• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

The new Ring war event they are putting in is the one that is going to be in Gotham right? Assume it's the same gear offered by the one in Metropolis and not new items to get? Sounded like they plan to add more rewards later, so assume that they are just going to offer the same stuff to purchase for both ring wars for now.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've come to the realization that this game is really terrible.

Same quests over and over again. Kill 20 enemies, save 20 civilians, carry 5 objects from A to B.

Heroics are no different from non heroics. Still AoE spamfests with little strategy involved. not to mention the queuing system is awful. Several times now I get into a dungeon were only 2 of us accepted the prompt and were forced to quit unless we attempt to 2 man a 4 man dungeon. Combine that with the most atrocious world PvP I've seen (due to the lack of zones and extremely poor balance), and this game is just not very good.

I was blinded by what I thought was a deep real time battle system (which it isnt). I now realize my folly. DCU, you will go down as being no better or worse than Star Trek Online, aka bottom of the barrel MMO.

TheExodu5 said:
I was blinded by what I thought was a deep real time battle system (which it isnt). I now realize my folly. DCU, you will go down as being no better or worse than Star Trek Online, aka bottom of the barrel MMO.

Opinions man, but yea it ain't going to be anywhere as bad as STO. Course people calling STO bad don't seem to realize that it's apparently very successful according to recent Atari financials.

Questing is pretty much same as every other MMO.

TheExodu5

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Opinions man, but yea it ain't going to be anywhere as bad as STO. Course people calling STO bad don't seem to realize that it's apparently very successful according to recent Atari financials.

Questing is pretty much same as every other MMO.
No questing is not like other MMOs at all. WoW and the upcoming RIFT put DCUO to shame in terms of questing.

Guild Wars missions were far more involved and interesting than DCUOs alerts. LOTRO's dungeons and world design are far superior.

The list goes on.

Also, financial success has nothin to do with the quality of the game. WAR was much better than STO, even though it didn't do very well.

Oh, I also forgot to mention the fact that DCUO has the worst MMO interface I've seen outside of FF XI and FF XIV.

TheExodu5 said:
No questing is not like other MMOs at all. WoW and the upcoming RIFT put DCUO to shame in terms of questing.

Guild Wars missions were far more involved and interesting than DCUOs alerts. LOTRO's dungeons and world design are far superior.

The list goes on.

Also, financial success has nothin to do with the quality of the game. WAR was much better than STO, even though it didn't do very well.

Outside of dungeons/raids, I completely disagree. Questing is generally the same bs of repetitive tasks. DC at least makes it go by really fast, which is also a bad thing in a way with how fast one can blaze through all the quests and my main concern.

There biggest issue is there "dungeons" for the most part are pretty straight forward and not as creative as some of the stuff we see in other games.

LOTRO while it has some nice story line unique missions and dungeons, but has some of the worst questing of any MMO I've ever played outsde of STO and it's generic mission generation. Having you do hundred quests involving killing a bunch of bears and wolves over and over again is not fun game design, especially with how slow it all is and with so much friggin world travel one must do.

TheExodu5 said:
I have no clue how you could prefer DCUOs quests to LOTRO. :|

Anyways, that's it for me and DCUO. Rift awaits.

Looking at my quest journal for LOTRO right now to do, I got 35 our out of 40 quest that involve killing x amount of creatures.

BattleMonkey said:
Do the collect Styles feat? You can just go to the Hall of Doom/Watchtower and buy a bunch of random styles to quickly get the feats.
Hmm, I can't remember if I have it or not. I'll have to check.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
RadarX said:
The servers will be coming down February 22nd for a patch to introduce the February Update for all platforms and countires. Please see below for specifics times regarding your servers. Downtime on all servers is anticipated to be approximately 2 hours.

EU PS3 Servers - 1:30 PM CET

US PS3 Servers - 6:30 AM PT

darkwing said:
its expensive though :(

Well once you get high up in the game level wise you make lot of money with no real use for it at the moment so buying a piece here and there is not really that big an expense. Of course easiest thing to do is basically put on everything you look just to get it's style even if you don't plan on using the item.

Ha, just got randomly matched in a PvP arena with a pick up group vs. Kilthee and co. We pretty much got smoked!

That was my first PvP Arena and I had no idea whatsoever what was going on. But it was fun and funny to see the name "Enchantress" pop up. I was like, he's good and he's a healer, I have to kill him!

Killthee

Mercury Fred said:
Ha, just got randomly matched in a PvP arena with a pick up group vs. Kilthee and co. We pretty much got smoked!

That was my first PvP Arena and I had no idea whatsoever what was going on. But it was fun and funny to see the name "Enchantress" pop up. I was like, he's good and he's a healer, I have to kill him!
Yeah that was awesome! I think if your group had just focused on me like you were you guys would have probably gotten a lot closer. All my gear is PvE gear to boost up my resto so I go down pretty quickly if I have a couple of guys on me and you weren't making it any easier to heal with all your hard stuns.

Killthee said:
Yeah that was awesome! I think if your group had just focused on me like you were you guys would have probably gotten a lot closer. All my gear is PvE gear to boost up my resto so I go down pretty quickly if I have a couple of guys on me and you weren't making it any easier to heal with all your hard stuns.
Yeah, it made me want to dust off my villain and get her to 30 so we can play some more.

I wonder if there will ever be a heroes and villains team up mission? It'd be a nice twist, especially on the PvP servers :D

One more thing-- is there a good guide to gear for once you hit level 30? I'm a little confused about the variety of marks, reputation/ standing, PvE vs PvP gear, etc.

Killthee

Mercury Fred said:
Yeah, it made me want to dust off my villain and get her to 30 so we can play some more.

I wonder if there will ever be a heroes and villains team up mission? It'd be a nice twist, especially on the PvP servers :D

One more thing-- is there a good guide to gear for once you hit level 30? I'm a little confused about the variety of marks, reputation/ standing, PvE vs PvP gear, etc.
Do it! We'll power level you up to 30 in no time!

I can't imagine them not adding some co-op alerts that turn competitive toward the end. Would be fun to have the spontaneous co-op/clusterfuck gameplay that sometimes occurs in PvP during bounties turned into a full on alert.

This post helped me figure out what was what when I reached 30. The Wikia is also filled with a bunch of info.

Some images of my hero's two looks, wish I can get the robot legs and chest.

98oyc.png

Z2qEp.png

jye7i.png

TheExodu5 said:
I've come to the realization that World of Warcraft is an MMO.

Same quests over and over again. Kill 20 boars, save 20 Soldiers, gather 50 objects from A to B.

Heroics are no different from non heroics. Still AoE spamfests with little strategy involved. not to mention the queuing system is awful. Several times now I get into a dungeon pug and were forced to quit unless we attempt to 2 man a 5 man dungeon. However that's what pug's are, my own fault for not getting a group. Combine that with the most atrocious world PvP I've seen (due to the lack of zones and extremely poor balance), and this game is just not very good.

I was blinded by what I thought was a deep battle system (which it isnt, 22222422). I now realize my folly. World of Waracft, you will go down as being no better or worse than Facebook, aka something we wish people would stop using/playing.

I enjoyed fixing that quote. Kinda funny as most of it I did not have to change, you was practically talking about WoW for the entire thing, even using WoW terminology such as Heroics.

Sblargh

Banned
But I do think they should rework somehow their queue system. Even remove it, so people have no choice other than good old /shout LFG.
Maybe instead of putting you directly ready to jump on an instance, they should put you in a kind of lobby, to make sure you are grouping with other people, etc.
On the other hand, said lobby already kind of exists in the Watchtower/Hall of Doom, since everyone knows it is there you go to LFG.

Grinchy

Banned
Sblargh said:
But I do think they should rework somehow their queue system. Even remove it, so people have no choice other than good old /shout LFG.
Maybe instead of putting you directly ready to jump on an instance, they should put you in a kind of lobby, to make sure you are grouping with other people, etc.
On the other hand, said lobby already kind of exists in the Watchtower/Hall of Doom, since everyone knows it is there you go to LFG.

Definitely agree that something needs to be reworked. It seems that even if you are in a full group from LFGing, you can still get placed in an instance that is already halfway through, or even stuck at the boss fight. Why doesn't it start a brand new instance for a full group? Why does PVP seem to take longer to queue with 4 people?

Game has lot of issues obviously but I haven't played a MMO that didn't have a laundry list of issues at launch. I think the patch notes or the first major update looks good so far so I hope the trend continues to improve, but of course we have to see how the patches turn out as well.... we all know how patches to MMO's tend to often fix things while breaking new things.

CozMick

Banned
Scrub (just got the game last night) needs some info please.............

1. What is a Mark of Legends? I received 2 for winning a 4v4 Legends match.

2. Why does my inventory gear get destroyed when equipping new gear?

3. Are any items that can be sold to the vendor needed for future missions or can I sell once I pick them up?

4. Some gear in my inventory is un-equipable, any idea why? I have a helmet that can't be equipped.

5. What does the blue icon next to my gear mean?

Hope you can help me, thanks ;)

CozMick said:
Scrub (just got the game last night) needs some info please.............

1. What is a Mark of Legends? I received 2 for winning a 4v4 Legends match.

2. Why does my inventory gear get destroyed when equipping new gear?

3. Are any items that can be sold to the vendor needed for future missions or can I sell once I pick them up?

4. Some gear in my inventory is un-equipable, any idea why? I have a helmet that can't be equipped.

5. What does the blue icon next to my gear mean?

Hope you can help me, thanks ;)

1.) Marks of legend you use to buy more legend characters. You are given one character to start but to play as the other characters you need to buy them using the marks.

2.) Only stuff that gets destroyed are things that are just style that you often will get in vault as reward. Usually no stats on the stuff but it has visual look.

3.) The stuff that has no use is meant to be sold, game has no trade in for the stuff or crafting so it's just junk meant to make more money by selling.

4.) You either are not of proper level or it has a role attached to it that your character is not capable of. At top of stats it might say (healer, tank, controller). The power set you chose at creation will determine which role your character falls under, any gear marked for a different role than what you have, can't be equipped.

5.) The blue icon most likely means your gear is damaged. As you get knocked out and respawn, the gear you wear takes damage and eventually will need repair or it gives you no stat bonuses no more.

CozMick

Banned
I very much appreciate the help BattleMonkey, thanks :)

So the items getting destroyed have no stats attached to them, they're just for a different visual look?

Oh and one last thing, what are the consequences of fleeing when downed?

again thanks for the help.

Sblargh

Banned
Flee or Rally have the same consequence: damaged equipment that need to be repaired. But on Alerts on raids, if you flee on a boss fight, you are usually locked out of there and can't help the group (which usually means everyone will die, unless the boss is almost dead). By being rallied, you are able to stay on the fight.

TheExodu5

Banned
ChronicleX said:
I enjoyed fixing that quote. Kinda funny as most of it I did not have to change, you was practically talking about WoW for the entire thing, even using WoW terminology such as Heroics.

The funny thing is, you're wrong on almost all counts.

WoW's questing has evolved to be far more than that. If you really think WoW is all kill and fetch quests, you couldn't be further from the truth.

That's not the only problem with the questing though. The main issue in DCUO is that every hub is the same thing. Same setting, same 3 quests repeated non stop. WoW has you going from snowy regions, to plains, to a canyon, to a dark forest, to volcanic regions, to dying lands, to outer space, to bladed mountains, to a northern continent, to an underwater zone, etc... Each zone has an overarching storyline which involves you a lot more than "aquaman is attacking! kill his water minions! save waterlogged people! etc..".

Heroics are not AoE fests in the least bit. Where DCUO's heroics can be done with little to no strategy whatsoever, WoW's heroics require strategy. Regular pulls require CCs. All bosses have specific abilities that require awareness. More than DCUO's "adds spawn, kill them and go back to the boss".

Rifts quests are similar to classic and maybe BC WoW, which is already a big step above DCUO. On top of that, there are invasions, rifts, and other events that encourage a lot of world PvE interaction with other players. The dungeons aren't a complete snoozefest like DCUO either.

The main problem with DCUO is this: it never evolves. What you're doing at level 10, you'll be doing at level 30. Same city, same combos, maybe one or two more skills. All my healer did was right click attack (since this builds up mana faster than any combo), a target heal, an aoe heal, a healing circle, and a cooldown. That's it.

Also, you saying wow is 222224 makes your knowledge of the game laughable. My rogue has 40 abilities or so, in which around 25 are used in PvE settings, and around 35 of them in PvP setting. Combine that with a ton of extra dungeon/raiding mechanics that require full raid awareness, and the game is far more involved than you think it is.

Sblargh

Banned
I disagree, mang. Game is exciting and the hard alerts and raids are fun. It is an action game, I enjoy so much being a healer in this game, as I am worried about health bars, about my mana bar, about what spell to use when, but also about combos, blocking, dodging, being in a good spot now to heal and shoot now, knowing that I'll have to move soon.

I don't know if it is a game about too much strategy, but it is about not being a snoozefest, about always pressing some button and doing something.

Mafro

Downloading the new patch now. There's an initial 121MB patch, then an in-game one just over 2GB that's a slow-ass download.

TheExodu5 said:
That's not the only problem with the questing though. The main issue in DCUO is that every hub is the same thing. Same setting, same 3 quests repeated non stop. WoW has you going from snowy regions, to plains, to a canyon, to a dark forest, to volcanic regions, to dying lands, to outer space, to bladed mountains, to a northern continent, to an underwater zone, etc... Each zone has an overarching storyline which involves you a lot more than "aquaman is attacking! kill his water minions! save waterlogged people! etc..".

WoW is the same crap over and over again, with a new coat of paint. It's all smoke and mirrors to make it seem more interesting. I would give WoW that it does a good job of making things seem different, though all you are doing is the same quests over and over again, it just has more flash to make it more interesting. Played for 4 years and tried Cat and really, it's gotten old. Blizzard has done a decent job with production values of it's quests, with Cat basically masking what was a very straight forward grind. Loved the game but after 4 years I just had gotten burned out of WoW.

I haven't tried Rifts yet though, I'm interested in it so might give it a shot. But might just not and wait for GW2

TheExodu5 said:
The funny thing is, you're wrong on almost all counts.

No, 100% correct on all. Blizzard redid all the 1-60 stuff for a reason, it is so they could "hide" it better because you have been doing the same old shit for 6 years. The reason everyone hates the outlands is because it is not hidden at all. Kill 20 dudes + use stick on his corpse because its part of the overarching story of the quests is still a kill 20 dudes quest. Go collect 20 swords and only this mob has the sword? Thats a kill 20 dudes quest too.

DCU doesn't hide it as good as WoW does because it does not need to. WoW needs to because every single fight is just the "optimal DPS rotation" which normally amounts to pressing 2 over and over provided 3 is active and using 4 when its off cooldown.

bunbun777

ChronicleX said:
No, 100% correct on all.

I like to check this thread to see what is new, what is the good and bad about the DC world, I may or may not get it in the future. As it is now, I have no real opinion on the game but love reading others' impressions.

I do not appreciate seeing some one piss on another game while doing so and then say it is 100% correct, or fact, or whatever bullshit it is. Ugh.

theta11

WoW has the exact same quests over and over again, the scenery and the quest giver changes giving you the effect that they are highly different but around 95% of quests in WoW fit into generic fetch/kill quests. Cataclysm added alot more insteresting quests that varied from this formula and they redid the Vanilla quests. The phasing that added in LK and progressed through into Cata really helps with the feeling that you are in the world where when you complete the quest the area changes for you to reflect that change.

The problem I have with DCUO is the empty feel of it, that's where WoW is vastly different. Apart from the named Heroes/Villians the world itself is completely bland, the streets are empty for the most part aside from a few suicidal cars and random people walking around. I feel it would have been better to divide up the cities into zones, Little Bohemia, Chinatown and Tomorrow District, Midtown and Downtown for Metro and divide Gotham into 2 zones. It makes increasing the size of the city easier without having to suffer more performance issues and it really allows you to go into greater detail in the zones and give them more character because at the moment there are huge chunks of either city that simply serve no purpose.

Another thing is that doesn't help is the speed at which you reach endgame content, it takes around 20 or so played hours to get to max level, they were banking on you to make 6 characters from each mentor but in reality there isn't much difference between them and by level 6 you are doing the same quests apart from 2 mentor specific quests at 15 and 30. The starting zones should have been truly unique, like if you pick Wonder Woman youd be on a Braniac ship over Themyscira and when you finished you go down and drive Braniac off Themyscira with the final quest being you and Wonder Woman vs a Braniac Boss of some kind and when it was all over you got invited to the Watchtower. Each hero and villian would have a unique into like that, so like Lex would be Downtown/Midtown, Superman in Little Bohemia or Smallville, Batman in East End/Otisburg. Braniac is attacking the whole planet, there is so many options available to make the experience variable and I think they completely missed out.

Oh and the bugs/exploits and poor social experience don't help either....yeah.

CozMick

Banned
2gb download on a 50meg line took me an hour last night...............

Slow assed servers better be quicker this time round.

TheExodu5

Banned
ChronicleX said:
No, 100% correct on all. Blizzard redid all the 1-60 stuff for a reason, it is so they could "hide" it better because you have been doing the same old shit for 6 years. The reason everyone hates the outlands is because it is not hidden at all. Kill 20 dudes + use stick on his corpse because its part of the overarching story of the quests is still a kill 20 dudes quest. Go collect 20 swords and only this mob has the sword? Thats a kill 20 dudes quest too.

DCU doesn't hide it as good as WoW does because it does not need to. WoW needs to because every single fight is just the "optimal DPS rotation" which normally amounts to pressing 2 over and over provided 3 is active and using 4 when its off cooldown.
Open with garrote.
Use engineering AGI enchant.
Slice n dice.
Combo until 4 or 5.
Rupture.
Refresh slice and dice with envenom as late as possible.
Keep up rupture/snd
Incoming aoe? Use feint.
Trinket proc? Use cooldowns to sync up for beat dps possible.
Aoe mobs? Fan of knives.
Mobs need to be slowed? Fan of knives.
Other rogue in the raid? Sync tricks of the trade.
Enemy casting? Kick.
Incoming melee damage? Evasion and or [the defensive ability that procs on hit]
Incoming spell damage or unwanted debuff? Cloak of shadows.
Snare? Escape artist.
Target switching? Redirect.
In fight cc [chogall]? Blind.
Mob needs to be disarmed? Disarm.
Mob is enraged? Shiv.
Need to move quickly? Sprint, or Nitro Boosts in dire circumstances.

A little more than 222224.

Varna

Sblargh said:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/21/dcuo-interview-part-1-squashing-bugs/

Was this mentioned? Good interview about what they are doing to fix stuff.

Kind of bothers me that the animation canceling is "inherent."

There are little tutorials for just about everything, but not this. Also weapons are not created equal for this kind of thing. Some weapons have incredible damage loaded in a really slow animation that is incredibly easy to cancel. This is a big problem.

Wallach

Varna said:
Kind of bothers me that the animation canceling is "inherent."

There are little tutorials for just about everything, but not this. Also weapons are not created equal for this kind of thing. Some weapons have incredible damage loaded in a really slow animation that is incredibly easy to cancel. This is a big problem.

I think his point is that you are not supposed to get the big damage if you cancel out of a weapon attack like that. The cancel system being inherent is there so don't feel locked into the animations of the weapon attacks if you need to immediately hit a power. I do think they should tell the player this is possible, but I think a lot of the ways it is being used right now are things that are going to go away soon - a lot of them going away in a couple hours.

Wallach said:
I think his point is that you are not supposed to get the big damage if you cancel out of a weapon attack like that. The cancel system being inherent is there so don't feel locked into the animations of the weapon attacks if you need to immediately hit a power. I do think they should tell the player this is possible, but I think a lot of the ways it is being used right now are things that are going to go away soon - a lot of them going away in a couple hours.
The problem was that you could cancel out of something and still have it go off. The patch should fix this. The other problem was a bug that allowed you to instant cast any ability if you used it in the middle of certain combos, even 4 second cast skills and they would never miss if used this way.

TheExodu5 said:
Your right, it is a little more if you include your 3 minute cooldowns, it means every 3 minutes you get to press 1 extra button, oh Joy!

TheExodu5 said:
Open with garrote.
Use engineering AGI enchant.
Slice n dice.
Combo until 4 or 5.
Rupture.
Refresh slice and dice with envenom as late as possible.
Keep up rupture/snd
Incoming aoe? Use feint.
Trinket proc? Use cooldowns to sync up for beat dps possible.
Aoe mobs? Fan of knives.
Mobs need to be slowed? Fan of knives.
Other rogue in the raid? Sync tricks of the trade.
Enemy casting? Kick.
Incoming melee damage? Evasion and or [the defensive ability that procs on hit]
Incoming spell damage or unwanted debuff? Cloak of shadows.
Snare? Escape artist.
Target switching? Redirect.
In fight cc [chogall]? Blind.
Mob needs to be disarmed? Disarm.
Mob is enraged? Shiv.
Need to move quickly? Sprint, or Nitro Boosts in dire circumstances.

Ah delicious rogue, my main for so many years. It's true that other games have more options, though I think the point is and is true, that you rarely ever use that huge list of options in a fight. You generally just will repeate over and over again the same combos that give you optimal results in WoW, while everything else is situational outside of PVP where you will have to use your whole arsenal of tool bars.

Course DCUO being a brawler and obviously with a more casual console based set up is going to have lot less options since you can't really combine the real time combat with a ton of hot bars of options.

Top Bottom