• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

theta11 said:
Yeah you can, thats the whole reason to get them!
I'm to the point where I'm ready to do this.

Can you just buy the initial weapon skill then have access to the innate stuff at the bottom of the tree?

Leunam

Mercury Fred said:
Ah OK.

Are they all the same in terms of number of points needed to be spent or are there weapons that have more of a fast track?

I'm sure it varies here and there. I've only put points into two other weapons aside from pistols but I haven't noticed how much I've spent.

Wallach said:
Patch notes are up.

No kidding.

DELAYED DAMAGE

SUB 30 MINUTES

PLANNING

CONDESCENSION

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
  • The PS3 virtual keyboard will no longer automatically pop up in quickchat mode if you have a keyboard connected to the PS3.
About damn time!

Leunam said:
I'm sure it varies here and there. I've only put points into two other weapons aside from pistols but I haven't noticed how much I've spent.
Yeah I think it varies. You can use the DCUO Source Build Calculator to figure out the cheapest way to get to the bonuses and you can use Weapon/Role Synergy guide to give you an idea on what you should focus.

theta11

Leunam said:

DELAYED DAMAGE

SUB 30 MINUTES

PLANNING

CONDESCENSION

Is it wrong I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that? lol

Sblargh

Banned
"New Batcave Raid – 8 players will have the opportunity to infiltrate and retake Batman's Inner Sanctum, which has been overrun by OMAC and the Dark Knight's own corrupted technology. Fight along side Batman against Brother Eye!"

How is this new?

theta11

The Group Loot UI should no longer completely abandon all input if it is open when the scorecard appears automatically.
I don't like the sound of that...
The PS3 virtual keyboard will no longer automatically pop up in quickchat mode if you have a keyboard connected to the PS3.
Reply to tells should now continue working after opening/closing UIs.
Pressing ‘/’ (forward slash) on the keyboard will now open quick chat mode and automatically add a slash to the text field.
These are relevant to my interests. :)

I am disappointed Sorcery got no love, they have a few bugs, Pet AI in general, Soul Well not adding a damage buff in DPS stance but you can't have everything.

Killthee

Sblargh said:
"New Batcave Raid – 8 players will have the opportunity to infiltrate and retake Batman's Inner Sanctum, which has been overrun by OMAC and the Dark Knight's own corrupted technology. Fight along side Batman against Brother Eye!"

How is this new?
The current Batcave raid is the Tier 1 Outer Caverns. The new raid is the Tier 2 Inner Caverns that has you fighting along side Batman. It was playable during the PC closed beta, but it's new to everyone else.

theta11

Sblargh said:

How is this new?

Basically is the second part to the Batcave we've been doing. Actually the Batcave Raid we've been doing is like Oracle says the Outer Caverns and the you actually fight the final boss at the auxiliary entrance to the Batcave. So the 2nd raid picks up there and Batman joins you this time to continue your route through! I'm really excited about it.

icechai

Super canceling too early out of longer animating multi-hit weapon combos will now cause you to drop one or more of the attacks hits.

so the official name for frame cancelling is super cancel, and it looks like they're making it less OP'd. Also you can't cancel from one super move to another which is good.

no more stacking pyrokinesis means less crazy damage from mentalists, now they'll have to use other skills, gasp. no more super dash cancels and longer cool down so super speed won't be able to leave battles as easily (i was just grounding them w/ the air movement skill anyways :)).

oh and just to rub it in the face of one rude poster in this thread...
The Hand Blaster ability Pulse Beam no longer continues to do damage once the animation and visual effect have stopped.
scroll to previous pages to see utter ignorance.

MORTARS NOW RESPECT LINE OF SIGHT. wow that's huge, i didn't even think that was a big deal, but nice.

also they're improving looks on a ton of existing styles.. so that should be interesting.

theta11

icechai said:
MORTARS NOW RESPECT LINE OF SIGHT. wow that's huge, i didn't even think that was a big deal, but nice.

That's the main reason the rifle exploit was so deadly, at the begining of the 4v4 arena match you could kill the entire team through the wall right before the door making sure your team got to the center first. Not to mention people hiding behind random walls/barriers and spamming 1k mortars on you...yeah.

icechai said:
scroll to previous pages to see utter ignorance.

It just means now the damage will happen sooner. The ignorance still belongs to you, all the "Exploit" fixes are not listed in the patchnotes for fear of people abusing them further. Hence Sweep Shot and other bugs like "How to bug Smallvillie" are currently omitted. There are other changes too like a 30% nerf to mortars damage that are not listed. Try reading the patchnotes.

Wallach

ChronicleX said:
It just means now the damage will happen sooner. The ignorance still belongs to you, all the "Exploit" fixes are not listed in the patchnotes for fear of people abusing them further. Hence Sweep Shot and other bugs like "How to bug Smallvillie" are currently omitted. There are other changes too like a 30% nerf to mortars damage that are not listed. Try reading the patchnotes.

The mortar damage thing you're talking about isn't actually a change, it's a suggestion because mortar isn't currently normalized like other weapon attacks.

As for pulse beam, it's going to stop at 13 hits.

Sblargh

Banned
Woah, nice!
I mean, I haven't got around to completing a tier 1 raid yet, so it will take a while to go to a tier 2, but it is very good that it exists, so there is that to shoot for.

Wallach said:
The mortar damage thing you're talking about isn't actually a change, it's a suggestion because mortar isn't currently normalized like other weapon attacks.

As for pulse beam, it's going to stop at 13 hits.

No, its still going to be 26 hits if you hold the button. Unless you do the full duration, the skill is weaker than every other weapon skill in the game atm. Second the motar change is not a suggestion it is an omitted change. Sticking "Reduced Mortar damage by 30%" = "OMG must get rifle and abuse mortar before patch comes". Do not expect full patchnotes until the patch is live.

Wallach

ChronicleX said:
No, its still going to be 26 hits if you hold the button. Unless you do the full duration, the skill is weaker than every other weapon skill in the game atm. Second the motar change is not a suggestion it is an omitted change. Sticking "Reduced Mortar damage by 30%" = "OMG must get rifle and abuse mortar before patch comes". Do not expect full patchnotes until the patch is live.

The mortar change is a suggestion, and you're welcome to ask the guy that wrote it. His post is patch notes that he was expecting and are not listed (not exploit omissions). You're simply confused.

As for pulse beam, you'll find out come Tuesday.

Wallach said:
The mortar change is a suggestion, and you're welcome to ask the guy that wrote it. His post is patch notes that he was expecting and are not listed (not exploit omissions). You're simply confused.

As for pulse beam, you'll find out come Tuesday.

No. They are patchnotes expected that are omitted. They are not suggestions, they are a list of things RadarX has said "Are in" in other topics. He himself said in that same topic "Patch notes are omitted". It's under the tag "Iffy" because while he has be quoted in saying something along them lines, it was not an actual statement of "this is the exact thing that is in". You are the one who is confused, or you just fail at reading.

Wallach

ChronicleX said:
No. They are patchnotes expected that are omitted. They are not suggestions, they are a list of things RadarX has said "Are in" in other topics. He himself said in that same topic "Patch notes are omitted". You are the one who is confused, or you just fail at reading.

No, I'm not. I helped him re-write the post you're referencing.

They're items that were expected to be fixed, but were not listed and are currently assumed not fixed until tested. The ones at the bottom of the list are there because they are not cold bugs, just things that seem egregiously out of line (thus require certain design assumptions instead of being strictly bugs).

You're welcome to contact tehm via PM if you need it clarified and think I am mistaken.

icechai

theta11 said:
That's the main reason the rifle exploit was so deadly, at the begining of the 4v4 arena match you could kill the entire team through the wall right before the door making sure your team got to the center first. Not to mention people hiding behind random walls/barriers and spamming 1k mortars on you...yeah.

oh yeah the arena, i was mainly concerned about the 1k dmg thing and not the line of sight as i don't do the king of the hill too much.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Thats a fairly nice big patch.

The new alert is only for the holiday and not permanent?
Yup. I think the same applies to all the other Valentines Day themed stuff (Harley Quinn clown suit/Cherub disguise, 100 player cherub PvP instance, and the "Be Mine" feat). The original plan was to only have it available till the end of the month, but since they delayed the patch for a week I'm guessing they'll push back the cutoff date.

Nightz said:
Finally reached level 30 with a character lol. Wish I had as much time to play as some of you guys. :(
Congrats. I just hit 30 with my hero also :D

If it's your hero dude and you want to do some duos or other level 30 stuff, hit me up.

Fitz

I've been ridiculously lucky with the vault today, 3 blues items between 2 characters. A Riddler t-shirt, Sinestro hoodie and a Superboy hoodie, makes a nice change from only getting styles I already have.

As a troller i'm feeling that domination is not all that important, I just don't see it having much affect on stun duration at all especially with all the tougher enemies that almost seem stun resistant or bosses that just shrug it off, and in PVP it's meaningless since anyone can shrug off stuns rapidly with button presses. I heard in early betas that domination was more important and did something in pvp but they got nerfed to hell before retail release. Vitalization seems more important to me than anything. Getting my tier gear now and I'm wondering if I should bother even getting the controller gear and sacrificing my damage for dom + vit, or just get the base dps gear which raises all my stats.

Varna

BattleMonkey said:
As a troller i'm feeling that domination is not all that important, I just don't see it having much affect on stun duration at all especially with all the tougher enemies that almost seem stun resistant or bosses that just shrug it off, and in PVP it's meaningless since anyone can shrug off stuns rapidly with button presses. I heard in early betas that domination was more important and did something in pvp but they got nerfed to hell before retail release. Vitalization seems more important to me than anything. Getting my tier gear now and I'm wondering if I should bother even getting the controller gear and sacrificing my damage for dom + vit, or just get the base dps gear which raises all my stats.
Same boat as you. I already have two of the tier one controller pieces and with 460 Dom I don't notice much of a difference from 360. I don't see why they can't just add small delay in breaking out or cost a lot of energy to do so. That would make it somewhat useful. How about Dom effecting the damage to cc abilities too?

Colkate said:
I've been ridiculously lucky with the vault today, 3 blues items between 2 characters. A Riddler t-shirt, Sinestro hoodie and a Superboy hoodie, makes a nice change from only getting styles I already have.

Would you beleive I also got the riddler shirt today?

I also got a zoom t shirt/ hoodie (not sure which)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if i do mass lev does dom affect anything in that? how long the guys float? how much damage they take when hit with the lev (or is that just might)? mass lev is really the only dom ability i use i believe (if it even is one) though i keep buying troller stuff just for the vitalization mostly because the base vitalization is a total joke in terms of its effect on the group (way more so than base healing ability). it kills me when i have to take a hit to might though. wish i could just take it to precision or something.

Sblargh

Banned
Two very small things that bother me:

1 - Zatanna doing magic without speaking backwards.

2 - Fire is brazillian, like I am, and her accent is this weird bad mexican accent. But what really bothers is how she screams a "bastante" without making sense.
"Bastante" can be literally translated to "enough", but we don't ever use "enough" in this sense. So my girlfriend always laughs at this crazy woman screaming a "bastante!" without reason (and, again, with an accent that don't resemble any of Brazil's gazillion different accents).

Just nitpicking.

Varna

AstroLad said:
if i do mass lev does dom affect anything in that? how long the guys float? how much damage they take when hit with the lev (or is that just might)? mass lev is really the only dom ability i use i believe (if it even is one) though i keep buying troller stuff just for the vitalization mostly because the base vitalization is a total joke in terms of its effect on the group (way more so than base healing ability). it kills me when i have to take a hit to might though. wish i could just take it to precision or something.

It effects the duration yes. But even stacking an extra 100 dom isn't going to make that much of a difference. It won't effect PVP or higher tier monsters (forget about it even doing anything to bosses) because they can simply break out.

EDIT: Going off other powers. Don't use Mass Lev a lot.

theta11

All Dominance is supposed to do is increase the damage a monster can take before a CC ends. The problem Dominance I think is that it doesn't scale well due the nature of it, for every 2 Dominance you gain 1 damage before a CC breaks so someone with 600 Dominance will gain 300 damage before breaking CC whereas someone with 500 Dominance will gain 250. Due to such small returns the only reason to have Dominance is to inflict the status effect in the first place since your Dominance must be higher than the monsters Willpower to apply a control effect.

Trying to modify Dominance the way you described without giving players better forms of resistance ie through something like the Willpower stat monsters carry would make controllers overpowered to the point where you would need a tank to kill one instead of how it is now where a tank is just really helpful. :p What would be better is if they just removed Dominance from PVP gear and split the points up between the other stats, same goes for PVP tank gear.

Varna

theta11 said:
Trying to modify Dominance the way you described without giving players better forms of resistance ie through something like the Willpower stat monsters carry would make controllers overpowered to the point where you would need a tank to kill one instead of how it is now where a tank is just really helpful. :p What would be better is if they just removed Dominance from PVP gear and split the points up between the other stats, same goes for PVP tank gear.

From what I've been reading the classes are just paper, rock and scissors.

Controllers > Healers > Tanks

Dominance can be it's own counter stat and that would give the edge to Tanks in a fight just like it's suppose to be (being able to resist most CC abilities).

theta11

Varna said:
From what I've been reading the classes are just paper, rock and scissors.

Controllers > Healers > Tanks

Dominance can be it's own counter stat and that would give the edge to Tanks in a fight just like it's suppose to be (being able to resist most CC abilities).

What I was getting at was the slight advantage tanks have over controllers in PvP due to stat allocation, since Dominance has no effect in PvP most tanks just buy the neutral PvP gear, their stance bonuses would still affect that and they had no points wasted in Dominance, controllers don't have that option since they still require the Vitalization.

Making dominance be a counter stat would work in theory, because as it is now being in tank stance make tanks immune to debuffs and highly resistant to control effects, so it would make using the PvP tank gear more mandatory if you are in tank role rather than optional.

theta11 said:
What I was getting at was the slight advantage tanks have over controllers in PvP due to stat allocation, since Dominance has no effect in PvP most tanks just buy the neutral PvP gear, their stance bonuses would still affect that and they had no points wasted in Dominance, controllers don't have that option since they still require the Vitalization.

Yea I just don't see Domination as being of any use to controllers, Vitalization means more than anything. Getting tier gear for my controller just weakens me in PVP unless I get another set of armor just for DPS.

hermit7

So kj is like dead. No one is on or at least no one is on now. Wanted to do some alerts but can't even get into a party and I am a healer.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
So kj is like dead. No one is on or at least no one is on now. Wanted to do some alerts but can't even get into a party and I am a healer.
Yeah I've also noticed that its getting harder to find random groups by shouting. I think part of it has to do with the sub cost kicking in for launch day purchases and partly because the leagues have sucked up the people sticking with the game. I think we're gonna have to expand the league past GAF so we can have a healthy number of people to play with/enough people for weekly raids. I'm open to suggestions if you guys have any.

HoD Armoury in 15 minutes (felt really easy) and Arkham in 26:28. Arkham was pretty nuts, its the one speed feat where DPS is not the limitation. Smallvillie is still the hardest speedfeat todo by far though, we barely made that one. Also this topic is starting to ease up on the screenshots, common people. Show off ya stuff.

edpo9.jpg

Fitz

Alrighty then, my main, wanted to go with the whole warlock/sorcerer look, for some reason the anti aliasing got all messed up in that screenshot but oh well.

e88993fe1c159c0cfa389044c2bc89ca60519de0.jpg

icechai

2 30s, and now i'm back to lvling my ice dps, ice is still my fave and w/ the new patches that will force people to play with a little more skill, melee is now an option again :)

Top Bottom