• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

How is the story handled? The OP mentions open world (like Crysis 1, Fallout NV) or is it linear, but open hubs (like Dues EX). I'm kind of interested in the game, it's just that I can't exactly figure out what it is.

I'm kind of interested in the game, but at the same time I feel like I'm in a bit of a void for understanding how the game works. Is there a good video or preview that explains it (isn't the first 20 minutes one a lot of loading?)?

I remember when this game (a long time ago) was supposed to be based on Fulci (in the DXHR is based on GitS sense), and I'm still surprised it didn't wind up canned. I'm sort of interested in a Zombie game that is "reality" based in the sense it's not a (though well done) parody like the Dead Rising games. I have to admit I'm a bit turned off by the L4D special zombie types, but I realize you need to have diverse enemies.

EDIT: Missed the sidequesting video, so I'll check that out. I am trying to not spoil anything though.

Okay after watching a dude punch a zombie and chuck a crowbar, I'm kind of interested. I just hope the story has depth to it and isn't just like say a Brink or even Borderlands (barely that or stretched thin despite the potential).

I wish there were some reviews so I had some idea of how good this is going to be. I'm not sure whether to buy this, Resistance 3, or neither.

KorrZ

Hopefully we get some good reviews rolling in Monday. I'm interested in this game but definitely not convinced enough to pull the trigger without seeing some reviews/impressions first.

Meh, this sort of bugs me.

During another interview, Kummer also mentioned the team's original idea of creating a more player-driven story, with more choices like in Fallout. Ultimately, the developers cut out some of the more story-based decisions in favor of a more linear experience in order to accommodate co-op.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17286-dead-island-will-not-have-ai-companions-or-friendly-fire/
I feel like that's setting things up for a Borderlands type story.

theDeeDubs

The game is looking pretty good, but I'm having trouble stomaching the voice actors for the main characters. The Texan sounds like the VA of Duke Nukem attempting a southern accent, and it's just terrible.

So am I wrong in thinking this is Borderlands, but on an Earth Island with Zombies?

If so, I think my expectations have dipped a bit (I like Borderlands), but I was hoping for story and character development and not just gameplay and a smattering of story and character development. Does anyone get what I'm saying?

Artadius

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So am I wrong in thinking this is Borderlands, but on an Earth Island with Zombies?

If so, I think my expectations have dipped a bit (I like Borderlands), but I was hoping for story and character development and not just gameplay and a smattering of story and character development. Does anyone get what I'm saying?

I get a huge Borderlands vibe from this. But unlike you, I think this is great. While it's sad we have not really gotten a good zombie game with an excellent narrative yet, this game sets itself apart enough from other zombie games and introduces features that the genre hasn't really had much of either, so I'm ok with that.

Yeah, if this turns out anything like Borderlands I'll be incredibly happy. But it sucks for people who were wanting something else.

I don't get a Borderlands vibe from it though. I keep thinking of it as Left 4 Dead with RPG elements thrown in.

From what I've read and seen of the game I think it's going to be a bit deeper than Borderlands in terms of RPG elements. Also, you supposedly don't get much ammo and are almost like a scavenger so it's more realistic in that regard.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't mind Borderlands at all. And I was never really that interested in Fallout story stuff, so the fact that they took out some of that is OK too.

Stitch

Gold Member
abracadaver said:
When the game was announced they said they would have very detailed gore. With different layers of skin, flesh bones and whatnot. Is that still in the game ? From the videos Ive seen the gore looks pretty bad for a zombie game.
It's still in the game but downgraded :( Maybe it's better on PC... You can still break their bones and cut of limbs.

Sounds fine, though gameplay looks more open than Borderlands. As for story, well can't really remember a single good zombie related game story ever. I never went into this game expecting much story at all other than kill zombies and survive

Drewfonse

Teamxbox.com will have their review up at 12am Monday morning, and I'll bet that we will see a lot of reviews posted at that time.

Artadius said:
I get a huge Borderlands vibe from this. But unlike you, I think this is great. While it's sad we have not really gotten a good zombie game with an excellent narrative yet, this game sets itself apart enough from other zombie games and introduces features that the genre hasn't really had much of either, so I'm ok with that.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay of Borderlands, a ton actually, and it's been fun playing it. I just wish it had more story, but the gameplay could easily win me over. I just don't know, and I'm afraid of buying it, even with the GMG price, without knowing some more.

What does the game add as opposed to other Zombie games? I'm not saying that to be accusatory, I just haven't been following the game that much.

Interfectum

Yamibito said:
I listened to the podtoid last night and they seemed to really enjoy it at the very least.

How far in to the Jim "Be as offensive as possible but it's funny because of my accent" Sterling Show do I have to listen for any game impressions? So far it's been like 30 minutes of PAX talk.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love the gameplay of Borderlands, a ton actually, and it's been fun playing it. I just wish it had more story, but the gameplay could easily win me over. I just don't know, and I'm afraid of buying it, even with the GMG price, without knowing some more.

What does the game add as opposed to other Zombie games? I'm not saying that to be accusatory, I just haven't been following the game that much.
The combat is more realistic. Ammo is rare and you're forced to use random stuff you pick up. And the open world + fairly deep RPG elements (skill trees, customization, and so on).

chubigans said:
I don't mind Borderlands at all. And I was never really that interested in Fallout story stuff, so the fact that they took out some of that is OK too.
It doesn't have to be like Fallout, I just want some story, or at least some descent immersion in the game (hell it could be finding peoples passports, laptops, phones, etc for info or just flavor).

Heavy said:
From what I've read and seen of the game I think it's going to be a bit deeper than Borderlands in terms of RPG elements. Also, you supposedly don't get much ammo and are almost like a scavenger so it's more realistic in that regard.
Now that does interest me (well as long as the Ammo isn't like in Invisible War lol).

BattleMonkey said:
Sounds fine, though gameplay looks more open than Borderlands. As for story, well can't really remember a single good zombie related game story ever. I never went into this game expecting much story at all other than kill zombies and survive

It doesn't have to be deep, but I just want their to be something (heck if it's Borderland levels I'll be okay with it). For example I like all the docs you can find in GOW. I guess it doesn't even have to be story as much as immersion. Does that make anymore sense? lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
The lack of firearms in this game concerns me. Melee is cool and all, but how long before it becomes a chore?

Chiggs said:
The lack of firearms in this game concerns excites me.

My take on that. I have laid waste to zombies with an armorment of firearms ad nauseum. I want strategy and for each encounter to feel high risk.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gutterboy44 said:
My take on that. I have laid waste to zombies with an armorment of firearms ad nauseum. I want strategy and for each encounter to feel high risk.
Absolutely agree. Worked for Dead Rising, I'm sure it'll work for this game too.

Enco

Drewfonse said:
Teamxbox.com will have their review up at 12am Monday morning, and I'll bet that we will see a lot of reviews posted at that time.
If I was in the US with the early release, that would mean no buy.

Offer from GMG would have ended by the time I read the reviews.

gutterboy44 said:
Yeah. Tell me Condemned style melee fighting in an open world filled with zombies, and I'm wondering what could possibly go wrong (I guess I'll find out, or not, next week.)

Not sure what to do yet, just got home from work. Going to watch some media. Any particluar videos that swayed people in my position?

KageMaru

LastWindow said:
I don't get a Borderlands vibe from it though. I keep thinking of it as Left 4 Dead with RPG elements thrown in.

4 player co-op open world game, broken down into zones that allows you to do random quests for people. Sounds pretty close to Borderlands to me =p

Can't wait for this game, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Twinduct

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not sure what to do yet, just got home from work. Going to watch some media. Any particluar videos that swayed people in my position?

Well I was semi-interested and was gonna wait until a decent sale. But the qore video posted earlier kinda pushed me over to get it on release day.

Granted I got it from GMG for 33 usd :p

gutterboy44 said:
Thought I could hold off on buying games for another month or two but just caved and pre ordered (PS3) on Amazon. This game is looking great. Will only cancel order if reviews reveal some unforeseen major issue. Otherwise, this game looks to be a lot of fun. Most importantly co-op! Having recently played Borderlands, the joys of co-op are really starting to become apparent to me.

I hope this gets solid 84-87 reviews.

Edit: Oh shit, just saw that it has drop in/drop out and single player content on the co-op. sounds just like Borderlands. Fuck yeah! Also new game + This game could be brilliant.

I'm trying my hardest to hold off on getting it from Amazon. The only thing that is really stopping me is since it's labor day they are going to ship all the games off tomorrow and if you don't get the order canceled by like 6am you have no shot of canceling it at all. I just wish they got rid of these review embargoes and I've been burned with a few of the releases earlier in the year when they literally dropped in price a week later.

Twinduct said:
Well I was semi-interested and was gonna wait until a decent sale. But the qore video posted earlier kinda pushed me over to get it on release day.

Granted I got it from GMG for 33 usd :p

That's the route I'd take...I feel like I wont' have much time to get into it so I'd be better off just waiting. Still not sure!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
i tried to redeem dead island from GMG on my steam account and it says "game not available in your country" (im in the U.S.)

Do i need to email them?

Card Boy

Banned
Painraze said:
i tried to redeem dead island from GMG on my steam account and it says "game not available in your country" (im in the U.S.)

Do i need to email them?

Yes, but it may take acouple days since its the weekend over in the UK.

GrayFoxPL

/Waves Polish zombie flag

I'm thinking of getting this, just wondering if it has that survival horror vibe or is it just an easy slasher.

I'd never heard of this game until yesterday, it came up on my Amazon recommended list. I watched the vid a pre-ordered immediately, it looks stunning.

Top Bottom