• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow S2 |OT| CW's Justice Society of Vancouver - Tuesdays 9/8c

That was amazing! We made it. It finally happened. It was damn good.

This episode wasn't the best, but it ended perfectly. Kara is my favorite. Her charm adds life to every single scene she's in. Mick is the exact same.

wamberz1

Just finished, first half was slow but it really picked up the pace to finish strong.
I really like that the dominators didn't end up just being evil aliens who want to wipe out earth because fuck earth. It was a pretty easy trap to fall into but making it the flashpoint/metas fault was far more interesting.
Also firestorm actually using his transmutation abilities was hype as fuck

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Best part of the episode was the closer. Everybody just relaxing, and then finishing it off with Barry and Oliver grabbing a beer. The new normal.

This was a lot like the Flash episode where there are some weird choices that took up time. Like the pseudo-Men in Black. Flashpoint or the future danger of metahumans is enough motivation for the Dominators to attack, so including the off the grid alien hunters subplot was a little odd. It basically gave us two undercooked villains instead of one strong one.

Kara being sidelined for most of the episode was disappointing, although I'm glad that she came back in force and then got some good lines and interactions during her last scene in the episode. I'm a little surprised she called them "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and went unchallenged. Haha

All the little references and jokes were great. And I'm glad the Legends actually did keep the spotlight for most of the episode. Sara and Heatwave are fun characters to bounce everybody off, so they got some great lines.

The horse has been beaten into bloody pulp, so I won't even say it. But this was a really enjoyable DC Comics celebration. For all the cheesy lines or rushed plotting, it put a smile on my face during every episode. Definitely excited to see more crossovers in the future.

Sephzilla

Bah whatever, impressions tonight!

146891.jpg

Cons:
-- Cisco
-- Supergirl's episode was completely unrelated
-- Arrow's episode felt light on the crossover stuff
-- The final battle didn't really feel that epic. Like, the Season 2 Arrow finale felt grander
-- Steel's costume is so bad
-- Wait, why are the Dominators here again?
-- The president getting murdered felt like it was super downplayed
-- The FBI sub plot felt really unnecessary, honestly

Pros:
-- Arrow's episode was an amazing emotional roller coaster
-- Supergirl and Flash interact so well
-- Supergirl and Flash fight each other so well
-- Mick is awesome
-- Dominators looked legit scary in close ups
-- The heroes interact so amazingly well together
-- Every episode managed to feel like both part of the crossover and a stand alone episode
-- Hall of mother fucking Justice!
-- Pretty great special effects all together
-- The crossover made really good use of basically the entire Arrowverse cast (sans Artemis)
-- Brandon Routh getting that Superman joke in

I actually think the crossover needed a proper 4th episode to flesh everything out a little more, especially with Arrow mostly being a standalone Arrow episode and Supergirl literally being a standalone episode. The final battle being all on one rooftop really killed the epic feel of the final battle in my opinion. It didn't feel like a true global threat. That said, the rooftop battle at the end was pretty damn fun. The Dominators reasoning for invading Earth kind of confused me - they eventually returned to Earth because they discovered metahumans (Steel and Cisco) and wanted to eradicate metahumans from Earth... but then why did Flash time traveling become the reason for returning? If Barry did surrender himself what would stop metahumans from still becoming a scourge on the galaxy? That didn't make sense.

I liked how each of the episodes still touched on the current themes going on in their stand alone shows. Flash was still dealing with Wally and (*groan*) Cisco. Arrow dealt with all of the emotional shit that Oliver and company have gone through. Legends dealt with Stein's side story. All of the characters interact with each other so amazingly well. Supergirl and Mick was the unexpected magic combo of the crossover. Overall I like how all of the shows pretty easily fit in together.

God damn that Arrow episode hit me in all the feels. I genuinely miss Laurel on the show and I feel like they killed her off at the worst time. Amell's acting in that episode, especially when saying goodbye to his parents, was pretty fantastic. Those tears seemed pretty legit to me, especially when in the next sequence with Thea you could still see Amell crying and fighting back tears. Dude probably went someplace deep to get those tears. I loved how the end of the Not-Matrix was the 5 Arrow characters basically doing a boss rush of villains. Too bad Manu wasn't dishing out smack talk as Deathstroke and also too bad that Ra's wasn't there as a foil to Sarah.

Cisco was the anti-MVP of the crossover. Pretty much every time he showed up on screen it was to be an asshole to Barry or make some snarky comment to someone else. I was constantly waiting for Oliver, Sarah, Barry, or Felicity to talk him down and put him in his place but it kept not happening. Cisco was basically running on contradictions and double-standards the entire time because he was constantly pissy with Barry for going back in time and altering the past while simultaneously wishing Barry could go back in time to save his brother and then hopping onto a fucking time machine in the end and suddenly letting his whole time travel issue fly out the window. It was satisfying to see Cisco take a big fat Barry Allen sized L at the end and realize how fucking impossible it was for Barry to realize what would happen with Flashpoint.

I was surprised at how central The Flash was to the crossover. Between being the appointed leader of the Not Justice League and Flashpoint being a pretty recurring element in the crossover, it seemed like all of Barry's issues kept being brought up even in the looming shadow of the Dominators.

Overall - I really liked this crossover. It wasn't perfect and it kind of felt like the stakes weren't as massive as they should have been. But everything was just so damn fun and that's exactly what we need from DC Comics superheroes right now. I give Invasion a solid 4 RoboCops out of 5.

Magwik

Banned
Regardless of the dominators, the crossover was fantastic just from the standpoint of character growth and interactions and fleshing out the world more.

Yes they finally gave ray that meta superman joke!

Overall we got two and a quater crossover episodes but 4 good individual show episodes and gave us that door for more supergirl appearances

ZeroX03

Banned
I was surprised at how central The Flash was to the crossover. Between being the appointed leader of the Not Justice League and Flashpoint being a pretty recurring element in the crossover, it seemed like all of Barry's issues kept being brought up even in the looming shadow of the Dominators.

And Barry was only leader because Oliver knew he needed a pick me up while he low key ran things.

Guggenheim fixed Cisco. Bless your heart.

He can be your devil and your angel.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Regardless of the dominators, the crossover was fantastic just from the standpoint of character growth and interactions and fleshing out the world more.

I was surprised by how many relevant plots got finished off during the crossover. Everyone forgiving Barry for Flashpoint being the biggest. But we also got two big ones with the reveal of Lily Stein, and what was on the message from Future Barry. Then you got the buckets of emotional catharsis in Arrow with Laurel coming back. Made this more substantive than I ever would have expected

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So why did the dominators went away, when 5 heroes won against like 300+ dominators in one city?

Or are you telling me that Dr Stein mass manufactured thousands or hundreds of devices and Supergirl and Flash went around the world and put them on every single dominator out there?

Did they only have one bomb and said "well, we're fucked" and left? What happens when they come back with 30 bombs?

It feels like the plot point of the whole thing ended with "and then the dominators left", because that's what happened.

Other than that, I liked most of it. Palmer's joke about "she looks like my cousin" got a genuine laugh out of me.

jb1234

I was expecting a lot more from this episode than I got. Kinda disappointing. It ended well but man, it was a slog getting there. It doesn't help I haven't seen a single episode of LoT. And in the end, the whole Dominator plot felt undercooked and anticlimatic. I guess they did the best with the budget they had but I never really felt the stakes were particularly high (despite characters claiming the opposite).

After all of this, if Barry decides to time travel again, I'm going to be super fucking pissed.

(I didn't buy Oliver's reason to bench Kara at all. The writers struggled to make it in character but he might as well have turned to the camera and said, "Sorry, we just don't have enough time in the schedule for Melissa Benoist to film more scenes.")

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to parse why the Dominators were there in the first place and this is what I have...

They arrive in 1951 to scout Earth for Metahumans because of the JSA, which Vixen deduces while they're in "jail".

So why do they show up again due to Barry? How would they even know Barry caused a Flashpoint? Barry's time travel shit affects the entire universe, not just Earth. They wouldn't even have noticed.

Have they also been keeping tabs on Earth for 60 years without us knowing? Did they say that?

Giving up Barry doesn't stop Meta's from rampaging across Earth. How does giving Barry up solve anything?

How did Stein and Caitlin create 1000's of those mini weapons in an hour?

How did Barry and Supergirl race across the entire Earth in like 2 minutes and apply them to every single Dominator? They're both not that fast as we can clearly see from their respective shows.

Sigh... These are not hard things to answer, kinda wondering what the writers were doing here. Still enjoyed the full week of shows though, they were really fun and I just love stuff like this.

Did they only have one bomb and said "well, we're fucked" and left? What happens when they come back with 30 bombs?

The Dominators probably have some kind of political structure to answer to. They probably went back and got this response:

"They turned out trillion dollar superweapon into drinking water? Okay. New strategy. Let's keep quiet and try to not piss of the humans."

Sephzilla

The reasons for why the Dominators returned to Earth and why they left were both pretty flimsy. How they left/retreated was sub-Avengers level.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sigh... These are not hard things to answer, kinda wondering what the writers were doing here. Still enjoyed the full week of shows though, they were really fun and I just love stuff like this.

They are hard to answer in 42 minutes of a very tough to film crossover. Explaining the small stuff is a luxury they didn't have.

Grizzlyjin

I think this is one of those issues that comes up when you try to make everyone useful. Like Felicity and Cisco shooting up the place with futuristic guns is ridiculous but otherwise they would have been useless for large swaths of the episode and then going into the past would be pointless.

I have no idea about the Dominators motivation. They threw a couple of things out there. The Barry stuff seemed like a thin justification to have everybody stands behind him. It was trying to imply that Cisco and the Legends were partially responsible because they saved that Alien? I think. Which got Cisco into forgiving Barry. But then they knew about Flashpoint. And apparently the government does too...it was pretty messy. But damn, Supergirl was cute at least.

Maybe next time they'll have more episodes. They sorta only covered ground in two and they were both rushed. If they could use all four shows time and not worry about singular show specific plots, we would be cooking with gasoline. But I don't know if that'll ever happen.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is one of those issues that comes up when you try to make everyone useful. Like Felicity and Cisco shooting up the place with futuristic guns is ridiculous but otherwise they would have been useless for large swaths of the episode and then going into the past would be pointless.

I have no idea about the Dominators motivation. They threw a couple of things out there. The Barry stuff seemed like a thin justification to have everybody stands behind him. It was trying to imply that Cisco and the Legends were partially responsible because they saved that Alien? I think. Which got Cisco into forgiving Barry. But then they knew about Flashpoint. And apparently the government does too...it was pretty messy. But damn, Supergirl was cute at least.

Maybe next time they'll have more episodes. They sorta only covered ground in two and they were both rushed. If they could use all four shows time and not worry about singular show specific plots, we would be cooking with gasoline. But I don't know if that'll ever happen.
Government knew Barry was the Flash because they made a deal with the Dominators that knew Barry was the Flash. So I don't see a plot hole there. And yes, I agree that their whole plot was to somehow get the group to forgive Barry. I realize they have a compressed schedule and they have to write these things quickly and cuts are made, so I'm not mad at them or anything. I just questioned a lot of this to see if I maybe missed something.

Grizzlyjin

I loved the Oliver Sarah moment. Excellent episode, and Barry Olliver at the end was pretty refreshing.

I almost forgot about that. Loved the hug and thumbs up from Diggle. That was the Season 2 Squad Goals right there.

Government knew Barry was the Flash because they made a deal with the Dominators that knew Barry was the Flash. So I don't see a plot hole there. And yes, I agree that their whole plot was to somehow get the group to forgive Barry. I realize they have a compressed schedule and they have to write these things quickly and cuts are made, so I'm not mad at them or anything. I just questioned a lot of this to see if I maybe missed something.

Not exactly a plot hole, but the implication of what Cisco was saying about how he caused this by just trying to help is a time paradox. They tried to have their cake and eat it too. Where they almost wanted to say that their Dominator penpal being released led to the invasion. But not quite. Plus, when did they become interested specifically in Barry? He was the first one to see them and they weren't at all interested. They raced past him. Was it after they searched Oliver & Company's minds? Because they had already attacked by then. Not a big deal, it was still fun. But the alien plot is nonsense stacked on nonsense. Even for sci-fi

Skux

It ended rather predictably but I'm really happy with the crossover as a whole. What a feat by the cast and crew to put this whole thing together.

To think it all started with a pilot episode about a guy who gets stranded on an island and comes back as a vigilante.

sturmdogg

Good solid first effort for a major crossover. Loved all of it, even the slow parts. Hopefully next time they go bigger and do better.

jobrro

Really enjoyed the whole event, though they probably shouldn't have advertised it as a 4 part event when the Supergirl part was included in Flash anyway and I think the voice over at the start of Legends even called it a 3 part event.

CG Supergirl looked pretty bad a few times through the crossover when I haven't really noticed it being that bad in Supergirl itself before. CG Roy also looked really bad in Arrow. I am usually happy with the CG quality in the Arrowverse shows and this is the first time it's really taken me out of the show.

Hopefully Cisco ain't overly salty any more (but spoilers for next weeks Flash description
it looks like he might become salty once more
). I can understand why he was angry for sure, but it still isn't fun to watch for me.

Also I don't really understand Vixen, maybe there are examples of me being wrong here that I haven't noticed but like she will channel an elephant but in the fights it still rarely looks like her hits land any harder than a regular human like Sara. Still I like her and Steel A LOT more than the hawks.

Thought Lily looked familiar and it turns out she played young Lolly on Orange is the New Black. Don't think I have seen any of her other work. Interested to see where her arc takes her and Martin.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed the whole event, though they probably shouldn't have advertised it as a 4 part event when the Supergirl part was included in Flash anyway and I think the voice over at the start of Legends even called it a 3 part event.

CG Supergirl looked pretty bad a few times through the crossover when I haven't really noticed it being that bad in Supergirl itself before. CG Roy also looked really bad in Arrow. I am usually happy with the CG quality in the Arrowverse shows and this is the first time it's really taken me out of the show.

Hopefully Cisco ain't overly salty any more (but spoilers for next weeks Flash description
it looks like he might become salty once more
). I can understand why he was angry for sure, but it still isn't fun to watch for me.

Also I don't really understand Vixen, maybe there are examples of me being wrong here that I haven't noticed but like she will channel an elephant but in the fights it still rarely looks like her hits land any harder than a regular human like Sara. Still I like her and Steel A LOT more than the hawks.

Thought Lily looked familiar and it turns out she played young Lolly on Orange is the New Black. Don't think I have seen any of her other work. Interested to see where her arc takes her and Martin.
HOOOOOLY SHIT!! I knew I've seen her somewhere!! Damn, her scenes in OITNB were crazy good. I thought she was Lori Petty's actual daughter or something.

Also, about Vixen, yeah, I notice the exact same thing. In fact, in tonight's episode when she channeled the elephant, I thought she was going to just run straight ahead and plow through all the aliens, sending them flying off the roof. Kinda sucks that they can't do much with her powers on the TV budget, as she never channels birds or water based animals, it's always a gorilla or rhino or elephant.

PS - Where is Mari at? Wouldn't she have liked to meet her grand mother? Also, they better explain how Mari's mother ends up Africa when Amaya is clearly American and living in the States.

Dalek

Great ending. The whole Dominator plot was silly and how they dispatched them was nonsense but who cares. What made this awesome was seeing everyone interact with each other. They could do this every year and make it great. Just pairing up random people with one another for their scenes is great-Like Cisco and Sara in the Waverider; Mick and Supergirl.

Firestorm finally flippin' transmuted something.

All I ever wanted. They need to do that more often.

Steel still looks like a dink.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Firestorm finally flippin' transmuted something.

All I ever wanted. They need to do that more often.

Steel still looks like a dink.

He transmuted a spacerock at the end of the first season.

But, yeah he should use that ability more often.

Top Bottom