• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerkShep

Does the show improve substantially after the pilot? I really like The Flash (and liked the first two seasons of Arrow), but LoT doesn't seem to have the production values to pull what they were going for, it all feels so fake and low budget, it gives me Smallville vibes unfortunately. The characters aren't helping, most of them were fine in their respective shows (except the Hawk couple, they were shitty from the start) but they don't seem to mesh together well here, and the writing is pretty bad on its own. Should I continue regardless?

Magwik

Banned
So keep him in a chemically induced coma forever.

In episode 3, Rip cut the dude's throat. Why didn't they carry his bleeding out ass onto the ship?

Especially after Savage took the picture of Rip's family and found out their names.
Take no chances of giving an immortal a time ship. They don't know how his immortality works. He could easily come back to life and gank all of them and run freely through time.

Joni

Does the show improve substantially after the pilot? I really like The Flash (and liked the first two seasons of Arrow), but LoT doesn't seem to have the production values to pull what they were going for, it all feels so fake and low budget, it gives me Smallville vibes unfortunately. The characters aren't helping, most of them were fine in their respective shows (except the Hawk couple, they were shitty from the start) but they don't seem to mesh together well here, and the writing is pretty bad on its own. Should I continue regardless?

Did you see the full pilot or only the first half? Snart, HeatWave and Sara are great. Better than in their show.

No it hasn't improved yet. Hawkman/Hawkgirl/Savage/Rip/Jackson are all garbage, Stein and Ray were fine on Arrow/Flash but suck here, and Snart and Heatwave's shtick isn't the type of thing that a show needs every week. Did I forget anyone? Oh yeah Caity Lotz is great at the action scenes but a goddamn terrible actress even by CW standards.

Of the seven shows I'm currently watching on the CW I enjoy LoT the least by a wide margin.

SeppOCE

No it hasn't improved yet. Hawkman/Hawkgirl/Savage/Rip/Jackson are all garbage, Stein and Ray were fine on Arrow/Flash but suck here, and Snart and Heatwave's shtick isn't the type of thing that a show needs every week. Did I forget anyone? Oh yeah Caity Lotz is great at the action scenes but a goddamn terrible actress even by CW standards.

Of the seven shows I'm currently watching on the CW I enjoy LoT the least by a wide margin.

Arrow has been far worse than these last 3-4 episodes of LoT for nearly two seasons. LoT is at least refreshing.

Chase17

So does Savage reincarnate as an adult while hawkpeople are born as kids?

Hopefully we don't have to watch two bloodlust stories at once anymore.

Earendil

It leads to the problem who is actually doing that, and how to keep that person alive under attack of the time masters.

I still assume they didn't have the right dagger.

Why not kill him like Rip did in Ep3, and toss him out an airlock while they are sitting in the time vortex thing? That way when he does revive, he's stranded.

Chariot

Savage isn't reincarnating like the Hawks, he just lives again, or doesn't die in the first place. Now, the ashes thing is something else of course, but we'll see what comes out of that.

ZeroX03

Banned
My general assumption at the moment is his immortality is completely broken, and whenever he 'dies' he can be be restored from as little as a single cell anywhere in the world he wants and must be killed in a very specific way by Hawkgirl and only during the 16th episode of a TV show. Otherwise things just don't make sense.

Chariot

Yeah, I also imagined him like an enhanced namekian from Dragonball given the regeneration. Slowly, but surely regenerating everything as long as some microscopic core remains.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure

I'm pretty much on the same board here (although not quite to this degree). Leading up to the premier of the show the structure and plot were most concerning to me not the cast members.

This show needs to make a course correction and drop some its weaker characters.

Cafeman

This show it just as terrible as I feared, when they announced it. I keep trying to like it. It doesn't matter how hard the actors try, if the writers don't come up with better stories, more captivating action and dialogue, it won't be saved.

Most of the dialogue is unconvincing bickering and complaining. That needs to stop and they need more believable pressure and drama between these characters. For example, two of them could start to become challengers as leaders among the group, yet they start to despise each other even though they see the need to work together. It could build to a civil war type of situation. Maybe Rip could be one, and Snart the other. Although Rip is the least interesting of all the characters. I think I'd pick Snart to side with.

And what is the purpose of having heat and cold guns, yet they can't actually hit anybody because it could 'change the future' ? I say - change the future! We need to see Snart icing people, and a trail of burned destruction behind Heat Wave. Look up historical buildings burning and tie into that if you want. After all, it was Wolverine and Gambit who caused the nuclear problem at 3 Mile Island in PA, in the 70's, according to Xmen Origins/Wolverine. The only clever thing about that film. Follow Scotty's advice when he and Bones were trying to work with a 1980's engineer to develop transparent aluminum - "Why not? How do we know he isn't the fellow who invented the thing?" , to which Bones smiles, and the audience ROARED. :D

I must say though, I like seeing Snart and Heat Wave chewing scenes, and I like the professor (Garber is great), and I like the premise. And I was surprised they already killed off 1 character. That was good and surprising, although I don't think any viewer cared because we don't really know that character well anyway.

But still, currently this is the worst of all the current super-heroes shows. They should make us like Kendra, then have Canary go berzerk and kill her.

ZeroX03

Banned
The nice thing about this show is you can just bail out and come back for the (hypothetical) second season. It'll be drastically different, have cast changes and probably tackle a lot of problems people have at the moment. Due to a shorter season, turnaround and skipping pilot season there isn't a lot of room to course correct for those who think it's necessary.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Let's be honest, we aren't getting a second season.

It's currently tied, ratings wise, for the CW's second most watched show, so I think it's a little early to say it's over already.

I guarantee the second season would be radically different, though, regardless of any intimation of it being an anthology series.

Cafeman

So next season, they are still trying to stop Vandal Savage in time? That will get old fast.

Or will they go FORWARD and introduce the Legion of SH's? (Flash showed the Legion Ring, so its happening somewhere in the DC shows).

GulAtiCa

Can only imagine next season deals with something else. Doesn't even have to be time-travel based. A new cast of characters (though doesn't have to be brand new characters not introduced yet), new threat. Could work well.

Chariot

So next season, they are still trying to stop Vandal Savage in time? That will get old fast.

Or will they go FORWARD and introduce the Legion of SH's? (Flash showed the Legion Ring, so its happening somewhere in the DC shows).
They really have infinite possibilities in the DC Universe no matter where in time they go, especially if they can change locations that easy. Another time traveller would be a good antagonist or somebody with knowledge about it, a conspiracy that is too complex to grasp for the legends in one moment of time, etc.

Joni

The Savage story will end, Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 can be something else completely.

There is definitely room. This season is meant to be a chapter in the anthology. We have no idea where we want to leave things after this season. Our team can have new members. It can have missing members. It can have people who switch sides. That's the great thing about this show. Season 2 is not meant to be a pressing of the reset button. We want to burn through all of the possible story we can here. We want to make sure that we can never go home again, that the dynamics of this season will be irrevocably changed. Our team for Season 2, if not in the [physical] makeup of the team, will be changed in the way that [the characters] will be different [people]. Season 1 is meant to be standalone. We want to leave everything on the field and figure Season 2 out later.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/dcs-leg...llains-rip-hunter-motives-season-2-game-plan/

morningbus

We don't know yet, but going by the creators' words, the show will be something of an anthology series and should theoretically have nothing to do with the plot of the first season.

I imagine they'll keep some of the team that makes sense, add some new people, and possibly change the group "leader."

Fan casting has it being Constantine taking on the Rip role, with a team of magic characters. However, we don't know how feasible that actually is.

Parch

I like it. Right now it's better than any DC superhero show IMO.
My concern is a 2nd season of Legends will get a budget cut and turns into another borefest like Arrow.

ZeroX03

Banned
DC has so many great worlds they can explore. Classic JSA. Mystical. The Legion.

But I'd wager wherever they go next won't have constant time traveling. Time ship CG and constant set dressing is pricey.

Fan casting has it being Constantine taking on the Rip role, with a team of magic characters.

You're god damn right I want to see Constantine and Swamp Thing exploring those mystical forests that look eerily similar to Lian Yu and Vancouver.

morningbus

Legends Season 2 will go straight Sliders with the team traveling to different Earths.

Cafeman

We don't know yet, but going by the creators' words, the show will be something of an anthology series and should theoretically have nothing to do with the plot of the first season.

I did not know that. I haven't read a thing about LoT, just watched the eps. Anthology w/new plot+characters is great, cause current season is already growing tiresome.

ZeroX03

Banned
Legends Season 2 will go straight Sliders with the team traveling to different Earths.

Legends S2 is Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I did not know that. I haven't read a thing about LoT, just watched the eps. Anthology w/new plot+characters is great, cause current season is already growing tiresome.

16 episodes does seem to be a stretch for the concept. Especially when it could've been 14 and matched with Arrow and Flash, but I guess the pilot was supposed to be two hours long.

morningbus

You're god damn right I want to see Constantine and Swamp Thing exploring those mystical forests that look eerily similar to Lian Yu and Vancouver.

Throw in Boston Brand, Deadman, and you got yourself a god damn show.

Cafeman

I thought that Vandal simply couldn't die. He regenerates like Wolverine. Not that he actually is reincarnated like the Hawks do. ?

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
The nice thing about this show is you can just bail out and come back for the (hypothetical) second season. It'll be drastically different, have cast changes and probably tackle a lot of problems people have at the moment. Due to a shorter season, turnaround and skipping pilot season there isn't a lot of room to course correct for those who think it's necessary.

Yeah making a bunch of big changes midstream probably isn't good idea. Although I would still like to see the lesser characters have a somewhat diminished presence.

"Oh look, we don't need Kendra to defeat Randal Savage after all, how fortunate!!!"

Cafeman

Sighs did you by chance see the ending of Forever(abc show). Thats exactly how it ended. lol

I noticed that at least 1 writer worked on Forever. There is a Longmire connection too.

Another worked on Chuck. Did you hear Ray's wish that he could be a spy - pretty obvious shout-out to Chuck.

i don't understand how you can reincarnate as an adult ?
Does he pop out of thin air ? no mother at all ?

The way the immortals from Forever resurrected. Or at least it should though they've screwed that idea unless Vandal leaves a piece of himself somewhere for safe keeping for it to happen.

Joni

Yeah making a bunch of big changes midstream probably isn't good idea. Although I would still like to see the lesser characters have a somewhat diminished presence.

"Oh look, we don't need Kendra to defeat Randal Savage after all, how fortunate!!!"

"Oh look, we could just pick up a new version of the priestess in 2050. How convenient. We'll press the dagger into the baby's hand."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom