• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Shurs

sadromeo said:
Yes, completely legit.

I am going to start single player offline I guess until Tuesday (or Monday @ midnight)

Feel free to play it online.

You won't get banned.

Review copies are out there right now.

Microsoft has no way of knowing that your copy isn't one sent out from the publisher to someone reviewing the game.

Shurs said:
Feel free to play it online.

You won't get banned.

Review copies are out there right now.

Microsoft has no way of knowing that your copy isn't one sent out from the publisher to someone reviewing the game.
Yeah they don't punish people for playing games before release date (with the exception of pirated games, obviously.)

Phloxy

Bout and hour into the 360 version, and the tearing is pretty much non existant especially compared to some of the PS3 footage. What is weird is that the first intro of the game has a shit ton of screen tearing, to the point where I was like omg why'd I get this, but the actual game itself, it's not anywhere to be seen. Really weird but hey, thats a good thing in my book.

Teknoman

Zombies can and will try to pull you out of your vehicle

I was hoping something like this would be in game. Cant wait for the PC review now.

Can you guys comment on the soundtrack? Fitting music, just ambient stuff, or nearly non-existent?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I can tell you that this has replaced Deus Ex as "the game" around the IGN offices, this week. It's what we're playing, what we're talking about, etc.

But... I can also tell you that it's going to be divisive. This is an RPG, through-and-through. Even after folks know that, I'm still not sure they fully understand what they're getting into. As an RPG, combat is a bit clunky, etc. But the game makes up for this in other ways.

GDJustin said:
I can tell you that this has replaced Deus Ex as "the game" around the IGN offices, this week. It's what we're playing, what we're talking about, etc.

But... I can also tell you that it's going to be divisive. This is an RPG, through-and-through. Even after folks know that, I'm still not sure they fully understand what they're getting into. As an RPG, combat is a bit clunky, etc. But the game makes up for this in other ways.

Worth getting if you enjoyed Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion?

Teknoman

Looking at the videos, the combat seems better than those games (the enemies seem to have weight to them, impacts seem strong, and they seem pretty aggressive) so that might put them ahead.

Not to mention if it replaced Deus Ex...damn.

sadromeo

After playing an hour or so...

I chose single player and it prompts you if you are "near" another player if you want join them. Something similar to Demon Souls-ish?

Also, combat is solid. Kind of a mix between fallout/oblivion meets condemned but with better weight to hits. It's kind of "fast" paced but still satisfying.

Graphics are nothing short of amazing except the faces are "kind" of weird. Like something way better than Oblivion/Fallout 3 but not as good as Skyrim.

Nice skill trees. Have three to choose from with mix and match.

Have not tried co-op yet but during the load screens, it mentioned that the game autosaves whenever a player quits or when the co-op session is over.

Quests are trackable.

There are achievements and challenges. The challenges are similar to Borderlands / Fallout: NV, like kill x amount of zombies with a bladed weapon etc....

Also, seem to spend a lot of time looting suitcases and backpacks for some reason.

Ken

All these good impressions of it makes it hard to not preorder on Steam right now. *hugs wallet*

sadromeo

I have it pre-loaded over Steam too.

Hoping to God the developers make the PC version moddable.

I can only imagine the things people could come up with for this game.

I mean, look at all the things available for Oblivion/Fallout 3/NV.

Can vehicles be shared in coop?

uaXMh.jpg

Please tell me you can do this.

Pezking said:
To those who already got the game: Is it fun playing offline?
Can you imagine playing through the game alone?

My friends either stopped playing games or are too poor to afford new games...

Would like to know if its single player friendly as well

MRORANGE

The M.O.B said:
I collected a few more tidbits from people who got it. And some are my own ovservations (props hellfire on di forums)

1. Coop exp is shared but the person that inflicted the most damage gets the most exp.

2. Whenever you pick some money up in coop, it is shared with your freinds but with the same amount, e.g: if you pick up 15 dollars, everyone gets 15 dollars

3. If you are lvl 13 and a lvl 15 joins, you might get lvl 14 zombies.

4. You get less exp when you run over zombies rather than getting out and fighting them. (like borderlands)

5. Zombies can and will try to pull you out of your vehicle

6. Ryder White's Campaign will be the first campaign DLC. Ryder White might be a new character you can choose.

7. Some people are reporting that the PS3 version has more graphical/framerate problems than 360/PC.

ah cool, will add to OP

Pre-ordered the PS3 version, just waiting for tuesday morning to arrive.* I'm on vacation so I'm going to have plenty of time to fool around with DI. Can't wait.

And for people wondering about the open world thng, or lack thereof, from what I understand it's more along the lines of Borderlands, with zones. Sounds fine to me.

*Totally forgot GS was having a midnight launch for this and Resistance 3 monday night. I'll definitely be there.

Abandone

Neo Member
I am sitting here not enjoying Deus Ex because of my anticipation for Dead Island. Why couldn't it have come out before the rare 3 day weekend?

:(

GenericUser

i heard that its supposed to have a heavy focus on melee action. Thats the only thing, that keeps me from buying. I want to shoot zombies (preferably with a big heavy rocket launcher) not pierce them with an umbrella. Especially not from a first person perspective.

Vormund

Teknoman said:
Zombies can and will try to pull you out of your vehicle

I was hoping something like this would be in game. Cant wait for the PC review now.

Awesome. Neat touch and increases the feeling of being surrounded. :D

*off to preorder on Steam*

TP17

Will probably end up getting this at some point. I remember the demo of Dead Rising selling that game for me but then not really getting into the main game as the Main Character running style/speed tilted me after a while - any word on if they will release a demo for this? Will check out some let's plays/opinions on YouTube and here after release which will probably determine how soon I purchase it.

sadromeo said:
After playing an hour or so...

I chose single player and it prompts you if you are "near" another player if you want join them. Something similar to Demon Souls-ish?
Can someone confirm this or elaborate more? Holy crap this sounds awesome

derFeef

I am not quite sure how the coop works with the 4 characters as they seem to be together in story cutscenes. I guess it's like L4D where there is only one character per seesion available. But this will make it kinda weird for drop-in drop-out as you would need to plan accordingly, especially with your friends.

MRORANGE

sponk said:
i heard that its supposed to have a heavy focus on melee action. Thats the only thing, that keeps me from buying. I want to shoot zombies (preferably with a big heavy rocket launcher) not pierce them with an umbrella. Especially not from a first person perspective.

This game is probably not for, although you do get guns later on, but there in small supplies.

Heavy said:
Yeah the game is out in a couple days, why watch streams now and ruin even minor moments...just wait a few days

I watched #24 muted because I wanted to see how varied the environments were.

Heavy said:
Looks like this is shaping up to be a good one. Is anyone making a PC/360/PS3 meetup thread? Would love to play some pc co-op
Yes i hope someone makes a pc meet up thread. Would love to coop! I'm a bit excited now to hear it's very much an RPG. I don't mind jank if it comes down to that, could do without another tropical setting but zombies in paradise is a cool concept. Hoping it has more survival elements to it than made apparent... If the combat feels close to dark Messiah ill be happy as fuck with the purchase.

LProtag

So do we know yet if everyone gets the same quest progress when you're playing co-op? Like if you do some quests with friends and then both go play offline do you both have those quests completed in your offline game?

ironcreed

Banned
oldschoolpinball said:
Gamefly shipped my copy out today

I just sent a game back yesterday in order to time it getting sent out to me on Tuesday (Monday being Labor Day and all), but noticed this morning that they have indeed already started shipping them out. Oh well, I will get it eventually. Have fun.

Gritesh

Bought this game from GMG, ended up being 33 dollars!

Hard to pass that up!

Looking forward to some co-op GAF fun!

Mulligan

Banned
I really hope the game does well, there's a lot of potential for a great series. I'm kind of disappointed they went for an arcade-like feel rather than tense and atmospheric focusing on survival with elements of horror, but hopefully they could address this with a sequel.

RS4-

Ugh, was playing this on PS3. Got motion sickness lol. Only did the first mission, so let's say 20 mins in?

Slight auto aim for headshots using melee, so I'm not sure how or if it effects throwing and guns. Feels good bashing in heads though.

angelfly

Mulligan said:
I really hope the game does well, there's a lot of potential for a great series. I'm kind of disappointed they went for an arcade-like feel rather than tense and atmospheric focusing on survival with elements of horror, but hopefully they could address this with a sequel.
A demo would have helped.

Top Bottom