• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Eh, I still don't whether to get this yet. I would jump in with both feet if they had given us a beautiful, completely open world to fight off zombies in.

I would also have preferred it to be more 'realistic' survival horror game, i.e. emphasis on the survival. And I'm put off by that god awful hud. So a few questions:

- Can you get rid of, minimise the hud?
- Any news of mods?
- How open is the open world?

DownWithTheShip said:

tumblr_ksfjlr14Kp1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

RetroMG

Anyone ever preorder from Target.com? I had a gift card so I pre-ordered from there and paid extra for delivery on the 6th. I'm wondering how reliable their estimate is, though.

(I usually prefer the brick & mortar thing, but I know Tuesday's going to be hell at work, so I don't want to make an extra stop.)

Drewfonse

Poker360 said:
This just in from IGN:

Dead Island review will be up 9AM PST on Sunday.

Hint: It doesn't suck.

I know this is a ridiculous question, but you are sure that it's AM, and not PM, right? I'd hate to check IGN at noon EST and not have a review to read. No offense, :)

AiTM

Banned
I need details on the coop!!!!

Im trying to hype my friend on this. I said "dude, its an open world RPG with zombies, it cant be bad."

He responded "dead rising 2"

I walked away quietly.

AiTM

Banned
sadromeo said:
Well, after getting the game:

IMG_0387.jpg

Is it safe to play online? Or will M$ possibly ban me for playing it early?

no reason to play online yet is there? And if you can, please give me some details on the coop! Drop in/drop out? Maintain stats from other players worlds?

sadromeo

I thought in one of the vids, the developer stated multi co-op was drop-in / drop-out. I am just not sure if stats keep and if it saves campaign status.

Dennis

Banned
Official Playstation Magazine - Italy: 8.5
In conclusion, the work done by the team turns out to be good, able to entertain fans of the FPS genre is that of RPGs. Although note the desire to create
an innovative game Techland and long-lived, are still some aspects in which he would have done more. We remain convinced that the title still manages to
carve a good niche in the market thanks to the interesting ideas that he proposes.

O.....K....

Drazgul

Bungieware said:
I would jump in with both feet if they had given us a beautiful, completely open world to fight off zombies in.

Whoa, wait what? It's not open-world now? Split into levels or what's the deal?

Twinduct

DennisK4 said:
O.....K....

Lol, I like this review, The magazine have set out to reach a certain goal, although I believe they reached this goal, I really think that they could improve on their method of reaching that goal.

Hey You

sadromeo said:
Well, after getting the game:

Is it safe to play online? Or will M$ possibly ban me for playing it early?
As long as its a legit retail copy, Microsoft will never ban people for getting it early. Feel free to be connected to XBL while playing.

I folded. For the price (PC) and opportunity to co-op with fresh players I didn't see any reason not too. Just hope it ends up being an enjoyable experience.

RetroGamer42 said:
Anyone ever preorder from Target.com? I had a gift card so I pre-ordered from there and paid extra for delivery on the 6th. I'm wondering how reliable their estimate is, though.

(I usually prefer the brick & mortar thing, but I know Tuesday's going to be hell at work, so I don't want to make an extra stop.)
Why nott just buy at best buy on Tuesday and return the copy you get in the mail from target back t best buy

a mixture of borderlands's menu.
idk what character i saw the other stream but it sounded L4Dish. and the characters and running and combat looks strangely fallout lol.

Ken said:
Do players keep their progression across games or is it stored with the host like in DS3?
Pretty sure (99.9%) your character save data stays with you, not sure about world/story progression though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really want to see some reviews on this. Im definitely interested.

Also Resistance 3. God damn i think there are 3 games coming out Tuesday that could be good.

~Kinggi~ said:
I really want to see some reviews on this. Im definitely interested.

Also Resistance 3. God damn i think there are 3 games coming out Tuesday that could be good.
I know, right. When it rains, it pours.

The M.O.B

I collected a few more tidbits from people who got it. And some are my own ovservations (props hellfire on di forums)

1. Coop exp is shared but the person that inflicted the most damage gets the most exp.

2. Whenever you pick some money up in coop, it is shared with your freinds but with the same amount, e.g: if you pick up 15 dollars, everyone gets 15 dollars

3. If you are lvl 13 and a lvl 15 joins, you might get lvl 14 zombies.

4. You get less exp when you run over zombies rather than getting out and fighting them. (like borderlands)

5. Zombies can and will try to pull you out of your vehicle

6. Ryder White's Campaign will be the first campaign DLC. Ryder White might be a new character you can choose.

7. Some people are reporting that the PS3 version has more graphical/framerate problems than 360/PC.

Concept17

What is the word on getting surrounded and running into large numbers of zombies? So far I've only seen a handful at a time at most. If I'm running around with 3 others, I don't want it to just be a slaughter fest because theres so few zombies around. I want to be forced into panic mode and have to go hide somewhere or find a corner or something.

Salsa

The M.O.B said:
I collected a few more tidbits from people who got it. And some are my own ovservations (props hellfire on di forums)

1. Coop exp is shared but the person that inflicted the most damage gets the most exp.

2. Whenever you pick some money up in coop, it is shared with your freinds but with the same amount, e.g: if you pick up 15 dollars, everyone gets 15 dollars

3. If you are lvl 13 and a lvl 15 joins, you might get lvl 14 zombies.

4. You get less exp when you run over zombies rather than getting out and fighting them. (like borderlands)

5. Zombies can and will try to pull you out of your vehicle

6. Ryder White's Campaign will be the first campaign DLC. Ryder White might be a new character you can choose.

7. Some people are reporting that the PS3 version has more graphical/framerate problems than 360/PC.

sounds good

wasnt really looking forward to a "LETS SEE WHO GETS TO THE MONEY FIRST" kinda game

Top Bottom