• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Shurs

Great. The typical Shurs Hype Cycle has started for this game.

One month before launch - I tell myself that, while the game looks interesting, I don't need it and won't have time to play it. I'll wait for a price drop.

One week before launch - With a $20 gaming coupon for Kmart (and knowing that if I buy the game in its first week, I'll get another $20 gaming coupon, essentially getting the game for $40) I start to think that maybe I should get the game.

Day one - I buy the game, play it for an hour or two.

Five months from now - The game still sits on the shelf, untouched since the first day I got it.

I need to have some self control.

Xanathus

Now that the game's release date has been broken, are there any transcriptions of the skill trees available? Only Logan's is easily found.

DrBo42

Shurs said:
Great. The typical Shurs Hype Cycle has started for this game.

One month before launch - I tell myself that, while the game looks interesting, I don't need it and won't have time to play it. I'll wait for a price drop.

One week before launch - With a $20 gaming coupon for Kmart (and knowing that if I buy the game in its first week, I'll get another $20 gaming coupon, essentially getting the game for $40) I start to think that maybe I should get the game.

Day one - I buy the game, play it for an hour or two.

Five months from now - The game still sits on the shelf, untouched since the first day I got it.

I need to have some self control.

I know this cycle all too well. Ashamed that it happened for me with The Witcher 2. Just cannot find any reason to play that game.

Teknoman

sadromeo said:
After playing an hour or so...

I chose single player and it prompts you if you are "near" another player if you want join them. Something similar to Demon Souls-ish?

Also, combat is solid. Kind of a mix between fallout/oblivion meets condemned but with better weight to hits. It's kind of "fast" paced but still satisfying.

Graphics are nothing short of amazing except the faces are "kind" of weird. Like something way better than Oblivion/Fallout 3 but not as good as Skyrim.

Nice skill trees. Have three to choose from with mix and match.

Have not tried co-op yet but during the load screens, it mentioned that the game autosaves whenever a player quits or when the co-op session is over.

Quests are trackable.

There are achievements and challenges. The challenges are similar to Borderlands / Fallout: NV, like kill x amount of zombies with a bladed weapon etc....

Also, seem to spend a lot of time looting suitcases and backpacks for some reason.

Man PC version of this should be crazy. Since the game is supposed to use Steamworks, it should be pretty easy to jump in right?

timkunedo

sadromeo said:
After playing an hour or so...

I chose single player and it prompts you if you are "near" another player if you want join them. Something similar to Demon Souls-ish?

Also, combat is solid. Kind of a mix between fallout/oblivion meets condemned but with better weight to hits. It's kind of "fast" paced but still satisfying.

Graphics are nothing short of amazing except the faces are "kind" of weird. Like something way better than Oblivion/Fallout 3 but not as good as Skyrim.

Nice skill trees. Have three to choose from with mix and match.

Have not tried co-op yet but during the load screens, it mentioned that the game autosaves whenever a player quits or when the co-op session is over.

Quests are trackable.

There are achievements and challenges. The challenges are similar to Borderlands / Fallout: NV, like kill x amount of zombies with a bladed weapon etc....

Also, seem to spend a lot of time looting suitcases and backpacks for some reason.

This makes me happy! :) Can't wait til it unlocks on steam.

Einbroch

Banned
ironcreed said:
I just sent a game back yesterday in order to time it getting sent out to me on Tuesday (Monday being Labor Day and all), but noticed this morning that they have indeed already started shipping them out. Oh well, I will get it eventually. Have fun.
I did the EXACT same thing.

Dammit. Oh well.

RS4-

Ugh I think I'm done with this game. Getting motion sickness from the whole camera shifting when you do melee attacks or get hit.

Wow, looks really cool. But yeah, too much to play at the moment unfortunately. Maybe a demo would have forced me to buy it.

sadromeo

I've been playing single player and it is fantastic. Even playing in single player, you always have the opportunity to jump into a multi-coop game since it prompts you if you want to join another player's game if they are "near" by. You don't have to and keep playing along your game or jump into theirs.

The atmosphere is amazing.

derFeef

sadromeo said:
I've been playing single player and it is fantastic. Even playing in single player, you always have the opportunity to jump into a multi-coop game since it prompts you if you want to join another player's game if they are "near" by. You don't have to and keep playing along your game or jump into theirs.

The atmosphere is amazing.
Cool. How is the story progression handled with this drop-in drop-out system?

VASPER

Banned
xbw2a.jpg

Let yall know how it is when i get home tonight.

The M.O.B

derFeef said:
Cool. How is the story progression handled with this drop-in drop-out system?
Only the host has his story progress saved, the people who joined him won't have their own single player story progress.

But I believe you still keep your money, exp and weapons.

So story progression is the only thing that reverts back to where you left off, u keep everything else.

derFeef

The M.O.B said:
Only the host has his story progress saved, the people who joined him won't have their own single player story progress.

So story progression is the only thing that reverts back to where you left off, u keep everything else.
Ah, sounds good to me. Do you know if I can join someone who plays the same character? This is crucial for me and friends.

The M.O.B

derFeef said:
Ah, sounds good to me. Do you know if I can join someone who plays the same character? This is crucial for me and friends.
Yes you can have any number of the same character playing co-op.

DryvBy

The M.O.B said:

This is why I didn't even bother with Dungeon Siege 3.

Anyone know the details of the RPG and if it's open like Far Cry 2? I'm hoping for some sandbox and lots of stuff to do.

VASPER

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Sticker makes it look like it was being sold out of a trunk. LOL

Second person to say that, but yes i work at a small game store and we hand write everything:)

DryvBy2 said:
This is why I didn't even bother with Dungeon Siege 3.

Anyone know the details of the RPG and if it's open like Far Cry 2? I'm hoping for some sandbox and lots of stuff to do.
Someone was saying it was more like Borderlands (fairly large areas interconnected). Not like one big huge giant map.

these good words being said about early copies makes me want to jump on GMG pre-order again...I thought I had resisted!

I've been craving a good zombie game/movie lately too...

Teknoman

weekendCONFIRMED said:
these good words being said about early copies makes me want to jump on GMG pre-order again...I thought I had resisted!

I've been craving a good zombie game/movie lately too...

Same here.

So has it been said how the coop works? I know it's drop in/out but are we confined to a certain area, free to roam the island? Any idea?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So has it been said how the coop works? I know it's drop in/out but are we confined to a certain area, free to roam the island? Any idea?
You should be able to play through the entire campaign with up to 4 people. Does that answer your question?

DrBo42

Ugh. These guys really should have partnered up with OnLive. Test driving this game will most definitely result in more sales.

Teknoman

DrBo42 said:
Ugh. These guys really should have partnered up with OnLive. Test driving this game will most definitely result in more sales.

Yeah, i'm this close to buying it. I mean an open world zombie co-op rpg with a focus on cracking zombies with melee weapons? I'm just worried about the netcode and performance for the PC version / whether there will be a decent amount of people to survive with.

Actually, from what i understand this is coming to Onlive. It just wont be day and date with the other versions sadly. Someone on their forums posted an email confirming this. I'm in the same boat as you guys, wondering if I have what it takes to wait for the Onlive version to at least try.

sadromeo

Although weapons do break, you can carry quite a few from the start of the game. However, you only start off with two available to switch back and forth to. There are more slots but they must be unlocked ( a la Dead Rising ).

sadromeo

Two types of fighting controls. Analog and Digital.

Digital is your basic button smash.

Analog is where the right thumb stick basically becomes your attacking "arm". For example to swing from left to right, you pull the stick left and push it right.

sadromeo said:
Two types of fighting controls. Analog and Digital.

Digital is your basic button smash.

Analog is where the right thumb stick basically becomes your attacking "arm". For example to swing from left to right, you pull the stick left and push it right.

How would that work on the PC version? oO

derFeef said:
With the mouse?

And what controls the camera?

DMPrince said:
use a 360 controller? lulz. that's your pc support right there. i bet it's not kb/m friendly.
I'd rather go with digital only. There's no way I'm playing an FPS with a controller if I can play it with a mouse.

Darklord

Banned
sadromeo said:

That sounds kinda shit to be honest. I've never liked that kind of control because an analog stick has no where near the feel of power or the omph an arm smashing something does.

sadromeo

Analog is actually more fun. As you begin to fight, you point you aiming reticule on any part of the zombie's body, it turns red, then you pull the left trigger to go into combat mode, then you start flailing away with the right analog stick.

Yamibito

sadromeo said:
Analog is actually more fun. As you begin to fight, you point you aiming reticule on any part of the zombie's body, it turns red, then you pull the left trigger to go into combat mode, then you start flailing away with the right analog stick.
1BJP

Neuromancer said:
You should be able to play through the entire campaign with up to 4 people. Does that answer your question?
Sort of. I'm more asking if people are confined to a certain area of the open world map when playing coop?

Top Bottom