• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Best episode so far. They actually had cogent plans, executed them, and won. No one was a bumbler and no one on the team (currently) really needed rescuing.

And
they literally dusted the villain. I'll miss her though, she was pretty cool.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fun episode. So many asspulls when it comes to time travel, but they're just having fun so it doesn't bother me too much. Detective Lance from Arrow was a nice surprise, glad he was able to make a guest appearance.

The Pilgrim was a cool villain. She needed some characterization, but I guess they didn't want to bother since she got killed off in the same episode. Be cool if they brought her back, but her motivation is that she now knows with 100% certainty that these people will kill her, so her past self wants revenge.

I thought this was the penultimate episode, but I guess we have a few more. Curious where they could even go from here.

Luigi87

Also dunno if anyone noticed, but the show made an error last night.

When they went to 2007 to extract Sarah, it was correct and had the city as "Starling City", but when they went to 2014 to get Ray it was "Star City". Starling City wasn't renamed to Star City until 2015 in honor of the then believed to be dead Ray Palmer.

Just nit picking.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Also dunno if anyone noticed, but the show made an error last night.

When they went to 2007 to extract Sarah, it was correct and had the city as "Starling City", but when they went to 2014 to get Ray it was "Star City". Starling City wasn't renamed to Star City until 2015 in honor of the then believed to be dead Ray Palmer.

Just nit picking.
Noticed that too. But wait, was there a sign that said Star City in 2014 or was it just Gideon that said, "Star City"? I thought it was just Gideon, so in that case I was ok with it since to all the people on the ship, they now know it as Star City.

Joni

Noticed that too. But wait, was there a sign that said Star City in 2014 or was it just Gideon that said, "Star City"? I thought it was just Gideon, so in that case I was ok with it since to all the people on the ship, they now know it as Star City.

It appears as the typical 'location' sign.

Luigi87

It appears as the typical 'location' sign.

Yeah as Joni said it appears as the location sign as well as Gideon saying Star City (where as in 2007 the location sign + Gideon said Starling City)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just realized that The Time Masters have been more of a threat than Vandal Savage. I hope there isn't some 11th Hour twist that Savage is controlling them from behind the scenes, and that's why they're not aggressive about stopping him but are pulling out all the stops to wipe out Rip Hunter and the crew.

Edit: Savage being Savage haha

Magwik

Banned
I just realized that The Time Masters have been more of a threat than Vandal Savage. I hope there isn't some 11th Hour twist that Savage is controlling Savage from behind the scenes, and that's why they're not aggressive about stopping him but are pulling out all the stops to wipe out Rip Hunter and the crew.
That Savage is controlling Savage
Truly the twist of the generation

Grizzlyjin

Truly the twist of the generation

#Savage

Merlyn is going to pop up from behind the curtain and reveal that he was controlling everything that Savage has done post 2016.

Skux

That was a pretty cool episode. This show takes so many liberties with the "logistics" of time travel (if there really are any to begin with) but I've learned that's not actually the important part of the show.

The time travel concept is just a vehicle to explore the show's characters and put them in all sorts of relationship pairings and "what if" scenarios.

What if you got abandoned in the 1950s with your lover for two years and then found, but only twenty minutes had passed for your friends, how would you cope? What if you could talk to your dead father? What would you say to your past self if you got the chance?

It's still a mixed bag (the Ray/Kendra stuff grates at points) but I feel the show is at its best when playing with these concepts, rather than trying to tackle the grand plan of taking down Vandal Savage throughout history, which has never really felt like it's had weight.

ZeroX03

Banned
Are you ready to be incredibly disappointed?

#1.15 "Destiny" Synopsis
CAPTURED – Being in the vicinity of the Time Masters leaves Rip (Arthur Darvill) and Rory (Dominic Purcell) incredibly disturbed for very different reasons. Meanwhile, Sara (Caity Lotz) takes over the Waverider, Kendra (Ciara Renée) is reunited with Carter (guest star Falk Hentschel) and Snart (Wentworth Miller) decides he might be a hero after all. Olatunde Osunsanmi directed the episode with story by Marc Guggenheim and teleplay by Phil Klemmer & Chris Fedak (#115). Original airdate 5/12/2016.

The Light

Idk I don't think the time masters or savage are threats. Mick said the motocross group (forgot their name lol) was supposed to be a threat and the team handled them easily. Next was pilgrim but she got handled by Sara and later the whole team with ease.
Still was a fun episode.

On that episode title and the spoiler...

The
fangirls love him for some reason (is he hot?) and the pairing I guess because... "Destiny" is something they're into this time I guess.

That was a pretty cool episode. This show takes so many liberties with the "logistics" of time travel (if there really are any to begin with) but I've learned that's not actually the important part of the show.

The time travel concept is just a vehicle to explore the show's characters and put them in all sorts of relationship pairings and "what if" scenarios.

The travel doesn't have to be inconsistent/incoherent, it just is in this, and the characters it's in service of are so-so at best. It's one thing to let time travel wibbly wobbly slide if it's for a really good episode (e.g. Window of Opportunity in sg1), or as part of a really good story arc (Babylon 5's time travel). I'm a few episodes behind on this show but it hasn't delivered on any front really. It's not good sci fi, the characters aren't great, and it's not even particularly good by CW superhero cheese standards.

*shrug*

Personally without defined rules that are stuck to I find it makes me not give a shit about events that happen, and just call bullshit when such rules are suddenly used as an excuse to not do something later.

The travel doesn't have to be inconsistent/incoherent, it just is in this, and the characters it's in service of are so-so at best. It's one thing to let time travel wibbly wobbly slide if it's for a really good episode (e.g. Window of Opportunity in sg1), or as part of a really good story arc (Babylon 5's time travel). I'm a few episodes behind on this show but it hasn't delivered on any front really. It's not good sci fi, the characters aren't great, and it's not even particularly good by CW superhero cheese standards.

*shrug*

If I am remembering right, Stargate was always very consistent with its time travel rules. It usually stuck to the Novikov self-consistency principle (the act of time traveling was always a part of history).

The only episodes with time travel were:
Window of Opportunity
Before I Sleep
Its Good to Be King
Moebius
The Last Man
Continuum
Time
Twin Destinies

Apt101

Personally without defined rules that are stuck to I find it makes me not give a shit about events that happen, and just call bullshit when such rules are suddenly used as an excuse to not do something later.

They do have defined rules, they're just making them as they go. It helps simplify things and doesn't force the viewer to dwell on situations too much. Probably makes it easier on the writers and fits with the kind of show they're gunning for.

If I am remembering right, Stargate was always very consistent with its time travel rules. It usually stuck to the Novikov self-consistency principle (the act of time traveling was always a part of history).

The only episodes with time travel were:
Window of Opportunity
Before I Sleep
Its Good to Be King
Moebius
The Last Man
Continuum
Time
Twin Destinies

You might be right for the most part however in Window of Opportunity it wasn't really regular time travel. Every planet on a sub-network of the stargate system got reset daily while time in an absolute sense was still progressing and people outside that network were progressing at the normal rate. It wasn't well explained, and they definitely could do different events each day (hence the purpose of the episode, really, to do the Groundhog Day concept).

Some episodes very much involve changing timelines, and didn't feature closed loops per se. We are presented in Moebius with an alternate earth tformed by time travel, which then, through even more time travel, reverts to an "almost the same as before" timeline except with the benefit of a free Zero Point Module.

You might be right for the most part however in Window of Opportunity it wasn't really regular time travel. Every planet on a sub-network of the stargate system got reset daily while time in an absolute sense was still progressing and people outside that network were progressing at the normal rate. It wasn't well explained, and they definitely could do different events each day (hence the purpose of the episode, really, to do the Groundhog Day concept).

Some episodes very much involve changing timelines, and didn't feature closed loops per se. We are presented in Moebius with an alternate earth tformed by time travel, which then, through even more time travel, reverts to an "almost the same as before" timeline except with the benefit of a free Zero Point Module.

The closed loop was that SG-1 was always the cause of the rebellion against Ra.

Grizzlyjin

Ray rattled off a bunch of relevant time travel questions in this episode and the response was basically "shut up and just go with it." lol

I honestly don't think there are rules so much as suggestions. Because the show has contradicted itself on how time travel works and what you can and can't do. The whole "time hasn't cemented itself" thing is just a way for them to wiggle out of situations where the effect of a change in the past should have already impacted the future.

I'm fine with it, but I can't think of one aspect of time travel in this show that has been consistent.

The closed loop was that SG-1 was always the cause of the rebellion against Ra.

It's inconsistent, that aspect of it is closed loopey, but the ZPM from the alternate timeline being buried in the past was not present in the original timeline. They recover it before they were going to travel backwards in time (in timeline 3).

They do have defined rules, they're just making them as they go. It helps simplify things and doesn't force the viewer to dwell on situations too much. Probably makes it easier on the writers and fits with the kind of show they're gunning for.

Cannot alter events personally involved in...

...alter events personally involved in all the time.

...but say cannot do X because involved in personal event.

These rules are bullshit if cannot stick to them. This is also a shared universe with Flash, where we just got that bit of info about Zoom
killing Jay, a younger Zoom. Which was the entire dilemma of this episodes LoT, yet in Flash it's not an issue

iosefe

These rules are bullshit if cannot stick to them. This is also a shared universe with Flash, where we just got that bit of info about Zoom
killing Jay, a younger Zoom. Which was the entire dilemma of this episodes LoT, yet in Flash it's not an issue
I think an
earth 2 person dying on earth 1/in the timestream/in the speedforce
will be the loophole

Joni

Zoom must have replaced himself in the timeline

Apt101

Cannot alter events personally involved in...

...alter events personally involved in all the time.

...but say cannot do X because involved in personal event.

But they made up all new rules about how they could circumvent the previous circumstances and alter the events they were personally involved in. It was genius! All I'm saying is that they're at least throwing out explanations they can use later, whether to stick by them or to explain another work around. It keeps the story moving without the writers having to spend a lot of time on techno babble (and such). They're not trying to be clever. I realize it's dumb as shit but it's a CW show about super heroes, so I go with it.

Oh yea, in
Flash they introduced time remnants. Some really comic booky science thing that allowed him to do that. See?
Same thing going on across the street :D

Ithil

Please wait here, beloved fiancé from my past, I have to go outside and get engaged to my present time girlfriend and make out with her.

Joni

It could be awful depending on how they explain it. I'm listening to The TIme Machine now and it starts with a weird chapter explaining how the fourth dimension, time, works.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It could be awful depending on how they explain it. I'm listening to The TIme Machine now and it starts with a weird chapter explaining how the fourth dimension, time, works.

It's made by people who love Doctor Who, is it really that surprising that sometimes the rules of time travel change between scenes of the same episode?

ZeroX03

Banned
Unlike Arrow and Flash, I like these spoilers courtesy of TVLine!

PRE-FINALE:
Having had to "play defense" in recent weeks against the Hunters and the Pilgrim, the Legends will target the immortal Vandal Savage anew — and in the only way possible. "All that's really left for them to do is attack him at the height of his power," in the year 2166, says showrunner Phil Klemmer. On top of that, Rip & Co. will "have to reckon with the Time Masters," though Klemmer hints at "another shoe to drop" in that contentious relationship, saying: "Maybe the Time Masters aren't as unsullied as they made themselves out to be in the pilot…."

SEASON FINALE (MAY 19):
As the season closes, Klemmer says, "We will have to check in on" the world the Legends left behind in 2016 and meet a mystery hero (Suits' Patrick J. Adams) who presents "a fork in the road" — as well as "glimpse of the show to come, which is going to be a lot different" in Season 2. One clue to the interloper's identity: he wears a cape....

ALAN SCOTT WEARS A CAPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom