• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

The M.O.B

NervousXtian said:
So, I really want this game on console... but that $34 GMG price is tempting me something crazy.

It screams console to me, and I primarily game these types of games on console.. someone tell me what to do!

Whichever platform who have more friends on that will get this game, seems like it should be a decent co-op game.

Drewfonse

Anyone use the Kmart gaming coupons in the past? They are offering coupons for this, Resistance 3 and Space Marine, and I may buy all 3 as a result. I just signed up for the rewards program in order to become eligible for the promotion.

Is Kmart a reliable Day One store for games? Has anyone had problems finding people who know what the fuck they are talking about in the store, regarding the coupons? I would need to use my phone number to access my account in store, until my membership card arrives.

ArjanN

Gez said:
Just PC it, you get the Bloodbath DLC for free aswell.

Yeah, and the games doesn't scream console to me at all: the developer has more of a euro PC background and it's a firstperson game (so controls better with mouse and keyboard)

Drewfonse said:
Anyone use the Kmart gaming coupons in the past? They are offering coupons for this, Resistance 3 and Space Marine, and I may buy all 3 as a result. I just signed up for the rewards program in order to become eligible for the promotion.

Is Kmart a reliable Day One store for games? Has anyone had problems finding people who know what the fuck they are talking about in the store, regarding the coupons? I would need to use my phone number to access my account in store, until my membership card arrives.
Yes they are, you just have to wait a week to use the coupons.

Teknoman

les papillons sexuels said:
they should use dinosaurs instead of undead in this game... It'd be an awesome twist.

I'd play the hell out Dino Island. 4p co-op with vehicles & dino survival horror with somewhat intelligent, well animated enemies? Yes please.

legbone

hopefully dead island does well and we can get dino island as the sequel. i too would play the shit out of dino island.

Plissken

Didn't see that it was available to pre-load, thanks for pointing that out, loading now. Even more excited to hear that the PC isn't a port job.

Fjordson

NervousXtian said:
So, I really want this game on console... but that $34 GMG price is tempting me something crazy.

It screams console to me, and I primarily game these types of games on console.. someone tell me what to do!
Whichever platform you want it on. If you have any friends who'd be up for co-op, get it on the same platform as them.

Pezking

Soooo...will this game be worth it if I'm only interested in the single-player-campaign?

Or is it co-op heavy like "Borderlands" (which bored me to death, even online)?

Is the story anything to write home about?

Xanathus

Pezking said:
Soooo...will this game be worth it if I'm only interested in the single-player-campaign?

Or is it co-op heavy like "Borderlands" (which bored me to death, even online)?

Is the story anything to write home about?
I wouldn't go in expecting a better story than whatever was in Borderlands. The game appears to focus more on game play than a deep story.

Card Boy

Banned
From the GMG Facebook page

It's looking good for getting the Dead Island keys out for pre-load over the weekend. For those asking, we do NOT sell or provide the 'Ripper' weapon with our copy of the game, but we DO provide the DLC. /Rob

Yamibito

Interfectum said:
i would order right now but i really need to hear some more impressions before taking the plunge.
I listened to the podtoid last night and they seemed to really enjoy it at the very least.

MjFrancis

I would have actually preferred to play this with a mouse and keyboard on the PC, but since I had friends who committed to pick it up on the Xbox 360 I preordered on that platform. The difference shouldn't be unbearable or anything like that. If it's really that good, I could pick it up on a Steam sale this December for under $20 or so. Next July for less than $10. It never feels like double dipping when the price drops that low. :p

nice to see the game at #7 on amazon bestsellers, and #6 is a points card

I was sold on the game before "That" trailer, but I think it created a lot of buzz and hopefully this game does well.

Thought I could hold off on buying games for another month or two but just caved and pre ordered (PS3) on Amazon. This game is looking great. Will only cancel order if reviews reveal some unforeseen major issue. Otherwise, this game looks to be a lot of fun. Most importantly co-op! Having recently played Borderlands, the joys of co-op are really starting to become apparent to me.

I hope this gets solid 84-87 reviews.

Edit: Oh shit, just saw that it has drop in/drop out and single player content on the co-op. sounds just like Borderlands. Fuck yeah! Also new game + This game could be brilliant.

CaLe

Why the hell is GMG saying that the game will be available for download on the 9th ?

Isn't the game released on the 6th ?

Gritesh

Someone that is picking this up on steam and wants to do some coop please pm me i have like no steam buddies and it would be nice to play this coop with some people.

legbone

CaLe said:
Why the hell is GMG saying that the game will be available for download on the 9th ?

the 9th is the eu release date. where is gmg located?

So if I wanted to take the risk and get this off of GMG tonight are the codes still working to get it at 34? I haven't really followed the game much but id be willing to take the plunge for that price...

Xanathus

It's 6th in the US, 9th everywhere else. Your unlock date will be based on where you activate Steam from.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So if I wanted to take the risk and get this off of GMG tonight are the codes still working to get it at 34? I haven't really followed the game much but id be willing to take the plunge for that price...
Use READY-UPDEA-ISLAN , works until 9th. If you're also creating a new GMG account, PM me for a referral link to get $5 credit with your first purchase as well.

legbone said:
the 9th is the eu release date. where is gmg located?
GMG is in the UK but it doesn't matter. I put the code into Steam and pre-loaded and it says September 6th unlock.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
yeah

tjohn86

If I ordered from GMG do I get any preorder DLC?

Edit: oops i need to get my eyes checked:

Pre-purchase Dead Island from Green Man Gaming and you will receive the Bloodbath Arena DLC for free when it becomes available (scheduled for release one month after the game's release).

Blood Bath DLC Features:

4 deadly and hazardous Arenas with endless waves of zombies

Play in single or co-op multiplayer!

Loot XP and items and bring them over into your campaign

Leaderboard to challenge your friends

New gruesome weapon: Sonic Pulse Grenade

Weenerz

Banned
CaLe said:

I think it will release on the 6th, when I registered the key with Steam, it said it was from NA.

Weenerz said:
I think it will release on the 6th, when I registered the key with Steam, it said it was from NA.
you just got an NA key. hopefully it won't affect people in other region lol.

it said Dead Island (NA/ROW) when you register.

abracadaver

When the game was announced they said they would have very detailed gore. With different layers of skin, flesh bones and whatnot. Is that still in the game ? From the videos Ive seen the gore looks pretty bad for a zombie game.

I still dont know if I should get this game

Top Bottom