• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Leunam said:
I think you can get a lot more enjoyment out of the game just being a DC fan. I can certainly say that's the case for me.

Yes it adds alot to the universe over the generic universes you get in CoH and Champions which tend to be filled with parody and such.

I hate DC and most of the stuff in it seems lame and a parody of itself (Superman + tits = Supergirl, then Supergirl + Period = Powergirl) however my hate is nulled as I see the potential in the games mechanics over other MMO's (See WoW) and it has excellent voice acting (though picking up the challenge missions each day, hearing the same old quest narrated back to back is VERY annoying. Same with the Mr Freeze Duo).

Nishastra

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yes it adds alot to the universe over the generic universes you get in CoH and Champions which tend to be filled with parody and such.
Champions is a joke in many ways, constant references included, but CoH takes itself seriously. There's jokey minor references in unimportant NPC dialogue here and there, but the CoH world is largely its own thing, and I can't think of any instances of parody in it.

I wouldn't call myself really a "DC Fan"... If anything I'm a Batman fan and a Teen Titans fan, as all the DC things I've been a fan of are Batman-related or the Teen Titans :p

I find Superman exceptionally boring and Lex Luthor only marginally less so, and I can't claim to know much more than the basics about Wonder Woman, nor did I know anything about Circe going in (notice she's not even on that one picture they use as the header for everything, with Catwoman standing in her place?).

Which reminds me, I'm wondering who the next mentors are going to be. The first major major patch in a few months (not to be confused with the minor major one coming this week) is supposed to be bringing a new one. I'm assuming they're going to be in Gotham, since it currently only has one mentor per side and there's a huge area of Gotham that's accessible but bottled (though that could be the new PvP zone for all I know).

Leunam said:
I think you can get a lot more enjoyment out of the game just being a DC fan. I can certainly say that's the case for me.

This effect cannot be overstated. As far as the DCU and the way this game is using it, it's pretty flawless.

Nishastra said:
Champions is a joke in many ways, constant references included, but CoH takes itself seriously. There's jokey minor references in unimportant NPC dialogue here and there, but the CoH world is largely its own thing, and I can't think of any instances of parody in it.

I wouldn't call myself really a "DC Fan"... If anything I'm a Batman fan and a Teen Titans fan, as all the DC things I've been a fan of are Batman-related or the Teen Titans :p

I find Superman exceptionally boring and Lex Luthor only marginally less so, and I can't claim to know much more than the basics about Wonder Woman, nor did I know anything about Circe going in (notice she's not even on that one picture they use as the header for everything, with Catwoman standing in her place?).

Which reminds me, I'm wondering who the next mentors are going to be. The first major major patch in a few months (not to be confused with the minor major one coming this week) is supposed to be bringing a new one. I'm assuming they're going to be in Gotham, since it currently only has one mentor per side and there's a huge area of Gotham that's accessible but bottled (though that could be the new PvP zone for all I know).

Well I'm a casual DC reader but I do love the DC animated stuff. I've always been more of a Marvel fanboy but the quality of Marvel's storylines these past years has scared me away from most of it.

Champions was not supposed to be so full of jokes and parody, it was a serious universe but when they made the video game, Cryptic made it one big joke. CoH took from many source but it was more original and I guess you can say lot of homages, but found it dreadfully boring setting.

I don't see what they could do for a Gotham mentor for Heroes, Villains are easy to add to Gotham... but Batman is so protective of Gotham being "his". Not sure how they would fit in other mentors with the whole origin selection and wings of the hall of doom/watchtower.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm much more a Marvel guy than a DC one too, but I won't really comment on quality, it's more of a thing like, I read spiderman as a kid, than I started reading those people who appeared on spiderman comics, and so on. But it *is* exciting to meet the iconics and do their stuff.

Even if I did Grodd's lab duo a million times, it is always nice to fight agains Zoom and later to side with Flash. Game really excels at "license use".

Anyone anywhere make a list or detailed info on each of the Legends character such as stat info, power explanations, etc? I'm gonna have to do more of them to get marks since it is so much faster than doing arena pvp and I hate not knowing exact capabilities of these characters.

BattleMonkey said:
I don't see what they could do for a Gotham mentor for Heroes, Villains are easy to add to Gotham... but Batman is so protective of Gotham being "his". Not sure how they would fit in other mentors with the whole origin selection and wings of the hall of doom/watchtower.

Oracle already occupies a pretty important role in the game, but I could imagine her as a mentor.

Beyond that, what would everyone else like to see in terms of additional mentors?

I'd say Green Lantern and Sinsestro along with a ring power set seems like an obvious choice.

I'd love to see Darkseid and some other New God as mentors. None of the heroes quite have the stature as Darkseid though-- maybe Big Barda or Mister Miracle?

If they added new mentors, to me they would need to add new cities or locations in the game. Seems kinda pointless to add mentors to the current city when the space can be used for so many other things. The mentors are neat idea but they don't really add much at all to the game out and not something that feels like is worth a major content update unless a huge amount of other things are added along with them.

Nishastra

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
If they added new mentors, to me they would need to add new cities or locations in the game. Seems kinda pointless to add mentors to the current city when the space can be used for so many other things. The mentors are neat idea but they don't really add much at all to the game out and not something that feels like is worth a major content update unless a huge amount of other things are added along with them.
Adding a new mentor means adding a full set of new 3-30 arcs, with hideouts and feats for each one. Also, unless they split up the mess of origins that Superman and Lex occupy, they'll probably also come with new powersets to match whatever exactly they're mentoring.

Obviously the mentors themselves aren't very important, but what has to come with them is.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
darkwing said:
what is this pistols/rifle glitch in PvP?? i just encountered it and someone just tore through my armor like nothing :(
Pistol Glitch. If you block after the first sweep, the second sweep will hard stun the pistol user.

Rifle glitch is the mortar spam I think, but I'm not sure. Just gotta get in his face to prevent mortar spam.

Both should be fixed later this week.

RadarX said:
Rifle Mortar is getting an "adjustment" this week. as is Pistols.

darkwing

Killthee said:
Pistol Glitch. If you block after the first sweep, the second sweep will hard stun the pistol user.

Rifle glitch is the mortar spam I think, but I'm not sure. Just gotta get in his face to prevent mortar spam.

is this for the PS3 too? looks like the guy was strafing O_O man this really sucks, one guy was doing it in every PvP match, didn't bother to come out when he was on the field lol

yeah saw the rifle mortar spam, it hits everywhere lol hilarious

theta11

Killthee said:

The rifle glitch is much harder to avoid because it can actually go through walls which makes closing the distance so mortar doesn't activate difficult at times plus it hits like a truck so if you aren't expecting it you are usually dead by the time you realize what the hell is going on. Rifle glitch is also requires a certain Mentor/Movement combo if I remember correctly which is why it's alot less common. Anyone with a Dual Pistol can do the expliot though, but like Killthee said, fairly easy to avoid in small encounters.

Killthee

darkwing said:
is this for the PS3 too? looks like the guy was strafing O_O man this really sucks, one guy was doing it in every PvP match, didn't bother to come out when he was on the field lol

yeah saw the rifle mortar spam, it hits everywhere lol hilarious
It's on the PS3 as well. If you block the sweep shot you'll hard lock the pistol user and that might give you a chance to beat the crap out of him. The hard part is when someone is using the exploit and he has a partner spamming his block breaker.

icechai

darkwing said:
what is this pistols/rifle glitch in PvP?? i just encountered it and someone just tore through my armor like nothing :(

pistol glitch basically continues the move after your animation finishes, allowing you to run around and keep the fast damage happening as long as you face the direction of your target. Two handed weapon also has this glitch but it's a lot harder to do and goes on for less damage.

Rifle glitch is way worse as 1 mortar will knock off 1k+ hp, but like people said, it's specific to gadget/rifles, so less common. Either way Rifles are just hard to pvp against because their lunge move looks just like their shooting block breaker move, and they have a < 1 second block breaker knock back in their grenade. It is definitely the hardest weapon to fight against.

Martial Arts glitch is where shurikens are treated as objects. Suffice to say sorcery/MA will utterly annihilate someone for 2k+ damage. But luckily most sorcery users are just exploiting dual pistols right now.

Hand blaster.. nm :p

Ah, finally completed the Ooling Island alert. Managed to get in at the very beginning and see it through all the way to the end. A miracle! And Shang Tzu is a tough MF. Glad he'd scrambled.

CozMick

Banned
How deep is the customisation in this game (inventory wise)?

Is it on par with other mmo's where i'll be collecting and upgrading for months?

Thanks.

theta11

icechai said:
pistol glitch basically continues the move after your animation finishes, allowing you to run around and keep the fast damage happening as long as you face the direction of your target. Two handed weapon also has this glitch but it's a lot harder to do and goes on for less damage.

Rifle glitch is way worse as 1 mortar will knock off 1k+ hp, but like people said, it's specific to gadget/rifles, so less common. Either way Rifles are just hard to pvp against because their lunge move looks just like their shooting block breaker move, and they have a < 1 second block breaker knock back in their grenade. It is definitely the hardest weapon to fight against.

Martial Arts glitch is where shurikens are treated as objects. Suffice to say sorcery/MA will utterly annihilate someone for 2k+ damage. But luckily most sorcery users are just exploiting dual pistols right now.

Hand blaster.. nm :p

I've never encountered a Sorc/MA but more often then not what I see is a Sorc with Dual Pistol and the buddy throwing Shurikens....yeah. The best of both worlds.

Transmute in itself is glitched where if you use transmute you continue to transmute for around 2-3 seconds, so long after the animation is done and you are walking around you will see the Transmutation skill going off on objects that were out of range of your intial transmute.

Sblargh

Banned
CozMick said:

Is it on par with other mmo's where i'll be collecting and upgrading for months?

Thanks.

I'd say it takes more or less a month to get to your best equipment, provided you play a couple of hours every day. Could be even less.
But the game does give incentive to create at least 6 different characters.

CozMick said:

Thanks.

Well you have 8 weapons and 2 "best weapons" for your power out of them, since everyone has 2 roles. Then there is T1 PVE, T2 PVE, EpicPvP. The main incentive is the Feats, you'll be doing them for months to get more skillpoints to make your guy stronger.

The main perk though. Any item you collected provided you can use it and you use it at least once = Its style is saved and you can look like that whenever you want, no matter what upgrades you get.

Varna

Don't think I will be playing this much longer. The rampant exploiting is just getting to me. I love the combat in this game and the fact that's it's in a mmo makes it all that much more amazing. So now that I'm seeing nearly everyone ignoring the system and just doing frame cancels there is no point in pvp. Server population is taking a huge nose dive too. I can't even get into a hard alert or even duo anymore. Three nights now that I try and log in for a quick game with no luck. Going through the same six solo challenges isn't all that fun anymore and though I do like the "grinding" through feats I've already cleared through all the more interesting ones. The only ones left are the ones that involve me joining an alert (which I can't do) or the ones that involve a lot of searching which isn't all that interesting.

Pretty much none of the gaf players on D&G are even on anymore.

icechai

Varna said:
Pretty much none of the gaf players on D&G are even on anymore.

lvling an alt a few hours a day. see pretty much everyone dual pistoling now, i'm a MA/gadget and sometimes manage to block their sweep and kill a lot of them :)

Varna

icechai said:
lvling an alt a few hours a day. see pretty much everyone dual pistoling now, i'm a MA/gadget and sometimes manage to block their sweep and kill a lot of them :)

Sweep glitch isn't all that much of a problem. Just guard and knock them on their ass. The problem is the fame cancels. You can't even properly prepare for that because you can't even see what they are about to hit you with. The most distressing part of it is talk around the official forums is that it's intentional...

Killthee

Finally got a chance to do a full raid today. We were doing really good, hardly anyone dying and we were pretty much blazing through Khandaq. Then we got to Black Adam and god what a nightmare that was.

One by one he would pick us off as people rolled around like idiots. Here's my hopeless ass trying to keep everyone alive with the sliver of power I have left while the controllers are both blocking and rolling around with their power bars full. After the 4rd try the leader had to go eat so he bailed on us. Other people slowly left, but most of us stayed and kept on trying, usually at least one man short. Around the 7th try (yes I said 7th X_X) the lead actually came back, but we were still at least one man short.

We got really close around the 9th try; final form (Dr. Fate), a little over 3/4 health, me and 2 controllers left and what do they do? Block and roll with full power bars while I'm trying to keep them alive and popping some shots off at Adam when I can so as to regen at least a little bit of power. Slowly his health is dropping and by the time it's halfway it's just me vs. Adam + the crosses + the landmines. Not really worried about power regen at this point; just gotta be smart and stay aware of the crosses, pop some shots off when I get some distance, roll when the landmines start to appear, rinse and repeat. I managed to get his health down to 1/4 before my ass got cocky and soon thereafter got swarmed with the crosses.

Around the 12 try, still one man short and around 3 hours after starting the raid, I finally give up and call it quits. 1 min later they tell me they were able to fill in the final spot so i jump back in for one last go. We're doing real good and are about halfway before people start dying. First one out is one of the DPS followed by the second healer sometime in the third form (Zatanna). One of the controller manages to get to the healer before the timer runs out only for him to die again because he rallied in the middle of the lightning storm (X_X). At this point I'm low on power and can't heal, the controller who tried to save the healer goes down soon thereafter. By the fourth form the second controller goes down. This is when things got surprisingly easy. With the two headless chickens out of danger they finally start playing their battery role and I'm finally able to get some juice and can focus on healing the people that are actually dealing damage. Adam goes down a couple of minutes later (^_^).

Overall I had loads of fun when everyone was playing their role properly and can't wait to do it again next week. Hopefully with a proper team through out the whole thing.

BattleMonkey said:
So no chance of patch tomorrow?
I'd say there's a slim chance. They did say sometime this week.....

Killthee said:
Finally got a chance to do a full raid today. We were doing really good, hardly anyone dying and we were pretty much blazing through Khandaq. Then we got to Black Adam and god what a nightmare that was.

Around the 12 try, still one man short and around 3 hours after starting the raid, I finally give up and call it quits. 1 min later they tell me they were able to fill in the final spot so i jump back in for one last go. We're doing real good and are about halfway before people start dying. First one out is one of the DPS followed by the second healer sometime in the third form (Zatanna). One of the controller manages to get to the healer before the timer runs out only for him to die again because he rallied in the middle of the lightning storm (X_X). At this point I'm low on power and can't heal, the controller who tried to save the healer goes down soon thereafter. By the fourth form the second controller goes down. This is when things got surprisingly easy. With the two headless chickens out of danger they finally start playing their battery role and I'm finally able to get some juice and can focus on healing the people that are actually dealing damage. Adam goes down a couple of minutes later (^_^).

Doing this last night, think we were on our 10th go of Adam when everyone started saying it was their last attempt as they had work early the next day, let's just say we beat him and didn't lose a single person the whole fight, amazing how motivating it can be when you know its the last chance or nothing!

Sblargh

Banned
Since we are talking raids. Any advice for batcave ending? People kept insisting on taking batwoman down first, because she was instakilling people left and right, but it never seemed to work.

Fitz

My league does Batwoman, Huntress, Robin then Nightwing I believe. Haven't had any issues with the fight yet, but I'm a healer so I hardly have time to pay attention to what each mobs health is at and if they're going down correctly. I think downing Batwoman first is the only real certainty of kill order due to her doing the most damage, bear in mind that a lot of the attacks from the four can be blocked and will cause the mob the get stunned like in PvP.

Sblargh said:
Since we are talking raids. Any advice for batcave ending? People kept insisting on taking batwoman down first, because she was instakilling people left and right, but it never seemed to work.

Yeah batwoman is always number 1 target, unfortunatly she also bugs a lot. We try and keep her down throughout the whole fight and whittle down the others in the meantime, normally works pretty well, we managed to finish the batcave in 55mins last night (seriously need a new challenge/ raid, its all too easy now except for Black Adam)

theta11

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah batwoman is always number 1 target, unfortunatly she also bugs a lot. We try and keep her down throughout the whole fight and whittle down the others in the meantime, normally works pretty well, we managed to finish the batcave in 55mins last night (seriously need a new challenge/ raid, its all too easy now except for Black Adam)

We've wiped on those 4 before and Batwoman teleported to the rally point and wiped us there again. :(

Killthee said:

One by one he would pick us off as people rolled around like idiots. Here's my hopeless ass trying to keep everyone alive with the sliver of power I have left while the controllers are both blocking and rolling around with their power bars full. After the 4rd try the leader had to go eat so he bailed on us. Other people slowly left, but most of us stayed and kept on trying, usually at least one man short. Around the 7th try (yes I said 7th X_X) the lead actually came back, but we were still at least one man short.

We got really close around the 9th try; final form (Dr. Fate), a little over 3/4 health, me and 2 controllers left and what do they do? Block and roll with full power bars while I'm trying to keep them alive and popping some shots off at Adam when I can so as to regen at least a little bit of power. Slowly his health is dropping and by the time it's halfway it's just me vs. Adam + the crosses + the landmines. Not really worried about power regen at this point; just gotta be smart and stay aware of the crosses, pop some shots off when I get some distance, roll when the landmines start to appear, rinse and repeat. I managed to get his health down to 1/4 before my ass got cocky and soon thereafter got swarmed with the crosses.

Overall I had loads of fun when everyone was playing their role properly and can't wait to do it again next week. Hopefully with a proper team through out the whole thing.

I'd say there's a slim chance. They did say sometime this week.....

Jeez! 3 Hours! Congrats though, seems like a great experience. I should get on that the day I have a free night!

Killthee

Ugh, delayed till Tuesday due to SCEA/SCEE certification.........

RadarX said:
I promised an update for all of you regarding the February game update and here it is. Releasing a world-wide, multi-platform MMO like DC Universe Online requires each of our updates go through a complex approval process before they are brought to you. While we are still finalizing many of our update processes to ensure they are as efficient as possible, these approvals took a little longer than anticipated this time. This update will be brought to you at the first available opportunity which is Tuesday morning for everyone (no one platform or country will be left behind!).

What can you expect in this update? I'm glad you asked!

* A new Batcave Raid zone
* A new holiday themed alert
* New holiday themed missions
* An Auction House
* A New PvP Ring Event
* New Catwoman adventure which drops new Armor
* A new Bane Duo
* New Races
* New Collections
* Various PvP Exploits (you know which ones) have been fixed
* The first wave of a series of Social UI changes
* Dozens of Mission, Visual, and Audio bug fixes

We know many of you are excited about not only the new content but some of these fixes and we are determined to get them to you. We thank you for all your patience and understanding.

Finally, I'm finishing up our patch notes this morning and plan to post them later today (minus a few which refer to exploits) so you can see exactly what is changing.

malingenie said:
Jeez! 3 Hours! Congrats though, seems like a great experience. I should get on that the day I have a free night!
It was just that final fight that dragged the whole thing down. Everything leading to it went by really smooth.

Fitz

As disappointed as I am that the patch has been delayed, I'm really looking forward to the UI changes, bug fixes and the new endgame content. "* Dozens of Mission, Visual, and Audio bug fixes" sounds promising.

Figured if it wasn't today it would be next week, patches rarely roll out on weekends. But still it's only a few days away. New content is great but yea the bug fixes and such is what I want to see most of all.

Though the auction house is a big deal to me, it will be great for being able to easily get the gear and loot I want especially collecting styles, and it will make money worth something.

eznark

Banned
Been out of the loop all week, does this big patch include some UI tweaks for PS3? Something addressing the input lag when scrolling menus would be awesome.

darkwing

btw those additional skill points you get , you can put them in different weapons and still get the bonus even though you are not equipping them?

theta11

darkwing said:
btw those additional skill points you get , you can put them in different weapons and still get the bonus even though you are not equipping them?

Yeah you can, thats the whole reason to get them!

Killthee

eznark said:
Been out of the loop all week, does this big patch include some UI tweaks for PS3? Something addressing the input lag when scrolling menus would be awesome.
All we know right now is that the patch includes "The first wave of a series of Social UI changes". We might get more info later today when RadarX posts the patch notes.

darkwing said:
Correct.

Fitz

Killthee said:
All we know right now is that the patch includes "The first wave of a series of Social UI changes". We might get more info later today when RadarX posts the patch notes.

Oh, did he actually say he'll be posting proper patch notes soon? If so that's really fantastic, I can't wait to see specific changes.

Killthee

Colkate said:
Oh, did he actually say he'll be posting proper patch notes soon? If so that's really fantastic, I can't wait to see specific changes.
Yup.

RadarX said:
Finally, I'm finishing up our patch notes this morning and plan to post them later today (minus a few which refer to exploits) so you can see exactly what is changing.

darkwing said:

Yep, collecting feats becomes important after you hit 30 because you can earn tons of skill points to learn other weapons and gain lot of different permanent stat bonuses.

Top Bottom