• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Wallach said:
I was going to finish this game, but then I didn't. I think it's too late now.

Needs moar Bozar. You and Snuggles should bash it out one night. If you race through the main stuff in the last couple of acts you should be able to get it done in one sitting.

That said, as someone who loved the game, I have to admit that you won't really be seeing or doing anything all that different than you were for the rest of the game during those acts.

bathala

Banned
Finally finished the game co-op from start to finished.
Game is buggy.
At the last stage, i just ran and ignored most of the zombies.

Dead Island 2: Delivery service.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
I was going to finish this game, but then I didn't. I think it's too late now.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was fun, but after making it through the City, I feel like I've done it all and the remaining 12-20 hours will probably just be more of the same. I can't say I'm very motivated to push through to the end.

I still want to finish it, but with Dark Souls out on tuesday and the total clusterfuck of new releases that will follow, I won't have time to grind it out. Oh well, maybe I'll pick it up when things slow down.

Sethos

Banned
Bought a key today and my friend might get one too.

So there's been a lot of graphical, FOV and other tweaks but I missed most of them - What's recommended to use? The graphical settings from the above YT video and what else?

Patryn

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. It was fun, but after making it through the City, I feel like I've done it all and the remaining 12-20 hours will probably just be more of the same. I can't say I'm very motivated to push through to the end.

I still want to finish it, but with Dark Souls out on tuesday and the total clusterfuck of new releases that will follow, I won't have time to grind it out. Oh well, maybe I'll pick it up when things slow down.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I think Dark Souls is going to end my Dead Island journey.

I had a lot of fun, I clocked nearly 25 hours, but at this point I feel like I'm doing the same thing I'm always doing, and without the open areas that the Resort had, and no longer having the same sense of dread that I originally had in the City (doesn't help that I've pretty much memorized exactly where zombies appear along all my common paths), I'm getting a little bored.

The funny thing is that I didn't even really mind the sewers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LastWindow said:
Yeah, Kevin is Charon.

While I do wish there was more to the story, especially something on how those special enemies became the way they are, I've honestly never really cared a whole lot on what's going on in zombies stories. The survival has always been the most important aspect to me.

Having decent characters and set up is important in the best zombie stories. The only interesting thing in the whole game was finding those recordings. Doesnt help that the Va and animations sucked, which would have killed any good dialogue anyways.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Patryn said:
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I think Dark Souls is going to end my Dead Island journey.

I had a lot of fun, I clocked nearly 25 hours, but at this point I feel like I'm doing the same thing I'm always doing, and without the open areas that the Resort had, and no longer having the same sense of dread that I originally had in the City (doesn't help that I've pretty much memorized exactly where zombies appear along all my common paths), I'm getting a little bored.

The funny thing is that I didn't even really mind the sewers.

The sewers are simple. They are linear as hell. And you dont even spend that much time in them and they are more colorful than most other sewers I've seen in games.

The whole game is wasted potential though. Could have been the set up for a really good survival story. Barely used the hotel. Didnt get the explore uptown. People you rescue just disappear, never heard from again. Repetitive lines. No choice or time based tension. And its always light out, which has never made a game scarier. I imagine having to use that flashlight would have annoyed many people but it would have upped the tension at least.

Also needed better set pieces. Like whenever they'd talk about a horde of zombies coming cause of an alarm, it was like five. And no interesting bosses.

And it commits the cardinal sin of zombie media in that it refuses to use the word zombies to describe what are clearly zombies. Are the rights held by someone?

Still, very fun. Using the high level bladed weapons was cool, though they needed to make the legendaries more unique looking. If you are gonna have loot, you better put some thought into it unless you can generate a billion variations like BL (and BL loot is pretty boring)

Also this game wasnt that hard solo. I mean I died a fuck ton but I just got a skill to reduce the amount of money I lose on death and when buying items and I never dropped below 100k after midway through the jungle.

Agree with most of those impressions for sure. The set-pieces one was a big one for me, there's a place in Act III where you have to climb inside a demountable building which is dangling off the edge of a cliff, and you fully expect it to start slipping off when you go in but it just sits there, doesn't even creak.

jim-jam bongs said:
Agree with most of those impressions for sure. The set-pieces one was a big one for me, there's a place in Act III where you have to climb inside a demountable building which is dangling off the edge of a cliff, and you fully expect it to start slipping off when you go in but it just sits there, doesn't even creak.

I don't even remember that part, lol.

Phonomezer said:
I don't even remember that part, lol.

It's in
the lab
, some guy needs you to go and retrieve his laptop. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that bit was terrible or anything, just that when it came to set-pieces there were a lot of missed opportunities in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Underwhleming or non existent set pieces where is seems like there obviously should be set pieces is a good sign of a rushed or unfinished game.

Also loot needs to stick around longer. Everything disappears so fucking quick. I played borderlands right before this and green+ weapons take forever to despawn. To the point where you could crash the game fighting Crawmerax if you keep fighting him without picking up loot. But damn I'd rather that than throw something at a zombie, get sucker punched by five infected that spawned around the corner and find out the body, along with your item, has despawned. I lost all my weapons half way through act 1 like that.

A new 71 meg patch came out and now my game won't even start. I see a flash of a Dead Island logo and then nothing. I don't even leave Windows. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Same here except I get the "This program has stopped working" box too. That sucks, I was going to make a video of my sweet level 50 weapons.

HK-47 said:
Underwhleming or non existent set pieces where is seems like there obviously should be set pieces is a good sign of a rushed or unfinished game.

Also loot needs to stick around longer. Everything disappears so fucking quick. I played borderlands right before this and green+ weapons take forever to despawn. To the point where you could crash the game fighting Crawmerax if you keep fighting him without picking up loot. But damn I'd rather that than throw something at a zombie, get sucker punched by five infected that spawned around the corner and find out the body, along with your item, has despawned. I lost all my weapons half way through act 1 like that.

The complete lack of world persistence is easily the biggest flaw in the game imo. Combined with the really loose randomisation of spawns which makes clearing the same area again kind of predictable, the general approach to world state is pretty lazy.

Found a changelog posted about the changes for the patch in another forum:

-Updated the game to crash on start up.

Seriously, how do you patch a game that kills the game for everyone? How does that even get released? Heck it's the weekend too.

In software, releasing a patch on a Friday afternoon is amateur hour to be completely honest, and this fiasco demonstrates why. Ah well, gives me some time to play around with the F2P Hellgate.

jim-jam bongs said:
In software, releasing a patch on a Friday afternoon is amateur hour to be completely honest, and this fiasco demonstrates why. Ah well, gives me some time to play around with the F2P Hellgate.

I'm at 95% and was hoping to just finish it today. So I'm sorta pissed at the snafu.

Zomba13

Works fine still for me. (yes, steam updated it).

Still, really shitty releasing a patch that breaks the game for a bunch of people.

zatara

Thinking about buying this, would a loot whore be satisfied with the loot in this game. I'm talking Torchlight and Borderlands kind of loot.

Wallach

zatara said:
Thinking about buying this, would a loot whore be satisfied with the loot in this game. I'm talking Torchlight and Borderlands kind of loot.

I think the loot in this game is a bit boring, truthfully. I would say no.

FLEABttn

Banned
I really feel like Dead Island overstayed its welcome by a good 5 or 7 hours. The sewers felt wholly pointless and a complete chore, the back and forth to the police station pissed me off, the heads of Cerberus quest pissed me off, and the second half of Act IV pissed me off.

There was a solid base there but part of this game real felt poorly thought out or rushed.

zatara said:

Apparently there is a save corruption bug that results from being a loot whore.

Card Boy

Banned
from the steam forums, Unofficial patch notes

- Possible to turn voice chat off
- The "weapon throw + backspace" replication bug is gone. You cannot throw weapon and then press backspace to replicate weapon.
- Game is running better, I got 50FPS all the time, now I got 80FPS, with no lags.
- Fixed error when player had plugged in USB headphones and this caused the loud crackling. Also using the usb headphones no longer causes the game to crash to desktop. (For some users)
- Game works offline
- Intros stuttering has been fixed (at least for me)
- Game recovers corrupted saves.
- Removed 30 item stack limit. You can now have for example: one stack of 400 oleander. (So possibly fixed save game corruption due to stack limit)
- Fixed Y-Button on XBOX-Controller to bring up quest details
- Deo bombs stack works properly now
- Fixed crashes in multiplayer when player reach a checkpoint

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25637128&postcount=1

In regards to the second point :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQhXc1dHIQ

Ricker

Finally finished this tonight,54 hours,reached level 39,pretty good game all around,even if I died close to 200 times,playing as Xian...

About the ending:

I was a little upset when Jin died,I thought she was a cool character,they could of left her live...

Beat this a few days ago...39 hours, level 37, got every collectable and beat every side quest.

The highlight of the game was definitely the initial few hours in the resort/hotel and later on the jungle. The game definitely loses steam in the city,
lab
and
jail
but I still had a great time all the way through. Ending was complete shit and totally anti-climatic though.

The graphics, audio, zombie animations all played a great part in building one of the most atmospheric games this gen. Will buy the inevitable sequel for sure.

JJD

Guys have the console versions been patched yet?
I'm waiting all the game breaking and save bugs to be resolved before I start playing...

It is indeed automatically patched. If they were on a Mac I can only assume they were using Windows yeah? In that case I don't think it would really matter, Mac or PC.

alphaNoid

Banned
I just started this game and I'm liking it very much. On the surface it very much reminds me of Fallout 3, in a lite sort of way but I likey.

Carm

And the patch broke my game, crashes before even loading.

Edit: After doing some reading in the Steam forum, this fixed it.

please move in following directory and open 'game.ini' file

steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Data\

In there you can just find the sentence "Locale=En"

then, change the sentence to "Locale=en"

That's an odd thing to keep the game crashing, never happened before.

I thought the patch was supposed to fix the sound crackingly using USB keyboards/headsets and the stutter while moving?

adelante

Spent almost 60hrs playing this game co-op with my three friends, completed it at level 50
(reached level 42 through hardcore grinding before all of us decided fuck it, we got other games to play so we gonna cheat our way up to the max level)
. The ending was pretty disappointing, even worse was the final boss fight (one particular developer mod probably contributed to this haha). Overall I thought it was a HUGELY fun game, especially when you and your buddies are covering every single inch of each big map looking for any quests available (just when we thought we had run out of sidequests in the jungle we stumbled into a town up north, full of NPCs. We were so freakin excited lol). The graphics I thought are pretty damn good for an open world game. Considering how well this game sold, I really hope they're churning out a sequel.

The PC patch 1.3 is now available. Steam will update the game automatically.

This patch includes the following fixes:

1) Gameplay improvements:
· Level cap raised to 60
· New blueprints for weapon mods added
· Infected damage reduced
· Infected no longer interrupt player attacks
· A series of improvements to subsequent playthroughs implemented:
o quest XP rewards adjusted
o XP rewards for challenges adjusted
o in subsequent playthroughs XP is awarded for all quests completed in co-op
· Purna’s ammo carrying capacity increased by 50%
· Character state from a save game can now be loaded when using the Start from Chapter option
· New balancing option added: enemy levels can now be adjusted independently for each co-op player
· Players respawn with more health
· Lock pick skill level required to open a lock is now clearly indicated
· Improved rewards in weapon crates
· All weapon crates now contain rewards

2) Fixes and interface improvements
· Fix: players are no longer left without a weapon after dropping the equipped item and healing with a medkit.
· Fix: equipped items no longer swap mysteriously after drinking an energy drink
· Tweak: healing with medkits from inventory works better, makes smarter choices of medkits
· Fix: loot from dead enemies is now always identical for all co-op players
· Fix: Purna no longer finishes her Fury with fists equipped
· Fix: map tracking after death
· Fix: zone info in the quarantine zone (City of Moresby)
· Tweak: respawn point selection is now smarter

3) General
· Improved stability and network performance in co-op
· V-sync option added
· Quest and reward fixes implemented

Source

The patch changes will soon also be available for consoles as well.

Via Twitter

Top Bottom