• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Max

I am not Max
Artadius said:
I created a Steam NeoGAF Dead Island Group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFDeadIsland

Please add to OP!

Need someone to make a kick-ass logo for the group.

It's public to join so if you're reading the topic, take a second to join up so we can do PC co-op on release day :)
joined up

ibebmlzWlxgoYj.png

Nemic77

This game kind of reminds me of a zombie mod for HL called BrainBread... Crappy animations, bad netcode and lacking gameplay mechanics, such as "boss" zombies taking way too many bullets / hits to kill - Just like the video of Dead Island posted a while ago...

But it sure was a lot of fun! Just saying that sometimes there is more to a game an appearances. Dunno... This game just looks like it will be a blast to play.

Max

I am not Max
Nemic77 said:
This game kind of reminds me of a zombie mod for HL called BrainBread... Crappy animations, bad netcode and lacking gameplay mechanics, such as "boss" zombies taking way too many bullets / hits to kill - Just like the video of Dead Island posted a while ago...

But it sure was a lot of fun! Just saying that sometimes there is more to a game an appearances. Dunno... This game just looks like it will be a blast to play.
oh wow i completely forgot about that mod, it was actually such a fun game

maybe this does kind of remind me of it

The perfect Dark said:
In our german mag "maniac" it scores 70 %
:/

http://www.maniac.de/content/dead-island-0

There is some stuff that probably should be mentioned for those who don't speak German.

Apparently they only tested the Xbox360 and Ps3 versions of the game and did not play Co-op at all.
It also did not really strike me as a particularly in depth review. They barely talk about story and progression at all and I am not sure they even finished the game.

So apparently a lot of retailers have broke the street date on this including Target and Walmart. Is it all Target and Walmarts or whats the deal? Anyone in the Broome County, NY area know of some place selling it? I plan to buy it at Best Buy for the free Zombieland Blu-Ray but I may be able to be convinced to buy it elsewhere if I can get it a day early.

Dinosaur Tamer said:
There is some stuff that probably should be mentioned for those who don't speak German.

Apparently they only tested the Xbox360 and Ps3 versions of the game and did not play Co-op at all.
It also did not really strike me as a particularly in depth review. They barely talk about story and progression at all and I am not sure they even finished the game.

yes you're right but what's really annoying in my opinion: you choose one character at the beginning of the game but in cut-scenes you see all four characters talking and making decisions.....wtf?
they appear from nowhere and disappear into nowhere after every cut-scene....that's not acceptable...:eek:

ToyMachine228 said:
So apparently a lot of retailers have broke the street date on this including Target and Walmart. Is it all Target and Walmarts or whats the deal? Anyone in the Broome County, NY area know of some place selling it? I plan to buy it at Best Buy for the free Zombieland Blu-Ray but I may be able to be convinced to buy it elsewhere if I can get it a day early.

I'm originally from Broome County!

DaBuddaDa

Ahahaha IGN never ceases to amaze me with their incompetence-

"Dead Island is Fallout 3 with zombies. Plenty of people are going to compare it to Dead Rising (as you can create weapons) and Left 4 Dead (as the action is first-person and good for four players online), but when I finally got past the game's obtuse opening and less than stellar cutscenes, I found a world rife with quests, interesting environments, and a character progression system that had me begging for more hours in the day. In short, Dead Island's a rough around the edges role-playing game, and I dug it."
And then on the sidebar it says: "Genre: First-Person Action."

Fjordson

Friend snagged a 360 copy early and it looks good! Really like the setting.

Tempted to change this from a Gamefly rental to a purchase.

MjFrancis

DaBuddaDa said:
Ahahaha IGN never ceases to amaze me with their incompetence-

And then on the sidebar it says: "Genre: First-Person Action."
I've never came across a first-person action game that involved role-playing, either.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Square Triangle said:
The PS3 version has no install. I think I'm sold.

Based on the review, maybe it should have had an install :(... seems like the Bluray drive's speed is causing more texture loading slowness than the 360 version. If it would have had an install option that would have likely gone away.

Teknoman

Max said:
joined up

ibebmlzWlxgoYj.png

Same here. Thats a nice logo too.

Nemic77 said:

Bosses should take alot to die, but it seemed like they figured out Thug class zombies (aim for the head/disable limbs). I just hope the PC version netcode isnt bad (people say co-op on consoles has been pretty smooth so far...but thats before official release). The gameplay mechanics dont really seem lacking at first glance (fix weapons, find weapons, mod weapons, specific body damage on enemies, vehicles, etc).

AkuMifune

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm originally from Broome County!
Me too. Vestal. Word.

On topic, still on the fence about this, though I do have a large whole in my gaming calendar until Gears 3. hmmm.

Teknoman

Grabbed via GMG deal since the only other games I want this month are Gears 3 (Amazon 20 dollar credit) and Star Fox.

The perfect Dark said:
yes you're right but what's really annoying in my opinion: you choose one character at the beginning of the game but in cut-scenes you see all four characters talking and making decisions.....wtf?
they appear from nowhere and disappear into nowhere after every cut-scene....that's not acceptable...:eek:
That sounds really weird lol. Anyone else confirm it's as off-putting as he says? Not a deal breaker or anything

sleepykyo

The perfect Dark said:
In all youtube-videos the Ps3-Version looks on par with the 360-Version. Both versions have screen tearing and a lot of pop-in.

Seems pretty pronounced in the PS3 version. I couldn't even finish the first of the youtube videos that was posted for the PS3 version while I managed to watch 20 minutes of a 360 stream.

On another note, the no install on the PS3 version is slightly concerning since the installs are meant to address the slower data streaming on the PS3. There's going to be some significant pop in on the PS3 version.

LProtag

So I'm assuming more reviews are coming tomorrow? At this point I don't really need to preorder as I'll grab it from Amazon with prime shipping whenever I decide with my friend if we want to put the money down for it and play it together.

InsertNameHere said:
So I'm assuming more reviews are coming tomorrow? At this point I don't really need to preorder as I'll grab it from Amazon with prime shipping whenever I decide with my friend if we want to put the money down for it and play it together.

Someone mentioned there is a review embargo that will end sometime tomorrow, yes. I think 9 AM PST was brought up in this context.

AkuMifune said:
Me too. Vestal. Word.

On topic, still on the fence about this, though I do have a large whole in my gaming calendar until Gears 3. hmmm.

Small world, Endicott.

Anyway, can't help but laugh at the amount of jank when watching that PS3 coop video. Kind of what I expected, and I'm still excited.

sadromeo

The gameworld is huge. The only times I encountered any load times is during fast travel and one other point which I will not say yet, because it is kind of spoiler-ish.

However, the rest of the world probably loads on the fly. There were no "transition" scenes other than what I mentioned above.

Also, I can confirm that my campaign status saved and updated when I joined a co-op game with another player and we finished up to a certain point.

2th

Banned
wilflare said:
think he may want the Ripper 2.0 DLC or something, which GMG does not have

yeah there is other DLC on steam too. was looking for that. plus i just prefer steam. so much easier honestly.

wilflare

2th said:
yeah there is other DLC on steam too. was looking for that. plus i just prefer steam. so much easier honestly.

hmm. it's only this Ripper 2.0 that's Steam exclusive
bloodbath arena is offered to those who buy from GMG as well

sadromeo said:
The gameworld is huge. The only times I encountered any load times is during fast travel and one other point which I will not say yet, because it is kind of spoiler-ish.

However, the rest of the world probably loads on the fly. There were no "transition" scenes other than what I mentioned above.

Also, I can confirm that my campaign status saved and updated when I joined a co-op game with another player and we finished up to a certain point.
Thanks for the updates. Sounds epicccccccccc

Big Chungus

Need a few more dollars until I can buy the game off GMG..

I'll give away a Guild Wars key (that can be redeemed at the official site) to whoever uses my referral link or a copy of Monday Night combat on Steam.

PM me if interested.

Weenerz

Banned
2th said:

You get the same DLC from GMG, it's $34 and it is a Steamworks title. The only benefit from buying it directly from Steam is the weapon. You can even pre-load it now.

2th

Banned
wilflare said:
hmm. it's only this Ripper 2.0 that's Steam exclusive
bloodbath arena is offered to those who buy from GMG as well

ah sweet. wish i could do the referral code but i made my GMG account before this :(

EagleEyes

sadromeo said:

How bad has the screen tearing been for you? And which version are you playing?

wilflare

2th said:
ah sweet. wish i could do the referral code but i made my GMG account before this :(

hmm if you hadn't bought anything, i think it's worth creating a new one to get the $5 credit. :D go with whoever sent you the link earlier :D

sadromeo

I've been playing the 360 version and the screen tearing has not been bad at all.

Besides, once you start playing, you might not notice any.

Also, once you start getting use to playing with "analog" versus "digital" controls, much better.

Was only a little frustrating at first, but after while, much better.

The M.O.B said:
Sorry, with those specs your better off playing it on 360 or somethin. :/

anddo0 said:
Are you sure? Both setups meet or exceed the minimum reqs... With the 9600M, he'll be able to play on med setiings 720p at least.

Ok, I'm back to being confused again? Which is it? =) Trying to decide between playing on a PC or 360.

sadromeo said:
I've been playing the 360 version and the screen tearing has not been bad at all.

Besides, once you start playing, you might not notice any.

Also, once you start getting use to playing with "analog" versus "digital" controls, much better.

Was only a little frustrating at first, but after while, much better.

What do you mean by this?

Marty Chinn said:
Ok, I'm back to being confused again? Which is it? =) Trying to decide between playing on a PC or 360.

What do you mean by this?
If you're only going to be able to play medium settings @ 720p you might as well just get the 360 version. I'm guessing you probably have more friends on 360 as well? The online co-op would get a boost with that. Also achievements are much better on Live if you care about that stuff

Heavy said:
If you're only going to be able to play medium settings @ 720p you might as well just get the 360 version. I'm guessing you probably have more friends on 360 as well? The online co-op would get a boost with that. Also achievements are much better on Live if you care about that stuff

I won't be playing it with anyone most likely so I'm going in for a solo experience. I had a kid recently so it's tough for me to coordinate playing with other people at the moment. I was leaning toward PC for the sake of mouse and keyboard controls, but didn't want to go that route if there was a significant performance hit since both of my computers are on the older end. Achievements are ok in my book but I'd never choose a game based on it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
If this goes on sale, I'll pick it up later this year. The reviews aren't exactly painting this as a "must own" game. Still looks like it's worth a look.

Max

I am not Max
Chiggs said:
If this goes on sale, I'll pick it up later this year. The reviews aren't exactly painting this as a "must own" game. Still looks like it's worth a look.
honestly, i don't see it going on sale any cheaper than its current price of $34 this year

that's why i'm thinking of just getting it now

Card Boy

Banned
Chiggs said:

To be honest i think this might be a sleeper hit like Borderlands.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Gez said:
To be honest i think this might be a sleeper hit like Borderlands.

Well, it certainly has what looks to be an interesting multiplayer mode, so you could be spot-on with your analysis.

Top Bottom