Legends does not do this and level 30's can be playing with level 10's for all one knows, but you won't since nothing about a character's own level or stats matters in Legends.
For all one knows? You can see the real levels of all the players on your team, as well as anyone you target. I've played hundreds and hundreds of Legends matches, and never once seen a 30 in a sub-30 match, nor a sub-30 in a 30 match.

Edit: Here, I took a screen of the match I was just in.
Note: I'm level 30, my partner is level 30, and the guy we're beating to a pulp is level 30.

Edit2: Just in case you were going to say that they show level 30 because everyone is made 30 for Legends or something, I hopped on a character who wasn't 30 yet (and got into a non-Batcave match really quickly) to take this picture in which you can see my level 24 self fighting a level 11 with a 7, an 8, and another 24 on my team.

Nishastra said:
For all one knows? You can see the real levels of all the players on your team, as well as anyone you target. I've played hundreds and hundreds of Legends matches, and never once seen a 30 in a sub-30 match, nor a sub-30 in a 30 match.

Edit: Here, I took a screen of the match I was just in.
Note: I'm level 30, my partner is level 30, and the guy we're beating to a pulp is level 30.

I haven't done Legends or paid attention to the names so not sure, had asked a while ago about it. On the forum I see people claiming that level means nothing in Legends but apparently it's only true for sub 30 then? Hmm that's odd, don't really see the point of splitting out the 30's from every other level when lvl has no meaning in Legends matches.

Nishastra

Banned
I certainly wish they didn't. I wouldn't be stuck with Batcave that way :p

I have to assume it's because of the Marks.

Edit: Incidentally, I crashed like 30 seconds after taking that second picture, in a situation I've crashed in before. For some reason, being in the Boiler Room of Arkham as Harley while two Robins come down the stairs from the hero spawn point seems to have a good chance of making me crash. I doubt it's really anything so specific, but I've crashed in that exact situation four times now.

I don't like Legends really at all so I tend to skip it, and only will do it sometimes for the star marked one if it's not the Batcave. I won't sign up for first available ever because of getting stuck constantly with that lame Batcave matchup.

Much rather be doing arenas which sadly take forever to pop while Legends seem to have very little wait :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
I don't like Legends really at all so I tend to skip it, and only will do it sometimes for the star marked one if it's not the Batcave. I won't sign up for first available ever because of getting stuck constantly with that lame Batcave matchup.

Much rather be doing arenas which sadly take forever to pop while Legends seem to have very little wait :(
iawtp. even with all the supposed glitching that's going on i still find arenas almost always fun (this may be in part b/c i play on pve where there's probably less general awareness about pvp glitches). legends i just find dreadful stupid acrobat movement

Nishastra

Banned
Legends is basically all I do. Legends is the first time I've ever had fun with PvP in an MMO. It's like an actual game, rather than a contest to see who has the best gear and the most statistically perfect build.

However, aside from the exploiting, I don't really have a problem with Arenas in this either. If they'd ever actually go, I'd play them too, but eventually I just give up and stop bothering to queue for them. I'd much rather play CTF than Batcave :p

They need to make a Legends CTF map.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nishastra said:
Legends is basically all I do. Legends is the first time I've ever had fun with PvP in an MMO. It's like an actual game, rather than a contest to see who has the best gear and the most statistically perfect build.

However, aside from the exploiting, I don't really have a problem with Arenas in this either. If they'd ever actually go, I'd play them too, but eventually I just give up and stop bothering to queue for them. I'd much rather play CTF than Batcave :p

They need to make a Legends CTF map.
honestly i don't think i've been in a single close legends match. like bm said it's either stomp or be stomped

I like Legends in concept, but just find it not fun and feels extremely random. It's like a game within a game, but I just don't feel it and rather be playing my own custom characters.

Nishastra

Banned
AstroLad said:
honestly i don't think i've been in a single close legends match.
I certainly have. While it's uncommon to find very good players... on either side, a whole team of decent players can be a pain in the ass.

Basically, they just have to understand that you should never, ever fight away from a point if the other team has more capped/held than you. If you're on top, then keeping the enemy distracted is one of the best things you can do. It often comes down to how many people on each side realize this.

If both sides largely do, it becomes a real struggle. I've been in matches that we won or lost by 50-100 points and one particular match I remember where we lost by one single point.

Batcave is almost never close because it's a lot easier to defend the point than attack it. Attacking players tend to rush back into the fight as soon as they respawn after dying, and that usually leads to a continual two on one beating as the attackers die one by one and thus have their respawns staggered. But every second spent not fighting is 5 points lost, so it's not like you can afford to stand around and wait. It just rarely works well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah but you've played 1000! hahah

i'm not hating on legends though just happen to have had some pretty weak matches though a lot of this is attributable to people just not being that familiar with the mode or even how to best use the characters (definitely guilty). i still do it just for the cheapie marks and the fact you can get into one about 4x as fast as an arena

theta11

I love Legends but more often than not I get the bug where you can't use potion or trinket and every other match the frame rate drops to 2-5 FPS and the game more or less becomes unplayable so I gave up on Legends.

Nishastra

Banned
theta11 said:
I love Legends but more often than not I get the bug where you can't use potion or trinket and every other match the frame rate drops to 2-5 FPS and the game more or less becomes unplayable so I gave up on Legends.
The potion/trinket thing happens any time you have a potion or trinket equipped yourself when you enter. If you're on a character who can stealth or otherwise change skill bars (weapon switch on Joker or Huntress or Bane's second venom use), doing so will bring your potion/trinket back. Nightwing is screwed, not that anyone uses him anyway :p

Hopefully it'll get fixed in the upcoming patch.

I've only had the framerate thing happen once in Legends, myself. Also had it happen once in Metropolis somewhere. Weird bug.

Nishastra

Banned
That was a lot less negative than I'd have expected. The main thing I disagree with him on is that the combat is boring, and if he didn't play it for very long, I can understand where he's coming from. Only a couple of weapon types get any combos worth using quickly, and of course if it's your first time you won't know which ones those are. And until you get them and a good number of powers, there's not much to do except attack, attack, attack :p

The targeting system is a bit of an ass sometimes, where it decides you really really want to be hitting that car next to all the enemies or that guy who just came around the corner thirty feet away, but that happens to me fairly rarely. (Still infuriating when it does.)

I think he was taking the mentors a bit too literally with his "Gadgets Gadgets" and "Sorcery Gadgets" stuff, but that's also understandable as the purpose of mentors is not made clear at all, although it does say it has no effect on your combat abilities.

Customization is odd. They do limit you an awful lot to start, as they decided that anything "cool" or elaborate needed to be unlocked. More body types would be nice too, as well as fixing all the costume pieces that don't work right on small females (there's several). Still, at least I can make a character I like the look of, which is more than I can say for Champions Online :p

Sblargh

Banned
Purpose of mentor, as far as I can tell, is fan service, which can be hard to grasp unless you are a fan.
I felt myself totally awesome being thanked by wonder woman for being totally awesome, but I don't expect the same kind of nerdism as I have.

Leunam

I think you can get a lot more enjoyment out of the game just being a DC fan. I can certainly say that's the case for me.

Top Bottom